Taurine Improves Kidney Function (eGFR, Edema, Hyperuricemia)

TAURINE DIURETIC AND RENAL‐REVITALIZING EFFECTS IN NONAGENARIANS
Tadaomi A. Miyamoto MD, Tatsuko Fujita RN, Yoriko Wada MD, PhD, Masahide Nakai MD, Ayako Hazama MD
First published: 13 January 2011
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society -
Volume59, Issue1 January 2011 Pages 164-166
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03207.x
Error - Cookies Turned Off

"Long‐term oral taurine (OT 3 g/d) ameliorates CHF [congestive heart failure], so it was desired to determine whether OT (1.0 g three times per day) relieves edema without causing hypotension in nonagenarians. Forty‐nine residents of an extended‐care nursing home (20 taking antihypertensive therapy) who developed edema (score ≥2, Appendix A) despite hospital‐prescribed diuretics or excessive hypotension precluding effective diuretic usage were enrolled from March 1, 2007, to March 31, 2010."

"The remarkable effects of OT on edema were apparent within the first month of treatment (Figure 1A); decreases in body weight occurred with some delay. Required doses of diuretics decreased after institution of OT in the majority of residents."

"It is hypothesized that long‐term OT restored depleted IGF‐1, which changed prerenal creatinine production given its anabolic effects3 or, more likely, promoted renal regeneration and increase in functional renal units with greater creatinine excretion, decreasing creatinine levels and increasing eGFR effectively. Despite not having histopathological confirmation, these eGFR and uricosuric effects may make taurine the most promising nephroprotective medication."
jgs_3207_f1.gif

"(A) Effects of taurine are strongest on edema, significantly decreasing body weight. (B) Taurine increases albumin levels in patients with <3.8 g/dL at baseline. (C) Effects of taurine on renal function: Lower panel: taurine significantly increases estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) Stage 3 or greater when normalized to baseline values by the sixth month of treatment, and continues to improve significantly for up to 2.25 years. Upper panel: greater improvement of eGFR in residents with CKD Stage 3 or greater compared that in those with CKD Stage 2 of less (two‐way analysis of variance P<.001) reaches significance after 3 years of treatment (Bonferroni***). (D) Taurine decreases hyperuricemia greater than 8.6 mg/dL to normal levels in 3 to 6 months."
--------

Thought this was an interesting article given a forum member's successful use of taurine in improving kidney labs:

"I had tried 5g of taurine for maybe 2 and half weeks or until I seemed to hit a saturation point. I knew when I hit it when my stools started getting a little sludgy from excess bile. That was when I stopped taurine or any Bvitamins. I waited almost 3 weeks and my lab results were still the best I've ever seen. Since then I've mainly just tweak to find a good balance and have added other aminos.

Creatinine at 1.03
GFR at 92"
Kidney Disease

kaybb

This is good information ! I am upping my Taurine. Thank you

Ella

Forum Supporter
WOW @foodandtheworld, thank you, thank you for posting this study. It is the best news thus far in 2020. I have also started supplementing taurine but only 2g/day. I am going to up the dose and see what happens with my kidney markes and albumin. I am due to test at the end of January, so fingers crossed, I will surprise my endo in Feb. Fixing the kidneys and raising albumin gets rid of a whole lot of evil consequences. Best of all raises the klotho protein. Does anyone know any labs which is testing klotho?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
WOW @foodandtheworld, thank you, thank you for posting this study. It is the best news thus far in 2020. I have also started supplementing taurine but only 2g/day. I am going to up the dose and see what happens with my kidney markes and albumin. I am due to test at the end of January, so fingers crossed, I will surprise my endo in Feb. Fixing the kidneys and raising albumin gets rid of a whole lot of evil consequences. Best of all raises the klotho protein. Does anyone know any labs which is testing klotho?
Hi Ella, how did those tests go?

@foodandtheworld thank you for posting this study, incredible. :hattip

yerrag

Creatinine at 1.03
GFR at 92"
Good info and thanks for sharing.

Do you have a "before" value for GFR and creatinine?

Your creatinine can still be better. Your GFR looks good because the formula uses your age, and your being young makes your GFR high. I think if you plug in your age as say, 60, or even 80, your GFR will go down. Funny thing about these formulas - even if you were to maintain the same creatinine value from now till you're 90, you'll see your GFR continue to plummet as you grow gold. Go figure.

yerrag

I'm taking taurine at 3g per day. I find that it's better to take it in the daytime, from waking up till 6 pm. It makes me urinate more, so I don't want it to be disturbing my sleep. I put it in my drinking water, so the dose is spread over the day. It doesn't have a taste, so that helps. Also, I don't put it in hot water as I believe it destroys or inactivates it. This is why cat food that's cooked loses taurine, and needs taurine supplementation, as taurine is an essential amino acid for cats.

I urinate foamy and it's because of the albumin I excrete. I believe that taking taurine lessens the albumin being excreted, even though the urine remains foamy. Maybe it's because taurine is taking the place of albumin, and less albumin is being excreted. Lab tests I take (urne ACR, and serum albumin) in the near future will bear this out, or disprove it.

At night, though, I urinate with less foam than in the day when I take taurine this way.

Good to know also that taurine helps with edema. Since taurine is an osmolyte, it can increase the osmolarity of the extracellular fluid, and this would allow intracellular water to be diffused into the ecf, and this would help relieve an edematous condition.

Last edited:

yerrag

Good to know that it also relieves hyperuricemia. I have high uric acid, and I tested my urine excretion of it, and I found out that I excrete very low uric acid. I don't know why this is happening, but it may be that the body needs the uric acid and doesn't want to excrete it. Uric acid is an antioxidant, and it may be needed to counter the oxidative stress involved in a kidney having some bacterial-induced stresses. Since taurine is an antioxidant as well, it may be covering for some antioxidant needs that previously was being addressed by a high level of uric acid.

Vinny

TAURINE DIURETIC AND RENAL‐REVITALIZING EFFECTS IN NONAGENARIANS
Tadaomi A. Miyamoto MD, Tatsuko Fujita RN, Yoriko Wada MD, PhD, Masahide Nakai MD, Ayako Hazama MD
First published: 13 January 2011
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society -
Volume59, Issue1 January 2011 Pages 164-166
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03207.x
Error - Cookies Turned Off

"Long‐term oral taurine (OT 3 g/d) ameliorates CHF [congestive heart failure], so it was desired to determine whether OT (1.0 g three times per day) relieves edema without causing hypotension in nonagenarians. Forty‐nine residents of an extended‐care nursing home (20 taking antihypertensive therapy) who developed edema (score ≥2, Appendix A) despite hospital‐prescribed diuretics or excessive hypotension precluding effective diuretic usage were enrolled from March 1, 2007, to March 31, 2010."

"The remarkable effects of OT on edema were apparent within the first month of treatment (Figure 1A); decreases in body weight occurred with some delay. Required doses of diuretics decreased after institution of OT in the majority of residents."

"It is hypothesized that long‐term OT restored depleted IGF‐1, which changed prerenal creatinine production given its anabolic effects3 or, more likely, promoted renal regeneration and increase in functional renal units with greater creatinine excretion, decreasing creatinine levels and increasing eGFR effectively. Despite not having histopathological confirmation, these eGFR and uricosuric effects may make taurine the most promising nephroprotective medication."
jgs_3207_f1.gif

"(A) Effects of taurine are strongest on edema, significantly decreasing body weight. (B) Taurine increases albumin levels in patients with <3.8 g/dL at baseline. (C) Effects of taurine on renal function: Lower panel: taurine significantly increases estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) Stage 3 or greater when normalized to baseline values by the sixth month of treatment, and continues to improve significantly for up to 2.25 years. Upper panel: greater improvement of eGFR in residents with CKD Stage 3 or greater compared that in those with CKD Stage 2 of less (two‐way analysis of variance P<.001) reaches significance after 3 years of treatment (Bonferroni***). (D) Taurine decreases hyperuricemia greater than 8.6 mg/dL to normal levels in 3 to 6 months."
--------

Thought this was an interesting article given a forum member's successful use of taurine in improving kidney labs:

"I had tried 5g of taurine for maybe 2 and half weeks or until I seemed to hit a saturation point. I knew when I hit it when my stools started getting a little sludgy from excess bile. That was when I stopped taurine or any Bvitamins. I waited almost 3 weeks and my lab results were still the best I've ever seen. Since then I've mainly just tweak to find a good balance and have added other aminos.

Creatinine at 1.03
GFR at 92"
Kidney Disease
Awesome!

Ella

Forum Supporter
Hi Ella, how did those tests go?

@foodandtheworld thank you for posting this study, incredible. :hattip

Hey @charlie, thanks for tagging me; reminding me to update. Life these days are filled with some pretty head spinning stuff, so you need to forgive my tardiness.
I am SOOO stoked with my results. I am not sure just how much taurine contributed as I did a few different things. Put it this way, taurine had no negative impact on kidney function.
Back in September 2019, I was devastated to learn my eGFR to be 57 ml/min/1.73m2. That's heading into stage 3 kidney failure. It says so on my medical file and referral to the endocrinologist and hospital.
It has been bugging me for some time, whether animal protein and cholesterol are beneficial or not in the case of reduced kidney function. I thought, perfect time to test the theory. My cholesterol had dropped from 5.1 to a low of 4.5. Another red flag that I was headed into dangerous territory. Albumin in September 2019 was also shockingly low at 29. @yerrag, your albumin looks healthy in comparison to mine. All I can say is, my health was in a sad and sorry state.

The following is what I changed in my diet and supplemented leading up to my January 2020 results:
6 grams of taurine
2 raw egg yolks each morning in a milk shake to replace loss of albumin. It was full-cream milk, cause I can't stick to reduced fat milk.
2 Pork sausages for breakfast to increase vitamin D
Pork sausages for lunch & dinner otherwise, beef or lamb with either grilled tomatoes or leafy green salad or non-starchy vegetables, sometimes 1/2 to two potatoes.
Hard boiled eggs with homemade mayo made with butter - no oils
Extra Vitamin D - 1000 units
Sardines for extra Vitamin D
Vitamin K2 - 180 microgram - 360 microgram. I am steadily increasing the dose.
Sunbathing for more Vitamin D
Progesterone massaged into kidney area. Sooths the inflammation beautifully
Pregnenolone 25 g
T4 50 ug
T3 nibble at each meal and bedtime
Lots of spring water to keep the kidneys and bladder flushing - no coffee and no teas
Limited amount of Aloe Vera & grape juice

Results on 21 January 2020:
eGFR 80
Total cholesterol jumped from 4.5 to 5.6 and LDL skyrocketed to >3 - obviously a hyper responder.
My normal GP was sick and I saw another Dr for these results. She said my cholesterol was good back in September and I should do what I was doing back then. My cholesterol was too high now. I informed her that I was nearly dead back in sept with stage 3 kidney failure. Obviously, the increase in raw eggs and meat consumption plus taurine made a significant improvement in my kidney function. She advised me, animal meats should be restricted to 3 x a week and the rest of the week I should consume lentils & other non-heme protein. This is precisely what I did, restricted my red meat consumption and ate more lentils, potatoes, fruit, milk and gelatin.
I use to buy 1/2 a side of beef which would last my family 6 months. After reducing my red meat consumption, I lost a significant amount of weight. I was drinking full cream milk and fruit. My TSH just kept climbing but only now, is quickly coming down, despite the increase in phosphate and tryptophan.

My file states hypothyroidism has now been resolved. Was not going to tell her that it was due to the increase in supplemental T3 - she would have had a fit. The endocrinologist told me, this is what happens sometimes - thyroid corrects itself on its own. Yeah sure, didn't happen with me. Shouldn't we be telling them the truth. I certainly am not game since my last GP sacked me. They just don't like it when you make medical decisions for yourself. I wish we could have an honest relationship, instead of being deceitful and cheating behind their back. I am trying real hard not to upset my current GP - she has been great, even though I can't tell her the truth.

12 February 2020, I saw my usual GP. she wanted me to do a urine sample to check for infection. It was impossible to produce any urine. I must have drank 4 litres of water trying to pee and not a drop. It was so stressful. Last year, the complete opposite, I was peeing constantly, making it impossible to travel. I fair dinkum bought incontinence pants, but could not bring myself to pee in them. I was so desperate for sleep, I figured I would just pee in them and not have to get up to go to the toilet. Still with those horrible diaphers, I would get up to go to the toilet every hour. Finally, after 2 hours of drinking all that water, I managed to produce a urine sample. When she tested it, she said, I'm sorry but you need to go straight to hospital. She told me my ketones were off the chart and I was experiencing ketoacidosis. Other than not being able to pee, I felt quite fine. Surely, if I was experiencing ketoacidosis I would be feeling ill. No pain in my kidneys, perfectly calm until I heard ketoacidosis and then I just broke down. I was overwhelmed with absolute terror. She told me to go straight to hospital but I had things to organise, so I didn't get to the hospital until 11pm that night - 12 hours after she told me to go. So much for a medical emergency.

I was monitored throughout the night. My blood ketones were 0.1mmol/l on arrival and got to as high as 0.4 fasting overnight. Dr explained to me that even ketones as high as 1.0mmol/l is perfectly normal. I told the dr, those ketogenic diet gurus advocate keeping ketones around 1.5 and ketoacidosis does not occur until over 10mmols. Dr then thought I was following this fad ketogenic diet. I told him not intentionally but then in hindsight I recall Stephen Phinney saying it take 6 weeks to become keto adapted. Then recently, Paul Mason stated it can take athletes > 8 months and that ketones produced while unadapted are not able to be used for fuel and quickly excreted by the kidneys.

Measuring ketones in the urine is very different to measuring ketones in serum. My GP needs to know this. So, I had increased my fat consumption, decreased my carb/sugar consumption and producing ketones which my body was not adapted to use as fuel. These ketones ended up being excreted in massive amounts in my urine. My poor dr, freaked when she tested my urine. She did the right thing though, sending me to hospital. It was a great learning experience and the hospital stay helped in other ways.

Now for the good news. In hospital my bloods were taken. Just general chemistry and kidney function, nothing fancy.

WOW, my eGFR result was >90. Could it be that easy to improve kidney function in just 5 months?

Ella

Forum Supporter
Just in case, people think I am advocating a carnivore or ketogenic diet - I'm not. I have more to say but enough for tonight.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
WOW, my eGFR result was >90. Could it be that easy to improve kidney function in just 5 months?
Incredible. Thank you so much for the update. It is amazing how fast and well the body can heal.

yerrag

Thanks for sharing Ella. I had to back read to realize you weren't eating much carbs, and for that you experienced ketoacidosis. Yet, you were able to experience a big jump in eGFR, by essentially eating a lot of egg yolks (but I would think it would be egg whites that contain albumin though) and protein- both animal and plants, as well as taurine, gelatin, and vitamins and steroidsa and hormones.

Your serum albumin was definitely very low at 29, and I imagine that it would have gone up as well. And your serum creatinine, am I right to assume it also went down significantly? Yet during this time you didn't feel much of a pain in your kidneys, despite your low eGFR at 57. My eGFR is around 60 myself, and I don't feel any pain either, even though I'd consider my case to be CKD stage 1.

I'm just skeptical though of these eGFR values and how they are used to determine kidney health. One is that eGFR is determined by a formula that's based on age and on serum creatinine. I don't really know how the many eGFR formulas are determined, but they aren't as deterministic as much as they're based on probabilistic models. This means they could approximate closely to a certain percentage of the population high enough to give the formulas some semblance of validity. In this way, it is no better than a rule of thumb, a device used to give a fairly reasonable approximation.

Since your age will not vary so quickly, it is the change in serum creatinine that really determines what your eGFR is. If that is the case, I'd be curious to find out what would make the serum creatinine change. Was it because the kidney was rejuvenated somehow that it began to filter at such a high rate, from 57 to 90 in a span of 5 months? Or was it not so much kidney related as much as serum related?

Is it possible that your blood volume increased as a result of increased albumin in your blood? Assuming the entire creatinine store in your blood stayed constant, but your blood volume increased, wouldn't serum creatinine (which is defined as mass of creatinine over volume of blood) decrease as a result of blood volume increasing? This is something I ask myself, as I don't have good creatinine values (staying constantly around 1.1) and that puts me in chronic kidney disease territory.

My own project now on myself is to increase serum albumin, which has been hard to do (as there are bacterial issues in my blood vessels involved that I'm trying to overcome), but once I get a good handle on it, I can see my serum albumin increase, and along with that my blood volume will increase. When that happens, my creatinine levels will have no way to go but down, and my eGFR will increase as well. Since my urine will excrete much less albumin, both my eGFR and my urine ACR (albumin/creatinine ratio) will proclaim that my kidneys are healthy once again - without so much as me doing anything to improve my kidneys.

I take that back. Maybe in the process of successfully increasing my serum albumin, I would already simultaneously be doing something that's improving my kidney health, seeing how interrelated the systems and parts of our body really is.

Ella

Forum Supporter
@charlie, that's what I thought. Could it be that easy? Would really love to know how klotho protein changed over the same period.

Vinny

Hey @charlie, thanks for tagging me; reminding me to update. Life these days are filled with some pretty head spinning stuff, so you need to forgive my tardiness.
I am SOOO stoked with my results. I am not sure just how much taurine contributed as I did a few different things. Put it this way, taurine had no negative impact on kidney function.
Back in September 2019, I was devastated to learn my eGFR to be 57 ml/min/1.73m2. That's heading into stage 3 kidney failure. It says so on my medical file and referral to the endocrinologist and hospital.
It has been bugging me for some time, whether animal protein and cholesterol are beneficial or not in the case of reduced kidney function. I thought, perfect time to test the theory. My cholesterol had dropped from 5.1 to a low of 4.5. Another red flag that I was headed into dangerous territory. Albumin in September 2019 was also shockingly low at 29. @yerrag, your albumin looks healthy in comparison to mine. All I can say is, my health was in a sad and sorry state.

The following is what I changed in my diet and supplemented leading up to my January 2020 results:
6 grams of taurine
2 raw egg yolks each morning in a milk shake to replace loss of albumin. It was full-cream milk, cause I can't stick to reduced fat milk.
2 Pork sausages for breakfast to increase vitamin D
Pork sausages for lunch & dinner otherwise, beef or lamb with either grilled tomatoes or leafy green salad or non-starchy vegetables, sometimes 1/2 to two potatoes.
Hard boiled eggs with homemade mayo made with butter - no oils
Extra Vitamin D - 1000 units
Sardines for extra Vitamin D
Vitamin K2 - 180 microgram - 360 microgram. I am steadily increasing the dose.
Sunbathing for more Vitamin D
Progesterone massaged into kidney area. Sooths the inflammation beautifully
Pregnenolone 25 g
T4 50 ug
T3 nibble at each meal and bedtime
Lots of spring water to keep the kidneys and bladder flushing - no coffee and no teas
Limited amount of Aloe Vera & grape juice

Results on 21 January 2020:
eGFR 80
Total cholesterol jumped from 4.5 to 5.6 and LDL skyrocketed to >3 - obviously a hyper responder.
My normal GP was sick and I saw another Dr for these results. She said my cholesterol was good back in September and I should do what I was doing back then. My cholesterol was too high now. I informed her that I was nearly dead back in sept with stage 3 kidney failure. Obviously, the increase in raw eggs and meat consumption plus taurine made a significant improvement in my kidney function. She advised me, animal meats should be restricted to 3 x a week and the rest of the week I should consume lentils & other non-heme protein. This is precisely what I did, restricted my red meat consumption and ate more lentils, potatoes, fruit, milk and gelatin.
I use to buy 1/2 a side of beef which would last my family 6 months. After reducing my red meat consumption, I lost a significant amount of weight. I was drinking full cream milk and fruit. My TSH just kept climbing but only now, is quickly coming down, despite the increase in phosphate and tryptophan.

My file states hypothyroidism has now been resolved. Was not going to tell her that it was due to the increase in supplemental T3 - she would have had a fit. The endocrinologist told me, this is what happens sometimes - thyroid corrects itself on its own. Yeah sure, didn't happen with me. Shouldn't we be telling them the truth. I certainly am not game since my last GP sacked me. They just don't like it when you make medical decisions for yourself. I wish we could have an honest relationship, instead of being deceitful and cheating behind their back. I am trying real hard not to upset my current GP - she has been great, even though I can't tell her the truth.

12 February 2020, I saw my usual GP. she wanted me to do a urine sample to check for infection. It was impossible to produce any urine. I must have drank 4 litres of water trying to pee and not a drop. It was so stressful. Last year, the complete opposite, I was peeing constantly, making it impossible to travel. I fair dinkum bought incontinence pants, but could not bring myself to pee in them. I was so desperate for sleep, I figured I would just pee in them and not have to get up to go to the toilet. Still with those horrible diaphers, I would get up to go to the toilet every hour. Finally, after 2 hours of drinking all that water, I managed to produce a urine sample. When she tested it, she said, I'm sorry but you need to go straight to hospital. She told me my ketones were off the chart and I was experiencing ketoacidosis. Other than not being able to pee, I felt quite fine. Surely, if I was experiencing ketoacidosis I would be feeling ill. No pain in my kidneys, perfectly calm until I heard ketoacidosis and then I just broke down. I was overwhelmed with absolute terror. She told me to go straight to hospital but I had things to organise, so I didn't get to the hospital until 11pm that night - 12 hours after she told me to go. So much for a medical emergency.

I was monitored throughout the night. My blood ketones were 0.1mmol/l on arrival and got to as high as 0.4 fasting overnight. Dr explained to me that even ketones as high as 1.0mmol/l is perfectly normal. I told the dr, those ketogenic diet gurus advocate keeping ketones around 1.5 and ketoacidosis does not occur until over 10mmols. Dr then thought I was following this fad ketogenic diet. I told him not intentionally but then in hindsight I recall Stephen Phinney saying it take 6 weeks to become keto adapted. Then recently, Paul Mason stated it can take athletes > 8 months and that ketones produced while unadapted are not able to be used for fuel and quickly excreted by the kidneys.

Measuring ketones in the urine is very different to measuring ketones in serum. My GP needs to know this. So, I had increased my fat consumption, decreased my carb/sugar consumption and producing ketones which my body was not adapted to use as fuel. These ketones ended up being excreted in massive amounts in my urine. My poor dr, freaked when she tested my urine. She did the right thing though, sending me to hospital. It was a great learning experience and the hospital stay helped in other ways.

Now for the good news. In hospital my bloods were taken. Just general chemistry and kidney function, nothing fancy.

Amazing, Ella!
One question only: Pregnenolone ..... 25 grams?! Misspell, yes?

Ella

Forum Supporter
Amazing, Ella!
One question only: Pregnenolone ..... 25 grams?! Misspell, yes?

Hey @Vinny No wonder I'm feeling so awesome!! Only kidding, yes it is a misspell. Thanks for picking up - 25 mg is the dose I'm taking.

@yerrag, I will response as soon as I'm able. I have other kidney markers which follow the same direction as the eGFR. However, much slower to respond. Overall a positive trend in all markers.

But quickly, I was having the complete raw egg including the eggwhite. Not only to increase the albumin but for its antibacterial properties. I was not too concerned about depleting biotin.

@Amazoniac, thanks for adding this quote.

I think the low level of vitamin D and calcium is probably the cause of the sick liver and kidneys rather than being a product. So supplementing just with calcium and vitamin D I think in many cases will correct whatever the liver and kidney problem is. It isn't a matter of curing the disease so that they can make or activate vitamin D. It's a matter of getting the vitamin D and calcium into the system, and maybe, you don't need to think about the disease of the kidney and liver as having some other mysterious cause, such as a virus.
Ray Peat, KMUD - Vitamin D

I listened to a recent Holick video where he explains vitamin D3 has independent benefits to 25-form and 1.25-active form. Much to learn still.

I have been struggling in getting my vitamin D levels to optimal levels since 2012. This is a common problem in fat people. At the time my fat % was 50%. Scary I know, but things can get a whole lot more scarer as I found out when the weight comes off. My Vitamin D level in November 2019, when I was the sickliest in my life; Vitamin D was 66 nmol/L not too shabby for a springtime result. D levels should be at least 50 nmol/L at the end of winter, which means levels can g0 10 – 20 nmol/L higher during summer (60-70 nmol/L).
My result in January 2020 - 4 months later decreased to 59 nmol/L, even though I was doing all I could to boost my D levels.

Still I m not complaining, because it is still the best result ever in my life. I put it down to the weight loss. Less fat% better utilisation of Vitamin D. More vitamin D stronger muscles and bones, stronger immunity +++++. Vitamin D + progesterone I think is the sweet spot. As Dr Peat says progesterone should not be viewed as a pregnancy hormone, both men and women need progesterone and the brain requires 10 x more progesterone than any other tissue.

I know this thread is about taurine but if we are talking about kidneys then my go to molecules are going to be first and foremost progesterone plus Vitamin D together. I don't ever want to be in such a weakened state AGAIN!!! Especially going into my senior years.

Taurine has its place and if it improves protein utilisation without having to eat a high protein diet, then its a stayer for me. I love my lamb and roast pork but I need more convincing that carnivore or keto is right for me. If it takes > 8 months for athletes to be keto-adapted, then I don't think my sedentary body is going to take too kindly to using ketones as fuel. At this point in time, I need to rebuild lean muscle tissue and see how well I am able to metabolise glucose in an anabolic state.

Vinny

Hey @Vinny No wonder I'm feeling so awesome!! Only kidding, yes it is a misspell. Thanks for picking up - 25 mg is the dose I'm taking.

@yerrag, I will response as soon as I'm able. I have other kidney markers which follow the same direction as the eGFR. However, much slower to respond. Overall a positive trend in all markers.

But quickly, I was having the complete raw egg including the eggwhite. Not only to increase the albumin but for its antibacterial properties. I was not too concerned about depleting biotin.
Ella, one more question:
From where we know that raw eggs have antibacterial effect? Are there any studies showing it or only anecdotes? And how many per day are needed for a good outcome?
Thanks

yerrag

Looking forward to your sharing on the use of these markers to monitor the progression of your recovery Ella!

Mary Pruter

My husband in in a very good university hospital. He finally felt so horrible that he decided to. He is in end stage 4 of cirrhosis of the liver. They have stated that his kidneys are so bad that they cannot tap the abdomen to remove the fluid. The fluid is not in a pocket or bubble but all over. He has stopped eating mostly. He will have about 4-6 bites of food every other day. He has only gone into the hospital yesterday morning in Hope's that draining the abdomen and doing blood transfusions may stop this. A friends mother had this done 10 years ago, even lost a kidney, didn't need a liver transplant and she's made a complete turn around and has been fine. They have given some meds to my husband to "perk up" his kidneys a little to help him relieve some fluid. They gave him a strong laxative and he had many BM's throughout the night. As a result he's feeling much better. However they say that his kidneys are so bad that they are going to send him home tomorrow in hospice care to live out the rest of his life days to maybe 3 weeks. He hasn't wanted any alchohol for 5 days now. Please! Tell me if there is anything that could bring his kidneys back. His urine was coffee colored but I gave him baking soda and salt and also gave him Braggs ACV which turned his urine yellow again and took away his back pain.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
My husband in in a very good university hospital. He finally felt so horrible that he decided to. He is in end stage 4 of cirrhosis of the liver. They have stated that his kidneys are so bad that they cannot tap the abdomen to remove the fluid. The fluid is not in a pocket or bubble but all over. He has stopped eating mostly. He will have about 4-6 bites of food every other day. He has only gone into the hospital yesterday morning in Hope's that draining the abdomen and doing blood transfusions may stop this. A friends mother had this done 10 years ago, even lost a kidney, didn't need a liver transplant and she's made a complete turn around and has been fine. They have given some meds to my husband to "perk up" his kidneys a little to help him relieve some fluid. They gave him a strong laxative and he had many BM's throughout the night. As a result he's feeling much better. However they say that his kidneys are so bad that they are going to send him home tomorrow in hospice care to live out the rest of his life days to maybe 3 weeks. He hasn't wanted any alchohol for 5 days now. Please! Tell me if there is anything that could bring his kidneys back. His urine was coffee colored but I gave him baking soda and salt and also gave him Braggs ACV which turned his urine yellow again and took away his back pain.

This is not medical advice. But from a TCM perspective, Cordyceps is used for restoring kidney function.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals