Treatment For Aging Skin (White Spots And Brown Spots)?

ejalrp

As we age, most of us (especially with sun exposure) develop brown and white spots (idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis) on the skin. What supplements in particular would you use to combat this and/or deal with them once they have formed?

Agent207

Meclofenoxate, acetylcarnitine, vinpocetine, piracetam.. and keeping iron and pufas low.

Im not sure about their ability of reversion, but at least they reduce the levels of lipofuscin accumulation in brain, skin and other cells.

Last edited:

johnwester130

topical niacinamide

A Double-Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial of Niacinamide 4% versus Hydroquinone 4% in the Treatment of Melasma. - PubMed - NCBI

DRP2011-379173.001.jpg

Peata

Topically: Solban (has niacinamide, aspirin, caffeine). Progesterone and vitamin E. Coconut oil.
Internally: niacinamide, aspirin, progesterone/pregnenolone (to lower stress hormone and increase progesterone). Vitamin E, but both it and the aspirin have a blood-thinning effect, so maybe one has to choose -or maybe just keeping PUFA lower would help prevent E from being depleted in the first place. Also, coconut oil can reduce the need for vitamin E and it provides energy for repair.

Low PUFA, estrogen, and iron. Avoid stress as much as possible.

For me personally, I've been using Solban 2 x day for about four weeks now and have had a lot of success evening out discoloration/spots and getting a more refined texture. But I also have been layering some Olay Regenerist serum on top (had it leftover and decided to use it for more niacinamide boost). I then pat on some Vaseline. Orally, I've been taking everything on the list above except progesterone, vitamin E, and not taking much coconut oil lately (maybe a little spoon once in a while).

Last edited:

Agent207

Topically: Solban (has niacinamide, aspirin, caffeine). Progesterone and vitamin E. Coconut oil.
Internally: niacinamide, aspirin, progesterone/pregnenolone (to lower stress hormone and increase progesterone). Vitamin E, but both it and the aspirin have a blood-thinning effect, so maybe one has to choose -or maybe just keeping PUFA lower would help prevent E from being depleted in the first place. Also, coconut oil can reduce the need for vitamin E and it provides energy for repair.

Solban is alcohol based, I don't think its a good idea to put alcohol on skins face. I would look for other ways to deliver niacinamide topically.

Also I don't think its wise to push progesterone without previously knowing individual and hormonal status; the OP is asking for things to target a specific condition, not stress overloading. Sure reducing stress is always generally good, but if thats the issue there exist LOTS of natural and effective approaches/habbits that can cut stress in a much safer way than playing with hormones; imho that should be the later step, when everythig fails and you certainly know you do have an hormonal imbalance.

Last edited:
OP
E

ejalrp

Solban is alcohol based, I don't think its a good idea to put alcohol on skins face. I would look for other ways to deliver niacinamide topically.

Also I don't think is wise to push progesterone without knowing individual and hormonal status; the OP is asking for things to target a specific condition, not stress overloading. Sure reducing stress is good for everything but if thats the issue there exist LOTS of natural and effective approaches/habbits that can cut stress in a much safer way previous to supplement hormones; that should be the last step when everythig fails and you know certainly you have an hormonal imbalance.

It's actually an interesting question.Can lipofuscin and white spots be improved by direct dermal means, or is a systemic 'cure' more appropriate. I'd tend to agree with Agent 207, but one can't rule out the possibility of a required systemic tune up either.

Agent207

Lipofuscin is systemic. That doesn't mean that along with approahes to slow down internal accumulation, you couln't help out with topical remedies as an addon to "make up" the external apperarence of the spots.

Peata

Also I don't think its wise to push progesterone without previously knowing individual and hormonal status; the OP is asking for things to target a specific condition, not stress overloading. Sure reducing stress is always generally good, but if thats the issue there exist LOTS of natural and effective approaches/habbits that can cut stress in a much safer way than playing with hormones; imho that should be the later step, when everythig fails and you certainly know you do have an hormonal imbalance.

I don't feel I was pushing anything, just listing things I have read on Ray Peat's articles or other's and/or I have personally used to help. Like anything people list in their posts when people ask for help, it's up to the OP to research, consult their doctor, etc.

The OP said:
"What supplements in particular would you use to combat this and/or deal with them once they have formed?" (emphasis mine)

and so I responded to offer help in that direction. And even made note of ones on the list I personally use (or do not).

As far as stress, it can be radiation, aging, nutritional and hormonal imbalances, pufa, metals, estrogen.. (BSE - mad cow - scrapie, etc.: Stimulated amyloid degeneration and the toxic fats)

From RP article: Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health. emphasis mine:

"During stress, free fatty acids are released from the tissues, and circulating in the bloodstream they are highly susceptible to oxidation. They contribute to the formation of the age pigment, lipofuscin, which is an oxygen-wasting substance that's found in the atheroma plaques in the damaged blood vessels."

Maretch

Can't say from my own perspective buy my mother tried Niagen if i remember well. I remember that she said it was so good that it helped her to get rid of the white spots on the skin, of course wrinkles, and many other things. I don't remember what else she told me.
Personally I think that I'll try to use natural things for..
Advice, never put anything that has alcohol on your skin, it can get worse with time!

Peata

Can't say from my own perspective buy my mother tried Niagen if i remember well. I remember that she said it was so good that it helped her to get rid of the white spots on the skin, of course wrinkles, and many other things. I don't remember what else she told me.
Personally I think that I'll try to use natural things for..
Advice, never put anything that has alcohol on your skin, it can get worse with time!
Alcohol can be drying, but it has a lot of benefits in skincare products too such as killing bacteria and stimulating wound healing. Ethanol, such as in Solban, increases the penetration and efficacy of the ingredients you want in your skin (like niacinamide). My skin is dryish anyway, and I personally use a serum on top of Solban and then pat on Vaseline.

SOMO

When I put Niacinamide powder on my face, the area broke out in a bunch of tiny whitehead pimples and the skin became red and inflamed.

I also put it on my shoulder to get rid of dark spots and the same thing happened - acne + red skin. I normally don’t get acne on my shoulders, so this is was enough for me to avoid using Niacinamide topically.

I am aware that Niacinamide is used in skincare products, but I only had negative experiences with it.

YamnayaMommy

When I put Niacinamide powder on my face, the area broke out in a bunch of tiny whitehead pimples and the skin became red and inflamed.

I also put it on my shoulder to get rid of dark spots and the same thing happened - acne + red skin. I normally don’t get acne on my shoulders, so this is was enough for me to avoid using Niacinamide topically.

I am aware that Niacinamide is used in skincare products, but I only had negative experiences with it.
I also had this reaction to topical niacinamide. It was the Ordinary skincare line formula of niacinamide + zinc. Mad because I really wanted to use it for some lingering pregnancy pigmentation spots on temples.

jaminhealth

It's a big Inside Job. I am 81 and spent probably 60 some yrs in the sun, beaches, etc..and my face does not have a spot and hardly a wrinkle...yep, truth. My arms have hardly any brown spots, freckles, nor my shoulders....and believe me I had a lot from the SUN.

I've been taking Grape Seed Extract for now close to 25 yrs, and it's 50 times more powerful than Vit E, and 20 times more powerful than Vit C.

I have NOT taken an allergy or sinus med in about 25 yrs too.

And there is SO MUCH more this antioxidant does for us.

Do a search and learn.

YamnayaMommy

It's a big Inside Job. I am 81 and spent probably 60 some yrs in the sun, beaches, etc..and my face does not have a spot and hardly a wrinkle...yep, truth. My arms have hardly any brown spots, freckles, nor my shoulders....and believe me I had a lot from the SUN.

I've been taking Grape Seed Extract for now close to 25 yrs, and it's 50 times more powerful than Vit E, and 20 times more powerful than Vit C.

Do a search and learn.

How much can someone earn by posting favorable personal anecdotes about GSE on alternative health forums?

jaminhealth

How much can someone earn by posting favorable personal anecdotes about GSE on alternative health forums?

Earn What? Could you care to explain your comment. What else is there BUT personal experiences in one's life, huh?

Believe me I report about bad experiences I've gone thru in my life too...like the damage I live with from joint replacement surgery of the hip.

Last edited:

baccheion

Do a search and learn.
Pics?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals