Reduced Eye Blinking , Low Dopamine?

Barbarossa

Hello,

I struggle with reduced eye blinking and dry eyes. Iam also Hypothyroid, and have read that dry eyes could be a symptom of hypothyroidism.
I tipped on google reduced eye blinking, and it shows me that it could be a symptom of „Parkinsons“ disease(low Dopamine?).

Do you have Information of this Problem „reduced eye blinking „? What is Ray Peat view on such a problem?

Thank you for information...

LUH 3417

That’s weird because psychopaths can stare at people without blinking (supposedly a characteristic of a psychopath) and don’t they have high dopamine?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello,

I struggle with reduced eye blinking and dry eyes. Iam also Hypothyroid, and have read that dry eyes could be a symptom of hypothyroidism.
I tipped on google reduced eye blinking, and it shows me that it could be a symptom of „Parkinsons“ disease(low Dopamine?).

Do you have Information of this Problem „reduced eye blinking „? What is Ray Peat view on such a problem?

Thank you for information...
Yes dopamine is involved in blinking.
That’s weird because psychopaths can stare at people without blinking (supposedly a characteristic of a psychopath) and don’t they have high dopamine?
Psychopaths usually have chronically elevated serotonin, not dopamine.

OP
Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Yes dopamine is involved in blinking.

Psychopaths usually have chronically elevated serotonin, not dopamine.
Iam taking Tianeptine and Cyproheptadine, can i benefit from them?

lampofred

excitatory neurotransmission raises the blink rate and inhibitory neurotransmission lowers it. i think a lowered blink rate would only be bad if your body temperature is low, a low blink rate with high body temperature means you're making lots of CO2 and GABAergic activity is high. babies barely blink.

OP
Barbarossa

Barbarossa

excitatory neurotransmission raises the blink rate and inhibitory neurotransmission lowers it. i think a lowered blink rate would only be bad if your body temperature is low, a low blink rate with high body temperature means you're making lots of CO2 and GABAergic activity is high. babies barely blink.
My basal body temperature is low, Iam taking thyroid but it doesn’t raise my basal temp.

lampofred

My basal body temperature is low, Iam taking thyroid but it doesn’t raise my basal temp.

have you checked your vit D levels? low vit D & calcium will raise cortisol by wasting glucose and protein and the high cortisol will prevent you from responding to thyroid. low protein/carb intake in general & excess FFA can also make a supplement ineffective if your vit D level is already good.

OP
Barbarossa

Barbarossa

have you checked your vit D levels? low vit D & calcium will raise cortisol by wasting glucose and protein and the high cortisol will prevent you from responding to thyroid.

I will check it as soon as possible but iam taking sometimes 10.000 ui - 20.000

LUH 3417

Do you think blood tests are reliable indicators of CO2 levels. Not ABGs, but a basic metabolic panel.

lampofred

Do you think blood tests are reliable indicators of CO2 levels. Not ABGs, but a basic metabolic panel.

do you mean the bicarbonate measure? i don't know if Dr. Peat has said anything about it but from personal experience, no, mine is usually at the upper range, even past the range, but i definitely am not producing enough CO2.

LUH 3417

do you mean the bicarbonate measure? i don't know if Dr. Peat has said anything about it but from personal experience, no, mine is usually at the upper range, even past the range, but i definitely am not producing enough CO2.
Yes I meant bicarbonate. Before reading Dr. Peat mine was around 22..past few readings have been around 28 but I don’t think I produce a lot of CO2. Curious as to what it means.

lampofred

Yes I meant bicarbonate. Before reading Dr. Peat mine was around 22..past few readings have been around 28 but I don’t think I produce a lot of CO2. Curious as to what it means.

total guess but maybe it could be a sign of increased lactate? since bicarbonate rises in response to acidity. if you have gone from burning mostly fat in the past to now using more sugar, then increased lactic acid raising acidity in an unhealthy way (as opposed to CO2) could explain the increased bicarb requirements.

LUH 3417

total guess but maybe it could be a sign of increased lactate? since bicarbonate rises in response to acidity. if you have gone from burning mostly fat in the past to now using more sugar, then increased lactic acid raising acidity in an unhealthy way (as opposed to CO2) could explain the increased bicarb requirements.
My BUN was also pretty high and sometimes it burns when I pee but I have no UTI or issues around infection. So maybe increased acidity burdening the kidneys?

lampofred

My BUN was also pretty high and sometimes it burns when I pee but I have no UTI or issues around infection. So maybe increased acidity burdening the kidneys?

Don't know much about specific metrics like BUN but sometimes if I am very dehydrated I get burning urine (dehydration at the cellular level, not related to how much water I drink). Coke/Pepsi help a lot (but the HFCS can increase endotoxin and the fluroide can turn off thyroid). It happens if I eat oysters, I don't really know why but maybe because of the copper/iron content?

I think Peat would say calcium, vitamin D, magnesium are very important for this, but I am starting to think concentric-only exercise can also help a lot to increase cellular hydration if other things aren't working. Coconut oil & aspirin too.

Last edited:

LUH 3417

Don't know much about specific metrics like BUN but sometimes if I am very dehydrated I get burning urine (dehydration at the cellular level, not related to how much water I drink). Coke/Pepsi help a lot (but the HFCS can increase endotoxin and the fluroide can turn off thyroid). It happens if I eat oysters, I don't really know why but maybe because of the copper/iron content?

I think Peat would say calcium, vitamin D, magnesium are very important for this, but I am starting to think concentric-only exercise can also help a lot to increase cellular hydration if other things aren't working. Coconut oil & aspirin too.
Thanks.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Iam taking Tianeptine and Cyproheptadine, can i benefit from them?
Possibly. Although I'd rather go for the natural route of lowering serotonin and increasing dopamine. Lowering serotonin with things like aspirin, gelatin, increase CO2, calcium, vitamin D, etc., and increase dopamine with food, B-vitamins, sunlight, relaxing, doing enjoyable exploratory things or exercise.