THE ROOT OF GRAY HAIR

pushkin

That's me too! I tried a perm on two different occasions, years apart, and both hair dressers were baffled why the perm wouldn't take, and I ended up with a long afro on one occasion. One time a friend talked me into doing "highlights" just in the front, which wouldn't "lift" either so he put me under a hair dryer and when it lifted he panicked because it turned pure white. Eventually it all broke off and my hairline had to all grow back. I have only had salon horror stories, and I went to "high end" salons. When I did the nettle I wasn't crazy about the color cause it was too yellow, but it was better than gray. I haven't taken it for a couple of years and so it has lightened up and gotten a few grays again, so adding nettle back in with liver will make for a good experiment :)
yes, it's crazy what people let themselves in for at hairdressers isn't it? I am sure it is a lot better than it used to be but even so, I wouldn't risk it again - I was going to get a professional colour in my hair one time and they gave me a patch test behind my ear and I had a really weird reaction to it that night, thought I was having a fit or something so I of course didn't go ahead with it. I am sooo glad I didn't!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
yes, it's crazy what people let themselves in for at hairdressers isn't it? I am sure it is a lot better than it used to be but even so, I wouldn't risk it again - I was going to get a professional colour in my hair one time and they gave me a patch test behind my ear and I had a really weird reaction to it that night, thought I was having a fit or something so I of course didn't go ahead with it. I am sooo glad I didn't!

Have you seen the Yao women? They have jet black hair down to the ground in their old age using fermented rice water.

"The Internet is full of anecdotal evidence for the efficacy of rice water, but there is science behind it as well. Rice itself is full of essential vitamins and minerals, which are then transferred to the water when rice water is made.

These include vitamins B and C, which are terrific for hair. It also contains amino acids and antioxidants, which can help detox your hair.

In 2010, the International Journal of Cosmetic Science published an article about the benefits of using rice water in human hair. They concluded that using rice water had two main benefits: increasing the elasticity of the hair and reducing surface friction."

Attachments

• download.jpeg-p.jpg
    download.jpeg-p.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 18

pushkin

Have you seen the Yao women? They have jet black hair down to the ground in their old age using fermented rice water.

"The Internet is full of anecdotal evidence for the efficacy of rice water, but there is science behind it as well. Rice itself is full of essential vitamins and minerals, which are then transferred to the water when rice water is made.

These include vitamins B and C, which are terrific for hair. It also contains amino acids and antioxidants, which can help detox your hair.

In 2010, the International Journal of Cosmetic Science published an article about the benefits of using rice water in human hair. They concluded that using rice water had two main benefits: increasing the elasticity of the hair and reducing surface friction."
ah, yes i saw something on this - thank you. I am atm committed to my grey hair, over shoulder length now after a standing start of 25mm (buzz cut) three years ago. I have never had so many positive comments about it, which I love - in fact I was having a conversation with four friends about which hair they would love to have and all three pointed to me and I pointed to myself - win/win I think! I would recommend it!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
ah, yes i saw something on this - thank you. I am atm committed to my grey hair, over shoulder length now after a standing start of 25mm (buzz cut) three years ago. I have never had so many positive comments about it, which I love - in fact I was having a conversation with four friends about which hair they would love to have and all three pointed to me and I pointed to myself - win/win I think! I would recommend it!

I can imagine! Your undyed hair looks healthier and thicker than everyone around you that dyes theirs. Have you landed a good shampoo? I am still struggling with that one. I bought a minimal ingredient shampoo bar, but it is just too heavy for my hair.

Ismail

Yayyy! I have been having a stressful few days and your saying this really cheered me! I miss scrambled eggs and ketchup, but I just fry up a couple of yolks for a snack now and really don't miss the whites.
?❤️

I’ve been having sourdough toast and egg yolks since this post everyday and I don’t have the crash/stress response I used to get from having whole eggs, thank you as always @Rinse & rePeat

Hope you’re feeling better ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
?❤️

I’ve been having sourdough toast and egg yolks since this post everyday and I don’t have the crash/stress response I used to get from having whole eggs, thank you as always @Rinse & rePeat

Hope you’re feeling better ?

That makes me happy to hear Ismail! I always look forward to hearing your positive reports :)

pushkin

I can imagine! Your undyed hair looks healthier and thicker than everyone around you that dyes theirs. Have you landed a good shampoo? I am still struggling with that one. I bought a minimal ingredient shampoo bar, but it is just too heavy for my hair.

I gave in and bought Hairstory's 'New Wash' - Very, very expensive but I am able to wash my hair every ten days when i use it so it lasts for a long time - I thought i wouldn't buy it again cos of the price and just last night used a regular (natural) shampoo and was disgusted with it, I could literally feel the crap in it that i was unable to wash out. so I may bite the bullet and buy hairstory again. It just feels like you have literally nothing in your hair, yet it is soft and well-conditioned. Shame it is so expensive though.

Veritas IV

Hello all, new user.

About a dozen years ago, while in my late 30;'s, my barber and his assistant would comment on how i didn't have any gray hair. Fast forward to today and it's remained the nearly the same, slightly more receded and about 50 to 100 grays spread around. I've never plucked them, but now i'm thinking i should.

Till i discovered this forum in early 2020, i had never realized it was possibly the nettle leaf products i had been sporadically taking. Teas, pills and even one of my shampoos at the time. I still take the pills but take a weeklong break once the bottle finishes. I notice no negative effects both on or off the pill, it seems pretty benign for me.

About a year ago i increased my copper intake, previously i had neglected to keep track of it. My future research will involve metabolically healthier shampoos or hairwash.

Many thanks to the OP and everyone else for their contributions.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hello all, new user.

About a dozen years ago, while in my late 30;'s, my barber and his assistant would comment on how i didn't have any gray hair. Fast forward to today and it's remained the nearly the same, slightly more receded and about 50 to 100 grays spread around. I've never plucked them, but now i'm thinking i should.

Till i discovered this forum in early 2020, i had never realized it was possibly the nettle leaf products i had been sporadically taking. Teas, pills and even one of my shampoos at the time. I still take the pills but take a weeklong break once the bottle finishes. I notice no negative effects both on or off the pill, it seems pretty benign for me.

About a year ago i increased my copper intake, previously i had neglected to keep track of it. My future research will involve metabolically healthier shampoos or hairwash.

Many thanks to the OP and everyone else for their contributions.

Welcome Vic! More proof that that nettle is something else! I am anxious to see what your shampoo research turns up. I started back on my liver yesterday and starting nettle again today, probably every other day like you. Life has been so busy I have been neglecting some good things too. This thread has been a good reminder :)

Ismail

This was talked about before by others too, but in recent years I developed a stress response from eggs, I was eating mainly boiled eggs.
Every time I ate them my heart started pounding, I cannot recall being tired or not.
I am not saying tryptophan because I have eating foods much higher in tryptophan without that effect the eggs gave me.

There has been before the recommendation of adding carbs to off-set this issue, but it didn't seem to help.
Sorry I missed your comment.

Yes the same kinda happens to me too, i.e. adding carbs to off-set the issue didn't help either.

Ismail

Welcome Vic! More proof that that nettle is something else! I am anxious to see what your shampoo research turns up. I started back on my liver yesterday and starting nettle again today, probably every other day like you. Life has been so busy I have been neglecting some good things too. This thread has been a good reminder :)

How much liver do you eat when you do have it?

I remember the first time I had organic beef liver, I felt amazing later that day and especially the following day, it was very noticeable.

It's not that easy for me to get organic beef liver, so I settle for lamb liver, though it doesn't seem to have the same effect - I'm assuming that organic and well looked after animals will of course produce better meat and organ meats etc. ?

Is there much difference between lamb and beef liver? (from a Peat perspective)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
How much liver do you eat when you do have it?

I remember the first time I had organic beef liver, I felt amazing later that day and especially the following day, it was very noticeable.

It's not that easy for me to get organic beef liver, so I settle for lamb liver, though it doesn't seem to have the same effect - I'm assuming that organic and well looked after animals will of course produce better meat and organ meats etc. ?

Is there much difference between lamb and beef liver? (from a Peat perspective)

You don't get the same effect from lamb liver, I wonder why? I kinda get the impression Ray likes the value of lamb over beef, except that he says it has more iron than beef. I found some lamb liver this week and was gonna order it, because it has been described as milder and sweet, but now I am rethinking it since you say this.

When I am mindful about taking care of myself and eat my liver I try to get 3 to 4 ounces a week of it, but I eat it one ounce a day every other day. I definetly see a difference in my skin tone and color and it seems to darken my eyebrows.

I love that a pound of grass fed liver costs me only $5 dollars, and would never eat liver from the meat case as it is too livery tasting. Apparently liver gets an "off" taste quickly, so buying it frozen keeps it's flavor mild. Have you checked the freezer area in your market for it? I buy mine in a braunschweiger form, which is 60% beef and 40% liver. I just portion out the pound roll, then defrost and eat it cold most times. Sometimes I do more with it, like day before yesterday I sauted chunks of the braunschweiger in butter with onions and finshed it off with some sour cream and Italian parsley.

Attachments

• 20211111_133304.jpg
    20211111_133304.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

DirtySkeeze

You don't get the same effect from lamb liver, I wonder why? I kinda get the impression Ray likes the value of lamb over beef, except that he says it has more iron than beef. I found some lamb liver this week and was gonna order it, because it has been described as milder and sweet, but now I am rethinking it since you say this.

When I am mindful about taking care of myself and eat my liver I try to get 3 to 4 ounces a week of it, but I eat it one ounce a day every other day. I definetly see a difference in my skin tone and color and it seems to darken my eyebrows.

I love that a pound of grass fed liver costs me only $5 dollars, and would never eat liver from the meat case as it is too livery tasting. Apparently liver gets an "off" taste quickly, so buying it frozen keeps it's flavor mild. Have you checked the freezer area in your market for it? I buy mine in a braunschweiger form, which is 60% beef and 40% liver. I just portion out the pound roll, then defrost and eat it cold most times. Sometimes I do more with it, like day before yesterday I sauted chunks of the braunschweiger in butter with onions and finshed it off with some sour cream and Italian parsley.
That looks delicious! Where do you get it in braunschweiger form?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That looks delicious! Where do you get it in braunschweiger form?

Grasslandbeef.com. They charge only $9 for shipping!

It is really good seasoning it like taco meat or sometimes I even mix it with some ground beef for a stroganoff, which is my husband's favorite. He has refused to eat liver, but he goes on and on about my liver stroganoff. I recently confessed that his favorite ground beef tacos and stroganoff is liver braunschweiger and he was a little annoyed, but more open to the having the braunschwaeger now.

Attachments

• 20210630_183848.jpg
    20210630_183848.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210112_175206.jpg
    20210112_175206.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210819_150856.jpg
    20210819_150856.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211111_143732.jpg
    20211111_143732.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 22

DirtySkeeze

Grasslandbeef.com. They charge only $9 for shipping!

It is really good seasoning it like taco meat or sometimes I even mix it with some ground beef for a stroganoff, which is my husband's favorite. He has refused to eat liver, but he goes on and on about my liver stroganoff. I recently confessed that his favorite ground beef tacos and stroganoff is liver braunschweiger and he was a little annoyed, but more open to the having the braunschwaeger now.
Im going to take your recipes! You are the best!

Is this just as good as braunchweiger? Or would u say i should mix both in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114-154626.png
    Screenshot_20211114-154626.png
    264 KB · Views: 10
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Im going to take your recipes! You are the best!

Is this just as good as braunchweiger? Or would u say i should mix both in?

Thanks Skeeze! No those blends are not as good as the braunschweiger, but I do use a liver kidney ground lamb blend in meatloaf though and gound beef tacos too. Ray Peat doesn't talk too highly about eating kidneys, butthe lamb blend I use has only 10% kidneys and 10% lamb. The braunschwaeger from grassland beef is full cooked and pretty darned good because of it's fine texture and seasonings. I mostly like it becaue because i can eat it straight out of the freezer just defrosted, whichbmakes for a quick luch without all the extra fat and mess to clean up afterwards.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"You may already be eating foods that naturally contain sulfur or MSM. Common foods rich in this compound include:

*coffee
*beer
*tea
*raw milk
*tomatoes
*alfalfa sprouts
*leafy green vegetables
*apples
*raspberries
*whole grains

Cooking these foods can decrease the natural presence of MSM. Eating these foods unprocessed or raw is the best way to consume optimal amounts of this natural compound. MSM supplements can also be taken in combination with MSM found naturally in foods."

Gustav3Y

So if "caffeine is not terrible soluble in water" what to put it in that could go on the scalp?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals