Coming from low-carb, with a whole host of issues!

OP
E

Emstar1892

You know, guys, this is getting really tough. Half of me is saying stop, you're clearly doing the wrong thing. The other half of me is saying my body is sick, and it's only just transitioning.

But...the first half of me might be the one i'm paying attention to most :P

Basically, my body is showing every sign of inflammation since I've gone high carb. I've got acne starting, dandruff, bloating, swollen lymph nodes, tiny spots on the backs of my arms, decreased breast size, weird tiny blonde hairs on my face, missed my last period, and my last blood test came back with slightly low immune function.

Something ain't right! This all disappears when I go zero carb, but zero carb is NOT the answer. Waaaaaa. Perhaps I have to ditch the starch. Or just grains? Could it be inflammation from PUFA in oats and brown rice? Could it be insulin resistance? Could it be PCOS? Could it be sluggish thyroid? Is it all the above?

D

Derek

Emstar1892 said:
post 108498 You know, guys, this is getting really tough. Half of me is saying stop, you're clearly doing the wrong thing. The other half of me is saying my body is sick, and it's only just transitioning.

But...the first half of me might be the one i'm paying attention to most :P

Basically, my body is showing every sign of inflammation since I've gone high carb. I've got acne starting, dandruff, bloating, swollen lymph nodes, tiny spots on the backs of my arms, decreased breast size, weird tiny blonde hairs on my face, missed my last period, and my last blood test came back with slightly low immune function.

Something ain't right! This all disappears when I go zero carb, but zero carb is NOT the answer. Waaaaaa. Perhaps I have to ditch the starch. Or just grains? Could it be inflammation from PUFA in oats and brown rice? Could it be insulin resistance? Could it be PCOS? Could it be sluggish thyroid? Is it all the above?

I mean it may be best to just listen to your body. What type of foods do you really crave? If you went to the grocery store and threw everything out the window in terms of what you know about nutrition, what foods would you get?

Why are you still eating oats and brown rice? I recommended trying refined wheat, white rice and potatoes? And adding small amounts of coconut or palm kernel oil to these refined starches should make them very easy to digest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

Emma, a couple of your symptoms sound like you are either not eating enough or you are not digesting your food. Take it easy, listen to your cravings, go for food that agrees with you. The healthiest food is no good if you don't digest it well.

D

Derek

I expected you to say doughnuts, cake, chips, etc...

If beef and rice is what you crave, than eat it. I don't see why you need to take any more dietary advice from anyone. You spent a long time having people tell you what to eat (based on your history of all the diets you've tried), and that hasn't really got you anywhere. Rice and Beef is certainly ok to eat from a peat perspective. Just add a little sweetener you tolerate: sugar, honey, corn syrup, who cares. Have fruit juice with it if you tolerate that.

SO basically eating beef and rice, with fruit juice or a sweetener you tolerate; maybe with a little broccoli or some veg, is a sound diet. I have bodybuilding friends who eat 3-5 meals like this all day long and are in excellent health!

OP
E

Emstar1892

Thank you again, Giraffe and Derek. I know you're right.

I've also been having 3 meals a day without snacks. Like 3 huge meals. 170g starch carbs in each one. Calories are about 1900-2100. 10% fat, 15% protein.

I wake up with dark circles and feel terrible. After breakfast I feel high, then 2 hours later terrible. Lunch high, then terrible. After dinner I lie awake with a pounding heartbeat until about 12:30am.

I know. I'm an idiot.

With regards to the oats and rice, I really like oats, they taste all nutty and chewy and lovely. The brown rice I eat because I've been scared into never eating white rice...the media has just rammed down my throat the idea that i'll get diabetes if i look even at white rice. Never mind eating it. I'm so glad you posted here because now that I can see what I've typed I realize what a moron I've been haha!

D

Derek

What do these three meals look like? Is it rice and beef? Calories look a little low. Maybe increasing the protein and fat a little may help.

tara

Matt1951 said:
post 108509 Please, never call yourself an idiot, or a moron, again.
:1 :)

Emstar1892 said:
post 108505 I've also been having 3 meals a day without snacks. Like 3 huge meals. 170g starch carbs in each one. Calories are about 1900-2100. 10% fat, 15% protein.

I would expect to have that reaction too, if I tried to live on just three high starch meals a day. Can you have at least a drink of juice or milk or some fruit for snacks in between?

