What Do Narrower Stools Mean

Max23

I had them a while ago. I read that internal hemorrhoids can cause thin stool. Now on a zero gluten diet I get consistantly very wide stool. Maybe it has to do something about the health of the intestinal walls.

OP
ecstatichamster
I had them a while ago. I read that internal hemorrhoids can cause thin stool. Now on a zero gluten diet I get consistantly very wide stool. Maybe it has to do something about the health of the intestinal walls.

that's interesting. That makes sense.

Max23

Also the amount of my stool is greater. So if you increase the volume of it the thickness should also increase. So a gluten free diet for me increases the amount of stool. I wonder why that is? Maybe better digestion, less food for bacteria.

OP
ecstatichamster
i've been using T3 and cascara and having 3 bowel movements a day, but my stool is narrower.

Max23

i've been using T3 and cascara and having 3 bowel movements a day, but my stool is narrower.

But does the quality, texture of bowel movements vary? For example is the first one the most "correct" and the other ones are worse. Sometimes I have the first bowel movement the best and the next one is smaller, thinner, floaty etc. If they aren´t "correct", then it could indicate a too quick gut transit time. I also had several bowel movements with T3. I didn´t look for the quality of bowel movements back then.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I believe it means the large intestine is inflamed. Are you doing the stearic acid experiment? I’m having this too and I’m wondering if it’s from irritation from stearic acid. I’m speculating but since it’s the only change I’ve made recently I’m going to back off and see if it improves.

OP
ecstatichamster
I believe it means the large intestine is inflamed. Are you doing the stearic acid experiment? I’m having this too and I’m wondering if it’s from irritation from stearic acid. I’m speculating but since it’s the only change I’ve made recently I’m going to back off and see if it improves.

yes I am. It may very well be from this, good call.

OP
ecstatichamster
But does the quality, texture of bowel movements vary? For example is the first one the most "correct" and the other ones are worse. Sometimes I have the first bowel movement the best and the next one is smaller, thinner, floaty etc. If they aren´t "correct", then it could indicate a too quick gut transit time. I also had several bowel movements with T3. I didn´t look for the quality of bowel movements back then.

interesting. They do vary over the day. I would say better formed in the morning and evening, more loose in the day.

Adding my vote to the inflamed intestines explanation. It happened to me with a food that my body wasn't agreeing with. Stools went back to normal/wider once I stopped consuming the disagreeable food in question.