Supplementing Cypro Or Thyroid?

scarlettsmum

So I took just 1mg of cypro last night for the first time finally and although it didn't help me to go to sleep any faster it gave me a deeper sleep.
This morning kids woke me up before I was ready and I just feel so tired and no energy. I feel irritable and have zero patience with kids/husband. I want to sleep now during the day, but am not able to, my body is tired but unable to sleep.
I guess the answer is that it lowered my stress hormones that kept me going. Well how do you raise your thyroid at the same time? I have been trying with food only, but no such luck. And I can't mess with my diet much otherwise it brings on even more physiological stress, so I must eat bread, starch, otherwise I run into problems. I wonder if I should start supplementing thyroid instead and see how that goes first? I thought that since I have some mental serotonin related issues such as anxiety that anti-serotonin is the way to go, but now I'm not sure. I have also purchased Haidut's ritaserin so will try that to see if it has a better effect.

Last edited:
3 or 4 days of cyproheptadine seems to take away the drowsy run down sleepy effect.

I would give it a few weeks and see what's going on then.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

3 or 4 days of cyproheptadine seems to take away the drowsy run down sleepy effect.

I would give it a few weeks and see what's going on then.

I see, so I should give it a few days then? Is it normal to feel like this only after 1 mg, 1/4 pill? I also had a mild UTI the whole morning, I wonder if it's related?

TheHound

the morning sleepiness from cyproheptadine did not go away for me. every morning was basically a fight to get out of bed, even when I was using it for weeks at a time

I see, so I should give it a few days then? Is it normal to feel like this only after 1 mg, 1/4 pill? I also had a mild UTI the whole morning, I wonder if it's related?

Yes it's normal.

Uti? Don't think so. Cyproheptadine can dry out the vagina a bit. Not aware of urinary effects but it's possible.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

the morning sleepiness from cyproheptadine did not go away for me. every morning was basically a fight to get out of bed, even when I was using it for weeks at a time

That doesn't sound great. How much were you taking?

Peata

It seems to be different for everyone, so you'll just have to try it for a while and see how you do. I started with 1/4 - 1/2 MG and after a while increased. At times I took doses throughout the day. I think I got up to 12 mg.per day or higher at one point. The sedating effects really did wear off after a while for me. At this point, I usually just take 1/2 - 1 mg. one night per week. Cypro takes 2 - 4 hours to kick in for me. Even then, a lot of times I don't get that sleepy anymore.

i was and do take 1mg twice a day when I take it. A few days later, I am no longer sleepy and draggy. Miss a day and it takes another few days to acclimate.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

It seems to be different for everyone, so you'll just have to try it for a while and see how you do. I started with 1/4 - 1/2 MG and after a while increased. At times I took doses throughout the day. I think I got up to 12 mg.per day or higher at one point. The sedating effects really did wear off after a while for me. At this point, I usually just take 1/2 - 1 mg. one night per week. Cypro takes 2 - 4 hours to kick in for me. Even then, a lot of times I don't get that sleepy anymore.

I am tempted to wait until ritaserin from Haidut comes. I need to drive the kids to preschool in the mornings and am worried about not being alert as I should be. How is it even possible after 8 hours to still have that effect? If I take it at 10pm and wake up at 7 am feeling groggy, is it still cypro in my system or is it some after effect?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thanks for sharing your experience Peata. Why do you still take it? Is it a preventative measure ? Do you feel that it had permanent positive effects for you or only when you take it?
I am tempted to wait until ritaserin from Haidut comes. I need to drive the kids to preschool in the mornings and am worried about not being alert as I should be. How is it even possible after 8 hours to still have that effect? If I take it at 10pm and wake up at 7 am feeling groggy, is it still cypro in my system or is it some after effect?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

i was and do take 1mg twice a day when I take it. A few days later, I am no longer sleepy and draggy. Miss a day and it takes another few days to acclimate.

How do you get on with life then? I just feel it could seriously interfere with work, driving, etc. Perhaps it is better to take it every day for some time until completely accustomed and then stop when whatever problem has been resolved rather than stop and start?

How do you get on with life then? I just feel it could seriously interfere with work, driving, etc. Perhaps it is better to take it every day for some time until completely accustomed and then stop when whatever problem has been resolved rather than stop and start?

you can really carve up a pill, try 1/4 or 1/2 of a mg...just a few tiny grains of powder...you can work up to higher doses.

Re thyroid, I tried it when I started "Peating" last year, late in the year. But I didn't benefit from it and had all sorts of issues.

Then after I got my diet better, and probably got rid of a lot of stored PUFAs, I started taking it again, and this time I am benefiting I think.

You have to fix the engine before you load high octane gas I guess you could say.

I think stabilizing your diet so you feel good and have good bowel movements first is important.

How are your waking temperatures?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

you can really carve up a pill, try 1/4 or 1/2 of a mg...just a few tiny grains of powder...you can work up to higher doses.

Re thyroid, I tried it when I started "Peating" last year, late in the year. But I didn't benefit from it and had all sorts of issues.

Then after I got my diet better, and probably got rid of a lot of stored PUFAs, I started taking it again, and this time I am benefiting I think.

You have to fix the engine before you load high octane gas I guess you could say.

I think stabilizing your diet so you feel good and have good bowel movements first is important.

How are your waking temperatures?

Yes, I'm trying with my diet, although can't do strictly RP, triggers my stress response. My morning temps are around 36.3-36.4, an improvement from 35.4 in the winter. Interesting about thyroid not working for you. I haven't tried it yet, but keep thinking that since my cholester is high, it may be justified. I just find cypro dosing easier than thyroid. And yes, I have been taking only 1/4 tab which equals 1mg. I don't think I could cut it any smaller.:) I am getting my blood tests results back this Thursday, so will report back with findings.:) I wonder if anyone has reported racing heart after taking cypro, it is one of the possible side effects and I had that on and off after taking cypro. Although I am prone to it anyway because of my anxiety. But this time it seem to have been triggered by cypro.

Peata

I take it earlier in the evening because I know it has a delay. If you take it at 10 p.m. it may not take full effect til 2 a.m. and then it still has all that time in your system when you mean to get up and get active. I'm just going by how it affects me here. There is definitely a delayed reaction in how long the sedation takes to kick in. But sometimes I don't even get sleepy from it anymore, even if I haven't taken it in a while and then take some. A tolerance of sort.

I find the pills pretty easy to break up. Break it into quarters (1 mg each) then break those in half (probably won't be exactly even but oh well), and can even pinch those into smaller (becomes dust pretty much) pieces.

Let us know how the Ritanserin study goes.

Lecarpetron

Just another data point, I take 1/8 of a pill at 7pm. That is the optimal lead time such that drowsiness wears off by 6:30am (for me at least).

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I take it earlier in the evening because I know it has a delay. If you take it at 10 p.m. it may not take full effect til 2 a.m. and then it still has all that time in your system when you mean to get up and get active. I'm just going by how it affects me here. There is definitely a delayed reaction in how long the sedation takes to kick in. But sometimes I don't even get sleepy from it anymore, even if I haven't taken it in a while and then take some. A tolerance of sort.

I find the pills pretty easy to break up. Break it into quarters (1 mg each) then break those in half (probably won't be exactly even but oh well), and can even pinch those into smaller (becomes dust pretty much) pieces.

Let us know how the Ritanserin study goes.

Good tip, Peata. I too was surprised why I was feeling no effect before I actually fell asleep. It must have a long delay for me too. I was hoping it would help me nod off to sleep, but only kicked in whilst I was already asleep still having an effect in the morning. I will post an update on Ritanserin.

Ledo

I only take 1/8th of a pill, 1/2 mg, otherwise I would have the effect you described. Sometimes I think it drops morning cortisol to low if any more is taken by me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals