Eggs Fried In Butter

pauljacob

Dr. Peat mentioned in his Kmud 9.18.9 interview, that regular store eggs cannot be considered saturated because they are fed a PUFA feed. I'm Vegetarian and rely on 2 eggs a day for my protein, and my questions is: can frying eggs in butter neutralize or reduce the impact of PUFA in the eggs or not?

J

james2388

2 eggs a day for only protein.... Omg... frying eggs in butter does remove the pufa from the eggs. Hard boiled eggs is best as this provides a limited oxygen environment to produce free radicals in the pufa.
Also take with Vitamin E.
Best to buy organic eggs.
Best to skip vegetarianism and learn more about food and not be bothered with ethical concerns only nutritional.

rei

no-one is going to produce saturated fat eggs for sales, or if they do they cost like dollar a piece with all the taxes etc. that come into question. Such are almost perfect food.

PUFA eggs found in the store are certainly made better by frying in butter, as it dilutes the oils of the egg out, and when you discard the extra fat the PUFA goes down the drain. Wasteful, but healthy.

ursidae

Heated fat is inflammatory, I don’t fry anything
For some heated protein is too
I have them raw for that reason

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

2 eggs a day for only protein.... Omg... frying eggs in butter does remove the pufa from the eggs. Hard boiled eggs is best as this provides a limited oxygen environment to produce free radicals in the pufa.
Also take with Vitamin E.
Best to buy organic eggs.
Best to skip vegetarianism and learn more about food and not be bothered with ethical concerns only nutritional.
Thank you james2388 for your reply and suggestions.
As to being a Vegetarian, weirdly I was born one. My mother told me I spat out the meat the first time she put it in my mouth. However, she fed me a meat, poultry and fish rich diet until I was 15 and refused meat completely.
As to protein, I do take milk, cheese, and make my own yogurt, in addition to plant sources.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

no-one is going to produce saturated fat eggs for sales, or if they do they cost like dollar a piece with all the taxes etc. that come into question. Such are almost perfect food.

PUFA eggs found in the store are certainly made better by frying in butter, as it dilutes the oils of the egg out, and when you discard the extra fat the PUFA goes down the drain. Wasteful, but healthy.
Thank you rei, appreciate your suggestion and will follow them. I usually mop up the remaining oil, but from now on down the drain.

tanya48

Best eggs to buy are organic eggs from 100% pasture raised chickens. Chickens that are outside in the sun, on the grass, enjoying natural foraged food like insects, worms, and grubs, along with a careful supplemental diet. These have about 2% saturated fat. I throw away the whites, and eat my egg yolks raw.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

Best eggs to buy are organic eggs from 100% pasture raised chickens. Chickens that are outside in the sun, on the grass, enjoying natural foraged food like insects, worms, and grubs, along with a careful supplemental diet. These have about 2% saturated fat. I throw away the whites, and eat my egg yolks raw.
Thank you tanya48 for your input. Unless you live next or close to such a farm, the 100% pasture-raised appellation is just a marketing gimmick. I read somewhere that one egg farm punched a little square in front of the caged hens so they can see a little grass, and called that pasture-raised chickens.

tanya48

Yes, you have to watch out for that. I do live close to a local ranch where the chickens are indeed pasture raised and very healthy.

Jessie

Always try to get pasture raised if you can. If you can't find them in your area, I wouldn't stress about it. Only 2 eggs a day won't give you much PUFA, regardless of the feed the hens had. Honestly I'd be far more concerned about the low amounts of protein you're getting. Only two eggs a day isn't much protein. Vegetarians can eat dairy right?

I would recommend getting some high protein dairy like cottage cheese or greek yogurt. Just plain milk will suffice. The one negative about dairy is many companies like to put gums and carrageenan in their products, so I would look for something very clean, not many ingredients. I like making curds from powdered milk, simple to do and it's almost pure casein which is low in tryptophan and anti-inflammatory.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

Always try to get pasture raised if you can. If you can't find them in your area, I wouldn't stress about it. Only 2 eggs a day won't give you much PUFA, regardless of the feed the hens had. Honestly I'd be far more concerned about the low amounts of protein you're getting. Only two eggs a day isn't much protein. Vegetarians can eat dairy right?

I would recommend getting some high protein dairy like cottage cheese or greek yogurt. Just plain milk will suffice. The one negative about dairy is many companies like to put gums and carrageenan in their products, so I would look for something very clean, not many ingredients. I like making curds from powdered milk, simple to do and it's almost pure casein which is low in tryptophan and anti-inflammatory.
Thanks Jessie for your suggestions. I did mention in my reply to james 2388 that I do eat dairy in all its form, especially cheeses and yogurt. I haven't made curds from powdered milk, so that's my go-to project in the near future.

Jessie

No problem. It's not really the most flavorable product, kind of bland. Curds done the traditional way is much better. However it will give you a cheap and easy way to yield a high quality protein. And it can be quite tolerable when seasoned well. I use salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and fresh chopped chives. I'm sure you can make it sweet instead of salty if you wanted too. Also you can make several other things with powdered milk too, it's quite versatile: 12 Surprising Things You Can Make With Powdered Milk

rei

Thank you rei, appreciate your suggestion and will follow them. I usually mop up the remaining oil, but from now on down the drain.
No, you should not waste food. The amount of PUFA you eliminate is almost irrelevant unless you come in with a total of under 5 grams daily. I was merely making a theoretical point, the fat is largely bound to the yolk and won't come out and mix with the butter very effectively.

But certainly use butter to cook the egg, it adds delicious taste and some nutrition in addition to calories.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

It does not.
This study says it "reduces" it, as per advice above.
"Polyunsaturated fatty acids oxidation in food is generally favored by thermal processing as well as storage (Lopez-Bote et al. 1998; Nurnberg et al. 1999; Hayat et al. 2010). Eggs and pork are categories of foods that are eaten cooked, that is, after thermal processing. Consequently, due to the possible oxidation, the quantity of PUFA remaining in the food when it is eaten, that is, after storage and/or cooking, could be lower than the initial content in the raw product."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4376408/pdf/fsn30003-0140.pdf

This study says it "reduces" it, as per advice above.
"Polyunsaturated fatty acids oxidation in food is generally favored by thermal processing as well as storage (Lopez-Bote et al. 1998; Nurnberg et al. 1999; Hayat et al. 2010). Eggs and pork are categories of foods that are eaten cooked, that is, after thermal processing. Consequently, due to the possible oxidation, the quantity of PUFA remaining in the food when it is eaten, that is, after storage and/or cooking, could be lower than the initial content in the raw product."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4376408/pdf/fsn30003-0140.pdf

This is even worse than consuming undamaged linoleic Acid though; the resultant chemicals act similar in behavior to activated Prostaglandins, you do not want that; maybe increase the amount of Vitamin E you consume via supplement.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals