peeing a lot and bleeding gums

catan

I have to pee almost every couple of hours during the day, and wake up at least 3 times a night to go to the bathroom. I used to think it was because of weaker muscles after childbirth, but I read on some threads that others' experience this too? Anything I can do to stop peeing so much?

The other issue I have is bleeding gums when I brush my teeth. I use only water and a bit of coconut oil now. My gums have been bleeding for more than 6 months already. I saw a dentist some months ago and he said my teeth and gums were fine.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Many people following a Peat inspired approach find salt helps with the frequent urination issue, you may already doing this but I just thought I would mention it just in case. I had it so bad for years that I thought I had UTI's but always checked out as normal. I wish I had known that my major problem was not enough salt! What a simple solution. It's something to consider anyway. I always have some salt with a little OJ before bed to help keep the stress hormones down.
Peata has posted about a coconut activated charcoal mouth treatment she does and I wondered if that would benefit you? I bet the bleeding gums will resolve when the urination issue does. I think it could be sort of a stress hormone cascade going on. My train can get easily derailed if I'm not attentive to eating right, using certain supplements and attempting to keep stress minimal. I may be reading way more into this than is actually going on but I do think if your not already focusing on salt it would be a good place to start. :2cents

burtlancast

Amalgam fillings are known to cause chronic gum bleeding.

aguilaroja

It's probably worth checking a couple of times to verify that there is no bladder infection that has gone without treatment.

You might look at the "overactive bladder" and "interstitial cystitis" wikis to see if that category matches your difficulties.

There is a huge overlap of these "non-infectious" bladder conditions with other low metabolism states–fatigue, fibromylagia, etc. I have seen some of these difficulties improve as metabolism and other symptoms improve. Of course, restorative sleep helps and this is tricky when having to wake up often to pee.

If they fit with relief for other symptoms, antihistamines (cyproheptadine, benadryl [diphehdydramine]) will tend to reduce urinary frequency (anticholinergic effect).

As blossom mentions, low metabolism often involves poor absorption and retension of salt and other minerals. Peeing out excess water may be one response.

Some general context about water and swelling is provided in these newsletters by Dr. Peat:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/water.shtml

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ed ... enia.shtml

HDD

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=296&p=27842&hilit=Bleeding+gums#p27842

by Rivka
"I had the same problem with bleeding and receding gums and sensitive teeth. I emailed Ray and received the following response: "Melting a little coconut oil in the mouth frequently during the day can be effective, because it's antiseptic (and swallowing some at intervals during the day contributes to disinfecting the intestine). Vitamins D and K help some people. The problem usually involves endotoxin absorption, so small daily amounts of minocycline help some people. Putting bamboo shoots through a shredding food processor, so they don't take much chewing, might help to reduce endotoxin. Checking the thyroid is important."
I tried all the natural supplements and foods with no luck. I then took 50mg of Minocycline 2x per day with food and after the 4th day my gums started becoming pinker and then fully back to normal by day 6. I stopped taking the antibiotic on day 7. I have also increased carrot salad to 2x per day to help with endotoxin removal."

burtlancast

Haagendazendiane said:
http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=296&p=27842&hilit=Bleeding+gums#p27842

by Rivka
"I had the same problem with bleeding and receding gums and sensitive teeth. I emailed Ray and received the following response: "Melting a little coconut oil in the mouth frequently during the day can be effective, because it's antiseptic (and swallowing some at intervals during the day contributes to disinfecting the intestine). Vitamins D and K help some people. The problem usually involves endotoxin absorption, so small daily amounts of minocycline help some people. Putting bamboo shoots through a shredding food processor, so they don't take much chewing, might help to reduce endotoxin. Checking the thyroid is important."
I tried all the natural supplements and foods with no luck. I then took 50mg of Minocycline 2x per day with food and after the 4th day my gums started becoming pinker and then fully back to normal by day 6. I stopped taking the antibiotic on day 7. I have also increased carrot salad to 2x per day to help with endotoxin removal."

Remember that endotoxins can come as well from neighbouring root canaled teeths.
Dentists will deny this, but root canals very often get overinfected with very virulent bacterias, and their toxins can travel outside the teeths into the gums.

In this case, all the best measures won't be sufficient to control the local inflammation; only the desinfection of the root canal will do the job.

Wilfrid

If endotoxemia is the big issue here, and if you don't want to use ( or can't have access to) antibiotics, you may consider using chlorella.
Ray is not particulary found of chlorella, mainly because chlorella naturally absorbs toxins and when grown outdoors has a high risk of containing environmental contaminants ( even if it's labelled organic), however this algae has a really strong capacities for reducing endotoxemia as well as having bowel protective properties.

http://libgen.org/scimag/get.php?doi=10 ... 009.06.001

It may worth a try to use a high quality chlorella grown indoors, for a short period of time, along with the raw carrot and/or the bamboo shoot.
Taking it 40 minutes before lunch and dinner, as well as starting very slowly could help.
Eating selenium rich foods during the chlorella protocol is also valuable or ( if you don't like shellfish), for a short period of time too, using the selenomethionine form of it could help too.
If you can't have access to high quality of chlorella, it would be wiser to not taking it at all.

Lipid defense response of Chlorella as theoretical background in wastewater
treatment for pollutants
V.K. Lebsky

In addition to the opinion of other authors [1,3,4],
analysis of Chlorella cells ultrastructure supported our opin-
ion that this lipid defense response may explain how alga re-
move and conserve lipid-solving pollutants.
Today there is no doubt about the connection between
pesticides use and their harmful effects on wildlife and health
of people. Pesticides are thought to cause hormonal imbal-
ance in organisms by mimicking natural hormones, interfer-
ing with cell function and activating unusual enzyme activ-
ity [11]. Additional health risks might arise from synergis-
tic effects of pesticides, and from increasing concentrations
of pollutants in different organisms. Furthermore, all of the
major pesticides in use have been implicated, possibly or cer-
tainly, as mutagens or teratogens. Most of them are extremely
stable, and, as a result, they persist in the environment for a
long time – some for years and more.
Both laboratory experiments and analysis of material col-
lected in the field have shown lipid composition in organisms
to have significant effect on bioaccumulation, and on lipid
steady-state concentration of pollutants . Dangerous com-
pounds such as organochlorines, tend to concentrate in living
cells and tissues at the top of the food chain [5,6,11].

burtlancast

Beware of Chlorella.

It has a natural ability to bind heavy metals found in it's growing medium, and the so called purity analyzes advertized by the vendors are completely unreliable.

Many people consumed it to "chelate" mercury and got instead mercury poisonning.

narouz

I was a chlorella enthusiast for about a year,
having caught the bug from Mercola.
Sheesh.

I now think it was one of the several really bad things I did to myself
under the impression I was journeying to health,
the Mercola Way.

Consider it this way:
Peat, in an interview, put it in this strong perspective:
chlorella--algae--is what fish eat to make their n-3 PUFA from.

I was quaffing from the Fountain of PUFA
and thinking it was healing me.... :shootself

Gum bleeding is, in my opinion, almost entirely a thing of bacteria. The other being Vitamin C deficiency but that is very rare, you would have to not touch a piece of fruit in weeks/months.

I developed bleeding gums at the same time that other areas of my health started rapidly declining, even though my oral hygiene stayed the same.
That is to say, hypothyroidism and hormonal imbalance, not eating enough / nutrient deficiencies, will make one far more susceptible to oral bacteria.

The latter two can be corrected fairly easily, but the first two cannot, so the problem can and might stay around for a while. What I found really effective, and this just by dumb luck - bell peppers. Yellow ones to be specific. I originally started eating them because of the Vitamin C content but later on discovered that OJ and vitamin C supplements didn't do the trick as well as bell peppers did. It turns out the capsaicin in them is fairly antibacterial. While I was eating them regularly my gum bleeding was a thing of the past. It's obviously more of a stop-gap measure but it can really help in the short term. Otherwise improving thyroid function and restoring balance in the body will probably correct it properly though those are kind of a catch-all term if you ask me.

Wilfrid

@narouz,

Agreed too.
That's why I said in my post above for a "short period of time" ( 5 days max).
And the last study extract that I quoted, clearly indicate the danger of taking chlorella, if contaminated with polluants.
That being said when I asked Ray regarding a multivitamins for my pregnant wife , he looked at the ingredients ( with 500mg of chlorella in it) and answered the following:

"5,000 units is considered safe as retinol during pregnancy. That formula is probably harmless, but I think there's too much boron and iron. When iron and copper are included in the same tablet or capsule as the vitamins, they are likely to oxidize the vitamins, so the amounts of vitamins B12, B2, folic acid, and vitamin A can't be counted on. That much iron often causes morning sickness. Chlorella can concentrate pollutants."

"...can concentrate" ,this is also why I strongly encourage to find a indoor grown chlorella of the highest quality if one want to use it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Cholrella is really high in iron. I remember you talking about that before. The things we do in the quest of health. :lol:

freal

I have to pee almost every couple of hours during the day, and wake up at least 3 times a night to go to the bathroom. I used to think it was because of weaker muscles after childbirth, but I read on some threads that others' experience this too? Anything I can do to stop peeing so much?

This means you have suboptimal aldosterone and probably also cortisol. I think that that state cannot last forever, all the minerals are going to be flushed from your body until there is nothing left,it can last a few years probably.

OP
C

catan

Blossom said:
Many people following a Peat inspired approach find salt helps with the frequent urination issue, you may already doing this but I just thought I would mention it just in case. I had it so bad for years that I thought I had UTI's but always checked out as normal. I wish I had known that my major problem was not enough salt! What a simple solution. It's something to consider anyway. I always have some salt with a little OJ before bed to help keep the stress hormones down.

Hi Blossom! How much salt do you use? I've been adding salt, around 1tsp more daily to OJ and foods. I seem to get thirsty when adding salt though. I'm pretty sure it's not UTI, as there are no other symptoms, and my lab results from last Aug and this Jan were clear of infections (and I was still peeing a lot).

Blossom said:
Peata has posted about a coconut activated charcoal mouth treatment she does and I wondered if that would benefit you? I bet the bleeding gums will resolve when the urination issue does. I think it could be sort of a stress hormone cascade going on. My train can get easily derailed if I'm not attentive to eating right, using certain supplements and attempting to keep stress minimal. I may be reading way more into this than is actually going on but I do think if your not already focusing on salt it would be a good place to start. :2cents

I'll look up activated charcoal, thanks! What supplements do you take for keeping stress minimal? I'm pretty sure my cortisol level is higher than optimal as I get stressed and anxious easily.

OP
C

catan

burtlancast said:
Amalgam fillings are known to cause chronic gum bleeding.

burtlancast, I don't have amalgam fillings.

My gums started bleeding when I brush after I started eating Peat. Didn't have this issue when vegetarian nor when low-carb paleo.

OP
C

catan

freal said:
This means you have suboptimal aldosterone and probably also cortisol. I think that that state cannot last forever, all the minerals are going to be flushed from your body until there is nothing left,it can last a few years probably.

If I reduce liquid intake, I can manage to pee a lot less, maybe once every 4-6 hours. I do this for a few days monthly when I need more concentrated urine for ovulation tests. But this takes conscious effort.

My overall health is better than before Peat, but the frequent peeing is the same.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
ammuc said:
Blossom said:

Hi Blossom! How much salt do you use? I've been adding salt, around 1tsp more daily to OJ and foods. I seem to get thirsty when adding salt though. I'm pretty sure it's not UTI, as there are no other symptoms, and my lab results from last Aug and this Jan were clear of infections (and I was still peeing a lot).

Blossom said:

I'll look up activated charcoal, thanks! What supplements do you take for keweping stress minimal? I'm pretty sure my cortisol level is higher than optimal as I get stressed and anxious easily.
For me 1/2 tsp before bed seems important to help with the normal nighttime rise in stress hormones. I was having it with O.J. and egg shell powder but last night I tried it with milk and sugar and liked that combo better. I think niacinamide helps me with stress too and I've been taking that 3 times a day recently. That's just me, I'm sure others do different things that work equally or better than what I do. So regardless of my salt consumption during the day I always have a dose before bed. It did take me a couple days to adjust to the higher salt intake, just FYI. I'm enjoying not having the frequent urination and I think this is what has helped the most in my case anyway. Best of luck to you! By the way, I just put the salt in my mouth and chase it with whatever I'm drinking so my beverage isn't super salty.

Poppyseed13

Hello! I've had both these problems.

For the bleeding gums, Vitamin K-2 has helped eliminate most bleeding. I also swish around a small spoon of coconut oil after flossing and brushing.

The "peeing a lot" is a common problem for many women: I've had it and found several things helped: D-Mannose (many brands on Amazon and IHerb--I use the NOW brand); after starting Peat, the salt helped quite a bit; and lately milk with gelatin has stopped constant night peeing --I don't know why; and of course, the old standby, plain cranberry juice--no extra sugars---drink with carbonated water for a spritzer if difficult to drink straight.

FWIW, I think the constant peeing can be related to drinking a lot of liquids all day, it can be a low-grade cystitis not picked up by tests, it can be a sensitivity to something you are drinking a lot of: teas, juices, even coffee ... brands may make a difference...

It is a frustrating thing to pee all night--very exhausting. I am quite sympathetic and wish you well.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

Blossom

Forum Supporter
FYI- I just read that you shouldn't take the salt like I do so I wanted to pass that along. It was recommended in another post to have a pinch of salt between sips of fluid. I'm not one to pretend to be 100% right and I'm new too and still learning. I will always come correct if I tell someone what I have done and find out it isn't optimal. So there you have it! A pinch of salt between sips of fluid instead of a 1/2 tsp all at once, that about sums it up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals