What to do when T3 does not enter at the cell - what to do alternatively

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Yeah. I know many have great success with treating their (functional) hypothyroidism without taking thyroid medications with Josh Rubin‘s RTN method, which is doing exactly that: supporting the metabolic needs and lowering the stress placed on our physiology by creating lifestyle and dietary changes.

He has YouTube videos about thyroid resistance / Wilson’s syndrome on his channel „EastWest Healing“

I believe he said that most (90%+) of thyroid problems have nothing to do with the thyroid.
I was part of their coaching and they had a good course. Ironically, I got to be my sickest during that course. Not because of their content or advice though... I think I was overstressed and their coaching asked me to cook my meals which at that time overwhelmed me and got me sick with overwhelm, panic attacks and severe histamine problems. I am thankfully recovered and they continue to offer PRN support.

I am just a bit wary of their recent small change in philosophy that references Morley Robbins.

For example, they never recommended fatty fish when I took the course, now they do...

youngsinatra

I was part of their coaching and they had a good course. Ironically, I got to be my sickest during that course. Not because of their content or advice though... I think I was overstressed and their coaching asked me to cook my meals which at that time overwhelmed me and got me sick with overwhelm, panic attacks and severe histamine problems. I am thankfully recovered and they continue to offer PRN support.

I am just a bit wary of their recent small change in philosophy that references Morley Robbins.

For example, they never recommended fatty fish when I took the course, now they do...
Yeah. I like some of their ideas and concepts, but I also dislike some of them.

Did they already use HTMA back then?

RobertMichael

How about aspirin? Have you tried maybe taking a gram for example with a large meal (with precautions if needed to protect the stomach)?

Peater

Signs and symptoms of a cortisol problem​

Dysfunctional adrenal output can result in T3 going high in the blood rather than reaching the cells, called pooling. Some patients may not realize it’s happening. Others will either still feel quite hypo, or can have symptoms like anxiety or nervousness, light-headedness, shakiness, dizziness, racing heart, sudden weakness, nausea, feeling hot, or any symptom which seems like an over-reaction to desiccated thyroid or T3, but are in reality the result of low cortisol, or a mix of high and low in the early stages of sluggish adrenal function. Low cortisol can also keep you hypothyroid with hypo symptoms.

bell

Dysfunctional adrenal output can result in T3 going high in the blood rather than reaching the cells, called pooling. Some patients may not realize it’s happening. Others will either still feel quite hypo, or can have symptoms like anxiety or nervousness, light-headedness, shakiness, dizziness, racing heart, sudden weakness, nausea, feeling hot, or any symptom which seems like an over-reaction to desiccated thyroid or T3, but are in reality the result of low cortisol, or a mix of high and low in the early stages of sluggish adrenal function. Low cortisol can also keep you hypothyroid with hypo symptoms.

I had forgotten about this, and literally just remembered it too. I have found that taking Thorne cortex helps a ton when this is happening

Peater

I had forgotten about this, and literally just remembered it too. I have found that taking Thorne cortex helps a ton when this is happening

Interesting i haven't heard of that before i might try it myself. Thanks.

bell

Interesting i haven't heard of that before i might try it myself. Thanks.
I find it feels really good for a week or two, and then I need to taper off because it's too much. Just a heads up that they have two products, cortex and cortrex - almost the same name, but one's got extra nutrients added

xeliex

Forum Supporter

That's something that Ray did not agree with from all I know about him throughout the years.

LLight

Thanks.

Yes, it is rather obvious that iodine is the important part of thyroid hormones, otherwise these hormones (which could be any other molecule) wouldn't contain 4 or 3 atoms of iodine.

According to Sebastiano Venturi, iodide could be a powerful antioxidant.

If T4 is reduced to T3 directly in the cell (if I remember correctly, I think I read that it was a significant source of T3), it both brings an antioxidant (an iodide ion) and allows the oxidative metabolism to happen.

But what if iodine is brought into the cell not by T4 but by free iodine and symporter upregulation (while deiodinase is downregulated)? You would have iodide in the cell, but no signal to increase the metabolism? Maybe having an alternative source of iodine for the cell increases the T3 receptor sensitivity? That would explain the observations of Brownstein with his thyroid hormones-supplemented hypothyroids patients doing better with inorganic iodine. Is the LXR an important piece of the puzzle?

Maybe my understanding is too simple, or obvious, or blatantly wrong :):

I read some studies yesterday that was showing (not necessarily for all parts of the body, but at least the liver, some immune cells and adipocytes if I remember correctly) that LXR could be activated by niacin.

It seems like (read other messages in the threads linked above) LXR could help increase free iodide uptake into cells by upregulating the iodide symporter (called NIS).

I think Brownstein's protocole include vitamin B3, right?

youngsinatra

That's something that Ray did not agree with from all I know about him throughout the years.

„Pregnenolone is something that can always be used with thyroid, to guarantee an easy adrenal response.“ — Ray Peat (E-Mail Wiki; Cortisol)

Jonk

Hey man, I've recently been watching a lot of durianrider on Youtube and while I don't agree with everything he says there seem to be some truths to his message of high carb, low fat, low-ish protein. Low fat isn't very controversial but low protein is much more so, even though Ray himself says it might be a viable option if you're sick or feeling unwell. I can't know for sure if durianrider is telling the truth but, he claims that both him and his girlfriend has a TSH below 1. Might be something to try out, that is unlimited carbs with low fat and low protein. Not sure how healthy this would be long term but I can't imagine it being that detrimental to try out for a few days or weeks. I seem to do fine with it, increased energy, better digestion, more appetite etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals