Previous Use Of ADHD Meds Cause Low Metabolism, High Prolactin

Maui96

Hi I am a 22 year old male and I have a resting pulse rate of about 50bpm. sometimes when I wake up in the morning it can be as low as (47-48bpm), body temps are also low(averaging arround 96 fareneight upon rising). From my latest blood work, my tsh is at 2.0 and doc says everything looks fine. I've been on and off ADHD medications (Concerta & Vyvanse) from 2012 to 2018. Could the use of these meds have caused damage to the dopamine receptors causing even lower dopamine = high prolactin= suppressing metabolic rate...ect
Has anyone here ever dealt with such an issue and if so what actions could be taken to bring back the metabolism in normal ranges?
Oh and btw I am not an athlete... I live a mostly cendentary lifestyle.
Thanks!

Beefcake

Hi I am a 22 year old male and I have a resting pulse rate of about 50bpm. sometimes when I wake up in the morning it can be as low as (47-48bpm), body temps are also low(averaging arround 96 fareneight upon rising). From my latest blood work, my tsh is at 2.0 and doc says everything looks fine. I've been on and off ADHD medications (Concerta & Vyvanse) from 2012 to 2018. Could the use of these meds have caused damage to the dopamine receptors causing even lower dopamine = high prolactin= suppressing metabolic rate...ect
Has anyone here ever dealt with such an issue and if so what actions could be taken to bring back the metabolism in normal ranges?
Thanks!

Do you have other symptoms? I doubt it would had damaged you to that degree and suspect that poor health in some sort of way is causing your issues. Lots of people have similair problems living just a regular life. Can you post lab results of what you have tested? Only thing I could think of regards to the meds is that your dopamine has adjusted and downregulated while you where on the drugs and still haven’t caught up after you quit. It can take 1-3 years worst cases I’ve read about but I think this sounds unlikely. Did you have symptoms while you where taking the meds aswell? My theory is that you had low dopamine before the meds already. Thats why you had and got the adhd diagnosis. ADHD is caused by dopamine inbalance that’s why you get dopamine agonists. I would suspect a nutrient deficiency that has followed you since young age. There’s several vitamins and minerals involved with dopamine and dopamine receptor regulation. Deficiencies in these nutrients has been linked to ADHD.
The two primay nutrients attributed to ADHD are iron and vitamin D. You also need good levels of the B vitamins. I would get a blood test to check your vitamin D and ferritin (stored iron).
The Magic Mineral: Iron

Higher Prevalence of Iron Deficiency as Strong Predictor of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children

Iron, Dopamine, and ADHD

The forum member Douglas Ek even has a thread about low iron raising prolactin
Iron Deficiency Alters Serum Prolactin (high Prolactin)

Impact of Vitamin D Supplementation on Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children. - PubMed - NCBI

Effect of vitamin D treatment in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. - PubMed - NCBI

Calcium, vitamin D, vitamin K has been shown to regulare Parathyroid hormone and PTH has been shown to affect prolactin (breast milk hormone). That makes sense since PTH regulates calcium and prolactin regulates breast milk production in women which would be related to calcium if yoy follow my thinking. So calcium, vitamin K and vitamin D can all lower prolactin.

lampofred

Thanks!

Dopamine stimulating medications like amphetamines, nicotine, even aspirin drain your body in a very fundamental way... Basically everything Dr. Peat says which will help to increase the metabolic rate and restore energy reserves will help. Keeping sugar up, animal protein up, including gelatin in the diet, getting sunshine/red light, avoiding PUFA, taking thyroid, ensuring fat-soluble vitamin intake is adequate, etc.

I would be careful about supplementing iron. Issues that are attributed to low iron often have other causes such as lack of gelatin intake, low thyroid, poor salt retention, etc.

ShotTrue

Thanks!
I definintely noticed lowered appetite. Those medications may also be hepatoxic. I could also see them downgrading dopamine receptors like you said.
I don't know enough about that hormonal chain effect but you should focus now on exercise (weight training), protein, avoiding those drugs. Vitamin D increases dopamine. The best you can do here is a strong diet and active lifestyle and social life and the brain will heal itself

Beefcake

I definintely noticed lowered appetite. Those medications may also be hepatoxic. I could also see them downgrading dopamine receptors like you said.
I don't know enough about that hormonal chain effect but you should focus now on exercise (weight training), protein, avoiding those drugs. Vitamin D increases dopamine. The best you can do here is a strong diet and active lifestyle and social life and the brain will heal itself

I would use exercise but rather go for mood elevating exercise like running rather than lifting lots of heavy weight. Depends on your exercise tolerance but if you feel sick with messed up hormones you’re probably quite exercise intolerant and I would warrant to take it easy at first and focus more on letting the body heal.

Dopamine receptor sensitivity changes are reversible in 2-3 months.it isnt a permanent issue.
receptors are also degraded and built anew,they sound more permanent than they are.
I advise for high protein,200g, high meat clean eating Diet,with ripe fruit and buttefat,low salt 100-1500mg Sodium from
all sources,and a good multivitamin-multielement Multi.

jet9

Dopamine receptor sensitivity changes are reversible in 2-3 months.it isnt a permanent issue.
receptors are also degraded and built anew,they sound more permanent than they are.
I advise for high protein,200g, high meat clean eating Diet,with ripe fruit and buttefat,low salt 100-1500mg Sodium from
all sources,and a good multivitamin-multielement Multi.
Tristan could you tell why low salt for dopamine?

Back
Top Bottom