Thread of better quality food options (UK)

ScottyVP

Morrisons do Valencia orange ice lollies that are just OJ and sugar, very tasty. They also have pink lemonade that are good too

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

makaronai

Just tried the raw milk from Gazegill organics and did not like it all. Very thin and tastes barny. Anyone else? So far nothing compares to Guernsey milk from Abel & Cole.

golder

Just tried the raw milk from Gazegill organics and did not like it all. Very thin and tastes barny. Anyone else? So far nothing compares to Guernsey milk from Abel & Cole.
Love the guernsey milk from Abel and Cole. It’s incredibly high in fat though isn’t it? Very hard to not get overweight having more than a few glasses a day?

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Love the guernsey milk from Abel and Cole. It’s incredibly high in fat though isn’t it? Very hard to not get overweight having more than a few glasses a day?
It does build up quick. I've wanted to drink more milk lately so switched from Jersey back to the St Helen's semi-skimmed goat milk. Not ideal quality wise but it tastes good. If I'm having 6 cups a day it saves around 45g of fat and 400 calories, which is big over the course of a week.

1626093790825.png

P

Peatness

It does build up quick. I've wanted to drink more milk lately so switched from Jersey back to the St Helen's semi-skimmed goat milk. Not ideal quality wise but it tastes good. If I'm having 6 cups a day it saves around 45g of fat and 400 calories, which is big over the course of a week.

View attachment 25236
Try this brand

1626094178033.png

Ismail

Nice raw honey that works out reasonably priced when bought in the bulk tub.

I remember when I was in Belgium many years ago I met the owner of Weyn's honey (a famous brand in Belgium apparently), he told me about something called HMF (HydroxyMethylFurfuraldehyde), which supposedly tells you how much heat treatment a honey has had etc. - apparently the lower the number the better (if I remember correctly).

Anyways, when I saw this brand: little over apiaries in Sainsburys I was so pleased to see a honey which claims to be unheated and/or "raw" and cold extracted.

I started purchasing their honey and it was and is quite nice. I thought I'd ring them to ask what their HMF figure was for their acacia version, just being extra curious etc. What happened next was a little surprising and not very nice; I was met with hostility on the phone and was asked which government department I was calling from?! LOL! I told them I was a customer who is somewhat of a connoisseur of honey and really like their honey and was just genuinely interested. They put me through to the MD eventually at the time, who was also somewhat reserved and treated me like I had committed a crime. She was also quite rude and started telling me not to ask such questions, which to be honest caused me some concern and even suspicion as to why they were so resistant to providing that information.

I experienced such bad customer service and it was really off putting, I just decided to stop buying their honey and switched to buying other local honey which now there is plenty available here in Surrey.

Anyways, a slight tangent :)

On a more positive note, I came across these cereals in Waitrose which have no fortified vitamins (please attached pictures).

Attachments

• IMG_5984093E11D8-1.jpeg
    IMG_5984093E11D8-1.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5984093E11D8-2.jpeg
    IMG_5984093E11D8-2.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5984093E11D8-3.jpeg
    IMG_5984093E11D8-3.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5984093E11D8-4.jpeg
    IMG_5984093E11D8-4.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 16

golder

I remember when I was in Belgium many years ago I met the owner of Weyn's honey (a famous brand in Belgium apparently), he told me about something called HMF (HydroxyMethylFurfuraldehyde), which supposedly tells you how much heat treatment a honey has had etc. - apparently the lower the number the better (if I remember correctly).

Anyways, when I saw this brand: little over apiaries in Sainsburys I was so pleased to see a honey which claims to be unheated and/or "raw" and cold extracted.

I started purchasing their honey and it was and is quite nice. I thought I'd ring them to ask what their HMF figure was for their acacia version, just being extra curious etc. What happened next was a little surprising and not very nice; I was met with hostility on the phone and was asked which government department I was calling from?! LOL! I told them I was a customer who is somewhat of a connoisseur of honey and really like their honey and was just genuinely interested. They put me through to the MD eventually at the time, who was also somewhat reserved and treated me like I had committed a crime. She was also quite rude and started telling me not to ask such questions, which to be honest caused me some concern and even suspicion as to why they were so resistant to providing that information.

I experienced such bad customer service and it was really off putting, I just decided to stop buying their honey and switched to buying other local honey which now there is plenty available here in Surrey.

Anyways, a slight tangent :)

On a more positive note, I came across these cereals in Waitrose which have no fortified vitamins (please attached pictures).
Been looking for a non-fortified cereal!! Thank you :)

makaronai

Oh then what about using it instead of cream in coffee? I’m slightly underweight + breastfeeding so fatty milk does me good!
Re Whole Earth cereal, it contains soy lecithin.
Stumbled upon this one in the corner shop the other day when was craving for cornflakes.

Ismail

Oh then what about using it instead of cream in coffee? I’m slightly underweight + breastfeeding so fatty milk does me good!
Re Whole Earth cereal, it contains soy lecithin.
Stumbled upon this one in the corner shop the other day when was craving for cornflakes.

Omg you’re right, it does contain it.

Not to sound silly, but what’s wrong with soy lecithin? Is it due to the PUFAs? If so there’s a very small amount, per 100g only 0.8g is Fat ??‍♂️

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals