Would you buy a grass fed imported liver instead of your local fresh grain fed liver?

Aymen

So i found beef liver in a supermarket imported from victoria australia, it's double the price than my local liver though.

In my country the cattle are mostly fed grains, corn and soy so the beef is low quality. Warm climate usually has bad quality milk and beef but good quality fruits.

I read that in australia the majority of the cattle spend a lot of time outside eating grass so which is good quality, grass fed beef also has more vitamin k2 and E and better fatty acids profile.

The downsides of buying the imported liver is i don't know if it's old or fresh but i see the blood in the frozen package and the grain fed liver that i get from the butcher is usually fresh.

Which one would you buy if you were me?

Kimster

Forum Supporter
I'd buy Organic grassfed pastured dessicated beef liver capsules. Then search locally or online for organic grassfed fresh liver if you still want fresh.
Heart & Soil is one brand, though there are many online for capsules. Most of it comes from New Zealand.

Peatress

I'd buy Organic grassfed pastured dessicated beef liver capsules. Then search locally or online for organic grassfed fresh liver if you still want fresh.
Heart & Soil is one brand, though there are many online for capsules. Most of it comes from New Zealand.
Dr Peat was asked about these

HeyThere

I tried Grass fed organic whatever-whatever from ALDI numerous times now and I just hated the taste and the texture.

Am I "dumbed down" to like bad beef?? I mean yeah, it's leaner so there is less fat (flavor). The texture was just... gross at the lack of a better word.

Has anybody else tried their similar meat?

Kimster

Forum Supporter
I tried Grass fed organic whatever-whatever from ALDI numerous times now and I just hated the taste and the texture.

Am I "dumbed down" to like bad beef?? I mean yeah, it's leaner so there is less fat (flavor). The texture was just... gross at the lack of a better word.

Has anybody else tried their similar meat?
Grassfed beef needs to be cooked differntly than grain fed, grain finished. It's leaner and has less marbling. Investigate cooking grassfed beef and perhaps you'll enjoy it more.

LarryinBangkok

Forum Supporter
Which one would you buy...?

Where I live, the best beef is imported from Australian/NewZealand.
That grass-fed/pastured meat is the best tasting beef I've ever had.
It never has any of the chemical after-taste that I've noticed in some grain-fed beef.
I'm willing to pay extra for quality like that.

We have one grocery store here which refuses to sell "local" beef, even though the price is much
less than the imported, grass-fed beef from Australia/New Zealand.
The store owner claims that all local, grain-fed beef has been fed some kind of hormones and/or antibiotics.
I'm willing to pay more to avoid hormones and antiobiotics in my beef.

Australian and New Zealand ranchers have started to gather in marketing co-ops with brand names.
I've found consistently excellent quality from "Cape Grimm" beef from Tasmania, Australia.
If you can find Cape Grimm brand beef, I recommend trying it to see for yourself.

Last edited:
Below is a post regarding freeze dried liver. Dr peat expresses caution. Furthermore, he thinks defatting is good. This supplement is not deffated. Raw glands carry the risk of infection too.

Question : Do you have any opinion on Grass fed capsules or all "Peaty" website selling this. They are saying that for exemple Brain beef capsules promote new nerons and many other benefits.

RP : I haven’t heard of those products; I thought people had stopped using anything containing beef brain or spinal cord because of the mad cow prion disease problem. Grass feeding doesn’t matter for desiccated thyroid because it’s throughly defatted.

Question : Should we also be careful with Grass Beef Liver Capsules ? Collagen Hydrolysate ?

RP : Defatted liver capsules provide iron, some trace minerals, and at least some of the B vitamins, but there have been studies of multivitamin-mineral tablets that found that including copper and iron in a formula destroyed most of the vitamins. If they are freeze-dried, with the oily vitamins still present, the fragments of oxidized vitamins A and K are likely to be harmful.

slimdaddydogjim

Forum Supporter
My first experience with trying liver was with Wellshire's turkey liverwurst. Their labeling said, 'Fed a vegetarian diet', which most likely meant grain-fed. I noticed significant improvements within 1-2 weeks of eating this stuff (sharper vision, and fuller and thicker hair growth were the most prominent). Then Whole Foods stopped selling this stuff and so I spent years taking various different grass-fed desiccated liver supplements from New Zealand, Argentina, and the USA. I never saw a single benefit while taking desiccated liver like I saw when I ate fresh grain-fed liverwurst!

I eventually decided to give liverwurst another try and so I bought some grain-fed pork liverwurst. Immediately, I noticed the same improvements with sharper vision and fuller and thicker hair that I hadn't seen since the last time I had liverwurst years earlier. I switched to grain-fed beef liver next and the benefits improved. I eventually switched to grass-fed beef liver and all of those same benefits were improved even more.

With all of that said, I would choose fresh grain-fed liver any day before grass-fed desiccated liver!

OP
A

Aymen

I'm willing to pay more to avoid hormones and antiobiotics in my beef.
Certified organic grass fed > grass fed > grain fed.

Keep in mind that Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the US, Japan and South Africa use Hormonal growth promotants in beef (HGPs), i would take lean cuts of grass fed beef if i can't afford organic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals