What Do Narrower Stools Mean

yerrag

I'm having cocoa butter, tallow, and butter added to my food for the week: 50g butter with sweet potatoes in the morning, 12g cocoa butter with coffee, and about 25 g tallow on rice in my meals. I'm not experiencing thin stools. Fact is, my stools are as large but longer - like foot longs. And I have it in the morning only. My stearic acid daily intake comes to around 20g roughly, and I'm also taking taurine, around 4g a day.

I think that with a lot of long chain fats, you need a lot of bile to emulsify the fats. If you're not making enough bile, maybe not all the LCFAs get emulsified, and a good portion goes to the colon. Perhaps that spurs bowel movement, even with little mass. Hence, the thin stools? Just guessing.

Like how suppositories work?

powerlifter

Mine is narrower when I feel much better in general.

"The anal canal aperture maxes out at 35 mm or 1.4". For normal, notice-free passing, soft and moist stools shouldn‘t be much wider than one‘s index finger or a nickel (21 mm, U.S. currency 5 ¢ coin), and correspondingly smaller in children."

Fiber and IBS: Recovery Guide

yerrag

Mine is narrower when I feel much better in general.

"The anal canal aperture maxes out at 35 mm or 1.4". For normal, notice-free passing, soft and moist stools shouldn‘t be much wider than one‘s index finger or a nickel (21 mm, U.S. currency 5 ¢ coin), and correspondingly smaller in children."

Fiber and IBS: Recovery Guide
I don't really know if this is based on the author's opinion or that it's backed up by consensus or by studies. I have a hunch there would be many people who would disagree. My own personal experience is I have good bower movement. I sit. I pop. I clean up. And I go. I have large stools that can go to the max, and that is standard. When I used to eat lots of fiber and when I minimize fiber, it is the same. I think it is because I have enough magnesium stores, and I have good bowel transit times, that there is peristalsis moving my feces, and that the anus hole is not as inflexible as a half-inch metal pipe. If we were to believe the author, then it would equally apply that women giving birth to small-headed babies is a good thing.

Last edited:

Markus

As previously mentioned, it's probably due to inflammation/irritation and/or fast transit time.

Angel45

According to the Fiber Menace guy you want thin soft stools. I find anything that gets my bile flowing keeps my stools on the thinner side. I'll take thin stools over bulky ones.

Wolf

My vote is either inflamed intestines or that your intestines are contracting and not able to relax.
Funny enough I figured this out in the past year and take Dicyclomine since anti inflammatories and just about everything else I threw at this problem did not help. There's no way to consume massive amounts of calories and assimilate them if your body has no efficient way of getting rid of the waste.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
4 days after my last serving of cocoa butter my bowels do feel much better but I’m still having mild diarrhea. The last two days have been loose stool/ diarrhea rather than narrow stool so the inflammation seems to be improving but my bowel movements are not quite back to normal yet. Just for background I added cocoa butter for about 10 days before discontinuing it 4 days ago.

Frankdee20

It is either inflammation or low fiber, but I think bacteria are what make up the bulk of the stool

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals