Vitamin E Storage

J

j.

I think Peat advises to store progest-e in the refrigerator to preserve the vitamin E. So I asked Swanson if it was a good idea to store the vitamin E in the fridge. Apparently it might not be a good idea, but the reason is that the gelatin capsule might explode.

Thank you for contacting Swanson Health Products!

We are happy to explain. We don’t require our maximum strength gamma to be refrigerated. Often times, when you refrigerate a soft gel, there is moisture that could get inside of the capsule causing it to expand. Furthermore, if the capsule breaks, there could be very jagged edges.

Heat can damage vitamin E, so if you live in a warm place, I guess you could put some cotton to absorb humidity from the vitamin E container so that the pills don't explode and the vitamin E is protected?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have mine in the fridge but haven't seen any expansion yet.

himsahimsa

I keep all oil based in the freezer or the fridge and have never had a problem, well, except... I open and close quickly to avoid incremental addition of water by condensation. Water makes the caps stick together in a clump. That's a problem.

Mossy

This is an old thread, but I thought a relevant place for my question. Due to the large sized capsules in vitamin E supplements, such as Thorne Ultimate E, is there an issue with the oils going rancid if I were to poke a capsule with a pin and store it in the refrigerator, in order to get smaller multiple doses out of it? Anyone try this?