Thread of better quality food options (UK)

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Haven’t had the carrot salad for a while but was craving it so thought I’d get some decent olive oil to have with it. This was on offer in Sainsbury’s for £5.20. Lower PUFA content than others on the shelf. Tastes good - nice and peppery.

Attachments

• 16826949-1600-4834-9200-72AAD7F4F2DD.jpeg
    16826949-1600-4834-9200-72AAD7F4F2DD.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 08E24008-9591-4090-B2BE-6F91D7FB9CA3.jpeg
    08E24008-9591-4090-B2BE-6F91D7FB9CA3.jpeg
    668.1 KB · Views: 30
P

Peatness

Haven’t had the carrot salad for a while but was craving it so thought I’d get some decent olive oil to have with it. This was on offer in Sainsbury’s for £5.20. Lower PUFA content than others on the shelf. Tastes good - nice and peppery.
Thanks will look out for it. Do you refrigerate your olive oil after opening? I heard Peat suggest doing so

maillol

If you eat bread, those bake at home baguettes in Asda don't have any iron in them because they're made in France where they don't fortify their flour.

Bit more expensive than the super market, but their is an online bakery called Leakers who do really good slow ferment sourdough without rye(found loads of sourdough in the UK but lots of em use rye)not fortified either

Love the guernsey milk from Abel and Cole. It’s incredibly high in fat though isn’t it? Very hard to not get overweight having more than a few glasses a day?
Able&Coles milk gave me horrendous food poisoning like symptoms twice. They refunded me the first time but told me not to purchase again, Then they contacted me just after their last health inspection and sent me 4 litres free of charge just to prove a point. I reacted poorly to that one too. I've had raw milk from other Jersey Cows,Gazegill, some local place to me that doesn't sell online, and a farmer retailer in Scotland and ruled out i don't have an issue with raw milk in general. I've even tried raw colostrum which i asked a local organic dairy farmer to sort me with(was very therapeutic but incredibly high in fat and expensive)and not even that caused me to react the way the Abel&Cole milk does. I don't know what it is since they sent me a batch right after their health inspection and it was the exact same response. Still kind of puzzled to this day

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Thanks will look out for it. Do you refrigerate your olive oil after opening? I heard Peat suggest doing so
It’s ages since I’ve had olive oil but I usually just keep it in a dark cupboard. I think a decent one will solidify in the fridge.

golder

Able&Coles milk gave me horrendous food poisoning like symptoms twice. They refunded me the first time but told me not to purchase again, Then they contacted me just after their last health inspection and sent me 4 litres free of charge just to prove a point. I reacted poorly to that one too. I've had raw milk from other Jersey Cows,Gazegill, some local place to me that doesn't sell online, and a farmer retailer in Scotland and ruled out i don't have an issue with raw milk in general. I've even tried raw colostrum which i asked a local organic dairy farmer to sort me with(was very therapeutic but incredibly high in fat and expensive)and not even that caused me to react the way the Abel&Cole milk does. I don't know what it is since they sent me a batch right after their health inspection and it was the exact same response. Still kind of puzzled to this day
Strange. They are known for having such great quality and attention to detail. Not sure what's happened here..?

Strange. They are known for having such great quality and attention to detail. Not sure what's happened here..?
Me neither. I was told some people cannot handle the quantity of bacteria and enzymes present in raw milk and it can be a sort of shock to the system, but as i pointed out to them, i had tried raw milk from other vendors and had not had any issues even when drinking large quantities. I know the stuff is good, and i don't think it was e.coli related, as they showed me a copy of their most recent health inspection, but either way and whatever the issue is, it certainly does not agree with me:confused:

golder

Me neither. I was told some people cannot handle the quantity of bacteria and enzymes present in raw milk and it can be a sort of shock to the system, but as i pointed out to them, i had tried raw milk from other vendors and had not had any issues even when drinking large quantities. I know the stuff is good, and i don't think it was e.coli related, as they showed me a copy of their most recent health inspection, but either way and whatever the issue is, it certainly does not agree with me:confused:
They don’t sell raw milk? Just unhomogenised?

They don’t sell raw milk? Just unhomogenised?
Lol...sorry, complete and utter brainfart on my part. I just checked my email and it wasn't Abel&Cole. It was Hook&Son. The "&"probably through me off coupled with my sieve of a memory. My bad :banghead:

golder

Been on the hunt for a chocolate milk that doesn’t have gums/fillers. I’ve searched 5+ supermarkets in the UK. No luck yet

M

metabolizm

M&S and Waitrose do milk chocolate without emulsifiers. 46% and 49% respectively, if I remember correctly.

Been on the hunt for a chocolate milk that doesn’t have gums/fillers. I’ve searched 5+ supermarkets in the UK. No luck yet
There's a place that sells raw milk i think called "TheOldFarmShop"they did, or perhaps still do chocolate milk that's made with raw A2 dairy. Their delivery rates are a bit scandalous though if you don't order bulk

Found it again: Raw Jersey Flavoured Milk 1L