What Are Your Thoughts On Omega 3s?

reality

I know the dangers of PUFA from oils and seeds etc and should be avoided, but what about PUFA from omega 3s? I don’t mean fish oil pills, but from whole food sources like salmon or sardines? I know they can still be oxidized, but foods like salmon come with vitamin e and astaxanathin (potent anti oxidant) that can help protect.

there are A LOT of studies in recent times about the benefits of EPA/DHA. I’m curious what your thoughts are?

I think salmon/sardines are great foods. They are loaded with nutrients along with the antioxidants to prevent oxidation. Are omega 3s useful?

berk

Big change omega 3 oils are oxidized before it hit the capsule/bottle.
Eat your fish and meat.

Aaron

I think it's a good idea to get some. Even if they are "immunosuppressive," we live in an environment where we most likely come into contact with a wide variety of substances that trigger inflammation, and inflammation/inflammatory immune response is endemic to virtually all forms of disease. Very high quality dairy is still likely to produce some undesired inflammation, chronically so if consumed daily - and there is no perfect food. I feel much "brighter," both in terms of mood and my actual cognitive ability, when I take just one fish oil tablet per day, usually alongside my turmeric/supplement shake. Daily turmeric has been a constant for me, but adding the fish oil back in six months ago has made all the difference. Also, I've found that complete PUFA elimination doesn't benefit me. It makes me feel dry and dim. I keep my PUFA consumption pretty low (I still like bratwursts with beer) and my refined nut/seed oils at zero, but I do get some omega-6 in the form of an occasional serving of whole seeds/nuts, which I eat for the fiber and phytochemicals, so it makes sense to attempt to balance that out with some omega-3.

Sardines, wild salmon/steelhead, and oysters are above and beyond ideal but not daily foods for me. I don't take the tablets when I have those.

Runenight201

I wouldn’t supplement it if you consume quality animal products. I just had some milk from Costco and they added fish oil to it so I’m a little upset about that. It did taste fine... but I had mixed it with special k cereal which has copious amounts of sugar which could have been excellently masking that nasty fishy taste.

lilsticky

Flax seeds taste pretty good, but then there's an aftertaste of bees stinging the back of your tounge. I guess people like it. I think people notice a difference with cod liver because of the vitamin content it has. Rp said its a good source of vit d

I can't really understand, with all due respect, how people can be on this forum and talk favorably about omega 3 fatty acids. I have never heard Dr. Peat advocate eating them, quite the opposite. Study Dr. Peat's material about it. Fish oil is the last thing you want to be consuming.

schultz

2-propenal is quite toxic.

DHA is extremely unstable.

These are my reasons for avoiding omega-3's personally.

Evidence states that male Humans are obligatory in need of DHA.
Dr.Peat is the only one in the World who is saying that PUFAs are toxic
without physiological need whatsover.But that is not true.Thorough Research all around the World shows it.

Essentiality of DHA in the Eye is proven conclusively,Essentiality of DHA and ARA for Brain structure
(around 5gram of total weight of the brain) was proven by an outrageous amount of suffering of children and all Animals
suitable for in vivo testing.I dont get what he is saying about Burr et al ,there was extensive testing for decades going on,
still to this day.He lives in another World for me in that regard.

If he had good proof,yes,i read his PUFA articles,not convinced to say the least.His PUFA-articles comes of as amateur,he isnt a lipid-researcher,his hormonal-network-analysis has higher quality all the way.The Protection bestowed by the EFAD deficiency which he is lauding was not replicated enough and is contradicted heavily by other research.

Also,an amateur mistake by Peat,PUFAs are in vivo,in Situ, quite stable,PUFA get incorporated in phospholipid-,
ethanolamine-,triglyceride-structures,which extend their stability radically.He is contradicting himself when he warns against their long in-vivo half-life:Acknowledging their high stability:if it can exist long,it has high stability.

All Land-based Animals have ALA,EPA,DHA in their tissues.Also LA EPA(n6),ARA in their tissues.
They are not only needed for Prostaglandine-synthesis('woundhealing'(tissue-regen)),but are structural necessities.

Image-search "Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency" and look at the described symptoms and images.

Mead-Acid isnt good enough and is an atavism,a fallback.Besides,Mead-Acid products downstream, Prostaglandines, and Leukotrienes maybe, would be almost as inflammatory as ARA-products.A lot of the symptomatology described by members reads in part like EFAD-Disorder.In Animals,Rat-Pups born to EFA-deficient motherdams ony have 11% survival comparedto over 70% of control.
I had symptoms of EFAD while consuming an EFA restricted Diet,mainly skin-disorder.
B6 didnt cut it,and i supplemented with everything,in all the appropriated Dosages.

Aufze   gfnjjhjjhhjichnen.JPG Aufzei  bgfghgghjhgfgfchnen.JPG

Attachments

• 2955dc0e020ef6e623be4b7274a2ce7ab73c.pdf
    905.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Auslander

I can't really understand, with all due respect, how people can be on this forum and talk favorably about omega 3 fatty acids. I have never heard Dr. Peat advocate eating them, quite the opposite. Study Dr. Peat's material about it. Fish oil is the last thing you want to be consuming.

I almost never agree with you on anything, but right here right now these are my thoughts exactly.

What’s going on in this thread? Discussing best sources of PUFA??

“What’s wrong with PUFA”? How about what’s wrong with rape?

Last edited:

EIRE24

Evidence states that male Humans are obligatory in need of DHA.
Dr.Peat is the only one in the World who is saying that PUFAs are toxic
without physiological need whatsover.But that is not true.Thorough Research all around the World shows it.

Essentiality of DHA in the Eye is proven conclusively,Essentiality of DHA and ARA for Brain structure
(around 5gram of total weight of the brain) was proven by an outrageous amount of suffering of children and all Animals
suitable for in vivo testing.I dont get what he is saying about Burr et al ,there was extensive testing for decades going on,
still to this day.He lives in another World for me in that regard.

If he had good proof,yes,i read his PUFA articles,not convinced to say the least.His PUFA-articles comes of as amateur,he isnt a lipid-researcher,his hormonal-network-analysis has higher quality all the way.The Protection bestowed by the EFAD deficiency which he is lauding was not replicated enough and is contradicted heavily by other research.

Also,an amateur mistake by Peat,PUFAs are in vivo,in Situ, quite stable,PUFA get incorporated in phospholipid-,
ethanolamine-,triglyceride-structures,which extend their stability radically.He is contradicting himself when he warns against their long in-vivo half-life:Acknowledging their high stability:if it can exist long,it has high stability.

All Land-based Animals have ALA,EPA,DHA in their tissues.Also LA EPA(n6),ARA in their tissues.
They are not only needed for Prostaglandine-synthesis('woundhealing'(tissue-regen)),but are structural necessities.

Image-search "Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency" and look at the described symptoms and images.

Mead-Acid isnt good enough and is an atavism,a fallback.Besides,Mead-Acid products downstream, Prostaglandines, and Leukotrienes maybe, would be almost as inflammatory as ARA-products.A lot of the symptomatology described by members reads in part like EFAD-Disorder.In Animals,Rat-Pups born to EFA-deficient motherdams ony have 11% survival comparedto over 70% of control.
I had symptoms of EFAD while consuming an EFA restricted Diet,mainly skin-disorder.
B6 didnt cut it,and i supplemented with everything,in all the appropriated Dosages.

Have you since fixed the skin disorder?

Kingpinguin

I know the dangers of PUFA from oils and seeds etc and should be avoided, but what about PUFA from omega 3s? I don’t mean fish oil pills, but from whole food sources like salmon or sardines? I know they can still be oxidized, but foods like salmon come with vitamin e and astaxanathin (potent anti oxidant) that can help protect.

there are A LOT of studies in recent times about the benefits of EPA/DHA. I’m curious what your thoughts are?

I think salmon/sardines are great foods. They are loaded with nutrients along with the antioxidants to prevent oxidation. Are omega 3s useful?

Why eat fish when you can drink whole milk?
1 fish oil pill is about 500mg - 1gram omega 3s

1 carton of whole milk has the same amount
F7E72DA6-4ABD-4F49-941A-E605E5C41197.jpeg

eat peaty, eat eggs, meat and drink cartons of
Milk and youre getting quite a lot of omegas.
Minimum required daily omega 3 according to science to avoid a deficiency is 250mg so you’re way above that just drinking milk. Do you really believe you would need fish pills pr actual fish if you eat milk, butter, meat and eggs. No you do not.

Have you since fixed the skin disorder?

Dry bodyskin gets better,and facial Acne gets better,dandruff gets better.
Definite Effect,but doing Flaxseed Oil and Fishoil capsules (capsules are nitrogen purged,the Oil doesnt react with it like it would with Oxygen)only since Feb 07.
Need for Ratio between O6 to O3 is real,and should be around 1:1.Typical SAD Dieter sees ratios O6:O3 as high as 20-40:1,
that is LA to ALA Ratio.LA is dominant in the parts of a plant beneath the surface,ALA has
more presence in above ground parts like grasses and leaves.
That is causing Inflammation without end.

Last edited:

Matt C

Can someone help with my issue; I suffer from dry scalp and the flakes that come off my scalp are very large, not your ordinary dandruff specks but more skin flake types. My partner believes its due to dry scalp and maybe its because I don't get enough good fats. I stay away from pufas when I can but I can't help but wonder if I eat more fish for the omega 3's that my scalp would be more oily and healthy?

Matt C

Dry bodyskin gets better,and facial Acne gets better,dandruff gets better.
Definite Effect,but doing Flaxseed Oil and Fishoil capsules (capsules are nitrogen purged,the Oil doesnt react with it like it would with Oxygen)only since Feb 07.
Need for Ratio between O6 to O3 is real,and should be around 1:1.Typical SAD Dieter sees ratios O6:O3 as high as 20-40:1,
that is LA to ALA Ratio.LA is dominant in the parts of a plant beneath the surface,ALA has
more presence in above ground parts like grasses and leaves.
That is causing Inflammation without end.
Can you advise what you found was the best food sources that helped with your dandruff? I've been avoiding pufa when I can but I also believe it's ridiculous to think you can completely avoid them and eat a normal diet. I'm also contemplating eating more fish or some chia seeds for the omega 3 as nothing else seems to work for my dandruff which appears more dry scalp related than excess sebum related.

Frankdee20

Why do Omega 3 supplements give me severe anxiety and insomnia but not Tuna and Salmon ? They are still 1-2 grams per serving

marcar72

Lately I've been having a tin of King Oscar Royal Fillets of Mackerel in Olive Oil pretty much daily. Sometimes it's Crown Prince Kipper Snacks or King Oscar Bristling Sardines. I've also been eating a few avocado's a week, some Boulder Canyon Avocado Oil/Sea Salt kettle style potato chips, and a serviing or two of Wonderful Shelled Pistacho's and/or Blue Diamond Whole Natural almonds on most days. So I still avoid the PUFA heavy seed oils, but I'm not paranoid about some PUFA in whole foods. :2cents:

Can you advise what you found was the best food sources that helped with your dandruff? I've been avoiding pufa when I can but I also believe it's ridiculous to think you can completely avoid them and eat a normal diet. I'm also contemplating eating more fish or some chia seeds for the omega 3 as nothing else seems to work for my dandruff which appears more dry scalp related than excess sebum related.

I would advise for a O6:O3 Ratio of 1:1.I concluded that the Ratio matters,total amount very much also . Omega 6 PUFA would be mainly Linoleic Acid and Arachidonic Acid.Omega 3 PUFA would be mainly Alpha Linolenic Acid and EPA.
Foodchoices would be softboiled Eggs for LA,Flaxseed Oil for ALA and resultant EPA,under nitrogen-atmosphere pressed,highest quality and so on.Fish for DHA(obligatory for males imo,but americans have more high-quality,grass-fed Animal produce,Europeans with grain based Animalchow etc have to be way more careful about said Ratio.
If so inclined,I would raise ALA:LA Ratio from all sources to 1:1,e.g. 5g of ALA,5g of LA,then reducing again to 3g of each for a couple of months,and see whats what.
Important Q:how much and what PUFA do you consume now?

Matt C

I would advise for a O6:O3 Ratio of 1:1.I concluded that the Ratio matters,total amount very much also . Omega 6 PUFA would be mainly Linoleic Acid and Arachidonic Acid.Omega 3 PUFA would be mainly Alpha Linolenic Acid and EPA.
Foodchoices would be softboiled Eggs for LA,Flaxseed Oil for ALA and resultant EPA,under nitrogen-atmosphere pressed,highest quality and so on.Fish for DHA(obligatory for males imo,but americans have more high-quality,grass-fed Animal produce,Europeans with grain based Animalchow etc have to be way more careful about said Ratio.
If so inclined,I would raise ALA:LA Ratio from all sources to 1:1,e.g. 5g of ALA,5g of LA,then reducing again to 3g of each for a couple of months,and see whats what.
Important Q:how much and what PUFA do you consume now?
Awesome, thanks buddy.

I get pufa from eggs, brazil nuts here and there, meats etc. I do my best to not eat fried foods and I cook with ghee or butter, but will get takeaway on weekends like Thai food or pizza. I eat liver weekly typically.
I'll def add more fish.

Are you concerned with the estrogen in Flaxseeds? I remember reading something about that not long ago.

gaze

sushi once a month is worth the downsides in my opinion. the protein, minerals, vitamin E, protect against the fatty acids to a large degree, and the simple enjoyment of eating the food also leads to overall more benefits then negatives i think.

Recently taking Omega 3s have transformed my skin from a dried out old reptile to smooth and soft like a baby

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals