For Those Of You Who Eat 1oz Liver Every Day

miquelangeles

I can't stand beef liver, so I make chicken liver pate (organic liver through Azure, shipped in on a monthly truck run.) It is quite tasty and easy to eat an ounce of liver - maybe an ounce and a half of pate - everyday. Goes well on crackers. I take a pound of liver, make pate, divide into four balls, freeze those on a cookie sheet, then put them in a freezer bag for later thawing. That way the longest it sits in the fridge is three or four days. Best served chilled. If you are worried about not getting enough Cu eating chix liver instead of beef, supplement with 3 oz smoked oysters in olive oil once or twice per week.
Pate is great, but I never felt the same effects as with fresh liver lightly fried and consumed immediately. I’ll try to preserve the cooked pieces in olive oil and see how it goes.

miquelangeles

Some people run it through a food processor and make small liver ice cubes.
Yes, I’ve read about that. But if I wanted to eat it raw and frozen I’d rather just cut it in cubes instead. Blending whips small air bubbles into it and promotes oxidation, exactly why Ray advises against taking dehydrated liver capsules.

Do you feel greater benefits from eating it raw, or you particularly enjoy the raw taste or just being lazy?
Raw beef liver has a very mild taste somehow - cooking somewhat exaggerates it’s taste so it needs a bunch of spices to cover it up. Not sure about the benefits, didn’t pay much attention to it. Chicken liver tastes good cooked.

Tash

Do you feel greater benefits from eating it raw, or you particularly enjoy the raw taste or just being lazy?
lol! cheeky
I won't lie it doesn't get more painless than defrosting small chunks of pre-cut ox liver as a snack with a latte. I have done the French chicken liver pate thing, the Venetian liver and onions thing, simple pan-fried, slipped amounts into lasagne, but it somehow tastes too rich with all the other flavours.

Maybe I'm some kind of pervert but I've just really gotten into raw beef. Steak tartare, lightly seasoned heart - omg. I get that there are risks to raw but in moderate amounts and good quality grass-fed (www.farm2fork.co.uk) hopefully I'll live. Every choice in life's a trade of some kind I guess.

Tash

Raw beef liver has a very mild taste somehow - cooking somewhat exaggerates it’s taste so it needs a bunch of spices to cover it up. Not sure about the benefits, didn’t pay much attention to it. Chicken liver tastes good cooked.
totally agree

miquelangeles

lol! cheeky
I won't lie it doesn't get more painless than defrosting small chunks of pre-cut ox liver as a snack with a latte. I have done the French chicken liver pate thing, the Venetian liver and onions thing, simple pan-fried, slipped amounts into lasagne, but it somehow tastes too rich with all the other flavours.

Maybe I'm some kind of pervert but I've just really gotten into raw beef. Steak tartare, lightly seasoned heart - omg. I get that there are risks to raw but in moderate amounts and good quality grass-fed (www.farm2fork.co.uk) hopefully I'll live. Every choice in life's a trade of some kind I guess.
:):
I would eat beef liver raw but not pork liver, and unfortunately pork is what seems to work best for me. Liver is one of those foods that continues to cook even after you turn off the heat, so timing is important. When cooked rare or medium-rare it is very sweet and creamy, closer to its raw taste.
Steak tartar is amazing but I haven't made it a habit. There seems to be something special about raw meat and raw animal fats in particular that others have mentioned too. I suspect more or less naturally occurring steroids that would otherwise be modified by cooking.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals