Thread of better quality food options (UK)

A.R

@pedigree

I use this realise it is for horses but I find this pretty amazing absolutely no smell, dissolves quickly and completely even in cold juice with absolutely no taste.
Very good value for money.
I haven't grown Hooves yet ??
Do you know from what animal the collagen is derived from?

I usually buy this. £23 for 1kg.

A.R

Does anyone have a preferred gelatin powder source they could recommend? Thanks

If anyone has anything better value for money please let me know.

A.R

I've been looking into raw and pasteurised honey recently and noticed that none of the honey I've bought in UK supermarkets says it's pasteurised. I then found that in the UK no product can be called honey if it is pasteurised, as the temperatures necessary destroy enzymes which have to be present for it to be lawfully sold as honey. It seems most manufacturers do heat their honey but just enough to filter and bottle it.

I think it's good to support local beekeepers over supermerkets, still it's good to know that anything sold as honey in the UK should have some of the beneficial enzymes intact. As supermarket honey goes, the 'groovy food' organic honeys from Mexico are quite nice, the Acacia honey dissolves easily with minimal heat and the wildflower has a very rich/smoky flavour. I tried a regular honey from the co-op and in contrast it tasted nasty, the difference was huge.

I noticed when having honey recently that it really opens up my breathing, I can see why it can help with asthma and coughs. One night I started to get a tickly cough as I was trying to fall asleep, then let some honey roll down my throat and fell asleep easily.
Thank you for this information. I will definitely be looking to buy local honey from now on.

A.R

They're coming for our milk, this is war!

Time to start looking at getting a goat?
I was actually one time going through a phase when I wanted to start up a little goat farm. For meat and milk. However, goats don’t really do well with British weather.

Jayvee

Great thread btw!

I used to buy the tinned pineapple slices from Lidl, but I found out after reading on this forum that pineapple contains a lot of serotonin 🤦‍♂️

Really greatful for reading that, because I kept of eating them despite not feeling good under the impression that the bromelain in the pineapple was doing me good digestive wise.

I dont think this is the case. I dont think serotonin from pineapples cross the blood brain barrier or affect the areas of the brain significantly where serotonin is not wanted. I drink nearly a litre of pineapple juice a day with no negative side effects. I think the bromelain itself can cause negative symptoms in the gut but that subsides after a few weeks, that was what I was told anyway and it seems to be true with my own experience.

A.R

I dont think this is the case. I dont think serotonin from pineapples cross the blood brain barrier or affect the areas of the brain significantly where serotonin is not wanted. I drink nearly a litre of pineapple juice a day with no negative side effects. I think the bromelain itself can cause negative symptoms in the gut but that subsides after a few weeks, that was what I was told anyway and it seems to be true with my own experience.
I hope what you are saying is true and I’m happy for you that you are getting good effects from the juice. I read somewhere on this forum that it increases serotonin the body. I don’t know. I was also eating pineapple because I read how it really helps flush out and clean the intestines. I don’t know I might start eating it again. The tinned pineapple is a lot more convenient/cheaper than buying the fresh, as it’s already slice up and ripe. Buying fresh can be hit and miss(and more costly).

Jayvee

I hope what you are saying is true and I’m happy for you that you are getting good effects from the juice. I read somewhere on this forum that it increases serotonin the body. I don’t know. I was also eating pineapple because I read how it really helps flush out and clean the intestines. I don’t know I might start eating it again. The tinned pineapple is a lot more convenient/cheaper than buying the fresh, as it’s already slice up and ripe. Buying fresh can be hit and miss(and more costly).

I think it is up for debate where exactly that serotonin affects but Initially I found pineapple difficult and just assumed it was serotonin but I'm fairly certain it was just bromelain doing its thing and my intestines/body adjusting. On that note 'eager' pineapple juice on amazon is pretty good and affordable. I found some cheap 1l glass bottles of pineapple juice but it was too awkward constantly ordering it rather than Amazons subscribe option

A.R

I think it is up for debate where exactly that serotonin affects but Initially I found pineapple difficult and just assumed it was serotonin but I'm fairly certain it was just bromelain doing its thing and my intestines/body adjusting. On that note 'eager' pineapple juice on amazon is pretty good and affordable. I found some cheap 1l glass bottles of pineapple juice but it was too awkward constantly ordering it rather than Amazons subscribe option
Personally I like to stick to fruit because I find it more satiating, rather than sipping on juice. Thanks for the suggestion anyway 🙂

GodsHound

Tesco do sourdough 'bake at home' baguettes without the typical fortified flour ingredients like iron. I think these are exempt from the fortification regulations.

Also, I've found Tesco's freshly squeezed OJ to be adequate recently.

golder

Tesco do sourdough 'bake at home' baguettes without the typical fortified flour ingredients like iron. I think these are exempt from the fortification regulations.

Also, I've found Tesco's freshly squeezed OJ to be adequate recently.
Didn’t know this about tescos sourdough baguettes. If so, great find thanks. If you get a chance to take a picture of it any point, that would be really useful.

golder

What's up with M&S orange juice lately?
Agreed. It’s definitely not as sweet. I had a Tesco finest the other day (which I don’t love, but I conveniently live right next to one) and instead of the usual 5/10 in terms of taste and sweetness, it was like a 9.5 and one of the best I’ve ever had anywhere. Strange. Not sure if supermarkets are changing sources at the moment due to the recession/price changes.

P

Peatness

Agreed. It’s definitely not as sweet. I had a Tesco finest the other day (which I don’t love, but I conveniently live right next to one) and instead of the usual 5/10 in terms of taste and sweetness, it was like a 9.5 and one of the best I’ve ever had anywhere. Strange. Not sure if supermarkets are changing sources at the moment due to the recession/price changes.
Thanks. I don't normally rate tesco's orange juice but will give it a go.

Lizb

does anyone use this website?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals