"You Can Get Fat On Butter" - Ray Peat

amethyst

I agree with that. It still goes back to moderation IM not so HO. But butter is good for the satiation factor, your skin, anti-inflammation (as Peat said)
I mean, I have heard of "fat" diets, where all someone eats is predominately fat calories.......wasn't it a guy named Bunting or something who popularized that diet?

encerent

Does the anti-inflammation provided by butter also provided by other saturated fat sources like coconut oil?

T

tca300

" Drinking a gallon of milk per day, using 1% milk fat is usually good for a sedentary person, full fat tends to be fattening unless a person is doing hard physical work." ~ Ray Peat

When I asked him about using butter instead of hydrogenated coconut oil a while ago he said "up to two tablespoons per day was ok" (butter) Indicating more than that would be too much.

Ray's fat intake has changed over the years, a steady decline in intake as I have noticed, I think there is a reason he doesnt eat very fat much anymore.

" My fats are hydrogenated coconut oil, and a little butter and lamb fat." ~ Ray Peat

He has mentioned to me serveral times he usually only uses about 1 tablespoon of hydrogenated coconut oil per day, for frying.

"Shorter saturated fats are less harmful than PUFA; I’ve occasionally had more than 1000 calories of coconut oil in a day, but normally I just use a little for cooking. It’s safe in large amounts, but not necessary." ~ Ray Peat

So even saturated fats ( saturated free fatty acids ) are harmful, just less harmful than PUFA.

Also, something that bothers me personally is bloodflow. When these guys fed hamsters cream, they found that it caused aggregation of red blood cells.

Intravascular aggregation and adhesiveness of the blood elements associated with alimentary lipemia and injections of large molecular substances; e... - PubMed - NCBI
They noticed that bloodflow " became extremely slow in many vessels and completely stopped in some. "

I have noticed personally Improved bloodflow from lowering fat intake.
So if one is worried about starch granules blocking bloodflow, I suppose you better watch out for fat, because in larger quantities, it seems it can block bloodflow or tremendously slow it down by causing blood cells to clump, sticking together causing a sort of traffic jam.

This is a video not affiliated with the study above, giving a visual of bloodflow after a high fat meal.

I'm probably wrong, but perhaps its worth further investigation for someone whose curious or concerned.

Spokey

I like how it sounds like permission.
"Yeah, you can get fat on butter."
"Thanks Ray!" And I'm off to the larder.

Peater Piper

There's several people here that experienced positive results with large amounts of butter and dairy fat. It can be fattening, that doesn't mean it will be fattening.

papaya

i was a very strict dieter in my twenties., i literally ate ZERO fat. i was very skinny, but of course i wanted to get even skinnier so i tried the atkins fat fast. i would put cream in my coffee in the morning, but was never able to stick to the diet & would always eat fruit/carbs by the evening. i kept trying to do the fat fast & kept breaking it lol. i gained weight from just that morning cream in my coffee but i was shocked by how my brain fog cleared immediately when i had the fat. so ever since then i put half/half in my coffee & started eating avocados & other pufa.

Xisca

There's several people here that experienced positive results with large amounts of butter and dairy fat. It can be fattening, that doesn't mean it will be fattening.
Yeah!
We are not RP clones!
Why should we use exactly HIS diet, that is what Works for HIM!
He changes his diet because he changes and ages as we are all doing....

paymanz

But it shown that coconut oil around 20-30g a day can make people loss fat.so maybe the amount t is important.

In small amounts it protects you from PUFAs but in excess it shift u to beta oxidation.

But maybe if you already have low PUFA in your body then there is no need to SAF supplement.and you can make them ,except for MCT which seems like we are not good to make them.

However CLA in butter and lauric acid in coconut oil are interesting , regardless of macro nutrient point of view.

tankasnowgod

But it shown that coconut oil around 20-30g a day can make people loss fat.so maybe the amount t is important.

If you have access to the study that showed this, please post it. I'm a huge fan of coconut oil, but haven't found it to have any profound fat loss effects personally, independent of caloric intake.

tankasnowgod

I agree with that. It still goes back to moderation IM not so HO. But butter is good for the satiation factor, your skin, anti-inflammation (as Peat said)
I mean, I have heard of "fat" diets, where all someone eats is predominately fat calories.......wasn't it a guy named Bunting or something who popularized that diet?

Banting is often credited as the first low carb dieter. He did eliminate sugar, most bread, milk, potatoes and beer from his diet, but he also eliminated butter, salmon, and most pork, if you read his Letter on Corpulence (although he does reference eating bacon). He did eat fruit and vegetables, and a couple rusks, which are apparently small, hard biscuits. Overlooked by many promoting his diet is that he claimed to drink 3-7 glasses of red wine a day, along with an optional tumbler of grog (which featured hard alcohol like whiskey).

While many over the years have promoted a low carb diet in some form or another over the years, I think it was Atkins who really first focused on eating more fat.

Last edited:

schultz

lol, I think of this as Ray humour. "Hey Ray what happens if I eat too much butter?" "Uh, you can get fat..."

Another one, even funnier, in the same podcast is this...

"KAREN: Now, as people age and they tend to get a little weight accumulation, if they're taking an adequate dose of progesterone, why does that happen? RAY PEAT: Why does what happen? KAREN: Why did they continue to gain weight? I know some people are using thyroid and progesterone continue to gain weight. RAY PEAT: Depends on what they're eating, I suppose..."

Ray seems confused at the question. "Hey Ray, why do people get fat?"

paymanz

If you have access to the study that showed this, please post it. I'm a huge fan of coconut oil, but haven't found it to have any profound fat loss effects personally, independent of caloric intake.
An Open-Label Pilot Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Virgin Coconut Oil in Reducing Visceral Adiposity
The prescribed dosage was 30 mL per day taken in three divided doses, half an hour before each meal. Calculated based on the amount of lauric acid found in human mother's milk, the suggested daily intake of 24 g of lauric acid in an average adult is equivalent to 30 mL per day of VCO

Dietary coconut oil increases conjugated linoleic acid-induced body fat loss in mice independent of essential fatty acid deficiency. - PubMed - NCBI

BobbyDukes

I agree with the benefits of low fat, and I even feel better on it myself initially. But low fat, in my body, causes digestion issues/constipation like nothing else. So on day three (usually), I end up giving it up (despite the increased energy and 'lighter' feeling).

Skimmed milk is 'the daddy' for causing constipation. Hard pellets that cause intense pain in the rectum as they pass out. Very low fat cottage cheese is the same.

Fattier dairy products digest just fine.

For my body anyway, I think dairy products without the fat are just a problem. Mother Nature put that fat there for a reason.

I can just about get away with 1% milk. Anything lower than that, and I'm running into problems.

Starch also sucks in my case. For some reason, fibre or not, starch likes to sit in my intestines. And the endotoxin that follows is not nice. Starch is definitely a no, in my situation (although I love me some starch). But definitely better off without it, and ensuring that daily carrot is going through me (feel loads better with that staple).

Basically, the food supply is lame. We all make the best of it, with what we've got access to.

But yes. Low fat would be ideal for me. About 30g of fat per day, would be perfect for me (based on the lower fat trials I've done). But that depends on actually finding food that my body actually tolerates. I've been doing this for three years now, so there comes a point where you kind of realise that this is about as good as it's going to get unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ahanu

KAREN: Now, as people age and they tend to get a little weight accumulation, if they're taking an adequate dose of progesterone, why does that happen? RAY PEAT: Why does what happen? KAREN: Why did they continue to gain weight? I know some people are using thyroid and progesterone continue to gain weight. RAY PEAT: Depends on what they're eating, I suppose..."
Hahaha thanks for that :):

ArtIt

Banting is often credited as the first low carb dieter. He did eliminate sugar, most bread, milk, potatoes and beer from his diet, but he also eliminated butter, salmon, and most pork, if you read his Letter on Corpulence (although he does reference eating bacon). He did eat fruit and vegetables, and a couple rusks, which are apparently small, hard biscuits. Overlooked by many promoting his diet is that he claimed to drink 3-7 glasses of red wine a day, along with an optional tumbler of grog (which featured hard alcohol like whiskey).

While many over the years have promoted a low carb diet in some form or another over the years, I think it was Atkins who really first focused on eating more fat.
Banting was both low card and low fat eater. He mostly ate animal protein. Here's from his book the lines that describe his diet.

Attachments

• Letter on Corpulence Banting.png
    Letter on Corpulence Banting.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 36
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals