Seasoning, Spices And Preservatives Protect Your Food From Microbes (even After Ingestion)

Amazoniac

People that don't really care why Jordy never made it to the Franc bill;
burtlancast;

A story with a comment:
A landlord that I know used to enjoy eating a commercial dulce de leche, common where I live, available in most places. I suggested that he tried an artisan one, that the quality is much higher, fresher, and doesn't even contain preservatives.
On the same day that the guy tried he ended feeling sick to the point of deciding to skip his daily activities on the following day. He then told me that that happened twice to him, exactly on the two times that he tried the better one. I couldn't figure out at that time and attributed the effect to some allergic reaction to that milk.

Many months later I realized that the reason that this guy had that reaction, was because the preservative in that brand protected the lactose that he normally has severe problems with. That same thing applies when he ingested, because the preservative wasn't just coating, it was emulsified; added right before finishing the process in massive doses (noticed on institutional video).

I was impressed and started to pay more attention to how seasonings (and spices) with antimicrobial properties affect our reaction to foods. If you don't believe me, experiment yourself. You'll realize that when the food tastes good to you, it's the sweet spot where the seasonings are protecting the most: irritating more the microbes than your intestines, making it difficult for them to access your food.
Steaming and boiling affect differently how seasonings are incorporated: just coating or incorporated into the foods.
Salts, fats, acids, plant toxins (even when used just to flavour, and the solid parts discarted after), and so on.
In hospitals, which is supposedly the place where people would benefit the most from meals with combinations like that, is ironically a place that is known for having bland foods.

The preservative was potassium sorbate, by the way.

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Such_, I think that you'll be pleased to know that I did an experiment a while ago (2-3 months) of a removing starches completely; and after reintroducing, I did notice that they dumbed me down a bit, made my mood more unstable/susceptible. I didn't use to cry rereading pboy's posts, now, well.. Concentration wise, it demands some straining to accomplish the same task compared to when I’m off starches. So, yeah, they do have significant downsides that I cannot neglect.
Now, I try to mitigate them as much as possible. Seasoning seems to affect..

Such_, I think that you'll be pleased to know that I did an experiment a while ago (2-3 months) of a removing starches completely; and after reintroducing, I did notice that they dumbed me down a bit, made my mood more unstable/susceptible. I didn't use to cry rereading pboy's posts, now, well.. Concentration wise, it demands some straining to accomplish the same task compared to when I’m off starches. So, yeah, they do have significant downsides that I cannot neglect.
Now, I try to mitigate them as much as possible. Seasoning seems to affect..

I'm not pleased because I'm not surprised lol I just wish it wasn't so.

EIRE24

People that don't really care why Jordy never made it to the Franc bill;
burtlancast;

A story with a comment:
A landlord that I know used to enjoy eating a commercial dulce de leche, common where I live, available in most places. I suggested that he tried an artisan one, that the quality is much higher, fresher, and doesn't even contain preservatives.
On the same day that the guy tried he ended feeling sick to the point of deciding to skip his daily activities on the following day. He then told me that that happened twice to him, exactly on the two times that he tried the better one. I couldn't figure out at that time and attributed the effect to some allergic reaction to that milk.

Many months later I realized that the reason that this guy had that reaction, was because the preservative in that brand protected the lactose that he normally has severe problems with. That same thing applies when he ingested, because the preservative wasn't just coating, it was emulsified; added right before finishing the process in massive doses (noticed on institutional video).

I was impressed and started to pay more attention to how seasonings (and spices) with antimicrobial properties affect our reaction to foods. If you don't believe me, experiment yourself. You'll realize that when the food tastes good to you, it's the sweet spot where the seasonings are protecting the most: irritating more the microbes than your intestines, making it difficult for them to access your food.
Steaming and boiling affect differently how seasonings are incorporated: just coating or incorporated into the foods.
Salts, fats, acids, plant toxins (even when used just to flavour, and the solid parts discarted after), and so on.
In hospitals, which is supposedly the place where people would benefit the most from meals with combinations like that, is ironically a place that is known for having bland foods.

The preservative was potassium sorbate, by the way.

So food that is preserved with additives protects it from causing things that will make you sick?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

So food that is preserved with additives protects it from causing things that will make you sick?
It seems that some preservatives keep protecting the food even after ingested. So, in the context of people that react bad to foods due to their interaction with bacteria, the preservative might be doing more good than harm, by making the access to the food more difficult for microbes.

I can get that as a good idea, but I don't see it tying in with the story really well.

If you are lactose intolerant, you can take some lactase enzyme and then drink regular milk and the two will interact in your stomach and gut. I don't see why spices and herbs shouldn't be responsible for improving digestion and altering the gut biome.

EIRE24

I can get that as a good idea, but I don't see it tying in with the story really well.

If you are lactose intolerant, you can take some lactase enzyme and then drink regular milk and the two will interact in your stomach and gut. I don't see why spices and herbs shouldn't be responsible for improving digestion and altering the gut biome.

Would taking lactose always work that way or could you still have problems with milk?

What spices and herbs are best in helping digestion in your experience?