Will Taking A Thyroid Supplement Lower Prolactin?

bodacious

I'm a male, 29, with very high prolactin (33.63ng/mL, or 713mIU/L) and need some advice on bringing it back down.

Funny story: I spoke to my doc a week ago about some symptoms I'd been having (hair thinning, poor mood, weight gain, anxiety, etc.) that seemed to be getting worse. The doc ran a full set of bloodworks. I knew that Prolactin wasn't included in the tests so I paid to have a Prolactin test taken privately.

The doc called me this morning to let me know that my tests all came back normal. Coincidentally, I also got the results from my private prolactin test back today: 33.63ng/mL. I believe the healthy range for someone my age, gender, and size is about 4-7ng/mL.

So I'm looking for advice to reduce my prolactin. I've put myself under a lot of stress over the past few years which I'm sure is what has caused this, but I'm taking steps to reduce my day-to-day stress.

I've been "Peating" for about 4 months, and my diet now is not dissimilar to the one Danny Roddy showed in his video

Current supplements:
I've started taking supplements reluctantly since I began Peating.
- 8 drops of EstroBan daily
- 100mg pregnenolone
- 550mg niacinamide
- 3g Taurine

I'm really not keen to add any more to that cocktail—Ideally I'd like to avoid supplements.

I've been taking daily temperature and pulse 3x per day:

Temperature:
In the morning it's typically as low as 96.08*F (35.6*C). In the afternoon it sometimes climbs up to 98.42*F (36.9*C) but that's a very recent development.

Pulse rate:
My pulse rate is super low. Sometimes 48. Never more than about 64 unless I'm outrunning a lion. I've been a competitive olly weightlifter for a few years so always attributed my low RHR to being fit and healthy, but now I think it might be indicative of poor metabolism.

My questions:
- Is a thyroid supplement likely to help lower my prolactin levels?
- If so, any recommendations?
- Does anybody have experience with lowering prolactin with vitamin B6?

Any other information you could add to demystify this issue would be greatly appreciated.

J

jb116

The answer is conditional. If one takes thyroid but does not support the increased nutritional needs you could in essence
create more stress increasing prolactin in turn releasing more fatty acids, and so on in a vicious cycle. So if you take it, get
plenty of carbs/protein and also calcium since prolactin works closely with the parathyroid. Calcium will help suppress it. B6 otherwise is also very good at controlling it.

OP
bodacious

bodacious

The answer is conditional. If one takes thyroid but does not support the increased nutritional needs you could in essence
create more stress increasing prolactin in turn releasing more fatty acids, and so on in a vicious cycle. So if you take it, get
plenty of carbs/protein and also calcium since prolactin works closely with the parathyroid. Calcium will help suppress it. B6 otherwise is also very good at controlling it.
Thanks, I'm also taking 1/4 tsp of egg shell calcium per day.

OP
bodacious

bodacious

I'm on about 3000 calories per day. 50% carbs, mostly simple sugars.

J

jb116

I'm on about 3000 calories per day. 50% carbs, mostly simple sugars.
Ok and depending on the length of time you've been getting these calories and eating the right foods, then you should be
able to slowly introduce thyroid, taking it slow and paying attention to how you respond.

OP
bodacious

bodacious

Would @haidut's TyroMax be appropriate? I'm still not sure what the pros/cons of topical NDT vs T3/T4 medication are.

J

jb116

Would @haidut's TyroMax be appropriate? I'm still not sure what the pros/cons of topical NDT vs T3/T4 medication are.
haidut makes very quality products so your decision must be based on how you personally get along with it.
Add to that the numerous testimonials on using his stuff, I'd think it's worth trying. You can always test it out for your self
which really is the best way to know.

OP
bodacious

bodacious

haidut makes very quality products so your decision must be based on how you personally get along with it.
Add to that the numerous testimonials on using his stuff, I'd think it's worth trying. You can always test it out for your self
which really is the best way to know.

My question wasn't "are haidut's products right for me", but rather "Is topical NDT taken for the same purpose as oral T3 or T4". I'm sorry if my phrasing was a little vague

J

jb116

My question wasn't "are haidut's products right for me", but rather "Is topical NDT taken for the same purpose as oral T3 or T4". I'm sorry if my phrasing was a little vague
Got it. Is topical NDT taken for the same purpose? Yes of course. I responded with product quality assessment in mind because
the idea of purpose for either method is implicit, to me at least. So from there, again, it's a matter of an individual trying a
particular product to see if it works for them regardless of method. Just ensure to do it right whichever way you decide to go.

OP
bodacious

bodacious

Got it. Is topical NDT taken for the same purpose? Yes of course. I responded with product quality assessment in mind because
the idea of purpose for either method is implicit, to me at least. So from there, again, it's a matter of an individual trying a
particular product to see if it works for them regardless of method. Just ensure to do it right whichever way you decide to go.
Thanks @jb116!

tara

but rather "Is topical NDT taken for the same purpose as oral T3 or T4".
People take it for the same reasons, but IIUC a couple of quotes from Peat, he says NDT needs to be digested to get the active hormones out of it, so there is some doubt about whether topical can deliver as much to the system as the oral route can. Good NDT should give T3 and T4, but various products seem to be more or less potent.

I agree with jb116 about trying and seeing what works, starting with a little and only incrementing after at least 2 weeks if needed.

OP
bodacious

bodacious

People take it for the same reasons, but IIUC a couple of quotes from Peat, he says NDT needs to be digested to get the active hormones out of it, so there is some doubt about whether topical can deliver as much to the system as the oral route can. Good NDT should give T3 and T4, but various products seem to be more or less potent.

I agree with jb116 about trying and seeing what works, starting with a little and only incrementing after at least 2 weeks if needed.
Thanks @tara

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals