I'm desperate, prolactin is out of control despite taking anti-prolactin substances

tastyfood

I've been dealing with high prolactin for the last 6 months and the result I got from yesterday is terrifying.

28.2 ng/mL (reference range 4.0-15.2). This is a jump from 16.3 from a month and half ago! I can provide more info about other results, but they are all in range. My TSH is suppressed due to supplementation and my ratio total T3/T4 favors T3. My total cholesterol was 186 this time.

For context, these are the things that happened around the testing time:

- Test was done at 8am, in a non fasted state. I had a light breakfast to get off the stress state. I measured temps before the test and it was 98.6F.
- I took thyroid the morning before the test.
- 8 tubes with blood were extracted from me because I requested many different test.
- I tested on Thursday morning, and I had two ejaculations on Monday, one in the morning for a semen analysis (masturbation) and one at night (intercourse with my partner).
- I recovered from Covid 3 weeks ago.
- I have been dealing with a bit of asthma this last week.

After seeing the 16.3 result in December, I started an updated protocol with anti-prolactin substances to see if that would help bring it down to 10-12.

- 6 drops Metergoline and 2 drops Lisuride in the morning.
- 4 drops Gonadin close to noon.
- 1 drop Kuinone on scrotum.
- 2 drops Pansterone on scrotum in the evening.
- 2 drops Cortinon+ in the evening.
- 20 mg Progest-E in the evening.
- Full dose Pyrucet after lunch.
- Full dose Lapodin occassionaly.

I have also been taking this last month:
3k UI Vitamin D, 20mg Kuinone, 150 T4 and 50 T3 split in 5 doses not to exceed 10 mcg of T3 each time.

Questions:

- Am I doing harm by taking the dopaminergic substances? Is that wreaking more havoc in my pituitary, increasing prolactin further?
- It seems that every time I take things that forcefully try to increase testosterone, my prolactin goes up. This happened to me when I took low doses of exemestane. I wonder if the scrotal application of Pansterone contributed to increase in prolactin.

Any thoughts, comments, feedback, would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'd try prunella vulgaris and/or long fan xiegan tang. Both upregulate the dopamine receptors. Prunella is anti-estrogen and lowers prolactin via a pituitary and non-pituitary way.
Both supps have long been used for estrogen and prolactin dominant issues.

Gonadin should lower E and increase dopamine, but as far as I knownit doesn't upregulate dopamine receptors.

Dopamine agonists such ad metergoline or lisuride can also cause desensitization in the long run.

Have you had PTH checked?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I'd try prunella vulgaris and/or long fan xiegan tang. Both upregulate the dopamine receptors. Prunella is anti-estrogen and lowers prolactin via a pituitary and non-pituitary way.
Both supps have long been used for estrogen and prolactin dominant issues.

Gonadin should lower E and increase dopamine, but as far as I knownit doesn't upregulate dopamine receptors.

Dopamine agonists such ad metergoline or lisuride can also cause desensitization in the long run.

Have you had PTH checked?

Yes. PTH was 20, lower than the last time, close to the bottom of the range. I'm waiting for the results for serotonin, ACTH, and DHT which should provide a bit more color.

Everything I got so far was ok except prolactin. The scrotal application experiment didn't increase my levels of testosterone in the blood at all.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yes. PTH was 20, lower than the last time, close to the bottom of the range. I'm waiting for the results for serotonin, ACTH, and DHT which should provide a bit more color.

Everything I got so far was ok except prolactin. The scrotal application experiment didn't increase my levels of testosterone in the blood at all.
Yeah those steroids (mostly DHEA) are more likely to increase androsterone and androstanediol than testosterone. The whole androgenic is important to look at.

Peater

Well you've been through in your approach, lisuride and metergoline were what i first thought of. Let us know how you get on. Do you have symptoms?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Well you've been through in your approach, lisuride and metergoline were what i first thought of. Let us know how you get on. Do you have symptoms?

Hair has been thinning (on the hairline). And I'm noticing grey hairs for the first time in my life.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

How much calcium, magnesium and salt are you getting?

Calcium is 2g+ most days. I don't always measure magnesium but it's probably upwards of 200mg on average. I get it from coffee, milk, leafy greens, hot chocolate, zucchinis.

I get salt to taste. I could probably get a bit more every day. I am going to start salting my milk lightly. It's hard to tell how much without measuring.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I found this quote from a book:

Martin, C. Endocrine Physiology. 1985 "....and sharp peaks have been observed following food ingestion"

I had a light breakfast 50 minutes before the test. Wonder if that had an effect...

youngsinatra

Stress increases prolactin. I‘d definitely start adding in a pure magnesium supplement.

2000mg of calcium relative to 200mg magnesium is way out of balance. A high calcium:magnesium ratio is associated with bad outcomes like mortality, even just with a ratio of 3:1.

1.7:1 to 2:1 of Ca:Mg seems a good ratio, so I‘d try 800mg of elemental magnesium through glycinate or malate chelates, spread into 2-3 doses a day. I‘d try to find a pure supplement without cellulose fillers, so just magnesium + capsule.

Magnesium is also depleted in many soils.

maillol

In my case my elevated prolactin was caused by iron. Since I gave blood and stopped using cast iron cookware my prolactin has started to go down.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

In my case my elevated prolactin was caused by iron. Since I gave blood and stopped using cast iron cookware my prolactin has started to go down.

Thanks for sharing. I've tested iron saturation several times and it's always been around 25%, indicating low enough iron.

PaRa

iron deficiency shoots prolactin up
do your bloods fasted
make sure vit D is sufficient
no infections isssues ?

high doses (800ui/day) vit E and B6 (P5P, 100mg or more /day) can help to lower prolactin but probably don't fix the underlying issue

probably take too much supps too

i had high range prolactin, never had any benefits from metergoline, caffeine, E, Bs, zinc, .... etc etc, only iron supplementation helped (was supeeeer low iron, ferritin at 7, CRP low etc etc)

full iron panel can help

EDIT : because the iron deficiency does not exist has to stop
(more over it's in human lol)

Last edited:
OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Orthorexia might raise prolactin more than the lowering effect of prolactin-antagonizing substances.

Thanks for the comment. Thankfully, since finding Peat, I don't have orthorexia anymore. I have some guiding principles, but I eat what I want for the most part.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

iron deficiency shoots prolactin up
do your bloods fasted
make sure vit D is sufficient
no infections isssues ?

high doses (800ui/day) vit E and B6 (P5P, 100mg or more /day) can help to lower prolactin but probably don't fix the underlying issue

probably take too much supps too

i had high range prolactin, never had any benefits from metergoline, caffeine, E, Bs, zinc, .... etc etc, only iron supplementation helped (was supeeeer low iron, ferritin at 7, CRP low etc etc)

full iron panel can help

EDIT : because the iron deficiency does not exist has to stop
(more over it's in human lol)
Thanks for the comments. Agree that I was taking too many supplements and I likely asked my body to do too much, causing a stres reaction.

I've had many full iron panels and they were always fine. I eat liver once a week, oysters, and other things that have iron.

Vitamin D levels are greater than 50.

Doing the bloods fasted can help rule out the effect of food ingestion. I took my blood too close to breakfast.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Stress increases prolactin. I‘d definitely start adding in a pure magnesium supplement.

2000mg of calcium relative to 200mg magnesium is way out of balance. A high calcium:magnesium ratio is associated with bad outcomes like mortality, even just with a ratio of 3:1.

1.7:1 to 2:1 of Ca:Mg seems a good ratio, so I‘d try 800mg of elemental magnesium through glycinate or malate chelates, spread into 2-3 doses a day. I‘d try to find a pure supplement without cellulose fillers, so just magnesium + capsule.

Magnesium is also depleted in many soils.
Thanks for the comments.

Agree with stress increasing prolactin. I think I took too many supplements that caused a stress reaction.

I probably get much more magnesium than what I was able to quote, but I don't always measure it. I go through periods of using Cronometer, but stop after a few days when I think I have things dialed in.

I'd rather not have to use a magnesium supplement. It's hard to purchase the right product, and I'm trying to take fewer supplements based on the problems they have caused.

changeling188

what type of milk do you drink? i've read elsewhere that because of industrial factors and intensive agricultural practices cow milk contains more prolactin than goat milk. though i'm not sure how much different this would make to endogenous prolactin production.

lisuride is histaminergic and serotonergic, and probably taking all of those supplements is stressful to your digestive system and psychosomatically harmful. foods high in zinc have a useful anti-prolactin effect like shellfish. anything which will disengage the histamine response, which i think is caused by too many supplements. though i'm aware you have acknowledged this :)

a friend of mine was experiencing hyperprolactinaemia and the result was that she had a benign tumor pushing on her pituitary gland, and the tumor perhaps caused by years of taking mood stabilisers and anti-depressants.

best of luck :)

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

what type of milk do you drink? i've read elsewhere that because of industrial factors and intensive agricultural practices cow milk contains more prolactin than goat milk. though i'm not sure how much different this would make to endogenous prolactin production.

lisuride is histaminergic and serotonergic, and probably taking all of those supplements is stressful to your digestive system and psychosomatically harmful. foods high in zinc have a useful anti-prolactin effect like shellfish. anything which will disengage the histamine response, which i think is caused by too many supplements. though i'm aware you have acknowledged this :)

a friend of mine was experiencing hyperprolactinaemia and the result was that she had a benign tumor pushing on her pituitary gland, and the tumor perhaps caused by years of taking mood stabilisers and anti-depressants.

best of luck :)

I drink 1% cow's milk, organic, mostly the Clover brand from California. It's never given me issues and my prolactin has been as low as 8 when drinking this milk.

Thanks for the comments about the histamine response.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals