haidut

Forum Supporter
It seems modern medicine is slowly starting to recognize the role of energy in organ health, and more specifically the role of NAD/NADH ratio in variety of diseases long thought to be mostly mechanism in origin. A few months ago, I posted a study on raising NAD levels with nicotinamide riboside (NR) as a method of reversing colon aging and various colon pathologies. Inosine has also been shown to raise the NAD/NADH ratio and reverse various pathologies in organs such as the heart and GI tract.
Colon Aging / Cancer? Due To Low NAD / High Serotonin; Niacinamide Reverses Both
Inosine Powerfully Stimulates Mitochondriogenesis, Oxidative Metabolism & Cell Differentiation

The study below shows that the NAD/NADH ratio plays a crucial role in kidney failure as well. More importantly, the results from the animal experiment were replicated in humans too. The dosing regimen was either 1g or 3g niacinamide for 3 days. Both doses had the same effect on lowering creatinine levels (a biomarker of AKI) even though the 3g dose was likely better at raising NAD levels. This is great news because AKI is very common in hospitalized patients regardless of their condition and is one of the leading causes of death in hospitals. Niacinamide was not only strongly therapeutic but had no side effects, even in people undergoing cardiac surgery who already have very compromised health.
While the study attributes the beneficial effects of niacinamide to elevations of NAD levels, I think the FFA-lowering effects of niacinamide also play a big role. Peat repeatedly told people over email that elevated FFA (especially if they are PUFA) play a major role in kidney and pancreas failure, and another anti-lipolytic drug similar to niacinamide (Acipimox) has also been shown to protect against kidney failure. Given that Acipimox is not an NAD precursor, the role of FFA in kidney failure seems beyond reasonable doubt.

@aguilaroja

De novo NAD<sup>+</sup> biosynthetic impairment in acute kidney injury in humans
"...NAM administration was not associated with increased adverse events compared to placebo. Serious adverse events were uncommon, were distributed evenly across the study arms, and were independently adjudicated to be unrelated to study participation (Table 2). Given that either NAM treatment arm yielded significant higher exposure to NAM than the placebo arm, the comparable safety of either NAM dose to placebo, and the comparable effect on sCr of either NAM dose, we also combined the two NAM arms into one treatment group. One of the safety assessments evaluated whether NAM increased perioperative cardiac injury. NAM treatment was associated with lower blood levels of the cardiac injury marker troponin T compared to placebo (Fig. 4g,h). In a second safety assessment, we examined renal function because cardiac surgery increases AKI risk. NAM was associated with better estimated renal function compared to placebo (Fig. 4i,j). AKI events were significantly lower with NAM treatment than placebo (Supplementary Table 11 and Supplementary Fig. 7). Taken together, short-term NAM administration increased NAM levels and appeared to be well tolerated by cardiac surgery patients. Safety assessments linked NAM administration to lower AKI risk."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-vitamin-b3-acute-kidney-injury.html
"...Parikh and colleagues discovered that levels of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) - the end result of vitamin B3 after it is ingested—declines in cases of acute kidney injury. "We were able to detect a drop in NAD+ in the urine of high-risk patients who were either in an intensive care unit or undergoing a major surgery and found that oral vitamin B3 could safely elevate NAD+ in high-risk patients," said Parikh, who is also an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. "These findings are very early, but the results suggest that we could one day have a non-invasive test for NAD+ status and perhaps even treat acute kidney injury by boosting NAD+ levels.""

"...Our results suggest that NAD+ biosynthesis becomes impaired during human acute kidney injury and that augmenting vitamin B3 levels may be safe and potentially beneficial to patients." said Kamal Khabbaz, MD, Chief of Cardiac Surgery at the CardioVascular Institute at BIDMC, who co-led the clinical trial. "What's more, we showed that urinary measurements in at-risk patients can indicate this impairment and, furthermore, predict adverse outcomes. Restoring NAD+ could constitute and important advance for patients at risk for acute kidney injury, though further studies are needed to verify these findings."

Last edited:

Texon

It seems modern medicine is slowly starting to recognize the role of energy in organ health, and more specifically the role of NAD/NADH ratio in variety of diseases long thought to be mostly mechanism in origin. A few months ago, I posted a study on raising NAD levels with nicotinamide riboside (NR) as a method of reversing colon aging and various colon pathologies. Inosine has also been shown to raise the NAD/NADH ratio and reverse various pathologies in organs such as the heart and GI tract.
Colon Aging / Cancer? Due To Low NAD / High Serotonin; Niacinamide Reverses Both
Inosine Powerfully Stimulates Mitochondriogenesis, Oxidative Metabolism & Cell Differentiation

The study below shows that the NAD/NADH ratio plays a crucial role in kidney failure as well. More importantly, the results from the animal experiment were replicated in humans too. The dosing regimen was either 1g or 3g niacinamide for 3 days. Both doses had the same effect on lowering creatinine levels (a biomarker of AKI) even though the 3g dose was likely better at raising NAD levels. This is great news because AKI is very common in hospitalized patients regardless of their condition and is one of the leading causes of death in hospitals. Niacinamide was not only strongly therapeutic but had no side effects, even in people undergoing cardiac surgery who already have very compromised health.
While the study attributes the beneficial effects of niacinamide to elevations of NAD levels, I think the FFA-lowering effects of niacinamide also play a big role. Peat repeatedly told people over email that elevated FFA (especially if they are PUFA) play a major role in kidney and pancreas failure, and another anti-lipolytic drug similar to niacinamide (Acipimox) has also been shown to protect against kidney failure. Given that Acipimox is not an NAD precursor, the role of FFA in kidney failure seems beyond reasonable doubt.

@aguilaroja

De novo NAD<sup>+</sup> biosynthetic impairment in acute kidney injury in humans
"...NAM administration was not associated with increased adverse events compared to placebo. Serious adverse events were uncommon, were distributed evenly across the study arms, and were independently adjudicated to be unrelated to study participation (Table 2). Given that either NAM treatment arm yielded significant higher exposure to NAM than the placebo arm, the comparable safety of either NAM dose to placebo, and the comparable effect on sCr of either NAM dose, we also combined the two NAM arms into one treatment group. One of the safety assessments evaluated whether NAM increased perioperative cardiac injury. NAM treatment was associated with lower blood levels of the cardiac injury marker troponin T compared to placebo (Fig. 4g,h). In a second safety assessment, we examined renal function because cardiac surgery increases AKI risk. NAM was associated with better estimated renal function compared to placebo (Fig. 4i,j). AKI events were significantly lower with NAM treatment than placebo (Supplementary Table 11 and Supplementary Fig. 7). Taken together, short-term NAM administration increased NAM levels and appeared to be well tolerated by cardiac surgery patients. Safety assessments linked NAM administration to lower AKI risk."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-vitamin-b3-acute-kidney-injury.html
"...Parikh and colleagues discovered that levels of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) - the end result of vitamin B3 after it is ingested—declines in cases of acute kidney injury. "We were able to detect a drop in NAD+ in the urine of high-risk patients who were either in an intensive care unit or undergoing a major surgery and found that oral vitamin B3 could safely elevate NAD+ in high-risk patients," said Parikh, who is also an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. "These findings are very early, but the results suggest that we could one day have a non-invasive test for NAD+ status and perhaps even treat acute kidney injury by boosting NAD+ levels.""

"...Our results suggest that NAD+ biosynthesis becomes impaired during human acute kidney injury and that augmenting vitamin B3 levels may be safe and potentially beneficial to patients." said Kamal Khabbaz, MD, Chief of Cardiac Surgery at the CardioVascular Institute at BIDMC, who co-led the clinical trial. "What's more, we showed that urinary measurements in at-risk patients can indicate this impairment and, furthermore, predict adverse outcomes. Restoring NAD+ could constitute and important advance for patients at risk for acute kidney injury, though further studies are needed to verify these findings."

@benaoao @Travis Haidut I would love to take higher doses of niacinamide but whenever I have I feel weirdly drugged and even found it significantly raised my wbc in a blood test taken shortly after the briefly higher dosing. If I take it long enough, I start feeling gouty. I also deal with food and chemical sensitivities (developed later in life after exposure to general anesthesia I think) and heightened pain reactions due to some central defect I've never been able to pin down. Although I do think histamine and serotonin are in the equation somehow. Also I was in a car wreck years ago where I was knocked out for 5-10 minutes. Any ideas about how to calm everything down to regain core stability and strength without resorting to valium which has issues of its own? BTW I rarely take it, and when I do, I never need more than 1-2 mgs to get the desired effect.

Have you tried cyproheptadine? It's possibly one of the best thing I've ever tried for stress reduction( make sure your diet is ok before using it, since the purpose of this drug is to put the organism in a low stress situation where it can heal, and to do that, it's gonna need a lot of calories and nutrients). Things that lower stress can make you feel strange at first. Maybe your thyroid isn't at its best? Some people say that they have achy joints when their estrogen is very low, and niacinamide is an aromatase inhibitor. Maybe estrogen acts a less than ideal substitute to the protective hormones in a low metabolic situation.

Texon

Have you tried cyproheptadine? It's possibly one of the best thing I've ever tried for stress reduction( make sure your diet is ok before using it, since the purpose of this drug is to put the organism in a low stress situation where it can heal, and to do that, it's gonna need a lot of calories and nutrients). Things that lower stress can make you feel strange at first. Maybe your thyroid isn't at its best? Some people say that they have achy joints when their estrogen is very low, and niacinamide is an aromatase inhibitor. Maybe estrogen acts a less than ideal substitute to the protective hormones in a low metabolic situation.

@haidut @Rafael Lao Wai thanks for your reply. I have come to find that I am experiencing intermittent to increasing brain toxicity exacerbated by impaired cyp450...see link...https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3888527/...for the smoking gun. I took 2 doses of doxycycline a few weeks ago and thought I was losing my mind. I am at a loss as to what to do about the increasing brain symptoms but am glad I was able to link the severe doxy reaction to my bad mental state. I am thinking about hyperbaric oxygen or the niacin/sauna detox by Dr. Yu. Also homocysteine is an issue at levels between 11-14. I started IM 1000 mcgs hydroxocobalamin per week last week which can reduce homocysteine 33% in 8 weeks per PubMed study. Please reply if you guys have any thoughts about any of this.

Texon

@haidut @Rafael Lao Wai thanks for your reply. I have come to find that I am experiencing intermittent to increasing brain toxicity exacerbated by impaired cyp450...see link...https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3888527/...for the smoking gun. I took 2 doses of doxycycline a few weeks ago and thought I was losing my mind. I am at a loss as to what to do about the increasing brain symptoms but am glad I was able to link the severe doxy reaction to my bad mental state. I am thinking about hyperbaric oxygen or the niacin/sauna detox by Dr. Yu. Also homocysteine is an issue at levels between 11-14. I started IM 1000 mcgs hydroxocobalamin per week last week which can reduce homocysteine 33% in 8 weeks per PubMed study. Please reply if you guys have any thoughts about any of this.
Bump