Joe Rogan, Rhonda Patrick: Ketogenic Diet

dbh25

So if more babies are dying at birth, people have heart attacks, strokes, etc. they are not living as long, and less would be dying from cancer. Compared to the high life expectancy countries, where you may die at 82 from cancer.

Motif

He has gut inflammation in the 2nd photo look how much effort he is putting in to flexing/holding all the organs in, you can see the ribs are lifted up but stomach sucked in using diaphragm to hold up the gut compared to the first photo where he more relaxed and rib cage is relaxed and in normal position where it can't be noticed. His nose is folding (witches nose, maybe thats where the eastern european mention comes from) over and I've noticed that with mouth breathers and long distance athletes.

For someone taking testosterone and being active he has obviously lost a lot of muscle mass imagine what he would look like if he stopped the testosterone.

Whatever he is doing is god awfully stressful, if those adrenaline levels came down he would be in hell.

Dave Man Child Asprey, Mark Sisson, Charles Poliquin, Joe Rogan, Tim Ferris and friends are a virus and one needs a strong immune system to keep them at bay.

Best advices for gut inflammation?
I think mine is inflamed too, cause my stomach is bloated a lot

Herbie

I took it on and off for a year and its had longing last effects, 9 months on. Ive seen this line of thinking that it just blocks stress or reduces symptoms as if it all comes flooding back after stopping its use, this is not what I experienced. Moving away from inflammation and stress through many means as well as using cypro will create long lasting benefits. Its good to have on hand and learn when its useful to take to maintain a good state which I think is nice way to use supplements or medications, to be able to receive feedback from the body and know which substance to use to keep things running along nicely.

Motif

I took it on and off for a year and its had longing last effects, 9 months on. Ive seen this line of thinking that it just blocks stress or reduces symptoms as if it all comes flooding back after stopping its use, this is not what I experienced. Moving away from inflammation and stress through many means as well as using cypro will create long lasting benefits. Its good to have on hand and learn when its useful to take to maintain a good state which I think is nice way to use supplements or medications, to be able to receive feedback from the body and know which substance to use to keep things running along nicely.

Interesting. Can you tell me how you know when you need it and when to stop again ?

Spokey

The most horrible gruelling competitive events feature a lot of endurance components. Since running marathons is one of the most awful things you can do voluntarily to your body, then if you're going to do it, you're going to have to do other things to make it possible to survive it or even complete the event. How many endurance athletes are keto? How many of the winners are keto?

Herbie

Interesting. Can you tell me how you know when you need it and when to stop again ?

If my voice starts going up octaves, any teeth sensitivity, noticing sleep quality declining, any bloating, negative thoughts and emotions. I use it as a preventive to keep me in a state which is tranquil, having reference points of memory from being stressed I can observe whats going on and act. I think this is likely what Ray does, if he begins to get symptoms he will use particular substances to keep him in a good state.

yerrag

But my vitals are great, resting heart rate is 52,

Ray Peat believes a high resting heart rate in indicative of good metabolism. 52 is low. You say you are hypothyroid. Do you just take Synthroid all the time or do you have a plan to making your thyroid condition normal? Would a ketogenic diet get in the way of becoming euthyroid?

What is your wake up body temperature and at 5 pm?

boxers

Joe Rogan does his own version of keto and probably goes on and off it from periods of eating crap then back to keto again. He is also on “TRT” and GH and that is why his guy looks like that. He also sees that it is very marketable so I am sure he probably pretends he is keto to push those stupid exogenous ketone products all these fools push as of late.

I have been on keto since 1995 and love it. I am 43 and best shape of my life. I lost 80lbs many years ago, I am stronger in the gym when I am strict keto vs a glucose base fuel/diet. My blood work is stellar and I am in the best shape of my life, not odd looking like Rogan with that GH abdomen.

Most hate/criticism of the keto diet are from those who just don’t want to try or learn and prefer to spread the myths/rumors about the “evil” keto diet.

Yes many MMA guys are keto now, I have friends who own gyms and MMA facilities and many of them are really loving keto.

I actually combine Intermittent fasting with Keto as do many of the people I know and we love it.

The photo about of that fat guy in the stupid shirt, that is Jimmy Moore a keto zealot who has no idea how to do a properly formulated ketogenic diet. He is what we call a ‘butter chugger” not a real keto person. He is a marketing person, nothing more.

At the end of the day, the best diet in the world…….is…. the one you can stick too.

I may try this. What do you usually eat in a day

postman

well it is all just opinion, it's a bit ridiculous to quantify handsomeness with race. Not to mention, he looks like he's in great shape.
Some of you act like humans dont age. He's aged, it happens to everybody. Look at Peat from the 2005 video to the back on tiger trailers. He's aged.
I think the remarks here are overly critical. The puzzle is what rogan uses to remain in such shape at this age.
While we're on the rude subject of peoples looks, I think Rhonda Patrick looks older than her age.

tankasnowgod

A properly formulated ketogenic diet is one that has adequate protein, very low carbs (usually under 30gms) and fat as needed…Keto is NOT a high fat diet (regardless of all those silly books on Amazon.com) it is a LOW carb diet.

Jimmy is obsessed with “controlling hormones” and does not believe at all in CICO (calories in vs calories out) and thinks it is not possible to get fat if all you eat is fat and low protein. He consumes sticks of butter daily (no joke) and fears protein. He is a zealot who now turned into nothing more than a shill for MLM companies. He has a very unhealthy relationship with food and is trying to jump on the keto train and misleads so many people into buying into his nonsense.

He looks horrible (like a fat vegan) because he restricts protein and consumes hundreds an hundreds of grams of fat a day. Very sad.

1 - Hey Jay I don’t recall how I got here lol but I do get weekly emails of various topics and when I see one I like to read or reply but it is not often. I think the 1st time I popped on here was in reply to a keto question.

2 – my macros are around 200-250gms of protein, carbs under 30gms and fat I vary from 50-125gms a day. I do this because I know keto is about 1 and only one macronutrient, carbs. You can eat all the protein or all the fat (or no fat) and you are still keto. I even tested the silly theory and fear of Gluconeogenesis. I consumed up to 500gms of protein a day for a week, I did blood ketone tests 10 times a day and zero negative impact on my ketone levels. This is the biggest fear/myth/misconception with these new keto people that too much protein is “bad” for ketosis. People like Jimmy Moore spread this myth and then you see the result, they are look sickly. Gluconeogenesis is a demand driven process NOT supply and we are not going to alter that by eating more of something.

3 – libido is great unless I do VERY low fat (like a PSMF) from time to time then it can get a little low but as long as I consume adequate fat for hormones I am fine in that area.

4 – my 1st keto diet in early 90’s was basic Atkins but I never got out of the induction phase, I did not add carbs or veggies back in. As I learned more I dabbled with carbs and ever since the mid 90s I have done a CKD (weekly or bi-weekly carb ups). For no other reason than it is fun (fun to eat a box of fruity pebbles) and also for the benefits carbs has on up regulating/normalizing hormones; t3, leptin, ghrelin etc.

But because I am so well fat adapted I really don’t even “get out” of ketosis during my 1 day carb up. I still show blood ketones (albeit very low) and back to normal blood levels the next morning.

Yes those are the “bros” who do keto as a quick fix, it is and has been a lifestyle for me. I lost 80lbs doing this and then totally changed my physique from a fat kid/guy to a guy you would see in the fitness magazines…I still have fat kid genetics so I get fat very easy hence why I do cardio all the damn time. But my vitals are great, resting heart rate is 52, bp is 110/68, cholesterol is like 150? I forget but very low trigs/ldls and good HDL. I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis but 90% of my symptoms are gone and stays that way with keto. I am also hypo thyroid (150mcg Synthroid daily) and I do Intermittent Fasting which I love as much if not MORE than keto...

I know this is an older post, but it's clear the diet you describe isn't a "Keto Diet," at least in the traditional sense of the term. It is certainly a low carb diet. Keto or Ketogenic Diet was usually a term reserved for a specific diet for Epilepsy, which did use even more fat and less protein than an Atkins style diet, and sometimes, even calorie restriction at 90% of maintenance, to keep the body producing ketones constantly. But it usually used 80% of calories from fats, sometimes a little less depending on age of the child or if MCT was used in large quantities.

Jimmy Moore, by "upping the fat" is doing more of a Keto Diet than the diet you describe.

In the past few years, "Keto" has become a buzzword, and most are just repackaged Low Carb diets, and low carb diets will likely produce ketosis at some point intermittently, if done long and consistently enough.

postman

I know this is an older post, but it's clear the diet you describe isn't a "Keto Diet," at least in the traditional sense of the term. It is certainly a low carb diet. Keto or Ketogenic Diet was usually a term reserved for a specific diet for Epilepsy, which did use even more fat and less protein than an Atkins style diet, and sometimes, even calorie restriction at 90% of maintenance, to keep the body producing ketones constantly. But it usually used 80% of calories from fats, sometimes a little less depending on age of the child or if MCT was used in large quantities.

Jimmy Moore, by "upping the fat" is doing more of a Keto Diet than the diet you describe.

In the past few years, "Keto" has become a buzzword, and most are just repackaged Low Carb diets, and low carb diets will likely produce ketosis at some point intermittently, if done long and consistently enough.
A keto diet just means that you're eating a diet that keeps you in a ketogenic state. Gluconeogenesis is demand driven, not supply driven. What you are talking baout is CKD, Classical Ketogenic Diet.

D

Deleted member 5487

I believe fat is underrated on here.

Once I switched from 1%->2%, eating more butter with eggs, having 1/3 pint of haggendazz at night and eating liver pattee with alot of butter My libido tripled and dropped like 8lbs.

Starch is so unnecessary, as is excess carbs. Just need some apple juice for liver glycogen, and some simple sugar in your milk, honey, OJ, and your glycogen is topped off.

If your a collegiate athlete doing 4 hours of working out a day, then yes please eat 2 potatos/rice with every meal. Everyone else should be slow burning saturated fat while they sit at the office/desk./house. Providing enough sugar for glycogen and brain function

Joe says things about "sugar" that are factually wrong and he is overweight for his height. No he doesn't have all muscle. He has some fat. Nothing wrong with some fat but it makes him sound silly because he claims sugar turns to fat and he avoids sugar and eats keto but yet still has excess fat stores. And he claims to eat keto but doesn't even know what true ketosis even is. Is his tongue coated white everyday from acetone? No. Then he's not in ketosis.
But he went on the carnivore diet and got super shredded