Substitute for albuterol

iLoveSugar

I've been avoiding this for the past couple of years due to reading not so great things about it long-term.

Is there something safer in the short term to treat asthma?

cs3000

TheSir

I never understand the reduced breathing. I continuously try this and impossible to sustain. I'm a chronic fast and shallow breather (not by choice).
The point is to do about an hour of gently reduced breathing a day which is enough to program the nervous system to accept a higher co2 setpoint and thus semi-permanently lower your rate of autonomic breathing. In a couple of weeks you should notice a clear difference in your asthma symptoms. Check out the sticky on r/buteyko for more info.

74one

I never understand the reduced breathing. I continuously try this and impossible to sustain. I'm a chronic fast and shallow breather (not by choice).
Buteyko breathing is a complex system you have to learn to understand it but thanks to the internet that wouldn't be hard to do. Beside increasing CO2 I would also suggest checking your bowel function as well as liver and kidney - that is where problems with breathing usually originates. I'd also consider an appointment to a good chiropractor

Last edited:
OP
I

iLoveSugar

Buteyko breathing is a complex system you have to learn to understand it but thanks to the internet that wouldn't be hard to do. Beside increasing CO2 I would also suggest checking your bowel function as well as liver and kidney - that is where problems with breathing usually originates. I'd also consider an appointment to a good chiropractor
My bowels and stomach function is and always has been awful!

rzero

I don't know if epinephrine inhalers like Primatene Mist are any safer but I've found them to be as effective as albuterol. Seemed like they were gone for a while but I see them on Amazon right now.

“It turns out that exercise induces the signs and symptoms of asthma, not only in “asthmatics,” but in normal people too.” Ray Peat

“Exercise increases the incidence of asthma.” -Ray Peat

“The brain’s role in protecting against injury by stress, when it sees a course of action, has a parallel in the differences between concentric (positive, muscle shortening) and eccentric (negative, lengthening under tension) exercise, and also with the differences between innervated and denervated muscles. In eccentric exercise and denervation, less oxygen is used and less carbon dioxide is produced, while lactic acid increases, displacing carbon dioxide, and more fat is oxidized. Prolonged stress similarly decreases carbon dioxide and increases lactate, while increasing the use of fat.” Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals