What is a normal dose of boron?

ironfist

Here's why I'm asking.

Most Boron products are 3mg.

Swanson makes one that by Albion that is bororganic glycine and it's 6mg. Why am I mentioning this? Because most boron products are a combination of products including boron aspartate. I am striving to avoid aspartic acid in my supplements.

So they have this product that ISN'T aspartate, but the amount is twice as much. Is 6mg too much?

I guess I could open it and pour half of it into water every other day.

Please note, there is a product by NOW that is 3mg of this form, but it's like 5x more expensive lol. I'm trying to save money. The Swanson one is 60 pills, the NOW one is 250.

Seems a little odd that this product is 6mg and everything else is 3mg.

Why am I thinking about Boron?

Because of a study I read that said people with more boron in their diet got less arthritis. Essentiality of boron for healthy bones and joints - PubMed

(bolds mine)

Since 1963, evidence has accumulated that suggests boron is a safe and effective treatment for some forms of arthritis. The initial evidence was that boron supplementation alleviated arthritic pain and discomfort of the author. This was followed by findings from numerous other observations epidemiologic and controlled animal and human experiments. These findings included a) analytical evidence of lower boron concentrations in femur heads, bones, and synovial fluid from people with arthritis than from those without this disorder; b) observation evidence that bones of patients using boron supplements are much harder to cut than those of patients not using supplements; c) epidemiologic evidence that in areas of the world where boron intakes usually are 1.0 mg or less/day the estimated incidence of arthritis ranges from 20 to 70%, whereas in areas of the world where boron intakes are usually 3 to 10 mg, the estimated incidence of arthritis ranges from 0 to 10%; d) experimental evidence that rats with induced arthritis benefit from orally or intraperitoneally administered boron; e) experimental evidence from a double-blind placebo-boron supplementation trial with 20 subjects with osteoarthritis. A significant favorable response to a 6 mg boron/day supplement was obtained; 50% of subjects receiving the supplement improved compared to only 10% receiving the placebo. The preceding data indicate that boron is an essential nutrient for healthy bones and joints, and that further research into the use of boron for the treatment or prevention of arthritis is warranted.

Ras

Here's why I'm asking.

Swanson makes one that by Albion that is bororganic glycine and it's 6mg. Why am I mentioning this? Because most boron products are a combination of products including boron aspartate. I am striving to avoid aspartic acid in my supplements.

So they have this product that ISN'T aspartate, but the amount is twice as much. Is 6mg too much?

Please note, there is a product by NOW that is 3mg of this form, but it's like 5x more expensive lol. I'm trying to save money. The Swanson one is 60 pills, the NOW one is 250.

Because of a study I read that said people with more boron in their diet got less arthritis. Essentiality of boron for healthy bones and joints - PubMed

(bolds mine)

Since 1963, evidence has accumulated that suggests boron is a safe and effective treatment for some forms of arthritis. The initial evidence was that boron supplementation alleviated arthritic pain and discomfort of the author. This was followed by findings from numerous other observations epidemiologic and controlled animal and human experiments. These findings included a) analytical evidence of lower boron concentrations in femur heads, bones, and synovial fluid from people with arthritis than from those without this disorder; b) observation evidence that bones of patients using boron supplements are much harder to cut than those of patients not using supplements; c) epidemiologic evidence that in areas of the world where boron intakes usually are 1.0 mg or less/day the estimated incidence of arthritis ranges from 20 to 70%, whereas in areas of the world where boron intakes are usually 3 to 10 mg, the estimated incidence of arthritis ranges from 0 to 10%; d) experimental evidence that rats with induced arthritis benefit from orally or intraperitoneally administered boron; e) experimental evidence from a double-blind placebo-boron supplementation trial with 20 subjects with osteoarthritis. A significant favorable response to a 6 mg boron/day supplement was obtained; 50% of subjects receiving the supplement improved compared to only 10% receiving the placebo. The preceding data indicate that boron is an essential nutrient for healthy bones and joints, and that further research into the use of boron for the treatment or prevention of arthritis is warranted.
I've always taken it in the form of Borax. I don't see the need for anything else. I've taken from 100 mg to 500 mg a day for about a year now.

Sumbody

Here's why I'm asking.

(bolds mine)

Same here, always just put 1/4tsp Borax into a 16.9oz water bottle and drink it throughout the day.

MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin also good for joints.

Been taking Wobenzym N lately and joints feel incredible!

crazypatriot

I've been taking 12mg (2 pills) of Swanson's Boron Glycinate for the last 2 years with no problems.

crazypatriot

Without symptoms of high estrogen?
I never noticed estrogenic symptoms from boron, but neither have I had blood work completed to know for sure.

The only negative side effects I've seen occurred when I experimented with 24mg for a few days, causing some strange testicular aches.

Abba

never been tested above 20mg - perhaps you experienced 'growing pains'

Nothing Boring About Boron

Nothing Boring About Boron

….

Results

After only 1 week of boron supplementation of 6 mg/d, a further study by Naghii et al20 of healthy males (n = 8) found

(1) a significant increase in free testosterone, which rose from an average of 11.83 pg/mL to 15.18 pg/mL; and

(2) significant decreases in E2, which dropped from 42.33 pg/mL to 25.81 pg/mL.

All of the inflammatory biomarkers that were measured also decreased: (1) interleukin (IL) 6, from 1.55 pg/mL to 0.87 pg/mL;

(2) high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) by 50%, a remarkable decrease, from 1460 ng/mL to 795 ng/mL; and

(3) tumor necrosis factor α (TNF-α) by 30%, from 12.32 to 9.97 pg/mL.

Levels of dihydrotestosterone, cortisol, and vitamin D increased slightly.

…..

crazypatriot

This thread has me interested in trying higher doses of boron again.

I saw this video on another thread, where this man Jorge Flechas MD recommends taking 30-60mg a day.

View: https://youtu.be/TJp7SW1pY2I

The decrease in estradiol (E2) seen is due to conversion to the weaker estriol (E3), via steroid hormone hydroxylation from the boron. Same for the increases seen in DHT levels.

OP
I

ironfist

Been taking Wobenzym N lately and joints feel incredible!
I took high doses of Wobenzym for a while and developed symptoms of epi when I stopped. I don't understand if wobenzym is as safe as everyone thinks.

Last edited:
OP
I

ironfist

It went way after a few weeks, but I got fomy urine around this time and that hasn't gone away. This was over a year ago.

Sumbody

It went way after a few weeks, but I got fomy urine around this time and that hasn't gone away. This was over a year ago.
Thanks for that.

I agree that these enzymes are extremely powerful and perhaps their effects aren't completely understood. Most notably the wide ranging reports from different individuals.

Serrapeptase is one of those as well that seems to be a whole other beast in itself.

Sumbody

Can you elaborate on why serrapeptase is a different beast, @Sumbody
It can have wildly different effects from person to person. Even those while taking the same brand and dosage for months, can eventually have a violently sick reaction to it, seemingly out of nowhere.

Can be hit or miss for some, It's effects may be more than what we understand of it. Like is it really breaking down biofilms and releasing endotoxin and bacteria causing you to become sick? Or is it directly affecting the GI system itself, causing some sort of expedited serotonin response?

Read verious products reviews online and Amazon etc. You will read people's accounts and it can vary quite a bit.

I took it for a while, with what I thought were positive effects on the joints.

Went back and took a couple capsules after not taking it for a year or so and it made me violently ill. Go figure!

Haven't touched it since.

Its powerful and potent. Definitely does something, but I feel like it isn't completely understood in its effects on the body.

tasfarelel

I am taking 20-30mg Boron (from a clean borax powder) daily since ~5 years. This because I'm convinced is needed and not appropriately covered by food. I have not experienced any positive nor negative effects, not even from 100mg which I tried at the very beginning.

Sumbody

I am taking 20-30mg Boron (from a clean borax powder) daily since ~5 years. This because I'm convinced is needed and not appropriately covered by food. I have not experienced any positive nor negative effects, not even from 100mg which I tried at the very beginning.
Did you notice anything with your joints? I'm assuming you don't have arthritis or anything?

It has helped me in the past with soft tissue, such as tennis elbow, joint pain, arthritis etc. I would think it likely could have positive effects for things like leaky gut as well.

I haven't taken it in a while, but it's so easy and cheap, I may give it a go again for a lil while to possibly replete any low stores.

Not to mention it's hormone balancing effects as well.

I typically would mix 1/4 tsp borax with 12 ounces of water. Can't remember what amount of boron that equates to.

tasfarelel

No, I don't have any issues with my joints, despite 2 decades of bodybuilding.

Borax is ca. 10% boron.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals