haidut

Forum Supporter
The etiology of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) as an inflammatory disease is well-established even in mainstream medicine. However, the current treatments are downright barbaric and involve the potent suppression of the immune system to the point that the patient is at a constant risk of opportunistic infections and cancer. The role of endotoxin/estrogen in RA has been consistently ignored for more than 50 years (as Peat said), and if you mention using diet to treat/control RA to a rheumatologist you will probably get laughed out of the room and/or referred to a psychiatrist.
Well, the study below shows that the joke may very well be on the rheumatologists. A low dose baking soda shifted the immune response away from inflammation and the effect persisted for days even after a single dose. This beneficial effect was confirmed in humans, using a dose of only 2g baking soda daily. As the study found, the benefits of baking soda were linked to signalling the spleen to avoid mounting an overly aggressive response, and this effect transfer over to RA symptoms as well. Given that a dietary ingredient controlled the immune/inflammatory reaction by the spleen, it makes me wonder if the spleen "overreacts" against other more "benign" events...say a meal with excess PUFA, and if this "overreaction" is also involved in other autoimmune symptom flares people report so often after eating specific food (e.g. dietary triggers). Either way, if baking soda can treat a disease that has eluded cure or safe induction of remission for more than a century then it speaks volumes about the competence of the whitecoats. Maybe I should send the study to the lobbying HQ of the American College of Rheumatology (ACR), which is less than 4 block from my office :):
Oh, and one more thing. According to the study, the same protective, anti-inflammatory effects of baking soda could apply to chronic kidney disease (CKD), and possibly all other inflammatory conditions since the anti-inflammatory response was seen everywhere and not just in specific organs.

Oral NaHCO3 Activates a Splenic Anti-Inflammatory Pathway: Evidence That Cholinergic Signals Are Transmitted via Mesothelial Cells
"...To determine whether oral NaHCO3 had a similar antiinflammatory action in humans as we found in rats, we evaluated blood samples at baseline and 1, 2, and 3 h following ingestion of a single dose (2 g) of NaHCO3 (n = 11) or equimolar NaCl (n = 6), each dissolved in 250 ml of bottled water. Pre- and posttreatment values of serum electrolytes are presented in Table III. There was a significant group by time interaction for changes in serum potassium (p = 0.029, h2 P = 0.279). Specifically, serum potassium decreased with NaHCO3 treatment (p = 0.008), but there was no change with NaCl treatment (p = 0.381). BMI and C-reactive protein levels were not significantly different at baseline between either group, indicating a similar baseline inflammatory state (Table IV). No other significant differences were observed between TXT groups at baseline in any variables tested (Table IV). Baseline flow cytometry values of all subjects, before ingesting NaHCO3 or NaCl in solution, are presented in Table IV. Prior to any treatment, the percentages of blood leukocytes that were TNFa+ neutrophils, M1 macrophages, or M2 macrophages were all significantly higher in the NaHCO3 TXT group when compared with baseline values obtained in the NaCl TXT group (Table IV). There was a significant TREATMENT 3 TIME effect on both M1 macrophages (p = 0.0004) and TNF-a–positive neutrophils (p = 0.0146), with the levels of these inflammatory cells in the plasma being reduced to a significantly greater degree following ingestion of NaHCO3 when compared with NaCl (Fig. 3). The greatest decreases in blood inflammatory cells were observed at 2 and 3 h following NaHCO3 ingestion. Similar to our observations in rats, oral NaHCO3 ingestion increased the percentage of blood leukocytes identified by flow cytometry as M2 macrophages (p = 0.00165) (Fig. 3). Decreases in inflammatory TNFa+ neutrophils and M1 macrophages in the NaHCO3 TXT group did not appear to be related to the differing baseline levels observed between TXT groups. When comparing individual responses between subjects of different groups, subjects with similar baseline levels of blood leukocytes responded differently if they received NaHCO3 compared with NaCl (Supplemental Fig. 1)...To our knowledge, these data are the first demonstration that orally ingested NaHCO3 can promote a powerful anti-inflammatory response in both rats and humans."

Drinking baking soda could be an inexpensive, safe way to combat autoimmune disease
"...A daily dose of baking soda may help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, scientists say. They have some of the first evidence of how the cheap, over-the-counter antacid can encourage our spleen to promote instead an anti-inflammatory environment that could be therapeutic in the face of inflammatory disease, Medical College of Georgia scientists report in the Journal of Immunology. They have shown that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, it becomes a trigger for the stomach to make more acid to digest the next meal and for little-studied mesothelial cells sitting on the spleen to tell the fist-sized organ that there's no need to mount a protective immune response. "It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author."

"..."We started thinking, how does baking soda slow progression of kidney disease?" O'Connor says. That's when the anti-inflammatory impact began to unfold as they saw reduced numbers of M1s and increased M2s in their kidney disease model after consuming the common compound. When they looked at a rat model without actual kidney damage, they saw the same response. So the basic scientists worked with the investigators at MCG's Georgia Prevention Institute to bring in healthy medical students who drank baking soda in a bottle of water and also had a similar response. "The shift from inflammatory to an anti-inflammatory profile is happening everywhere," O'Connor says. "We saw it in the kidneys, we saw it in the spleen, now we see it in the peripheral blood."

"...The shifting landscape, he says, is likely due to increased conversion of some of the proinflammatory cells to anti-inflammatory ones coupled with actual production of more anti-inflammatory macrophages. The scientists also saw a shift in other immune cell types, like more regulatory T cells, which generally drive down the immune response and help keep the immune system from attacking our own tissues. That anti-inflammatory shift was sustained for at least four hours in humans and three days in rats."

griesburner

wow that sounds very interesting, thanks. next week i will see my rheumatology doc again and had planned to talk with him about more alternative treatments and what he thinks about it. I also print the studys i found myself and confront him with the evidence.

one question; Do you think it matters if the baking soda is ingested on its own on an empty stomach to send this anti-inflammatory signal, or does it work the same when mixed for example with lemon juice after it reacted with it?

Wagner83

Would that be an issue if taken hours away from meals? I'd hope that once it's absorbed the stomach acids get going again soon enough.

EIRE24

Guru, do you think there are risks in decreasing the acidity of the stomach often with chronic bicarbonate supplementation? After all, it's one of the first lines of defense.
Also the first thing that popped into my head when I read this.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
wow that sounds very interesting, thanks. next week i will see my rheumatology doc again and had planned to talk with him about more alternative treatments and what he thinks about it. I also print the studys i found myself and confront him with the evidence.

one question; Do you think it matters if the baking soda is ingested on its own on an empty stomach to send this anti-inflammatory signal, or does it work the same when mixed for example with lemon juice after it reacted with it?

I don't think it matters, the human subjects in the study were not asked to do it on empty or full stomach.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Guru, do you think there are risks in decreasing the acidity of the stomach often with chronic bicarbonate supplementation? After all, it's one of the first lines of defense.

I think the study says the baking soda triggered more acid production afterwards, as a compensating mechanism. So, this may explain why baking soda and older antiacitd with calcium bicarbonate had the best long term effects on digestion compared to H2 antagonist and PPI drugs. User @aguilaroja mentioned this a few times.

burtlancast

Interesting. But many people cannot tolerate bicarbonate. Maybe toegether with Vit C, like Linus Pauling used to drink daily (15 gr)?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Interesting. But many people cannot tolerate bicarbonate. Maybe toegether with Vit C, like Linus Pauling used to drink daily (15 gr)?

That, and adding to orange juice is another very palatable method.

Amazoniac

I think the study says the baking soda triggered more acid production afterwards, as a compensating mechanism. So, this may explain why baking soda and older antiacitd with calcium bicarbonate had the best long term effects on digestion compared to H2 antagonist and PPI drugs. User @aguilaroja mentioned this a few times.
That's interesting, but the concerning part is the gap when it's decreased.
burtlan, it's also possible that those who don't tolerate don't need it. Since you mentioned elsewhere feeling great on magnesium chlorid, you can be one of them.
If the person lets the gas escape, it's basically a repletion of vit C and sodium.

sladerunner69

The etiology of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) as an inflammatory disease is well-established even in mainstream medicine. However, the current treatments are downright barbaric and involve the potent suppression of the immune system to the point that the patient is at a constant risk of opportunistic infections and cancer. The role of endotoxin/estrogen in RA has been consistently ignored for more than 50 years (as Peat said), and if you mention using diet to treat/control RA to a rheumatologist you will probably get laughed out of the room and/or referred to a psychiatrist.
Well, the study below shows that the joke may very well be on the rheumatologists. A low dose baking soda shifted the immune response away from inflammation and the effect persisted for days even after a single dose. This beneficial effect was confirmed in humans, using a dose of only 2g baking soda daily. As the study found, the benefits of baking soda were linked to signalling the spleen to avoid mounting an overly aggressive response, and this effect transfer over to RA symptoms as well. Given that a dietary ingredient controlled the immune/inflammatory reaction by the spleen, it makes me wonder if the spleen "overreacts" against other more "benign" events...say a meal with excess PUFA, and if this "overreaction" is also involved in other autoimmune symptom flares people report so often after eating specific food (e.g. dietary triggers). Either way, if baking soda can treat a disease that has eluded cure or safe induction of remission for more than a century then it speaks volumes about the competence of the whitecoats. Maybe I should send the study to the lobbying HQ of the American College of Rheumatology (ACR), which is less than 4 block from my office :):
Oh, and one more thing. According to the study, the same protective, anti-inflammatory effects of baking soda could apply to chronic kidney disease (CKD), and possibly all other inflammatory conditions since the anti-inflammatory response was seen everywhere and not just in specific organs.

Oral NaHCO3 Activates a Splenic Anti-Inflammatory Pathway: Evidence That Cholinergic Signals Are Transmitted via Mesothelial Cells
"...To determine whether oral NaHCO3 had a similar antiinflammatory action in humans as we found in rats, we evaluated blood samples at baseline and 1, 2, and 3 h following ingestion of a single dose (2 g) of NaHCO3 (n = 11) or equimolar NaCl (n = 6), each dissolved in 250 ml of bottled water. Pre- and posttreatment values of serum electrolytes are presented in Table III. There was a significant group by time interaction for changes in serum potassium (p = 0.029, h2 P = 0.279). Specifically, serum potassium decreased with NaHCO3 treatment (p = 0.008), but there was no change with NaCl treatment (p = 0.381). BMI and C-reactive protein levels were not significantly different at baseline between either group, indicating a similar baseline inflammatory state (Table IV). No other significant differences were observed between TXT groups at baseline in any variables tested (Table IV). Baseline flow cytometry values of all subjects, before ingesting NaHCO3 or NaCl in solution, are presented in Table IV. Prior to any treatment, the percentages of blood leukocytes that were TNFa+ neutrophils, M1 macrophages, or M2 macrophages were all significantly higher in the NaHCO3 TXT group when compared with baseline values obtained in the NaCl TXT group (Table IV). There was a significant TREATMENT 3 TIME effect on both M1 macrophages (p = 0.0004) and TNF-a–positive neutrophils (p = 0.0146), with the levels of these inflammatory cells in the plasma being reduced to a significantly greater degree following ingestion of NaHCO3 when compared with NaCl (Fig. 3). The greatest decreases in blood inflammatory cells were observed at 2 and 3 h following NaHCO3 ingestion. Similar to our observations in rats, oral NaHCO3 ingestion increased the percentage of blood leukocytes identified by flow cytometry as M2 macrophages (p = 0.00165) (Fig. 3). Decreases in inflammatory TNFa+ neutrophils and M1 macrophages in the NaHCO3 TXT group did not appear to be related to the differing baseline levels observed between TXT groups. When comparing individual responses between subjects of different groups, subjects with similar baseline levels of blood leukocytes responded differently if they received NaHCO3 compared with NaCl (Supplemental Fig. 1)...To our knowledge, these data are the first demonstration that orally ingested NaHCO3 can promote a powerful anti-inflammatory response in both rats and humans."

Drinking baking soda could be an inexpensive, safe way to combat autoimmune disease
"...A daily dose of baking soda may help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, scientists say. They have some of the first evidence of how the cheap, over-the-counter antacid can encourage our spleen to promote instead an anti-inflammatory environment that could be therapeutic in the face of inflammatory disease, Medical College of Georgia scientists report in the Journal of Immunology. They have shown that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, it becomes a trigger for the stomach to make more acid to digest the next meal and for little-studied mesothelial cells sitting on the spleen to tell the fist-sized organ that there's no need to mount a protective immune response. "It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author."

"..."We started thinking, how does baking soda slow progression of kidney disease?" O'Connor says. That's when the anti-inflammatory impact began to unfold as they saw reduced numbers of M1s and increased M2s in their kidney disease model after consuming the common compound. When they looked at a rat model without actual kidney damage, they saw the same response. So the basic scientists worked with the investigators at MCG's Georgia Prevention Institute to bring in healthy medical students who drank baking soda in a bottle of water and also had a similar response. "The shift from inflammatory to an anti-inflammatory profile is happening everywhere," O'Connor says. "We saw it in the kidneys, we saw it in the spleen, now we see it in the peripheral blood."

"...The shifting landscape, he says, is likely due to increased conversion of some of the proinflammatory cells to anti-inflammatory ones coupled with actual production of more anti-inflammatory macrophages. The scientists also saw a shift in other immune cell types, like more regulatory T cells, which generally drive down the immune response and help keep the immune system from attacking our own tissues. That anti-inflammatory shift was sustained for at least four hours in humans and three days in rats."

I like adding baking soda to my orange juice but am concerned I may be adding too much. It is basically pure salt, and the serving size is 1/8 teaspoon and I regularly add a heaping full teaspoon to my OJ to get it nice and fizzy. I think at the end of the day I am probably at least double the RDA for sodium, do you think this could be a problem? I know that Peat recommends salt and calcium because they work together to raise the metabolism but has he ever warned against consuming too much salt?

Tenacity

I like adding baking soda to my orange juice but am concerned I may be adding too much. It is basically pure salt, and the serving size is 1/8 teaspoon and I regularly add a heaping full teaspoon to my OJ to get it nice and fizzy. I think at the end of the day I am probably at least double the RDA for sodium, do you think this could be a problem? I know that Peat recommends salt and calcium because they work together to raise the metabolism but has he ever warned against consuming too much salt?
Double the RDA is less than 5g, right? I think I've read in a couple of Haidut's threads that the 'optimal amount' is around that much.

Optimal Sodium Intake Is At Least 230% Higher Than RDA
More Dietary Salt Increases Urea Synthesis And Energy Requirements

Unless it makes you feel bad you're likely fine.

dfspcc20

I do the same thing. Much more refreshing. I find it difficult to drink OJ without it now.

burtlancast

Another interesting point is Pauling was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 70 yet lived symptoms free for another 20 years by drinking everyday 18 gr of Vit C mixed with baking soda.

Maybe it was more the baking soda that helped him, rather than the Vit C?

Simoncini is curing cancer people with it.

griesburner

baking soda + vitamin c + sodium ascorbate? i am not the best in chemistry lol. But i always wondered if the reacted substances have the same effect. What reaction occurs when baking soda hits stomach acid? But when first mixed with something sour like vitamin C or orange juice then it won"t work as an antacid, right? And you dont have to worry about diluting your stomach acid.

yerrag

I've been taking baking soda at for the past 10 days at quantities I've been afraid to take before. It started at 3g, and increased to 4g/day. I hope to have a urinalysis tomorrow to see the effect of it on my urine pH.

What I noticed is that it increased my heart rate without increasing my blood pressure. I still have to observe more though, to see if this trend stays. I think that what it does is that it helps alkalinize the blood, as well as increases the CO2 content in it. It helps with tissue oxygenation, and increases metabolism.

I'm just doing this because I had lower metabolism, weaker immunity from trying to increase my magnesium stores using magnesium chloride. For 5 months, I was taking 4.8grams magnesium chloride daily. The magnesium certainly helped in improving my arthritic knee, but the chloride was an acid load on my blood. I had to urinate very often, to the point that it disturbed my sleep, as I was finding myself waking up 4 times each night. My allergy to MSG and to pollen came back, and the phlegm from the cough and colds would not go away from my windpipe.

I stopped the magnesium chloride, and my sleep quickly improved. My heart rate increased as well. But I still felt low energy. I took the baking soda in an attempt to correct for the blood acidity introduced by the chlorides. I don't know if it's been corrected already, but I feel better and more energetic with the 4g per day of baking soda. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I had 2 successive nights where I dreamed, and I haven't dreamed in a long time. But it could be that I had very good sleep.

I plan to stop using baking soa as soon as my urine pH reaches 7.5, which is a point when I can safely say I have enough bicarbonates to weather acidic load insults. But I will be shifting to using magnesium bicarbonate soon, when I get free time to get my DIY magnesium bicarbonate system going. Just need to get a food grade CO2 tank fitted.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

I suspect vit C enhances the absorption of impurities, so sodium bicarbonate has to be of good quality (especially when taken with C).

From what I've noticed from people, it's weird to drink something which is peaking in fizzying, they just wait for it to pass and then drink it. You can notice this with those who use effervescent vit of the Cs tablets. A great deal of bicarbonate will escape as gas when people wait for them to react. I'm mentioning it because I have the impression that gurus are after sodium, vit C and bicarbonate in disordeI mean, in this order.

It's possible that waiting for them to react is a way to ingest bicarbonate in safer amounts at a time, those that won't cause a sharp decrease in stomach acidity.

Shameless plugs:
- Magnesium Chloride And Magnesium Sulfate: A Comparison
- How Much Sodium Is In The Diet? Is The RDA For Sodium Too High?
- Medicine Finally Admits Leaky Gut Is A "real" Disease (first paragraph, on the possibility of stress increasing permeability in the intestines to absorb more sodium to meet the demand)

Another useful aspect of bicarbonate salts is that they react with acids, making them less prone to react with cookware and utensils.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals