Thread of better quality food options (UK)

Jayvee

Have you complained about that or got your money back? If you're paying through the nose for those items and they are arriving smashed up, that's not really good enough?

Yeah in fairness they refund everytime, it's just not convenient planning meals and then all the juice arrives smashed up (and cleaning glass off the unbroken bottles). It's also just really expensive anyway because it's super high quality. I have no idea why white grape juice isnt more available in the UK, it's delicious but everywhere seems to of discontinued it, probably a Brexit/import thing.

Jayvee

For anyone interested... I've been in touch with this cheese maker today (after craving cheddar) and he has confirmed the following use animal Rennet (as do 'most' of his other cheeses)....

I'm doing an order soon so I'll report back.

Lizb

For anyone interested... I've been in touch with this cheese maker today (after craving cheddar) and he has confirmed the following use animal Rennet (as do 'most' of his other cheeses)....

I'm doing an order soon so I'll report back.
I had some Baron Bigod recently which I can see they sell, from Summerfields in Hampshire - very tasty.

golder

I'm a bit of a cheese novice, but I've just bought some sourdough pizza bases. Can someone with a bit of cheees knowledge recommend me a cheese from this 'rennerandrind' company that uses animal Rennet that would work on a pizza base? Thank you!

GodsHound

I like this Icelandic Skyr yoghurt. It’s strained of lactic acid like Greek yoghurt but I find it much less acidic than Greek. High protein. It’s in most supermarkets.
68697361-7318-4E32-BCE9-163613C5D3A8.jpeg

GodsHound

D

Does anyone know the Greek yoghurt with the least bitter taste (eg the least lactic acid).
I use to eat Fage, it's pretty good but I think Arla's Skyr has less lactic acid just going on taste, it's so creamy and mild.

GodsHound

Costco has various cheeses made with traditional animal rennet for a good price. I got some Parmesan and wookey hole cheddar.

Costco has various cheeses made with traditional animal rennet for a good price. I got some Parmesan and wookey hole cheddar.
They have rennet, but they also have bacteria and “cultures”. You gotta find cheese made with ONLY rennet. They do that with sourdough, you do the quick scan of ingredients and see there is “starter”, but then you look a little more and see the added yeast, which is no good. I have found only rennet cheese only online, and trust me I look and always still look.,

Jayvee

The owner of the cheese business I recommended before messaged me to say that you can now filter by traditional rennet on his website. I am waiting for my next payday to do an order. Just need to find one that is low in histamine/not aged and it might be a winner.

GodsHound

They have rennet, but they also have bacteria and “cultures”. You gotta find cheese made with ONLY rennet. They do that with sourdough, you do the quick scan of ingredients and see there is “starter”, but then you look a little more and see the added yeast, which is no good. I have found only rennet cheese only online, and trust me I look and always still look.,
I should have clarified, the Wookey Hole cave aged cheddar made by Ford Farm (which would be a UK exclusive as it's made in a cave in England lol), is made with traditional animal rennet and is the only reasonably priced animal-rennet cheddar I've found here in the UK. There are other animal rennet cheeses at costco here, including of course parmagiano regiano and other european DOP imports. I just look to see if the packaging states 'suitable for vegetarians', if it doesn't say this then you can assume it's made with animal rennet.

That's useful to know about sourdough, thanks.

golder

I should have clarified, the Wookey Hole cave aged cheddar made by Ford Farm (which would be a UK exclusive as it's made in a cave in England lol), is made with traditional animal rennet and is the only reasonably priced animal-rennet cheddar I've found here in the UK. There are other animal rennet cheeses at costco here, including of course parmagiano regiano and other european DOP imports. I just look to see if the packaging states 'suitable for vegetarians', if it doesn't say this then you can assume it's made with animal rennet.

That's useful to know about sourdough, thanks.
Amazing stuff, well found! Where can you buy the Wookey Hole cave aged cheddar?

ursidae

Food supply in the UK getting worse. Been wasting so much money on food that's spoiled. Bought some dried fruit recently and even that was spoiled
I suspect a lot of the vegetables (with no peels) are waxed. Bought some organic celery a week ago and there was this thin greasy film on it, similar to the one on waxed apples. Had to bin it. Did some research and apparently food grade wax can be animal based or paraffin (petroleum derived). It's used on organic items too and in some countries the use of paraffin wax is prohibited for organic produce. I doubt that's the case here, north east scotland has some of the worst food supply I have ever seen in my life. I presume they're doing it because of the new "no use by date, helps reduce waste" environmentalist excuse they use to sell rotten food, even though every single item is still being packaged in plastic. Oh and prices are rising so fast too it's insane

golder

Food supply in the UK getting worse. Been wasting so much money on food that's spoiled. Bought some dried fruit recently and even that was spoiled
I suspect a lot of the vegetables (with no peels) are waxed. Bought some organic celery a week ago and there was this thin greasy film on it, similar to the one on waxed apples. Had to bin it. Did some research and apparently food grade wax can be animal based or paraffin (petroleum derived). It's used on organic items too and in some countries the use of paraffin wax is prohibited for organic produce. I doubt that's the case here, north east scotland has some of the worst food supply I have ever seen in my life. I presume they're doing it because of the new "no use by date, helps reduce waste" environmentalist excuse they use to sell rotten food, even though every single item is still being packaged in plastic. Oh and prices are rising so fast too it's insane
Worrying times for sure. Each week I go into the supermarket most items seem to go 10-15percent.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals