We All Scream For No Cream Ice Cream - In Minutes! (with photos)

Fairykiller

How much is in a can of sweetened condensed milk? Since I cannot find an organic version I’m making it myself. Thank you!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
How much is in a can of sweetened condensed milk? Since I cannot find an organic version I’m making it myself. Thank you!

Make sure you cook it down to a very thick state, or swap in some cream to get it to firm up in the ice cream maker.

Attachments

• 20210629_132233.jpg
    20210629_132233.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210629_132339.jpg
    20210629_132339.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 35
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Mmmmmm... I made a fresh batch of chocolate chip ice cream tonight!

Attachments

• 20210630_214530.jpg
    20210630_214530.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 27

yerrag

I think with less fat it can also taste better, at least for me.

I was already used to eating our local ice cream brands, which contains much much less cream because it is expensive.

So ten years ago, I bought an ice cream. maker from Walmart and made one, following the instructions. It used a lot of cream. It tasted great even as a plain old vanilla ice cream, made with real vanilla.

Except that I wasn't used to the creaminess. I once bought a very pricey local brand called Carmen's Best and it was priced that way because it is made with a lot of cream.

It tasted just like the one I made and isn't worth paying extra for.

I'll try to find time to make one following your recipe, but I'll use a tiny ice maker instead. This is a pint-sized maker that runs on 2 CR123 batteries and the ice cream is made as the maker sits insise the freezer.

I've had it for 10 years, but never once made ice cream with it. So thank for reminding me how much I'm missing the homemade taste of ice cream.

Note: We have a word for something too rich as to be too filling that you'd enjoy it more if the richness were dialed down - nakakaumay.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think with less fat it can also taste better, at least for me.

I was already used to eating our local ice cream brands, which contains much much less cream because it is expensive.

So ten years ago, I bought an ice cream. maker from Walmart and made one, following the instructions. It used a lot of cream. It tasted great even as a plain old vanilla ice cream, made with real vanilla.

Except that I wasn't used to the creaminess. I once bought a very pricey local brand called Carmen's Best and it was priced that way because it is made with a lot of cream.

It tasted just like the one I made and isn't worth paying extra for.

I'll try to find time to make one following your recipe, but I'll use a tiny ice maker instead. This is a pint-sized maker that runs on 2 CR123 batteries and the ice cream is made as the maker sits insise the freezer.

I've had it for 10 years, but never once made ice cream with it. So thank for reminding me how much I'm missing the homemade taste of ice cream.

Note: We have a word for something too rich as to be too filling that you'd enjoy it more if the richness were dialed down - nakakaumay.
You know Yerrag I never was an ice cream fan until Haagen Daz vanilla. It is more milky than whipped up and airy. I don't like the way rich foods feel either. I am anxious to hear how your ice cream making goes! I have got to memorize that nakaka word. Is the "nakaka" part mean rich or filling?

yerrag

You know Yerrag I never was an ice cream fan until Haagen Daz vanilla. It is more milky than whipped up and airy. I don't like the way rich foods feel either. I am anxious to hear how your ice cream making goes! I have got to memorize that nakaka word. Is the "nakaka" part mean rich or filling?
You're right. Haagen Daz isn't too rich to me. Our locally made Carmen's Best probably tries too hard and ends up tasting too rich. But taste is very subjective. If it sells, that's all that matters.

I grew up liking the taste of ice cream made with real carabao milk. But I liked it not for the creaminess as much as for its carabao milk flavor. Now, even if I buy carabao milk, the flavor isn't there anymore. Much less for ice cream. I suspect all the fat is skimmed off and sold to the makers of a sweet candy called pastillas de leche.

It must be hard for the synthetic flavor makers to duplicate the flavor, as I haven't come across anything made. from it.

Anyway, I got off track. But creaminess isn't something that stands out to be as a must. Even sorbets, which don't have cream, can be tasty because there is a certain crunch to it from the ice that creaminess doesn't impart.

Nakaka means "it makes you feel" umay - filled or full or over-saturated.

Missenger

You're right. Haagen Daz isn't too rich to me. Our locally made Carmen's Best probably tries too hard and ends up tasting too rich. But taste is very subjective. If it sells, that's all that matters.

I grew up liking the taste of ice cream made with real carabao milk. But I liked it not for the creaminess as much as for its carabao milk flavor. Now, even if I buy carabao milk, the flavor isn't there anymore. Much less for ice cream. I suspect all the fat is skimmed off and sold to the makers of a sweet candy called pastillas de leche.

It must be hard for the synthetic flavor makers to duplicate the flavor, as I haven't come across anything made. from it.

Anyway, I got off track. But creaminess isn't something that stands out to be as a must. Even sorbets, which don't have cream, can be tasty because there is a certain crunch to it from the ice that creaminess doesn't impart.

Umay is a filipino and japanese word, that's funny.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Is carabao milk sweeter than normal milk? I found some to try! There is no starch in them, just milks and sugar! These Pastillas de leche are so "Peaty"! I am excited to try them! Of course I know they won't be your carabao ones, but they sound yummy!

Attachments

• 20210701_102420.jpg
    20210701_102420.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I forgot to post these pics of the chocolate chips I used in the chocolate chip ice cream I made last night. These are AMAZING and have only three ingredients, sugar cane, unsweetened chocolate and cocoa butter, NO SOY LECITHIN ?

Attachments

• 20210630_211514.jpg
    20210630_211514.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210630_211521.jpg
    20210630_211521.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 15

yerrag

Umay is a filipino and japanese word, that's funny.
Too good!
Is carabao milk sweeter than normal milk? I found some to try! There is no starch in them, just milks and sugar! These Pastillas de leche are so "Peaty"! I am excited to try them! Of course I know they won't be your carabao ones, but they sound yummy!
I didn't think milk was ever sweet so I never noticed the difference between the two, or tried to. Since the carabao milk I can buy can't be bought with a cream top, unlike I can with cow milk in the US (like in TJ's), unhomogenized, I didn't like it. It's also seemed watered down and I'm not sure if it's naturally that way. I never touched it after trying it. It's not worth the premium if taste is gone, and texture is blah.

You're so quick to the draw. Are you just right next door to Gwen's? I didn't know there are so many Filipino stores just in the teeny state of Maryland. OTOH, you likely ordered from Amazon. Otherwise, you'd already have told me what you thought of them.

Let me know how you like them. It's done differently as the real ones are rod-shaped and wrapped in japanese paper. And it's not likely you will find them sold in the US as they have to be refrigerated as it gets moldy without it. My sister would buy them when she comes and fly back to Cali with them. She's now in Texas and free from the great liberal state of rolling brownouts, water shortages, and forest fires lol.
I forgot to post these pics of the chocolate chips I used in the chocolate chip ice cream I made last night. These are AMAZING and have only three ingredients, sugar cane, unsweetened chocolate and cocoa butter, NO SOY LECITHIN ?
Why do they put soy lecithin when there is no need to emulsify anything that's water-based ? I mean, why do other products have them?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Too good!

I didn't think milk was ever sweet so I never noticed the difference between the two, or tried to. Since the carabao milk I can buy can't be bought with a cream top, unlike I can with cow milk in the US (like in TJ's), unhomogenized, I didn't like it. It's also seemed watered down and I'm not sure if it's naturally that way. I never touched it after trying it. It's not worth the premium if taste is gone, and texture is blah.

You're so quick to the draw. Are you j ust right next door to Gwen's? I didn't know there are so many Filipino stores just in the teeny state of Maryland. OTOH, you likely ordered from Amazon. Otherwise, you'd already have told me what you thought of them.

Let me know how you like them. It's done differently as the real ones are rod-shaped and wrapped in japanese paper. And it's not likely you will find them sold in the US as they have to be refrigerated as it gets moldy without it. My sister would buy them when she comes and fly back to Cali with them. She's now in Texas and free from the great liberal state of rolling brownouts, water shortages, and forest fires lol.

Why do they put soy lecithin when there is no need to emulsify anything that's water-based ? I mean, why do other products have them?
You always have such great questions and great things to say Yerrag! Firstly I live in California and ordered them on Amazon. I will at least get a good idea as to what the kinda taste like. As for the soy lecithin in chocolates, I am not sure why they need to use it, maybe to make it softer?

yerrag

You always have such great questions and great things to say Yerrag! Firstly I live in California and ordered them on Amazon. I will at least get a good idea as to what the kinda taste like. As for the soy lecithin in chocolates, I am not sure why they need to use it, maybe to make it softer?
You have so much fodder for conversation that makes Ray Peat more interesting. Maybe the soy lecithin acts like a filler material (masked as a healthful add-on) to the real and more expensive content of chocolate.

You are in Cali? It's a huge place and I hope you're not coastal. You have to find a place that's safe from the progressives in the coasts and from the tindery wooded areas that it's hard to find a good place but you seem to have managed. Compared to those two extreme, even Bakersfield will do for me. I'll take it's flat terrain and an occasional chemical during planting season. And I hope you're not too inland as it's too dry.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You have so much fodder for conversation that makes Ray Peat more interesting. Maybe the soy lecithin acts like a filler material (masked as a healthful add-on) to the real content of chocolate.

You are in Cali? It's a huge place and I hope you're not coastal. You have to find a place that's safe from the progressives in the coasts and from the tindery wooded areas that it's hard to find a good place but you seem to have managed. Compared to those two extreme, even Bakersfield will do for me. I'll take it's flat terrain and an occasional chemical during planting season. And I hope you're not too inland as it's too dry.
Hmmmm...is fodder a good thing? ? yes Yerrag I am safe as I can be living in California ?

akgrrrl

Hmmmm...is fodder a good thing? ? yes Yerrag I am safe as I can be living in California ?
He's right you know. You are a sparkly sprig of fragrant fodder in this data-centric forum. And you see why he is trusted here: ever kind and supportive without enabling, in suggests encased with data offered in warm word choices. My favorite rpf member.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
He's right you know. You are a sparkly sprig of fragrant fodder in this data-centric forum. And you see why he is trusted here: ever kind and supportive without enabling, in suggests encased with data offered in warm word choices. My favorite rpf member.
Thank you both for being so kind and supportive of me! I thing so highly of both of you, so it means so much hearing such sweet words :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You have so much fodder for conversation that makes Ray Peat more interesting. Maybe the soy lecithin acts like a filler material (masked as a healthful add-on) to the real and more expensive content of chocolate.

Yerr

Yerrag I got my Pastilles De Leche in today! I love them! I am so pleased to see how "Peaty they are too, with lots of Calcium and vitamin D! I had one at room temperature and it melted in my mouth, and now I have them in the fridge to try them cold! Thank you for telling me about them ?

Attachments

• 20210706_161948.jpg
    20210706_161948.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 28

yerrag

Yerr
Yerrag I got my Pastilles De Leche in today! I love them! I am so pleased to see how "Peaty they are too, with lots of Calcium and vitamin D! I had one at room temperature and it melted in my mouth, and now I have them in the fridge to try them cold! Thank you for telling me about them ?
Glad you liked them. You'll also like leche flan - that is like custard. And going back to ice cream, who doesn't like dulce de leche- but this I think is identified with Argentina.

These are the nice "leche." When you're angry at somebody, "leche" is a word to use also lol. Hence the world "lecherous."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Glad you liked them. You'll also like leche flan - that is like custard. And going back to ice cream, who doesn't like dulce de leche- but this I think is identified with Argentina.

These are the nice "leche." When you're angry at somebody, "leche" is a word to use also lol. Hence the world "lecherous."
I have made Leche Flan! Here is my recipe ?

Attachments

• 20210706_174722.jpg
    20210706_174722.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210706_174738.jpg
    20210706_174738.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 44

yerrag

I have made Leche Flan! Here is my recipe ?
It's easy to make, isn't it? It's easy to make and the enoyment is very high.

To increase the enjoyment even more, add orange or lemon zest to it. It will definitely kick it up a notch, and even hide the "nakakaumay" factor as it dulls the taste bud to the sweetness. Most of all, makes it even more peaty.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals