Vitamin E And The Adrenal Glands

Wilfrid

j. said:
I found this interesting:

Vitamin E enters a variety of different tissue types, with adipose and the adrenal gland having the highest levels.

Link

Dr Wilson, in his book « Adrenal fatigue», recommends 800 UI of mixed tocopherols per day (which is a very big dose to me) for «adrenal exhausted» people.
His advice seems legit in the light of the link you posted.

OP
J

j.

I think the adrenal glands like vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency atrophies them. Vitamin E helps the liver store vitamin A, so maybe there's a relationship in the adrenal glands as well.

Wilfrid

j. said:
I think the adrenal glands like vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency atrophies them. Vitamin E helps the liver store vitamin A, so maybe there's a relationship in the adrenal glands as well.

Which also seems to confirmed, like you said, the previous study you posted a while ago.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3481

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
I think the adrenal glands like vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency atrophies them.
Which could cause excess cortisol, right?

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
j. said:
I think the adrenal glands like vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency atrophies them.
Which could cause excess cortisol, right?

I think deficiency of cortisone. When you normalize vitamin A from a deficiency, cortisone production goes from low to normal.

Very low cortisone I think can also be bad, at least if it's due to atrophied adrenals, it might cause what they call autoimmune attacks.

Kray

j. said:

j- This is great information, you have turned on a light bulb for me!

I've been reading up on vitamin A deficiency. Posted here a lot about dermatitis I can't figure out the cause of. After looking at so many other avenues with dead ends, including individual B supplements which have done really nothing, I'm going to restart vitamin A.

http://www.preservearticles.com/2011053 ... iency.html

Will report back later.

:)

BibleBeliever

j- This is great information, you have turned on a light bulb for me!

I've been reading up on vitamin A deficiency. Posted here a lot about dermatitis I can't figure out the cause of. After looking at so many other avenues with dead ends, including individual B supplements which have done really nothing, I'm going to restart vitamin A.

http://www.preservearticles.com/2011053 ... iency.html

Will report back later.

:)
Problem with too much vitamin a is it can slow the thyroid and lower vitamin d levels. Westonprice, mercola and others have articles arguing about this regarded cod liver oil, which is usually excessive high in vitamin a, but low in vitamin d.
Raypeat writes about needing 100 000 units of vitamin a in a very sunny environment, but only 5000 in a cloudy environment; anymore slowing thyroid.

It is fascinating how all the nutrients interact and can show the potential dangers of isolated supplementation, especially over a prolonged period.

Then in other threads here they talk about how vitamin e can lower vitamin k2, which is needed for utilizing calcium in the right spots.

Wheat germ oil appears the highest in vitamin e, but it is pufa. Maybe pufas are safer on skin?

My interest in vitamin e is that is comes up every time researching chelating heavy metals, as the most important factor to rid the body of them. Interestingly Dr.Wilson writes about the heavy metal cadmium being the most harmful to the adrenal gland and causing adrenaline disorders, which zinc is the greatest antagonist too and vice versa.

Kray

Problem with too much vitamin a is it can slow the thyroid and lower vitamin d levels. Westonprice, mercola and others have articles arguing about this regarded cod liver oil, which is usually excessive high in vitamin a, but low in vitamin d.
Raypeat writes about needing 100 000 units of vitamin a in a very sunny environment, but only 5000 in a cloudy environment; anymore slowing thyroid.

It is fascinating how all the nutrients interact and can show the potential dangers of isolated supplementation, especially over a prolonged period.

Then in other threads here they talk about how vitamin e can lower vitamin k2, which is needed for utilizing calcium in the right spots.

Wheat germ oil appears the highest in vitamin e, but it is pufa. Maybe pufas are safer on skin?

My interest in vitamin e is that is comes up every time researching chelating heavy metals, as the most important factor to rid the body of them. Interestingly Dr.Wilson writes about the heavy metal cadmium being the most harmful to the adrenal gland and causing adrenaline disorders, which zinc is the greatest antagonist too and vice versa.

Good information. I remember that vitamin A in excess can be a problem and the balance with D is rather confusing. I live in a sunny clime but have actually been taking a low-dose cod liver oil this winter because we haven't gotten much sun, and vitamin D is quite relatively low in winter even with adequate sun exxposure (correct me if I'm wrong). I know cod liver oil is not Peaty, but he has said halibut liver oil is not a bad source. That is very hard to come by. The brand of CLO I bought has a pretty good fat profile, actually, not all unsats, but a combo of sat/poly/mono. And I keep balance in mind with other fats I consume regularly-- dairy, beef, CO, etc.

At the same time, however, I take a drop or 2 of the Thorne D/K2. As for E, I take 400iu only on days I'm having more PUFA than others-- fish, eggs, or poultry meat, or about every other day (although I eat eggs and fish more than chicken, which I have only once every 2 weeks or so, and then only white meat). I treat vitamin E much the same as aspirin, so I don't take aspirin on the days I take E. I'll do the aspirin on those other days.

This is what I've done based on my more limited science background and my best understanding of how to supplement and balance. I'll sure make more of a point to consider upping my A when the summer sun sets in, discontinuing the CLO and any vitamin D.

Thank you for your input!

BibleBeliever

Good information. I remember that vitamin A in excess can be a problem and the balance with D is rather confusing. I live in a sunny clime but have actually been taking a low-dose cod liver oil this winter because we haven't gotten much sun, and vitamin D is quite relatively low in winter even with adequate sun exxposure (correct me if I'm wrong). I know cod liver oil is not Peaty, but he has said halibut liver oil is not a bad source. That is very hard to come by. The brand of CLO I bought has a pretty good fat profile, actually, not all unsats, but a combo of sat/poly/mono. And I keep balance in mind with other fats I consume regularly-- dairy, beef, CO, etc.

At the same time, however, I take a drop or 2 of the Thorne D/K2. As for E, I take 400iu only on days I'm having more PUFA than others-- fish, eggs, or poultry meat, or about every other day (although I eat eggs and fish more than chicken, which I have only once every 2 weeks or so, and then only white meat). I treat vitamin E much the same as aspirin, so I don't take aspirin on the days I take E. I'll do the aspirin on those other days.

This is what I've done based on my more limited science background and my best understanding of how to supplement and balance. I'll sure make more of a point to consider upping my A when the summer sun sets in, discontinuing the CLO and any vitamin D.

Thank you for your input!
No problem, I found it from this link:

Carotenemia & Hypothyroidism – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

“Yes, it’s definitely hard to get them coordinated when there’s an imbalance in one direction or the other. For several years, when I had an extremely high metabolic rate, I needed 100,000 units per day during sunny weather to prevent acne and ingrown whiskers, but when I moved to a cloudy climate, suddenly that much was too much, and suppressed my thyroid. The average person is likely to be hypothyroid, and to need only 5,000 units per day. Avoiding large amounts of carotene, and getting plenty of vitamin B12 to be able to convert any carotene that’s in your food, helps to use vitamin A efficiently.”

Kray

No problem, I found it from this link:

Carotenemia & Hypothyroidism – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

“Yes, it’s definitely hard to get them coordinated when there’s an imbalance in one direction or the other. For several years, when I had an extremely high metabolic rate, I needed 100,000 units per day during sunny weather to prevent acne and ingrown whiskers, but when I moved to a cloudy climate, suddenly that much was too much, and suppressed my thyroid. The average person is likely to be hypothyroid, and to need only 5,000 units per day. Avoiding large amounts of carotene, and getting plenty of vitamin B12 to be able to convert any carotene that’s in your food, helps to use vitamin A efficiently.”

Thanks for the link, and the referenced quote makes perfect sense!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals