Yellow Eyes, Elevated Bilirubin Aka Gilbert's Syndrome

RWilly

It could be a protective antioxidant from high iron:
Does bilirubin protect against hemochromatosis gene (HFE) related mortality? - PubMed - NCBI

"Taken together, our data suggest that the high levels of the antioxidant bilirubin may counteract the adverse effect of oxidative stress induced by iron overload."

Also, you might look into fat soluble vitamin deficiencies. A study in alcoholics, found that:

"All subjects with elevated serum bilirubin levels demonstrated depressed serum retinol levels. However, elevated molar ratios of retinol to RBP suggest that the carrying capacity of RBP was at times exceeded, even with low serum retinol levels. Follow-up of 12 subject after 2 weeks of hospitalization revealed significant individual changes in blood chemistry, but no general trends. Although this study emphasizes the need for individual evaluation and treatment, elevated bilirubin levels may be indicative of low serum retinol levels in the alcoholic."

And here is a study in infants:
Total serum bilirubin predicts fat-soluble vitamin deficiency better than serum bile acids in infants with biliary atresia. - PubMed - NCBI

"We found that TB [total bilirubin] was a better predictor of FSV [Fat-soluble vitamin] deficiency than SBA [serum bile acid] in infants with biliary atresia.

And speaking of babies, light therapy is used for babies who have jaundice.

Motif

Does bilirubin protect against hemochromatosis gene (HFE) related mortality? - PubMed - NCBI

"Taken together, our data suggest that the high levels of the antioxidant bilirubin may counteract the adverse effect of oxidative stress induced by iron overload."

Also, you might look into fat soluble vitamin deficiencies. A study in alcoholics, found that:

"All subjects with elevated serum bilirubin levels demonstrated depressed serum retinol levels. However, elevated molar ratios of retinol to RBP suggest that the carrying capacity of RBP was at times exceeded, even with low serum retinol levels. Follow-up of 12 subject after 2 weeks of hospitalization revealed significant individual changes in blood chemistry, but no general trends. Although this study emphasizes the need for individual evaluation and treatment, elevated bilirubin levels may be indicative of low serum retinol levels in the alcoholic."

Total serum bilirubin predicts fat-soluble vitamin deficiency better than serum bile acids in infants with biliary atresia. - PubMed - NCBI

"We found that TB [total bilirubin] was a better predictor of FSV [Fat-soluble vitamin] deficiency than SBA [serum bile acid] in infants with biliary atresia.

Very interesting!
What blood tests should be done? Vitamin A, D, E, K, Iron and ferritin?

What if iron is high , but ferritin is good?

Cause this was the case for me once

RWilly

Very interesting!
What blood tests should be done? Vitamin A, D, E, K, Iron and ferritin?

What if iron is high , but ferritin is good?

Cause this was the case for me once

I'd look mainly at vitamin A and iron. And if high iron, you might consider donating blood.

You might look into Milk Thistle as well.

lvysaur

Very interesting. Altogether, this implicates milk as being pro-lowering bilirubin.
1. calcium inhibits iron absorption
2. dairy is high in retinol
3. racial/ethnic distributions: bilirubin/Gilbert's is lowest in the non-dairy adapted Asians. Higher in the dairy adapted Indo-caucasoids
Additionally, hemochromatosis is high in Europeans, especially the most lactose-digesting (Brits-Irish)
4. anecdotally, the only time I was totally free of yellow eyes was when I was eating a high dairy diet that was very low in meat.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

RWilly

Try it. Also
Very interesting. Altogether, this implicates milk as being pro-lowering bilirubin.
1. calcium inhibits iron absorption
2. dairy is high in retinol
3. racial/ethnic distributions: bilirubin/Gilbert's is lowest in the non-dairy adapted Asians. Higher in the dairy adapted Indo-caucasoids
Additionally, hemochromatosis is high in Europeans, especially the most lactose-digesting (Brits-Irish)
4. anecdotally, the only time I was totally free of yellow eyes was when I was eating a high dairy diet that was very low in meat.

Thoughts?

Are you currently a milk drinker? If so, give it a try.

Also, my nephew was yellow with jaundice when he was born and required sunlight. Are you getting sunshine?

lvysaur

Are you currently a milk drinker? If so, give it a try.
Yeah but lately I've been drinking it as a supplement basically. My diet more solid/normal.
Back at college I was on a mostly milk diet. Breakfast was always rasmalai with plenty of milk/sugar, lunch was more milk+sugar, dinner was a starch + easily digestible protein (shrimp, sometimes fish)

There were plenty of other good things that might have caused my better health then, but the milk diet was one factor

T

TheBeard

I've always had sky high bilirubin (twice the top range).
Doctors always let me go with a tap on the back "It's Gilbert syndrome".
Cool thanks but you are not telling me why I have it nor what should I do, you are just putting me inside a box and labelling me.

"You are just in the 5% of people who have high bilirubin, you know the Bell curve...".
Again, you are just putting me in a box, did you actually study 13 years to tell me this?

I have a slight yellow tint to my eyes and my face.

I've done dozens of liver flushes and coffee enemas, to no avail, my bilirubin is still high.

The ONLY supplement that has ever brought it back to normal is Ox Bile.
That must mean that indeed my liver isn't working well.

Unfortunately I had to discontinue the Ox Bile as it gave me the same lethargy and apathy as Melatonin.
After researching, it made sense, as Ox Bile does contain Melatonin.

I'm still actively researching what could be the exact cause of that high bilirubin and how one might cure it.

Andy316

I've always had sky high bilirubin (twice the top range).
Doctors always let me go with a tap on the back "It's Gilbert syndrome".
Cool thanks but you are not telling me why I have it nor what should I do, you are just putting me inside a box and labelling me.

"You are just in the 5% of people who have high bilirubin, you know the Bell curve...".
Again, you are just putting me in a box, did you actually study 13 years to tell me this?

I have a slight yellow tint to my eyes and my face.

I've done dozens of liver flushes and coffee enemas, to no avail, my bilirubin is still high.

The ONLY supplement that has ever brought it back to normal is Ox Bile.
That must mean that indeed my liver isn't working well.

Unfortunately I had to discontinue the Ox Bile as it gave me the same lethargy and apathy as Melatonin.
After researching, it made sense, as Ox Bile does contain Melatonin.

I'm still actively researching what could be the exact cause of that high bilirubin and how one might cure it.

Any updates on this @TheBeard?

T

TheBeard

Any updates on this @TheBeard?

Yep ! Chelating heavy metals seems to be the answer.
With ALA and OSR.
Mercury and aluminium are the root cause of 99% of all disease and particularly of elevated bilirubin and liver dysfunctions.

I have talked with two people who had elevated bilirubin for no reason, and who were chelating.
After 2 years of chelation their bilirubin normalized.

I started the chelation journey around a month ago.

Andy316

Yep ! Chelating heavy metals seems to be the answer.
With ALA and OSR.
Mercury and aluminium are the root cause of 99% of all disease and particularly of elevated bilirubin and liver dysfunctions.

I have talked with two people who had elevated bilirubin for no reason, and who were chelating.
After 2 years of chelation their bilirubin normalized.

I started the chelation journey around a month ago.
What is OSR? And with chelation are you experiencing any good effects like less fatigue, digestion, chemical/light/sound sensitivities?? Thanks

T

TheBeard

What is OSR? And with chelation are you experiencing any good effects like less fatigue, digestion, chemical/light/sound sensitivities?? Thanks

Not yet, it's a long process.
OSR = Emeramide = chelator

Spokey

Has anyone reduced yellowish eyes due to elevated Bilirubin levels ?

What causes this?

Is there a link with Hypothyroidism?

Thank you

Bile not getting excreted, but absorbed back into the blood.
All sorts of things can cause it, damaged bile ducts, constipation etc.
Bile in the blood probably damages thyroid and might indicate liver issues (which does stuff like convert t4 to t3),
seems like a bad place to be in with respect to hypothyroidism or anything else.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals