Does T4 "buffer" T3 When Taken At The Same Time?

cyclops

Just something I noticed, is that when taking a T4/T3 combination like tyromix, I dont seem to notice much in the way of instant effects or its more subtle, even when taking 5 drops (so 30mcg t4/15 mcg t3). But when taking even a small dab of T3 only like tyronnene (say like 2mcgs t3) I notice more effects like instant warmth and more upbeat. So im just wondering why there is a more noticeable effect from 2mgs T3 vs 15mcgs T3+someT4. And yea even with smaller amounts of tyromix, like 1 drop (so 3mcg t3) I dont get as much of an effect as with t3 alone without t4. So this has led me to believe that t4 has some sort of buffering effect on the t3. Anyone have any ideas?

Also this was experimented at the same time, so taking the t3/t4 in the morning not really feeling much, and then trying a dab of t3 and feeling a kick. Tried them at all different times of days as well.

Jessie

Yeah you bring up some really good questions I'd like to know the answers to as well. I've been considering giving thyroid another shot, but there seems to be a lack of definitive information about dosing T4/T3 combos. Furthermore, does synthetic T4/T3 need to be dosed differently then NDT? The former is free hormones, whereas the latter has it's hormones bound to protein. Someone needs to ask Ray about this whenever they talk to him. I'd like some clarity here. I get T3 needs to be really small doses (1-3mcgs), but this doesn't really tell me much about synthetic combos (i.e like tyromix for example).

mrchibbs

Yeah you bring up some really good questions I'd like to know the answers to as well. I've been considering giving thyroid another shot, but there seems to be a lack of definitive information about dosing T4/T3 combos. Furthermore, does synthetic T4/T3 need to be dosed differently then NDT? The former is free hormones, whereas the latter has it's hormones bound to protein. Someone needs to ask Ray about this whenever they talk to him. I'd like some clarity here. I get T3 needs to be really small doses (1-3mcgs), but this doesn't really tell me much about synthetic combos (i.e like tyromix for example).

Just to be clear, people have asked Ray these very questions possibly a million times.

There are several threads in this forum with the answers to these questions. The Ray Peat email exchanges also have a lot of goldmine info.

To answer your question, NDT is easy to dose, you can take it all at once with dinner and it will be metabolized with the digestive process.

Synthetic thyroid always needs to be taken in ''physiological'' doses because it is activated all at once. For instance a t4/t3 combo needs to be broken up so that each individual dose contains less than 10mcg of T3 (along with the T4). For example, a cynoplus tablet should be divided in 4ths or even 6ths and taken with food at divided times throughout the day. Larger pieces will probably just suppress the thyroid further.

The simplest approach I've found, is to break each cynoplus tablet in 4ths and take one piece with breakfast, lunch and dinner. That's about 2 grains. Someone with really bad liver function may need to break the cynoplus tablet in 8ths and take some every 2h. At that point it's probably easier to get TyroMix.

But NDT is really the easiest and is the traditional Broda Barnes approach.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals