"Coconut Oil 'as Unhealthy As Beef Fat And Butter'"

Drareg

BBC doing their bit for the medical establishment and seed and fish oil industry,it was a aspirin propaganda earlier this week,statin sales must be down.
All companies suffering from brexit perhaps.

Last edited:
M

member 2106

Milions of people read this stuff and accept it uncritically.

chrismeyers

Nobody takes mainstream news as real anymore. You read it of course, but you think they are lying.

Elysium

To be fair, it's a fairly balanced text, or as balanced as you could expect from a main stream news outlet. All the claims are cited as such - as claims.

Though yeah those french fries are a ridiculous stock image to use in that context - a clear fail there.

It is unrealistic to expect BBC to push peat or paleo or saturated fats (though i think they have done it in the past), and even if they did, they would still do it in the same relatively unbiased way - BBC doesnt claim this to be so, someone else does.

By now everyone should know that they have to do their homework for themselves. News media isnt going to do it.

OP
Tenacity

Tenacity

Cut BBC some slack:

Saturated fat heart disease 'myth'
Saturated fat heart disease 'myth' - BBC News

Saturated fats could help prevent heart disease
Saturated fats could help prevent heart disease - BBC News
To be fair to the BBC, they also published this article:

Obesity crisis: Is this the food that is making us all fat? - BBC News

It's not the media that need to be given any grief (for the most part), it's the American Heart Association that gives the media the material needed to spread their lies.

I didn't mean this thread as an attack on the BBC, I just find it humorous that the debate around the cholesterol hypothesis is very much alive despite recent vindications of both saturated fat and cholesterol.

yerrag

I don't think this should be considered a debate at all. What's the pros and cons of saturated fats? What's the pros and cons of polyunsaturated fats? I mean, as far as health goes. Hands down, saturated fats wins. That article is just plain lying. We know lies are needed for media to get sponsorship. We reject media articles on health. Yet we can't do anything about the rest of those who trust the media. Wish there is a way for the masses to snap out of it.

Elysium

@yerrag, perhaps a bit more humility and less emotions and naivety would be in order. It is entirely possible everyone is wrong. Or maybe everyone's right. Or maybe none of it really matters at all. If it was that obvious, that crystal clear, that convincing and compelling, there would be no debate. Everyone would go your way. The bad news for you is that there are millions of people living healthy and long lives avoiding saturated fats and drowning in pufas. Or avoiding all fats. Nutrition is like religion. When you walk around screaming that your god is the true one, you're gonna come across as pretty stupid. Something to keep in mind.

yerrag

@yerrag, perhaps a bit more humility and less emotions and naivety would be in order. It is entirely possible everyone is wrong. Or maybe everyone's right. Or maybe none of it really matters at all. If it was that obvious, that crystal clear, that convincing and compelling, there would be no debate. Everyone would go your way. The bad news for you is that there are millions of people living healthy and long lives avoiding saturated fats and drowning in pufas. Or avoiding all fats. Nutrition is like religion. When you walk around screaming that your god is the true one, you're gonna come across as pretty stupid. Something to keep in mind.
I don't think this is about pride Elysium. If your yardstick is used in this forum, we would always be in doubt and afraid to speak out.

yerrag

You also have to realize that Ray Peat has convincingly explained the destructive effects of PUFAs in our diet and has also convincingly made the case for saturated fats. I also think most, if not all the members of this forum have been convinced of Ray Peat's findings regarding PUFAs and saturated fats. I do not understand why you would say of other people living on a diet consisting of PUFAs to be in any way a negation of the benefits of saturated fats such as coconut oil. The people on PUFAs suffer from many stresses and eventually encounter health issues.

Are you not convinced yourself of PUFAs being injurious to your health? Are you just trying to appear to be a "fair and balanced" observer or arbiter?

Ideonaut

there are millions of people living healthy and long lives avoiding saturated fats and drowning in pufas.
Millions of healthy old people who have drowned in PUFAs? Please show me evidence for this claim because, if true, it would go a long way toward refuting Peat.

Prosper

I also think most, if not all the members of this forum have been convinced of Ray Peat's findings regarding PUFAs and saturated fats.
It certainly is surprising that people who are willingly hanging out on a forum dedicated to cult-like worship of a single nutritionist trust the research of this nutritionist.

Have you ever been to other places where nutrition is discussed in depth online? Every thread about Ray Peat is a ******* circus of competing narratives. Outside this forum, no one is convinced of anything. Otherwise he would be more popular. You and we just can naturally see the sense in his efforts without any further need for rhetorical emphasizing.

The people on PUFAs suffer from many stresses and eventually encounter health issues.
That's a vague statement. So vague, that by disagreeing and stating that "EVERYONE suffers from stress and eventually encounters health issues", I am inherently more right than you, because my descriptive claim is more precise than your descriptive claim. Even when in reality it isn't precise at all.

Elysium

Are you not convinced yourself of PUFAs being injurious to your health? Are you just trying to appear to be a "fair and balanced" observer or arbiter?

I am fairly convinced they are injurious to MY health. But there are numerous people who aren't, and i wouldnt go around trying to shut the debate, 'hands down', acuse anyone of 'lying', or 'reject' others' views. Or imediately acuse others of just being corrupt.

Thats just a silly crusade or a jihad or whatever.

OP
Tenacity

Tenacity

I am fairly convinced they are injurious to MY health. But there are numerous people who aren't, and i wouldnt go around trying to shut the debate, 'hands down', acuse anyone of 'lying', or 'reject' others' views. Or imediately acuse others of just being corrupt.

Thats just a silly crusade or a jihad or whatever.

What you're advocating for is a scientific subjectivism. I think such a mindset is equally harmful to health, because it asserts that there can be no known truths - that thinking just blocks the path of progress. I don't think that is correct at all.

The solution isn't subjectivism, it's humility (as you pointed out earlier) - we do not know everything. But I think the role of PUFA in degenerative illness (in everyone's degeneration) is very well established on every level of analysis.