Derek said:
post 108504 If beef and rice is what you crave, than eat it.
:)

OP
E

Emstar1892

Thank you, lovely people. :)

I had beef and white rice with sweet chili sauce and it was fantastic. Eeee

I have one problem that I really want to tackle above everything else...when I go to bed at night, my heart starts racing like crazy and I get really warm. Last night it kept me up till 2am. Normally my pulse is around 45, and id love it to be higher, but this is like insane loud pounding and only when I go to bed! :(

Also, do you all take aspirin?

:)

D

Derek

I have beef or chicken with white rice, cooked green vegetables, and homemade teriyaki or hoisin sauce every day. It's awesome!

How can your heart be racing and your pulse be 45? Confused on that one? Is it pounding really hard, but slow? Or is it a racing?

No I don't take aspirin!

OP
E

Emstar1892

:D sounds tasty!!!!

As in when I wake up its 45, and its like that until nighttime, then suddenly a few hours after dinner it starts pounding and racing. Like 80 until about 3am

D

Derek

Emstar1892 said:
post 108621 :D sounds tasty!!!!

As in when I wake up its 45, and its like that until nighttime, then suddenly a few hours after dinner it starts pounding and racing. Like 80 until about 3am

You wake up with pulse of 45 eat breakfast and it stays that way? So it only increases after you evening meal?

Looks like hypothyroidism with high adrenaline? Or your late meal is actually increasing thyroid function raising your temps and pulse.

tara

When I had a pounding heart in teh night a couple of years ago, I think it was associated with hyperventilation. Have you tried slow breathing exercises before sleep? Or maybe a gentle walk after dinner (mouth shut)?

I've recently started taking about 120mg aspirin most days. I dissolve with a little baking soda in water, and add juice.
For the previous couple of years I was taking occasional aspirin at 500-1000 mg to see if they could avert migraines.

D

Derek

tara said:
post 108624 When I had a pounding heart in teh night a couple of years ago, I think it was associated with hyperventilation. Have you tried slow breathing exercises before sleep? Or maybe a gentle walk after dinner (mouth shut)?

I've recently started taking about 120mg aspirin most days. I dissolve with a little baking soda in water, and add juice.
For the previous couple of years I was taking occasional aspirin at 500-1000 mg to see if they could avert migraines.

Aspirin/caffeine combinations seem to be highly effective for migraines. Did it work at all?

OP
E

Emstar1892

I see. I've just been starting with a baby aspirin (75mg) to see if it helps with all the inflammatory symptoms I mentioned!

So here's what happens:

Wake up, pulse around 45.

Breakfast, fine, a few hours later a bit of racing, but it goes down again.

Lunch, fine, a few hours later a bit of racing, then it goes down again.

Dinner, fine then a few hours later racing like crazy for hours on end. Last night I only fell asleep after downing a tablespoon of honey and passing out with exhaustion!

tara

Derek said:
post 108626
tara said:
post 108624 When I had a pounding heart in teh night a couple of years ago, I think it was associated with hyperventilation. Have you tried slow breathing exercises before sleep? Or maybe a gentle walk after dinner (mouth shut)?

Aspirin/caffeine combinations seem to be highly effective for migraines. Did it work at all?
Sometimes deferred them for a little while, seldom stopped them. Once migraine under way, little or no use. Coffee seems to give me short term benefit but set me up for a harder fall when I do go down. I'm currently trying for small amounts of decaf coffee daily, along with the low dose aspirin, and I'm taking a single drop of oxidal most days. Ibuprofen seems more effective for me for sometimes stopping migraines in prodrome, or relieving them a littel when underway. My only effective drug once under way is sumatriptan.

D

Derek

Emstar1892 said:
post 108627 I see. I've just been starting with a baby aspirin (75mg) to see if it helps with all the inflammatory symptoms I mentioned!

So here's what happens:

Wake up, pulse around 45.

Breakfast, fine, a few hours later a bit of racing, but it goes down again.

Lunch, fine, a few hours later a bit of racing, then it goes down again.

Dinner, fine then a few hours later racing like crazy for hours on end. Last night I only fell asleep after downing a tablespoon of honey and passing out with exhaustion!

That's high adrenalin. Try eating more frequently to keep it down. You are still eating these 3 big meals a day. Maybe 6 smaller meals would be better than 3 large ones. Also, maybe adding a little more fat to the meals may help to sustain/satiate you longer?

Another thought on the high temp/pulse and raising heart at nighttime; Try having some sugared milk or even better a vanilla milkshake in the evening before bed. It may help with these issues!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals