Omega 3 Controversy

Doludolu

"Of course, if you're steeped in the health sector, you may be aware of the argument that “omega-3 fatty acids, including fish oil, oxidizes within the heat of the human body”. Sure, as you can see in page 22 of this European Food Safety Authority document on fish oil, some oxidation and free radical formation will certainly occur as fish oil oxidizes in human tissue (or fish tissue) or any other raw tissue. But guess what? Small amounts of free radicals serve as crucial signaling molecules used to fight inflammation in your body, and we are talking about completely natural production in your body produced in limited amounts due to natural lipoxygenase activity, which is far, far different than the rampant oxidation that occurs via the consumption of, say, a heated and processed vegetable oil. As a matter of fact, the guy that champions the “fish oil is bad for you because it is oxidized in the body” – Brian Peskin – often cites this scientific paper to back up his “fish oil is bad for you” argument. But read the freakin' paper! It clearly states that fish oil can be oxidized in tissue but that the beneficial effects of omega-3 fatty acids may be explained by a PPAR alpha-mediated anti-inflammatory effect of oxidized EPA. Folks like Brian simply confuse the difference between peroxidation, which is the oxidative degradation of lipids in which free radicals “steal” electrons from the lipids in cell membranes, resulting in cell damage and oxidation, a natural transfer of electrons that occurs all the time within normal human metabolism.

You can continue to read headlines of multiple additional studies regarding this, including “Inhibition of leukocyte-endothelial interactions by oxidized omega-3 fatty acids: a novel mechanism for the anti-inflammatory effects of omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil”, “Oxidized omega-3 fatty acids inhibit pro-inflammatory responses in glomerular endothelial cells“, “Oxidized omega-3 fatty acids inhibit NF-kappaB activation via a PPARalpha-dependent pathway” and “Inhibition of phagocyte-endothelium interactions by oxidized fatty acids: a natural anti-inflammatory mechanism?“. This means oxidized EPA and other omega-3 fatty acids can – inside your body – serve as a free radical signaling mechanism that shuts down inflammation, which is why human clinical trials demonstrate fish oil's efficacy for a variety of beneficial health effects related to fighting inflammation, particularly for the heart and the brain. But this doesn't mean you should consume rancid, oxidized fish oil. You instead need to consume pure, clean, unoxidized fish oil that then undergoes a natural oxidation process within your body! "

Ben.

Dr. Catherine Shanahan writes in her book Deep nutrition something similar. Not explained to scientifically but basicly saying the same thing that omega 3 / 6 (PUFAs) from natural sourcers are not to be compared with vegetable oils due the insane process they go under to be made usable/edible/extracted. Not only that, we then make them subject of crazy heats during cooking.

I'm still torn on pufas in whole foods tho. I mean except for sushi we still heat/cook/roast things like fish/nuts etc. And there is almost no "fatty" kind of food that is completly deficient in unsaturated fats. There is this feeling i can't shake that it has it's place and reason for it's existence. And it can't be just bad. Only food i can think of is coconut oil that has almost no pufa.

I wish in Health and Nutrtition we as human society finally find out how all of this realy works so that we don't have these different camps of people where vegans, carnivores, paleo, frutarians, peatarians etc. are fighting eachother.
People end up praising whatever diet or lifestyle that works for them or fits their morale/religious belief. Once we manage to pin down every mechanism we'll realize there is no good or bad in food. Wonder if i'd live until that day happense.

But guess what? Small amounts of free radicals serve as crucial signaling molecules used to fight inflammation in your body...
Oxidized omega-3 fatty acids inhibit pro-inflammatory responses in glomerular endothelial cells“, “Oxidized omega-3 fatty acids inhibit NF-kappaB activation via a PPARalpha-dependent pathway” and “Inhibition of phagocyte-endothelium interactions by oxidized fatty acids: a natural anti-inflammatory mechanism?“. This means oxidized EPA and other omega-3 fatty acids can – inside your body – serve as a free radical signaling mechanism that shuts down inflammation, which is why human clinical trials demonstrate fish oil's efficacy for a variety of beneficial health effects related to fighting inflammation, particularly for the heart and the brain. But this doesn't mean you should consume rancid, oxidized fish oil. You instead need to consume pure, clean, unoxidized fish oil that then undergoes a natural oxidation process within your body! "

Can't go trough these studys atm but im confused. You say it acts like a signaling mechanism/molecule to help fight inflammation. Why does our body need a seperate oxidation process (where pufas are according to the peaty's spheres damaging in and of itself) to get anti inflammation actions going/inhibit pathways? How would omega 3 oxidation in one tissue signal the body that i have an inflammation in a tissue somewhere else (or does omega 3 only oxidize upon need?)? What if i have no inflammation going on at that very moment and the omega 3 in my bodyoxidizes ... what then?

All i can say from experience taking fish oil for almost 2 years daily from 2017/2018 is that i had to stop it. And that happened even way before i knew anything about pufas being potentially problematic. It also always seemed so odd to me. Where i live and how i grew up being high in omega 3 wasn't normal. And considering how essential they are supposed to be and if one was to believe the advertising of how urgently we need omega 3 ... i would've died as a kid already if that was the case. I wonder if someone took fish oil that long or longer who got better/healthier from it, i sure haven't.

This study would kinda explain my bad experience with fish oils:
Why Fish Oil Fails: A Comprehensive 21st Century Lipids-Based Physiologic Analysis
"The object of this review is to show how there could be no possible expectation of general patient benefit with prophylactic fish oil use. It will be shown that the amount of EPA/DHA from routine fish oil recommendations is 20Xs–500Xs more than the body would naturally produce on its own from alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)—Parent omega-3.
Advances in quantitative analysis have been made in the 21st century which are not yet disseminated in the medical community; that is, the delta-6/-5 enzymes are not impaired in the general patient population, and the amount of EPA/DHA required on a daily basis by the brain is now known to be less than 7.2 mg/day."

Thomas Delaure (the guy being all about intermittend fasting) made a video in 2019 about atp production and how to increase it. In that he mentioned Omega fish oil capsules, how great they are and cites a study that came to the conclusion that daily supplementation for 12 weeks resulted in Total EPA and DHA content in mitochondrial membranes increase by (P < 0.05) ∼450 and ∼320%, respectively while increasing ADP sensitivity (decreased apparent Km) that was independent of the creatine kinase shuttle :

Omega-3 supplementation alters mitochondrial membrane composition and respiration kinetics in human skeletal muscle

That's from 2014, but is that increase of epa/dha in cell membranes good?

Interestingly Jay Feldman on his podcast and website states the exact opposite in how it actually reduces the cells ability to produce energy:

"This is because DHA is one of the weakest and least stable fats. When used as a structural component of the mitochondria, it increases the leakage of energy more than any other polyunsaturated fat (12). And, it’s 320 times more susceptible to damage than monounsaturated fats! (11)"

"Even if the omega-3s aren’t oxidized before they’re consumed or within the body, they’re still extremely problematic. When they’re integrated into the structural cellular components they dramatically reduce the efficiency of mitochondrial respiration (energy production) and are susceptible to future peroxidation. This is why the amount of DHA in the phospholipids is so tightly tied to aging and lifespan."

"These compounds damage proteins and DNA, including the cellular components that are needed for energy production (4, 13, 14, 15, 16). These compounds are also implicated in cancer, diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, Alzheimer’s disease, aging, and are known to be neurotoxic (16, 17, 18, 19, 20)."

"Now, the argument may be made that eating these polyunsaturated fats doesn’t mean that they’ll become damaged and cause this destruction. But, many studies have discredited this argument by showing that increased omega-3 consumption (and PUFA consumption in general) does increase lipid peroxidation and the presence of their harmful breakdown products (21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)."

----------------------------------------------------

It's so hard to make up my mind on this subject. So far i try to avoid vegetable oils and if there is pufas in whole foods like eggs/meat/milk so be it.

The thing is ... whoever is right, low pufa, high pufa or middle ground ... basicly has the basis for a healthy life ... the others don't.

Last edited:

mrchibbs

It's so hard to make up my mind on this subject. So far i try to avoid vegetable oils and if there is pufas in whole foods like eggs/meat/milk so be it.

I personally feel like it's a bit of a moot point. If you eat shellfish, eggs, chicken, pork, you'll get efa's in your diet. These foods have a lot of nutrition and minerals, which is the key reason to eat them.

We definitely should keep digging, this is an interesting topic and I don't personally think Ray is necessarily right about all of it.

duckduck

mrchibbs noooooo! When I just decided to try low pufa diet one final time, a hardcore peater like you decided to start question Ray's teachings. I have been doing bodybuilding for 10 years now and two years ago I started to take fish oil and my lifts started to improve like crazy. I was finally making gains again after stalling long time in every lift and after hard working set I recovered very quickly and my performance was good when I did second set. Before fish oil I was really fatigued after every set and couldn't perform well. At some point I stopped fish oil supplements and training started to go bad again, I started to lose strength. Months passed and now two months ago I bought hemp seeds and started to eat them 2 tbsp per day. Lifts started to improve again and I wasn't fatigued at all after hard working sets.

After all this I still have this doubt that maybe if it all was just a fluke and maybe I should still try going low pufa one last time and then I see mrchibbs, a hardcore mofo peater himself doubting Ray. Damn, now I wonder should I even try low pufa one last time.

redsun

mrchibbs noooooo! When I just decided to try low pufa diet one final time, a hardcore peater like you decided to start question Ray's teachings. I have been doing bodybuilding for 10 years now and two years ago I started to take fish oil and my lifts started to improve like crazy. I was finally making gains again after stalling long time in every lift and after hard working set I recovered very quickly and my performance was good when I did second set. Before fish oil I was really fatigued after every set and couldn't perform well. At some point I stopped fish oil supplements and training started to go bad again, I started to lose strength. Months passed and now two months ago I bought hemp seeds and started to eat them 2 tbsp per day. Lifts started to improve again and I wasn't fatigued at all after hard working sets.

After all this I still have this doubt that maybe if it all was just a fluke and maybe I should still try going low pufa one last time and then I see mrchibbs, a hardcore mofo peater himself doubting Ray. Damn, now I wonder should I even try low pufa one last time.

How about this time around eat some healthy fish and not just pills. Guarantee you they are a million times better.

B

Braveheart

Dr. Catherine Shanahan writes in her book Deep nutrition something similar. Not explained to scientifically but basicly saying the same thing that omega 3 / 6 (PUFAs) from natural sourcers are not to be compared with vegetable oils due the insane process they go under to be made usable/edible/extracted. Not only that, we then make them subject of crazy heats during cooking.

I'm still torn on pufas in whole foods tho. I mean except for sushi we still heat/cook/roast things like fish/nuts etc. And there is almost no "fatty" kind of food that is completly deficient in unsaturated fats. There is this feeling i can't shake that it has it's place and reason for it's existence. And it can't be just bad. Only food i can think of is coconut oil that has almost no pufa.

I wish in Health and Nutrtition we as human society finally find out how all of this realy works so that we don't have these different camps of people where vegans, carnivores, paleo, frutarians, peatarians etc. are fighting eachother.
People end up praising whatever diet or lifestyle that works for them or fits their morale/religious belief. Once we manage to pin down every mechanism we'll realize there is no good or bad in food. Wonder if i'd live until that day happense.

Can't go trough these studys atm but im confused. You say it acts like a signaling mechanism/molecule to help fight inflammation. Why does our body need a seperate oxidation process (where pufas are according to the peaty's spheres damaging in and of itself) to get anti inflammation actions going/inhibit pathways? How would omega 3 oxidation in one tissue signal the body that i have an inflammation in a tissue somewhere else (or does omega 3 only oxidize upon need?)? What if i have no inflammation going on at that very moment and the omega 3 in my bodyoxidizes ... what then?

All i can say from experience taking fish oil for almost 2 years daily from 2017/2018 is that i had to stop it. And that happened even way before i knew anything about pufas being potentially problematic. It also always seemed so odd to me. Where i live and how i grew up being high in omega 3 wasn't normal. And considering how essential they are supposed to be and if one was to believe the advertising of how urgently we need omega 3 ... i would've died as a kid already if that was the case. I wonder if someone took fish oil that long or longer who got better/healthier from it, i sure haven't.

Why Fish Oil Fails: A Comprehensive 21st Century Lipids-Based Physiologic Analysis
"The object of this review is to show how there could be no possible expectation of general patient benefit with prophylactic fish oil use. It will be shown that the amount of EPA/DHA from routine fish oil recommendations is 20Xs–500Xs more than the body would naturally produce on its own from alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)—Parent omega-3.
Advances in quantitative analysis have been made in the 21st century which are not yet disseminated in the medical community; that is, the delta-6/-5 enzymes are not impaired in the general patient population, and the amount of EPA/DHA required on a daily basis by the brain is now known to be less than 7.2 mg/day."

Thomas Delaure (the guy being all about intermittend fasting) made a video in 2019 about atp production and how to increase it. In that he mentioned Omega fish oil capsules, how great they are and cites a study that came to the conclusion that daily supplementation for 12 weeks resulted in Total EPA and DHA content in mitochondrial membranes increase by (P < 0.05) ∼450 and ∼320%, respectively while increasing ADP sensitivity (decreased apparent Km) that was independent of the creatine kinase shuttle :

Omega-3 supplementation alters mitochondrial membrane composition and respiration kinetics in human skeletal muscle

Interestingly Jay Feldman on his podcast and website states the exact opposite in how it actually reduces the cells ability to produce energy:

"This is because DHA is one of the weakest and least stable fats. When used as a structural component of the mitochondria, it increases the leakage of energy more than any other polyunsaturated fat (12). And, it’s 320 times more susceptible to damage than monounsaturated fats! (11)"

"Even if the omega-3s aren’t oxidized before they’re consumed or within the body, they’re still extremely problematic. When they’re integrated into the structural cellular components they dramatically reduce the efficiency of mitochondrial respiration (energy production) and are susceptible to future peroxidation. This is why the amount of DHA in the phospholipids is so tightly tied to aging and lifespan."

"These compounds damage proteins and DNA, including the cellular components that are needed for energy production (4, 13, 14, 15, 16). These compounds are also implicated in cancer, diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, Alzheimer’s disease, aging, and are known to be neurotoxic (16, 17, 18, 19, 20)."

"Now, the argument may be made that eating these polyunsaturated fats doesn’t mean that they’ll become damaged and cause this destruction. But, many studies have discredited this argument by showing that increased omega-3 consumption (and PUFA consumption in general) does increase lipid peroxidation and the presence of their harmful breakdown products (21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)."

The thing is ... whoever is right, low pufa, high pufa or middle ground ... basicly has the basis for a healthy life ... the others don't.

"It's so hard to make up my mind on this subject. So far i try to avoid vegetable oils and if there is pufas in whole foods like eggs/meat/milk so be it."....YES

mrchibbs

...and then I see mrchibbs, a hardcore mofo peater himself doubting Ray. Damn, now I wonder should I even try low pufa one last time.

So now I am a "hardcore mofo peater"? Huh Should I get a badge...

Last edited:

Spartan300

Hmmm, @duckduck, your experience intrigues me.

My exercise performance and recovery ability has remained poor for as long as I've been applying the principles presented on the forum here and I'm curious whether I would see the same as you. I've stuck with the principles for 4years and not seen much if any improvement. Sleep remains the biggie for me, if I could get into a deep sleep then things would fall into place. I know this from very brief periods where this has happened.

Before anyone says I know I don't have to continue with the Peat ideas but I choose to because the supporting studies etc are compelling.

My bloodwork suggests my sleep, libido, mood and exercise performance should be superb but none are.
Thinking I might add Salmon into my diet a couple of times a week and see what happens. I'll report if I do.

mrchibbs

I regularly eat shellfish; scallops, oysters, mussels, shrimps. All of these have omega-3 fatty acids. I eat pork products, butter etc. when I make dishes. I like spicy chicken wings from time to time. I know Ray does too, occasionally he likes the taste of chicken wings. I like white fish cooked in egg batter once in a while, even salmon when I share a meal with people who like it!

The reason it's a moot point, is because most of the highly nutritious and delicious foods have these omega-3 fatty acids. So they are unavoidable unless you want to eat just fruits, low-fat milk etc.

I think there is reasonable evidence that there is more to understand here (Edwards J. Edmonds has some interesting posts on his website)

Last edited:

PxD

"which is why human clinical trials demonstrate fish oil's efficacy for a variety of beneficial health effects related to fighting inflammation, particularly for the heart and the brain. But this doesn't mean you should consume rancid, oxidized fish oil. You instead need to consume pure, clean, unoxidized fish oil that then undergoes a natural oxidation process within your body! "

Isn't this just another way of saying that Omega-3 downregulates immune system activity? It's suppressing the symptom, which may well have beneficial effects in and of itself, but doesn't fix whatever is causing the inflammation in the first place?

redsun

Isn't this just another way of saying that Omega-3 downregulates immune system activity? It's suppressing the symptom, which may well have beneficial effects in and of itself, but doesn't fix whatever is causing the inflammation in the first place?

No, it counteracts excessive inflammation that can be due to imbalanced omega consumption (too much O6) as well as other things that promote inflammation... which is actually logical and does not imply suppression of normal response. Inflammation is very needed, but you need to be able to control it as well. Not only that, but Omega 3s are needed to form resolvins, which you can research more about those compounds yourself if you are interested.

duckduck

I have read quite a bit of Brian Peskin's stuff and he is so against of fish oil because it contains way too much EPA and DHA. Overdosing on EPA, DHA and linolenic acid suppress linoleic acid's function in body and according to Peskin, linoleic is very important. According to Peskin intima is 100% omega 6 and you need it to keep arteries and veins clean and functioning.

OP
Doludolu

Doludolu

No , this isn't my opinion. This is from Ben Greenfield's, which he is quite a well-thought person.

Yes, I think there's a difference in-between the peroxidative procsses happening within rancid vegetable oils or rancind low-quality omega-3 compared to soething ultra high quality in a capsule.

Then there's this argument about it oxidizing in the body temperature. I kind of tend to the idea that even if omega-3's partially oxidize in the body due to temperature (normal), that still is a "beneficial" stressor, aka hormesis. That's how body creates some free radicals and inflammation which in controlled levels is not damaging, rather activating a better function of body systems.

Then when you think, depending on the region, fish could've been the staple for some tribes to survive or just take Vikings which had an enormous consumption of omega-3 compared. Though in a Peaty perspective you could say that's problematic , but in a realistic scenario, I think It's not.

I think the biggest problem is the already happening huge levels of inflammation in the human body due to toxic, synthetic food [e.g. veg oils] , toxic enviroment - we're literally surrounded by various chemicals, the air we breathe. The routines we live, the daily stressors. What I'm moving on to , that the body is experiencing such enourmous stress levels, that it possibly cannot even endure such things as our ancestors used to. In that sense, I think the more healthy a person is (less inflammation, better metabolic function) = the better he processes omega-3's and gets all the benefits from it. The lower the body functions, the lower metabolic rate , higher toxicity & inflammation = now omega-3 becomes a toxin to the body.

Just my thoughts !

rzero

I would be interested to hear how it would go if you replaced the omega-3 with olive oil. I haven't really tried to substitute one for the other myself, but Ray does speak well of the monounsaturated omega-9 oleic acid in olive oil.

duckduck

I would be interested to hear how it would go if you replaced the omega-3 with olive oil. I haven't really tried to substitute one for the other myself, but Ray does speak well of the monounsaturated omega-9 oleic acid in olive oil.
I have done that long time ago, when I first heard of Peat. It was probably one of the biggest mistakes I have done in this life. I got so so bad acne from it, I looked like demon was taken possession of me. It was so humiliating, I work in customer service and I just had to go to work every day looking like a ******* swamp monster!

rzero

I have done that long time ago, when I first heard of Peat. It was probably one of the biggest mistakes I have done in this life. I got so so bad acne from it, I looked like demon was taken possession of me. It was so humiliating, I work in customer service and I just had to go to work every day looking like a ******* swamp monster!
Wow.

Ben.

Did you use it topically or oraly? What dosage? Like the posted fish oil study proposed from the op? Perhaps extracted pure oil/fat in high dosages just isn't great in general?

But i can't say that olive oil ever induced skin issues for me.

There are actually "studies" where EFA's helped with skin issues and hair growth. So it's not just black and white.

But sorry you went trough that experience.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals