Dhea - Experiences Females?

sunmountain

Ladies, I'd like to know your experience with DHEA.

I'm taking 5mg at breakfast, and it's really good at helping me pee. I feel a lot less waterlogged. I switched back to DHEA after my pee became cloudy on diamox.

BUT I think it might be causing insomnia. I've been sleeping pretty good for a long time now, but the last few days have trouble falling asleep or night waking. OJ helps sometimes, but last night didn't.

Today my breasts felt a bit tender, so I skipped today's dose and increased progest-e again and now feel fine. Perhaps I'll take 2.5mg tomorrow at breakfast.

What have your experiences been with DHEA, dosage, reason for taking it, did it help, etc.?

thanks

freyasam

How are you doing now with DHEA? I've been considering starting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

DHEA has been something of a wonder supplement for me. It resolved my waterlogging. Within hours of the first dose, I started peeing normally and haven't stopped since. I now take 1mg now and then, though I might experiment at some point with taking it every day and see what my limit is.

I thought it was causing me insomnia, but I was wrong. I have tracked the insomnia back to not eating enough, and am working on that now. When I eat enough, I sleep through the night.

Have you tried DHEA? What was your experience?

freyasam

Good to know it's helped you.

I haven't tried it. I was interested in it because RP suggested I take 5 mg DHEA and small amounts of cytomel to help with blood sugar and weight loss. But I have yet to tolerate any kind of thyroid, so I haven't tried the DHEA. I think I've read it can convert to cortisol, so I've become wary of trying it lately.

burtlancast

Something i've googled about DHEA: (2011)
DHEA modulates endothelial function, reduces inflammation, improves insulin sensitivity, blood flow, cellular immunity, body composition, bone metabolism, sexual function, and physical strength in frailty and provides neuroprotection, improves cognitive function, and memory enhancement. DHEA possesses pleiotropic effects and reduced levels of DHEA and DHEA-S may be associated with a host of pathologies; however, the clinical efficacy of DHEA supplementation in ameliorating patho-physiological symptoms remains to be evaluated.
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)--a precursor steroid or an active hormone in human physiology. - PubMed - NCBI

Snowdrop

Does anyone know what the ideal DHEAS serum level is for females, according to Ray Peat??? I understand that it varies for different age groups?

Thank you!!!

NinaElisa

I discovered Ray Peat ideas this year, after a dieting and overtraining kind of crash at the end of the winter, but had been getting already good results with pregnenolone since last october. I haven't tried progest E yet and I wouldn't like to supplement thyroid, because I suspect I respond very well to light exposure - tanning beds, sun light, red light man's wonderful mini lamps- and good diet.

In 2013 and 2014, I was taking DHEA for "anti-aging". Although I was on a very relaxed year, I remember an unusual well-being in terms of self-confidence, libido, and muscular strengh. The only thing that made me quit DHEA, was a bad acne I got on my chin in the autumn 2014. I was 33 at that time having one capsule of 25 mg per day. Now I am 36 and I miss that wonder woman feeling :P. And I have this crazy impression that while pregnenolone makes me feel more alert or "brainy",with DHEA I felt more powerful and energetic... I consider taking it again, but from I understood here, it is not as positive for women as for men, and also can have bad effects on cortisol... So, I have still many doubts :/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals