Joe Rogan, Rhonda Patrick: Ketogenic Diet

aquaman

For the lulz I listened to one of the Rogan podcasts with Dr Rhonda Patrick. Patrick loves the effect of Ketones but doesn't mention anywhere that they are produced out of stress, or the side product of this respiration.

Rogan is absolutely in love with the Ketogenic diet. And they're all SO certain it's the correct diet. Like absolute, 100% certainty. So at least one group is definitely wrong. Which will it be?

The good news is that it will provide a huge, live medical experiment over the next 5-10 years. Rogan has such a far reach. He's saying that lots of top MMA fighters are now doing the diet too, so we'll see the short term performance outcomes of those that are. It's clear that in the short term, people report amazing results, from sleeping better to having more energy, to adding muscle and losing fat.

Ultimately it's about how you feel in the medium to long term, and beyond that avoiding cancer and other metabolic issues. There must be millions doing the Keto diet worldwide so in maybe 10 years we'll have a good understanding of the outcomes.

This video of Ray speaking about Hydroxy form of Ketone Bodies is interesting. The studies the person puts on the video images are useful to look at, and they reference some of the DCA studies I wrote about a few days ago which switches back on Warburg effect:

Queequeg

Man is the most studied lab rat by far. How is it possible that we still don't know what a proper diet is? I suspect it is known but not widely shared.

Sucrates

Rogan is taking NDT and test, depending on how well the test is managed he might be able to significantly impede the amount of damage from his diet/supplement regimen.

I'm not saying it's the keto thing but Joe is looking quite ugly nowadays. He used to be a handsome man! Now he has this weird east european thing going on with his face.

I'm not saying it's the keto thing but Joe is looking quite ugly nowadays. He used to be a handsome man! Now he has this weird east european thing going on with his face.
20170519_182905.jpg

theLaw

Rogan is taking NDT and test, depending on how well the test is managed he might be able to significantly impede the amount of damage from his diet/supplement regimen.

Rogan also regularly ingests and smokes copious amounts of Marijuana, uses a personal isolation tank regularly (literally built into his basement), and is co-owner of Onnit (supplement company), using many of their sups daily.

Onnit-Coupon-Code.png

Certainly holding up better than Alex Jones (Rogan is actually 6 years older)....
Final-Rogan.jpg

It should also be noted that Rogan is always open to new ideas. If we could only get Haidut on his podcast......:darts:

OP
A

aquaman

Rogan is definitely open to new ideas. Haidut or Ray on there would be great - although Rogan's followers would lose their ***t afterwards!

Regarding Dr. Patrick, this and this might be of interest

People always think their own view is right. She's a relatively recent PHD graduate (2012), was first on the Rogan show in 2014, so her experience is not that significant. She did a PHD on serotonin and its link to Vit D! It's weird how certain humans become with a little bit of knowledge.

She doesn't seem to have much open-source writing, it looks like it's behind the paywall of Patreon. I may be wrong, but can't find a blog or much writing, so it's hard to critique her since there's nothing out there with supporting sources/studies to analyse . I don't know if this is out of fear. Ray has all decades of his work out there for the world to see. It seems to me she picked her stance in 2014, and now does everything possible to look for studies to support it. And will continue doing it. She's getting $13,000 a month from her Patreon supporters - being on the Rogan show pays off!

She's definitely taken a clever approach to her marketing. But now she's a business. I don't see how she could now ever reverse her position on nutrition, even if it was shown to be wrong. I've listened to so many of Ray's interviews I've listened to and read articles - His writing is just so amazing. And the fact that he's not linked to a particular doctrine, and he clearly isn't economically aligned to having to push one way the whole time. Patrick seems now totally linked to one methodology, and is now stuck in that.

Rogan is definitely open to new ideas. Haidut or Ray on there would be great - although Rogan's followers would lose their ***t afterwards!

People always think their own view is right. She's a relatively recent PHD graduate (2012), was first on the Rogan show in 2014, so her experience is not that significant. She did a PHD on serotonin and its link to Vit D! It's weird how certain humans become with a little bit of knowledge.

She doesn't seem to have much open-source writing, it looks like it's behind the paywall of Patreon. I may be wrong, but can't find a blog or much writing, so it's hard to critique her since there's nothing out there with supporting sources/studies to analyse . I don't know if this is out of fear. Ray has all decades of his work out there for the world to see. It seems to me she picked her stance in 2014, and now does everything possible to look for studies to support it. And will continue doing it. She's getting $13,000 a month from her Patreon supporters - being on the Rogan show pays off!

She's definitely taken a clever approach to her marketing. But now she's a business. I don't see how she could now ever reverse her position on nutrition, even if it was shown to be wrong. I've listened to so many of Ray's interviews I've listened to and read articles - His writing is just so amazing. And the fact that he's not linked to a particular doctrine, and he clearly isn't economically aligned to having to push one way the whole time. Patrick seems now totally linked to one methodology, and is now stuck in that.

Quality post. Some very good points.

jitsmonkey

Just the sheer fact that people like Joe Rogan, Tim Ferris & Dave Asprey are considered "authoritative sources/resources" should tell you all you need to know.
They and others like them are masters of rhetoric, perfect for a talk show host or guru... terrible if you want accurate information.
Peeps should spend their limited time on this rock on more enjoyable things. But different strokes for.....

J

James IV

Ketosis isn't an on or off thing. Rogan doesn't follow a true ketogenic diet,
Judging by his Facebook posts. He's eating candy, bread, and boozing fairly often. It's a sliding scale. We are always burning varying degrees of ketones, ffa, and sugar. I think keto works best when you have a lot of fat to lose. As you get leaner you will need more carbs to function optimally.
I do think people can use it effectively to lose fat, as long as they don't do PUFA keto, like
Some of the vegans, And they listen to their body and don't try to push deeper into ketosis when their body is telling them to lighten up, which is what I see all the time.
"Vegetables are now giving me carb cravings, so I must cut out vegetables!"

For the record I don't think long term true ketosis is optimal.

Last edited by a moderator:

jitsmonkey

Maybe it's the boldness that's bothering me. I dunno he doesn't look like himself to me.
I'm the last person to defend or speak well of Joe however if you look at the image previously posted with Alex Jones
Joe is 49 Alex is 43
So yeah Joe is doing ok in that regard ;-)

theLaw

Although he focuses on Keto/Paleo protocols, Rogan has also said that one of his meals each day is a huge green smoothie which includes several cloves of garlic along with several powdered sups (Hemp protein).

He's also been promoting the effects of Regenokine:

"Regenokine is a patented procedure that involves drawing blood from a patient and then separating and treating it with heat to concentrate its healing properties. The incubation process takes up to 24 hours, and it stimulates the growth of immune-regulating substances from the body, like tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-1. Once the blood is ready, it's injected directly into the joint or other source of pain. Since the procedure is noninvasive, it carries little risk of side effects like infections and does not require months of physical rehabilitation." - Men's Journal

theLaw

Interesting to note that as a Black Belt in BJJ, Rogan doesn't have the tell-tale cauliflower-ear.

Here's a younger Rogan with hair:

3034165400117597861620.jpg

Vs Joe today:

Joe-Rogan-Body-Measurements-Shoe-Size.jpg

Serious Black

The Rhonda thing bothers me. Discrediting Peats work.

Durianrider-Jimmy-Moore_zpspnaogi7u.jpg

Now I don't like durian rider that much. Too much fear of animal products but High carb > Low carb any day of the week

I also remember trying a ketogenic diet. Lots of coconut oil and beef and stuff. Woke up one morning and couldn't move from bed. Felt completely immobile (and no not sleep paralysis either. I am knowledgeable of that) Panicked so hard and managed to crawl walk my way downstairs. My brain screamed at me to eat an apple. Felt so much better. Whent to research and realised my glucose dropped so low my legs weren't working well anymore. Like runners who bonk. That scared me out of it very quickly. Don't know how these other people do it.

theLaw

The Rhonda thing bothers me. Discrediting Peats work.

Now I don't like durian rider that much. Too much fear of animal products but High carb > Low carb any day of the week

I also remember trying a ketogenic diet. Lots of coconut oil and beef and stuff. Woke up one morning and couldn't move from bed. Felt completely immobile (and no not sleep paralysis either. I am knowledgeable of that) Panicked so hard and managed to crawl walk my way downstairs. My brain screamed at me to eat an apple. Felt so much better. Whent to research and realised my glucose dropped so low my legs weren't working well anymore. Like runners who bonk. That scared me out of it very quickly. Don't know how these other people do it.

You might find this interesting. Member VOS posted about his keto-diet:

My ketone diet

Cheers!:cool:

lol cool so east european = ugly. got it!
You got it!

Some features that i think aren't that great i associate with east europeans. That's just how it is. And i see those features in Joe nowadays.
I don't seriously think he's ugly but he used to be more handsome and i see some weird changes in his face.

I'm not saying all east europeans are ugly. There's also beautiful features i associate with east europeans.