But Isn't Butter Estrogenic?

Lenny

Sinse butter is pure fat from cows, isn't it therefore estrogenic? How much butter a day is healthy and how much do you eat a day? Can somebody explain why I get hotflashes from eating butter sometimes?

Simon R.

I think Peat mentioned that there's a tiny amount of Progesterone in butter.
I currently eat about a spoon of refined coconut oil with meals that don't contain much fat.

Ulysses

Sinse butter is pure fat from cows, isn't it therefore estrogenic? How much butter a day is healthy and how much do you eat a day? Can somebody explain why I get hotflashes from eating butter sometimes?
The mammalian hormones contained in dairy are not absorbed by the body; the bioavailability is very low because they are rapidly broken down by stomach acid and rendered inert. This is why bodybuilders have to inject steroids.

From what I’ve read lately, it seems that milk has an overall estrogenic effect because of its protein profile. The whey fraction contains large amounts of serotonergic tryptophan which interferes with thyroid function and has an indirect estrogenic effect.

i’m not 100% sure about this, just My theory. I find I can eat large amounts of butter and parmesan cheese without any issues but milk often makes me feel queasy.

gaze

Animal estrogen is easily excreted by the liver. Saturated fat/vitamin A also helps liver function. there is also much more progesterone which counter acts the estrogen. So the positives highly outweighs the small amount of estrogen.

OP
Lenny

Lenny

The mammalian hormones contained in dairy are not absorbed by the body; the bioavailability is very low because they are rapidly broken down by stomach acid and rendered inert. This is why bodybuilders have to inject steroids.

From what I’ve read lately, it seems that milk has an overall estrogenic effect because of its protein profile. The whey fraction contains large amounts of serotonergic tryptophan which interferes with thyroid function and has an indirect estrogenic effect.

i’m not 100% sure about this, just My theory. I find I can eat large amounts of butter and parmesan cheese without any issues but milk often makes me feel queasy.

Good info, thank you. Same for me, when I drink more then .5 liter milk I feel like going to sleep. But large amounts of butter doesn't make me feel that way. It does however make me sweaty for a min or so, and that normaly doesnt happen at all. Thats why I suspect it being estrogenic.

Animal estrogen is easily excreted by the liver. Saturated fat/vitamin A also helps liver function. there is also much more progesterone which counter acts the estrogen. So the positives highly outweighs the small amount of estrogen.

Alright. Ray mentions that supplementing progesterone in males (that are not deficient) will cause estrogenic effects. Would't that speak against your argument?

J

jb116

Good info, thank you. Same for me, when I drink more then .5 liter milk I feel like going to sleep. But large amounts of butter doesn't make me feel that way. It does however make me sweaty for a min or so, and that normaly doesnt happen at all. Thats why I suspect it being estrogenic.

Alright. Ray mentions that supplementing progesterone in males (that are not deficient) will cause estrogenic effects. Would't that speak against your argument?
He has never said that.

Perhaps that's due to the increased metabolism, since saturated fats dilute the PUFAs in the body.

Well, in that video, Ray says that too much progesterone can oppose testosterone, but, as I understand it, that's not the same as saying that it is estrogenic. You may be confusing estrogenic with feminizing, in which case it's true: too much progesterone in men may even alter beard growth negatively, as Ray said, and men on the forum have reported less libido/ worse erections when taking lots of progesterone.

Ray was talking about high doses though, which are found in supplements. I don't think butter has enough progesterone to cause feminization in men. I think @schultz posted a study measuring the amount of estrogen and progesterone in milk. Maybe he wants to chime in if he remembers something about that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals