Sunmountain's Log

Blossom

Forum Supporter
If it's any consolation I had localized edema for several months after starting to eat adequate calories. It gradually receded without any intervention beyond keeping up with nutrition and resting as much as possible.

tara

I swallowed smartpill 8am yesterday, and pooped it out 8am this morning! The nurse showed me a steep drop in temp after uploading results which is indicative of its exit. I didn't expect it to exit so quickly, and still a bit puzzled how it got past the old backed up poop to exit so soon (sorry, TMI).
Maybe either you're not as blocked up as you thought or that capsule was motorised? :lol:

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks, I do recall the tissue repair hypothesis from Gwenyth. The brain fog has been terrible lately, no doubt due to thyroid.

Some more results came in:
Thyroglobulin 5.0 ng/mL 1.1-35.0 ng/mL
Thyroglobulin Ab 4.8 [IU]/mL <0.9 [IU]/mL

Thyroid antibodies? Can this be temporary, related to going off thyroid for a month?

Ledo

Thanks for your reply, Haidut. I've been putting 20 drops Mitolipin on abdomen/breasts, and so far haven't noticed much. I'm thinking of taking another 20 drops orally. Is it ok to put it in a capsule (due to fishy smell) and swallow with Apple juice?

Is there any reason not to eat eggs while taking the supplement?

I vote for keeping the vitamin E as it is. That way I don't have to supplement E separately.

Thanks
Hey Sunmountain, did you ever get anything out of that interaction you had with goldubv (not exact) a while back? sorry off topic

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Hi Ledo, I tried the plankton that Gbolduev had recommended for SIBO, but it made no difference. But I think my exchange with him was before I discovered I had H Pylori. I think lot of things don't work when you have HP. I was treated for HP last summer, which improved some issues, but the SIBO remained.

A breath test last December revealed I no longer had methanogens (much harder to eradicate) but only hydrogen. So about a month ago, I did a week course of rifaximin, knowing it's indicated for hydrogen. It worked, and SIBO resolved (though not stomach bloating; I have other issues also).

One other thing I did do recently due to the exchange with Gbolduev is to try high quality Shilajit. I also take some other Ayurvedic herbs, so it is synergistic with that.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Lots to update again!

Last week, I tried going off the Shilajit for a day, and immediately felt the extreme fatigue from low thyroid. But now after a week of thyroid, things are already much better. The total stop in digestion (needing to take enzymes to digest even breakfast) has cleared and I'm off all enzymes. I temporarily suspended Shilajit until thyroid levels normalize, and will then add it back in. It really is an amazing supplement, helping me pee, so that I need less of any other diuretic, and giving energy. But I think it's effects will be better once my thyroid levels normalize.

One very interesting thing happened. A month ago, I did the one-week course of rifaximin which resolved the SIBO (though not the bloat due to other things as constipation and possibly gastritis). Then a few days ago, I started feeling SIBO again. I first tried Pau d'Arco and o_O, but the Pau made things worse.

So then last night, I took something Dr. Peat had recommended last summer for SIBO (but which didn't work then due to unknown H Pylori). I took 125mg of Pen-Vi-K. It worked this time, and I could literally feel the dead bacteria or whatever moving down my gut as a downward pressure (sorry if TMI), and the SIBO resolved within minutes. Amazing!

So now I feel I have a game plan for the SIBO when it strikes. Of course, it hinges on that the SIBO remain hydrogen and does not mutate into methane. Next time, I might try berberine or some other herbal first before Pen-Vi-K in order not to become resistant, if the SIBO strikes sooner rather than later.

With the SIBO being less or not bothersome or gone, my stomach is a bit less inflated.

Constipation -- bane of my life -- continues. Getting back on thyroid is helping very slightly, though it's been only a week on thyroid. I've now added another ingredient to my laxative drink, which I take once or twice a day, depending: 1 heaping tsp slippery elm, half or 3/4 dropper marshmallow root, and I added a tropical fruit powder, called Amla, which is a big deal in Ayurveda. It's very high in antioxidants and vit C, which seems to be supporting the other herbs. At night I'm continuing with just one dose Triphala, which reliably gives me a morning BM after drinking hot water.

I'm curious though that even after what seems like full elimination on a few days (meaning two poops), my stomach remains bloated. If there is/was gastritis, it should be better by now after a couple weeks of slippery elm plus marshmallow root (will continue indefinitely). SIBO in terms of gassiness is much better. So what could be keeping the stomach inflated? Maybe the elimination is not full after all? Maybe there is still gas trapped inside though not exiting? Maybe slow transit, though it doesn't feel like that? Well, maybe the GI will get back with smartpill results and they will show something.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Well, I'm stumped.

The smartpill results came back with perfect motility. "Brisk colonic transit" and "rapid SBTT." Normal gastric emptying of 3.34 hours (with over 4 hours being impaired so close to upper limit). Gastric pH high 7.7 and low 0.7.

I did take my nightly single dose of Triphala during the test.

So WHY am I still constipated and bloated??????

I'm looking into PFD. I usually feel a mild to moderate urge but it often doesn't lead to BM. When I do go, it feels incomplete.

What else could it be, other than PFD??

And why bloated???

I'm just arrived overseas to help care for my father who is ill. Had good BM couple hours after lunch, though may not have been complete. Wouldn't it be awesome if things got better on their own now that I'm again overseas....

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

An Old Idea, Revived: Starve Cancer to Death - The New York Times https://apple.news/A3pvWZtNbTJ25zbi8lOKBBA

Just read this very interesting article about Otto Warburg, the Warburg effect, cancer as a problem of energy and the revival of this idea, metabolism based therapies and research, etc. Really well-written science writing.

Of course, it mentioned some researchers who are led to bash sugar because cancer cells feed on sugar, although other researchers are finding that they can turn off the sugar pathway and the cancer then feeds on glutamine, turn off glutamine and it might feed on fatty acids. I'm guessing Dr. Peat would focus on the problem of combustion? I.e., inability to utilize oxygen because...too little CO2??

Birdie

Well, I'm stumped.

The smartpill results came back with perfect motility. "Brisk colonic transit" and "rapid SBTT." Normal gastric emptying of 3.34 hours (with over 4 hours being impaired so close to upper limit). Gastric pH high 7.7 and low 0.7.

I did take my nightly single dose of Triphala during the test.

So WHY am I still constipated and bloated??????

I'm looking into PFD. I usually feel a mild to moderate urge but it often doesn't lead to BM. When I do go, it feels incomplete.

What else could it be, other than PFD??

And why bloated???

I'm just arrived overseas to help care for my father who is ill. Had good BM couple hours after lunch, though may not have been complete. Wouldn't it be awesome if things got better on their own now that I'm again overseas....
Just a quick note to give my experience with the possible incomplete poop. A bidet toilet attachment has helped me mucho. The stimulus gets the colon going.

I got this bidet last year and I didn't know it would help with colon mobilization. :woot:

There are small inexpensive ones available on amazon. Anyway, just in case it might be helpful. I don't know if a real bidet toilet would do the same. But you might be in a place with one of those that you could try.:thumbsup:

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Hi Birdie, unfortunately no bidet around here. Not even any access to traditional squat toilets. o_O

Went to gyn here who checked and said no PFD.

A German orthopedic surgeon here who runs a PT and Ayurvedic clinic here said he thought I had dysbiosis. I'm now seeing a new Ayurvedic doc at his clinic, with a new set of meds, which are helping the BM. The Vaidya thinks the meds will also take care of the dysbiosis.

Also I had forgotten due to brain fog that my TSH a couple of weeks ago was 8 (long story why up thread). After arriving here, I did labs and it's 6. That would definitely be contributing to constipation.

I'm now on a liver formula again as part of the new Ayurvedic protocol, so will probably normalize TSH much sooner than on cynoplus alone. Also cynoplus difficult in the heat here 115 degrees outside the AC. Was considering whether to switch to T4 only short term due to heat until TSH normalizes.

May see endocrinologist here as they may know more about thyroid effect of Ayurvedic liver tonics. My own past experience was that they bring down TSH.

Birdie

Hi sun mountain,

Didn't check back comments to see where you were.
But just for reference, the portable ones are cheap on Amazon.
I studied Ayurvedic medicine but it's been many years.
Got rid of those books and miss them.

That is a high TSH isn't it.
Definitely shows a problem, agree.

Cynoplus didn't work for me.
I still use NDT. (Switching brands right now due to a buyout and formula change.)

Evandrojr

Hi Birdie, unfortunately no bidet around here. Not even any access to traditional squat toilets. o_O

Went to gyn here who checked and said no PFD.

A German orthopedic surgeon here who runs a PT and Ayurvedic clinic here said he thought I had dysbiosis. I'm now seeing a new Ayurvedic doc at his clinic, with a new set of meds, which are helping the BM. The Vaidya thinks the meds will also take care of the dysbiosis.

Also I had forgotten due to brain fog that my TSH a couple of weeks ago was 8 (long story why up thread). After arriving here, I did labs and it's 6. That would definitely be contributing to constipation.

I'm now on a liver formula again as part of the new Ayurvedic protocol, so will probably normalize TSH much sooner than on cynoplus alone. Also cynoplus difficult in the heat here 115 degrees outside the AC. Was considering whether to switch to T4 only short term due to heat until TSH normalizes.

May see endocrinologist here as they may know more about thyroid effect of Ayurvedic liver tonics. My own past experience was that they bring down TSH.
Hi @sunmountain , sorry to hear about your troubles. I find myself in a very similar situation. I must admit I only read the last 3 pages of the thread, I'll read back everything but for now, let me tell you where I stand:

I was diagnosed with SIBO and Peptic Ulcer, so my doc wanted to focus on the ulcer first because the antibiotics for the SIBO could further damage the stomach lining. Oh, and of course, chronic constipation my entire life, but we'll get to that soon. So he obviously prescribed PPIs, which I refused to take, but I agreed with the plan of tackling the ulcer first. So my protocol for 1 month was (in order of importance imo):
- quit all coffe (I ised to have 1 black am on empty stomach, ouch)
- zinc-carnosin (Pepsin GI)
- marshmallow root b4 meals
- slippery elm b4 meals
- quit all citrus (including our beloved orange juice)
- quit all acids (including ACV, which I believe is a great supplement if stomach can handle)
- reduce protein consumption @night, to avoid stimulating HCL production b4 laying down.

Mind you, I tested negative for H Pylori, so my problem was just the corrosion of the duodenum/stomach/esophagus lining. That protocol helped a lot (ulcer still not totally healed, but much better). This was just last month, the plan was to start antibiotics this month (metronidazole, only things I could get my hands on here in Switzerland). But interestingly my SIBO got much better this past few month and that's what I wanted to share with you.

My theory is that both constipation and bloating in my case, and I suspect also in yours, is due to an "over excitement" of the colon, and not lack of mobility (which was my assumption for the last several years). Once I stopped trying to stimulate my colon (for which I used to use senna, citric acid mega dosing, magnesium, coffee, phylum, probiotics, etc) things got better. A few people out there, including Ray, share that theory that an over stimulation of the colon impairs regular smooth motility, swallow colon walls and therefore leads to const and subsequently SIBO (you know the mechanics here).

So now, b4 I take the antibiotics, I'm going to experiment for 1 month with no probiotics and very low fiber (probiotics, even the beneficial such as acidophilus, increase colon acidity. Colon is supposed to be slightly acid of course, more so than the small intestine (around 6.8 ph), but excess acidity causes irritation and over stimulation). Fiber, specially insoluble, also irritates the intestines. so here's the plan for the next 30 days:

- no probiotics
- low fiber (I've tried the raw carrot a few times and it gives me LOTS of gases, I'd love to incorporate that at some point but not now)
- no acids
- citrus: only OJ, with meals
- loads of calcium, mainly from cheese (raw milk if possible, more enzymes)
- fat: I'm still undecided on that. Will try low fat a few days, than higher on others, mainly SAFA (coconut oil and ghee/butter). My guess is low fat irritates less, but high SAFA offers anti-inflammatory effects, so I'll play around a bit.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that!!

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Well, my TSH dropped from 6 to 0.83 in a week on half cynoplus daily and liver tonic. Don't think half cyno can do this in a week, so the liver tonic (different one this time) definitely drops the TSH. Now I'm back to trying to take 1/8 cyno daily while on the liver tonic, which is hit or miss due to being so tiny.

No change in constipation or bloating after normalization of TSH. Fatigue better but still there, probably due to backed up s**t and bugs eating all my food.

Going back on Shilajit for fatigue now that TSH is normal.

Does anyone know why MoM is not used as laxative in peatdom? My father here is taking Cremaffin, which is MoM and paraffin. Why would that be bad? I took it last night, and had the same BM as usual in the morning as just on Ayurvedic meds, so might try it another day or two.

Evan, I'll have to think about your idea that too much colonic stimulation can cause SIBO. I went off cascara in December and switched to triphala, which is supposed to be a mild laxative, possibly slightly stimulant. In my case, overstimulation caused the colon to stop responding so I didn't feel the urge anymore...it's coming back slowly now on triphala. Do you mean that overstimulation can cause SIBO in that sense that poop sits around because the colon stops responding? That would be my scenario then.

Fiber doesn't bother me so I can't say much about that. Saturated fat should help, per Ayurveda. A lot of calcium might be constipating per forum posts unless you balance with Mg.

Maybe I could try going off triphala once I'm back in the US (leaving tomorrow!) and try the bidet from Amazon.

What I'm definitely going to do upon returning is find a doc who can order and interpret Genova's stool test for me, then find targeted pro or antibiotics. I tried Rifaximin before I left the US, and it took away the gassiness but bloating/constipation untouched.

I had constipation only once as a child before I started peating a couple years ago. Or should I say started eating enough.

My GI dumped me cause I was not compliant enough. Took too long to do the smartpill, I guess.

Birdie, what led you to Ayurveda, and did you work with a practitioner and see any results? Are you a doc?

My daughter has Trich. Waiting for her partner to get diagnosed; then they go on flagyl (shudder). What would Dr. Peat recommend for Trich? She also has low Hb since 3 years post unexplained high fever probably tick. Put her on Ayurveda to build Hb and immunity.

Jennifer

Well, my TSH dropped from 6 to 0.83 in a week on half cynoplus daily and liver tonic. Don't think half cyno can do this in a week, so the liver tonic (different one this time) definitely drops the TSH. Now I'm back to trying to take 1/8 cyno daily while on the liver tonic, which is hit or miss due to being so tiny.

No change in constipation or bloating after normalization of TSH. Fatigue better but still there, probably due to backed up s**t and bugs eating all my food.

Going back on Shilajit for fatigue now that TSH is normal.

Does anyone know why MoM is not used as laxative in peatdom? My father here is taking Cremaffin, which is MoM and paraffin. Why would that be bad? I took it last night, and had the same BM as usual in the morning as just on Ayurvedic meds, so might try it another day or two.

What I'm definitely going to do upon returning is find a doc who can order and interpret Genova's stool test for me, then find targeted pro or antibiotics. I tried Rifaximin before I left the US, and it took away the gassiness but bloating/constipation untouched.
Hi sunmountain! :wave:

Hmm...well, MoM is used to make the magnesium bicarbonate water so I'm assuming Peaters aren't against its use, if that helps any. Actually, I think I remember reading where Ray said he considered it safe, but don't quote me on that. I always used the one that was free of sodium hypochlorite (Good Sense brand), which I read is actually bleach.

Does Shilajit work well for your fatigue? I've never looked into it before. Does it target the adrenals/is it an adaptogen?

I just ordered a bunch of herbs to strengthen both my mum's and my adrenals. My poor mum's adrenals are really struggling so I'm hoping these herbs will help. The other changes she has made have greatly helped, but she's still dealing with poor kidney filtration and fatigue so I'm thinking it's her adrenals.

The Genova stool test comes with a sheet at the very end of your report that lists exactly what antibiotics and natural herbs target your particular strains of bacteria, and/or possible fungi/Candida and parasites. I think I posted pics of my stool test results on my log, in case you want to see what the Genova reports look like.

I hope your fatigue resolves soon and you have safe travels home. :)

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Hi Jennifer, wonderful to hear from you! I hope you are well. Are you able to go hiking yet?

Evandrojr's idea about too much colonic stimulation stuck in my head, and I decided to go off everything including triphala and see what happens. Only taking small dose Shilajit for diuresis. Well, yesterday morning I had the same BM output as on the meds, today a bit less. Today I feel the water retention and slight low back pain, which was also being addressed by the meds, so going back on just the liver tonic which also has a diuretic herb in it.

I don't think the liver tonic has any direct effect on constipation, but wondering if somehow detoxing and defatting the liver might have improved constipation.

Will continue with just Shilajit and liver tonic and see what happens...

Jennifer, the Shilajit works well for me. It helps with diuresis for one thing, though doesn't clear it completely maybe dose too low. I got interested in it after reading Gbolduev on it. It's supposed to balance electrolytes by taking minerals into cells. It definitely gives an energy boost similar to Methylene Blue. It also makes me "feel" my muscles. I don't know about its effect on adrenals. I think for adrenals Ashwagandha is a well-known Herb?

After getting off the meds, I felt fine for a day, and then slightly tired as water retention came back. I suspect that even a small amount of water retention makes me feel tired.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, wonderful to hear from you! I hope you are well. Are you able to go hiking yet?
Oops! Sorry, sunmountain. For some reason I didn't receive a notice that you logged.

I'm doing great! Thanks. :) Lots of changes going on with my body.

I dropped the veggies for the time being to help speed up healing and have been on 100% fruits since the end of January. I've also continued taking Dr. Morse's herbs. I've made improvements that seem to be sticking and I feel amazing. I now have a regular menstrual cycle without the need for supplemental hormones, my head is clear, my energy is up, my depression hasn't returned, my digestion is spot on, my weight is stable, my body pain and rash are gone and my skin has never felt so soft. It's crazy!

I've been out hiking the rail trail in my town to help ease me back into it. I feel confident I could climb a mountain now if it weren't for the weight of my pack and gear. My spine has straightened out more (I'm up 3/4 of an inch), but I know it couldn't take the pressure from the added weight for 7+ hours of climbing. Plus, I don't want to push my luck while I'm still healing and set myself back.

Thank you for the info on the shilajit. I'm currently on some herbs to strengthen my adrenal glands so I was just curious if the shilajit was a strengthener or a relaxant.

Have you been able to get out for some gentle hikes or walks? Has your water retention gone down since you last logged? I hope so. :)

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

So wonderful and heartwarming to hear of your progress, Jennifer! I am so happy for you! You are wise to pace yourself with physical activity. And I'm very glad Dr. Morse's protocol is working for you. There are many routes to healing.

Do you also suffer from water retention still or only in the past?

I have just started walking again. Just level walking around the hood for now. Feels sooooo good!

Water retention is not too bad at the moment. The liver tonic and occasional UriCare is enough for now, in addition to Shilajit. I will probably have to get off thyroid at some point, if I'm to stay on the liver tonic, which I now plan to do because I suspect it has a number of benefits other than defatting the liver, or because of it.

Something new (or old that I did in the past) that I'm doing is adding some herbal abx for the bloating. So a bit of o_0 (can't take too much as stomach lining is still thin I suspect), and enteric coated peppermint oil (IBgard). Am thinking of adding a berberine complex. When I first took the o_o a couple of days ago, I felt a strong downward push in my abdomen, similar to when I took pen-v-K. Not so much since, so hope it's still working. Bloating is still there, though sometimes it seems like something might be happening.

BM output same as before when I took Ayurvedic meds for constipation, so it's probably good I've stopped those meds.

Have appointment with integrative practitioner to do Genova stool test in August, and trying to get it moved up.

Jennifer

Thanks, sunmountain! :blush:

I still get the occasional bump in the road, but I figure just as long as my steps forward are greater than my steps back, I'm getting somewhere.

One odd thing that's happening is my eyes are turning green. For most of my life my eyes have been almost black, but now their very light brown with lots of green and blue peaking through and they keep getting lighter. Very strange!

I never suffered with water retention, except for in my heels while doing RBTI. They swelled up so much that I had to wear flip-flops for a good 6 months. My issue was more bloat from the overgrowth than water retention.

For me, the bloating took the longest to get rid of so sadly, I'm not surprised you're still dealing with it at this point in your recovery. Hopefully, it ends for you soon. I know how difficult it is to live with day in and day out. It often felt like I would struggle with it the rest of my life.

YAY!!! I'm so happy to hear you've started walking again. In the hood or in the woods, it's all good to me. Just getting out there is what matters. Like today, I spent the day at a lake right down the road from my house and just walked around lazily taking in the beautiful weather. It felt so good for my soul.

Ah, sounds like a good plan! Dr. O put me on enteric coated peppermint oil in the past and it worked well for indigestion. Peppermint worked for me as an infant, too. I was given mint water (Canadian mints in water) in my bottle because of severe, chronic constipation. My mum said it always stopped my crying from the pain.

I hope your appointment with the IP goes well and you find the Genova test to be helpful. :)

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Have been trying to adjust thyroid meds after doing frequent labs. Also using waking temp/pulse to track.

Since a couple of months, my temp has been low and my pulse higher than normal at around 80+. Does that mean cortisol? Do we have a sticky or somesuch in the forum about interpreting the various combinations of temp/pulse?

A few days ago, I added Himalaya's Ashwagandha. Within hours I felt a strong energy. The next morning, my pulse went down to mid 70s and has stayed there since. Lowering of cortisol? If so, interesting because I had been taking Preg all this while while my pulse had shot up a couple of months ago. I'm now off Preg since a week and seeing how I do mentally just on Ashwagandha. In the past, I felt terrible within days of stopping Preg.

BUT my temp is still low in the 96s. I'm on a quarter cynoplus (last bottle!). I'm wondering if more thyroid is indicated to bring up temp.

I now believe LiverCare is actually raising TSH (cortisol?). This is based on before and after labs of my mother and daughter who went on it. Based on my own labs, it has been confusing to determine its effect on thyroid as I was adjusting my thyroid med while on it. I'm thinking about getting off it. Perhaps my temp might come up because of dropping it. Will try that before doing anything else.

Disappointing to have to get off LiverCare as it does have liver benefits. Maybe will try some other liver formula after I bring my temp up into the 97s, which is where it was before the past couple of months.

The bloating continues. Waiting for IP appt.

Constipation is about the same, maybe slightly better. Going once a day in the morning like clockwork, but incomplete, though more quantity than before. Second poop only maybe. Have gone off all laxatives, including triphala, though I think LiverCare has been helping, and also a capful of goldenseal every morning.

I do think I should add something for colon health since I'm now off triphala which also takes care of colon health. Something without laxative. What?

My supps: LiverCare (stopped yesterday and staying stopped for now), Ashwagandha (recent start), thyroid, goldenseal.

Peppermint stopped doing anything, and can't take much o_o due to stomach lining concern. Any other herbal abx out there for me to try?

Oh and water retention is not a problem these days and hasn't been since I started LiverCare. Hopefully it won't come back now that I'm stopping LiverCare.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals