haidut

Forum Supporter
Several people on the forum have experienced issues with kidney function, and it is a common co-morbidity in people with diabetes or autoimmune conditions like Lupus. Some steroids like androsterone, and progesterone have strong evidence in their favor for restoring kidney function, but they are in accessible in many countries around the world. This study shows that a HED dose of about 30mg/kg niacinamide for 4 days fully restored kidney function. The study only looked at acute kidney injury (AKI) but the mechanisms apply to chronic kidney disease as well. The cisplatin treatment mentioned in below is an established animal model for causing chronic kidney disease. For chronic kidney disease the treatment with niacinamide should probably longer term (1-2 months) to see an effect. Vitamin D is also very important for restoring kidney function.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160316151353.htm
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v531/n7595/full/nature17184.html
"...Renal protection was similarly abolished in either setting, confirming their roles as PGC1α effectors (Fig. 4a, b, Extended Data Fig. 7d, e). Since NAM prevented ischaemic AKI in Pgc1α−/− mice, we then asked whether NAM has a broader therapeutic role. NAM administered after established AKI significantly improved renal function (P=0.0011, Fig. 4c). We also observed that renal NAM declined following cisplatin, a chemotherapy that injures the kidney through a mechanism considered distinct from ischaemia (Extended Data Fig. 7f, g). NAM supplementation prevented cisplatin-induced AKI (Fig. 4d, e)."

Interestingly, there is already a human trial with 30mg/kg daily niaciamide for treating polycystic kidney disease, which is a type of chronic kidney disease (CKD).
Pilot Study of Niacinamide in Polycystic Kidney Disease (NIAC-PKD2) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Last edited:

Koveras

Several people on the forum have experienced issues with kidney function, and it is a common co-morbidity in people with diabetes or autoimmune conditions like Lupus. Some steroids like androsterone, and progesterone have strong evidence in their favor for restoring kidney function, but they are in accessible in many countries around the world. This study shows that a HED dose of about 30mg/kg niacinamide for 4 days fully restored kidney function. The study only looked at acute kidney injury (AKI) but the mechanisms apply to chronic kidney disease as well. The cisplatin treatment mentioned in below is an established animal model for causing chronic kidney disease. For chronic kidney disease the treatment with niacinamide should probably longer term (1-2 months) to see an effect. Vitamin D is also very important for restoring kidney function.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160316151353.htm
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v531/n7595/full/nature17184.html
"...Renal protection was similarly abolished in either setting, confirming their roles as PGC1α effectors (Fig. 4a, b, Extended Data Fig. 7d, e). Since NAM prevented ischaemic AKI in Pgc1α−/− mice, we then asked whether NAM has a broader therapeutic role. NAM administered after established AKI significantly improved renal function (P=0.0011, Fig. 4c). We also observed that renal NAM declined following cisplatin, a chemotherapy that injures the kidney through a mechanism considered distinct from ischaemia (Extended Data Fig. 7f, g). NAM supplementation prevented cisplatin-induced AKI (Fig. 4d, e)."

Interestingly, there is already a human trial with 30mg/kg daily niaciamide for treating polycystic kidney disease, which is a type of chronic kidney disease (CKD).
Pilot Study of Niacinamide in Polycystic Kidney Disease (NIAC-PKD2) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Probably also related to the phosphate lowering effect

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Probably also related to the phosphate lowering effect

Great point! And lowering PTH as well. I think I posted a few studies on the forum on 1g niacinamide daily lowering both phosphate and PTH in people with kidney disease.

nullredvector

Great point! And lowering PTH as well. I think I posted a few studies on the forum on 1g niacinamide daily lowering both phosphate and PTH in people with kidney disease.
Yeah when I take over 1g I get massive cravings for high phosphate foods like meat and bread

Would magnesium stearate diminish these good effects?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

moriwatzi

@haidut great find! Do you think it is necessary to take the 30mg/kg at once or will split in 3 doses probably work as well? Single dose would be around 2,7 grams for me, so coming close to the 3 g inhibiting liver respiration....

Speaking of dose, how much Androsterone would you imagine Doctors could use for treating kidney disease?

Thanks a lot!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut great find! Do you think it is necessary to take the 30mg/kg at once or will split in 3 doses probably work as well? Single dose would be around 2,7 grams for me, so coming close to the 3 g inhibiting liver respiration....

Speaking of dose, how much Androsterone would you imagine Doctors could use for treating kidney disease?

Thanks a lot!

Taking the 3g at once may reach the respiration inhibiting concentration, so I would go with 1g x 3 daily instead. It should still have the same effect on kidneys as it is the NAD that matters and not the niacinamide levels.

moriwatzi

Taking the 3g at once may reach the respiration inhibiting concentration, so I would go with 1g x 3 daily instead. It should still have the same effect on kidneys as it is the NAD that matters and not the niacinamide levels.

thanks, haidut! Did you see these two studies too? Effects of low-dose niacin on dyslipidemia and serum phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease

Conclusion
Low-dose niacin had a low frequency of adverse effects and also improved dyslipidemia, lowered serum phosphorus level, and increased GFR in patients with CKD. Further studies are needed to evaluate the long-term effects of low-dose niacin for renal progression of CKD.
Effect of low dose nicotinic acid on hyperphosphatemia in patients with end stage renal disease

Conclusion
We conclude that niacin (100 mg/day) decreased phosphorus serum level and increased HDL serum level in patients on dialysis.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
thanks, haidut! Did you see these two studies too? Effects of low-dose niacin on dyslipidemia and serum phosphorus in patients with chronic kidney disease

Conclusion
Low-dose niacin had a low frequency of adverse effects and also improved dyslipidemia, lowered serum phosphorus level, and increased GFR in patients with CKD. Further studies are needed to evaluate the long-term effects of low-dose niacin for renal progression of CKD.
Effect of low dose nicotinic acid on hyperphosphatemia in patients with end stage renal disease

Conclusion
We conclude that niacin (100 mg/day) decreased phosphorus serum level and increased HDL serum level in patients on dialysis.

Yes, I have seen them and there are some studies with niacinamide lowering phosphorus in CKD as well. The increase in HDL by plain niacin is not necessarily a good thing. It suggests niacin is viewed as a toxin by the organism, maybe due to it releasing histamine??

BibleBeliever

Yes, I have seen them and there are some studies with niacinamide lowering phosphorus in CKD as well. The increase in HDL by plain niacin is not necessarily a good thing. It suggests niacin is viewed as a toxin by the organism, maybe due to it releasing histamine??
Niacin releases histamine? Searching about that and found this:

"It's my understanding that niacin (any form) increases histamine release, and the release of other compounds from mast cells, but that doesn't mean they're released or dumped from the body.

Instead, since niacin is a methyl-acceptor, it blocks methylation (which helps degrade or break down histamine) and actually increases histamine levels in the body.

Excess nicotinamide increases plasma serotonin and histamine levels. - PubMed - NCBI

This can be a huge problem for those who develop histamine intolerance, as both methylation (and the DAO enzyme in the gut) need to function properly or histamine levels just increase and increase resulting in serious health consequences:

Histamine and histamine intolerance. - PubMed - NCBI"

I drink very strong coffee, quite a bit, which is high in niacin. I notice that I keep getting new moles all over my skin (which if not iron/pufa based is related to mast cell abnormalities) I wonder if there is a correlation? Or is the histamine simply released and then inevitably destroyed long-term and decreased?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

"It's my understanding that niacin (any form) increases histamine release, and the release of other compounds from mast cells, but that doesn't mean they're released or dumped from the body.

Instead, since niacin is a methyl-acceptor, it blocks methylation (which helps degrade or break down histamine) and actually increases histamine levels in the body.

Excess nicotinamide increases plasma serotonin and histamine levels. - PubMed - NCBI

This can be a huge problem for those who develop histamine intolerance, as both methylation (and the DAO enzyme in the gut) need to function properly or histamine levels just increase and increase resulting in serious health consequences:

I drink very strong coffee, quite a bit, which is high in niacin. I notice that I keep getting new moles all over my skin (which if not iron/pufa based is related to mast cell abnormalities) I wonder if there is a correlation? Or is the histamine simply released and then inevitably destroyed long-term and decreased?

The flushing that regular niacin causes is due to histamine. That is why aspirin helps tone it down. Niacinamide does not seem to have this effect.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does niacin also help with kidneys or is the effect only due niacinamide

Both seem to lower phosphate and PTH in human trials with CKD.

InChristAlone

I have not heard of anecdotal reports of histamine intolerance due to niacinamide, so it may not be black and white. I've been on 50-100mg for 6 months and I do not get diarrhea, headaches, rhinitis from it. In the beginning I did get headaches. I am also on ascorbic acid so maybe it has offset some of it.

The_xXx

if i think logically it does seem when kidney are harmed or in bad state it does mean they dont have enough energy to maintain their recovery or sustain ? Because niacin and Niacinamide shift the metabolism to glucose right = more energy . Because i have developed a harmless kidneycyst in my right kidney. Doctor told me that it contains some fluid. And im really worried about this dont want that it get worse. My theory is why then all other organs get enough energy and dont get harmed. I think i harmed my kidney , because i lost alot of bad fat mainly maybe pufa which contains alot of toxin and my kidney want to save itself from it and maybe stores those bad toxins which get release when pufa breaksdown in this Kidneycyst. So when i take take niacin or niacinamide maybe stops or downregulates fatburning in favour of carb burning then i stop burn the pufas and toxins stop releasing and kidney can rest.

Haidcut can you confirm or give a statement of this theory, because its a reeally bad thing if your feel your area arround your kidney is like clogged or sth. . Maybe its caused due bacterias. Im really thinking of going to Doctor and telling him give me antibiotics. But the only thing im worried is that i maybe harm more my kidneys by taking an antibiotics because its maybe more burden to them .

BibleBeliever

The flushing that regular niacin causes is due to histamine. That is why aspirin helps tone it down. Niacinamide does not seem to have this effect.
Interesting. I wonder if foods high in niacin fall into this category or if they are handled differently by the body.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals