Strong Endotoxin Symptoms Despite Eating Clean And Peaty

There is no way to directly test for brain serotonin or dopamine in humans without killing then and dissecting their brains. You can test for metabolite but that doesn't show you actual neurotransmitter levels.

I would look at prolactin then. Very good surrogate to intra cellular dopamine/serotonin levels

tara

I have symptoms of endotoxin overload despite eating zero fermentable carbs (or complex carbs at all). My diet consists of strained orange juice, plenty of low lactose milk products (cheese, curd, some fresh raw milk), mexican cola, eggs and occasional meat.
What makes you think your symptoms are from endotoxin?
What is your gut transit speed like?
Taking a bunch of foods out of your diet in the theoritical hope that it will reduce endotoxin may not work if gut transit worsens so that the microbes get to hang around for longer.

... certain herbs and spices like ginger and garlic and onion that help digestion ...
:)

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

What makes you think your symptoms are from endotoxin?
What is your gut transit speed like?
Taking a bunch of foods out of your diet in the theoritical hope that it will reduce endotoxin may not work if gut transit worsens so that the microbes get to hang around for longer.
My transit time is usually 48 hours, maybie more. Definitely not good. Have tried increasing it with no luck. Even pharmaceutical prokinetics don't help.

Never tought about it like this. Do you think it might be actually better to include some fiber in my diet, because it might increase the transit time, and the benefits of this will outweight the cons?

tara

My transit time is usually 48 hours, maybie more. Definitely not good. Have tried increasing it with no luck. Even pharmaceutical prokinetics don't help.

Never tought about it like this. Do you think it might be actually better to include some fiber in my diet, because it might increase the transit time, and the benefits of this will outweight the cons?
I think 48 hours sounds a bit slow, and that could contribute to issues.
What have you tried for improving it? I would be aiming to reduce transit time - speed it up - I guess that's what you mean.
Different things work for different people. Peat has suggested trying carrot salad or boiled bamboo shoots for fibre. But if they haven't worked for you, maybe something else will.

Have you read his article about laxatives, aged cascara sagrada etc? Cascara sagrada can help reduce gut inflamation, increasing lumen size in the process.
Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.

Some people have found useful advice from this guy, who has other ways to address gut transit without excess fibre:
How to end the nightmare of colorectal disorders before they end you

Personally, I eat a fair bit of fruit and veges, and sometimes well cooked oat porridge, all of which supply fibre. I seldom get constipation, but I have occasionally, and resorted to a small amount of cascara sagrada, and my recent habits of supplementing vit-C and Mg are probably contributing to keeping it all moving.
For endotoxin, at various times I've eaten garlic, carrot salad, activated charcoal (may need cascara sagrada to counteract constipating effect). Don't know if any of those would be relevant for you.

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I think 48 hours sounds a bit slow, and that could contribute to issues.
What have you tried for improving it? I would be aiming to reduce transit time - speed it up - I guess that's what you mean.
Different things work for different people. Peat has suggested trying carrot salad or boiled bamboo shoots for fibre. But if they haven't worked for you, maybe something else will.

Have you read his article about laxatives, aged cascara sagrada etc? Cascara sagrada can help reduce gut inflamation, increasing lumen size in the process.
Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.

Some people have found useful advice from this guy, who has other ways to address gut transit without excess fibre:
How to end the nightmare of colorectal disorders before they end you

Personally, I eat a fair bit of fruit and veges, and sometimes well cooked oat porridge, all of which supply fibre. I seldom get constipation, but I have occasionally, and resorted to a small amount of cascara sagrada, and my recent habits of supplementing vit-C and Mg are probably contributing to keeping it all moving.
For endotoxin, at various times I've eaten garlic, carrot salad, activated charcoal (may need cascara sagrada to counteract constipating effect). Don't know if any of those would be relevant for you.
haha, yes I mean increase transit speed, of course. :D

I have read the articles on Konstantin's pages. Everything he says 100% mirrors my experience. Have implemented some of his advice over the last couple of days and I'm really curious about the results. Thank you very much for pointing me to this website!

I have symptoms of endotoxin overload despite eating zero fermentable carbs (or complex carbs at all). My diet consists of strained orange juice, plenty of low lactose milk products (cheese, curd, some fresh raw milk), mexican cola, eggs and occasional meat.

Pharmaceutical antibiotics doesn't help, natural antibiotics doesn't help, carrot salad doesn't help, prokinetics doesn't help, the only thing that helps for a while is when I eat something bad and get diarrhea (sorry).

It is actually getting worse over time and I'm getting desperate.

Is there anything else I could try to stop the body from producing endotoxin?

I have a hunch that it comes from the junkfood,like the OJ and the milg.Mind to try eating normally and not so excentric,like a lot of meat,ripe fruit,gelatine,supps,Potato,Butter,Oysters.Peat but without the weird foodchoices.No one i know 'eats' milk and OJ,it seems weird to me when i tried,stomach issues were to be had too,of course.

Thank you for all your posts, Hans! Your posts and your article about cortisol, where you touch on the leaky gut a bit, are incredibly helpful and much appreciated!

Bloating, nausea and poor digestion are the most prominent symptoms, but also brain fog and troubles concentrating, depression, fatigue, excessive mucus everywhere in the body, flushing, dry mouth, dry skin, various aches all over the body, water retention...

My body is definitely struggling with curds! Any food, that have curd-like consistency, will cause intense nausea and will lay in my stomach for ages. Is that a symptom of low stomach acid?

I suspect low stomach acid for a long time, but anything that should increase stomach acid is causing me unbearable and immediate flare-up of my symptoms.

I think I'm digesting whey protein the best and casein the worst, with egg and meat proteins somewhere inbetween.

EDIT: The worst symptom after years of struggling with this is the liver damage :(

Eggyolk lecithins are powerful in regard to barrier-repair,do you have a background of SAD-dieting or what did you eat before Peat,what got better and what got worse?And if you cant stop the milkbased stuff,maybe switch to completely sterilized sources like UHT milk and cheeses?it is really the weird protein behavior of milk proteins in your stomach,i believe it is used by the mothercow to initiate bacterial colonisation,but,as we arent cows,maybe we get colonised by the wrong organisms?Soil Bacteria are bad.Stomach issues are rampant on this forum,and it comes from continuing reinfection by infectious milk.A lot of people cant handle milk,and it isnt their fault.Milk sounds good on paper,like a lot of things do.Peat diet is about composition and macro/micro-cut,not foodchoices imo.

Last edited:

Vins7

Staying away from inflammatory foods, foods high in histamine, hard to digest, got lots of resistant starches or lots of roughage like raw salads.

You don't have to quit with meat if you do well on it, however some people tend to do better on white meat vs red meat because the red meat is harder to digest.
Thanks Hans. What are the main foods high in histamin? I think if I remove all kind of starches (fue to digestión), in addition to foods high in histamin (I don't know really well what are them), I don't know what to know as a carbs...

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks Hans. What are the main foods high in histamin? I think if I remove all kind of starches (fue to digestión), in addition to foods high in histamin (I don't know really well what are them), I don't know what to know as a carbs...
Mostly older food, cured meat, fermented food, etc. Fresh food has the least histamine.

baccheion

Intermittent fasting lowers bacteria count. Iodine protocol. Ensuring a faster bowel transit time. Keeping melatonin and DHEA at the level of a 25 year old, unless younger. Vitamin D sufficiency. Fat-soluble vitamins. Coconut oil.

Last edited:

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
well people often drink that orange juice on its own, don’t they? It’s useful to point out that protein should be had with every meal for dopamine.

I think you’ve got it wrong with low carb. Those diets are typically high protein diets. Yes fat increases serotonin but that will be offset. Besides, carbs increase it much more than fats do. It is far more common to find people eating pure glucose/fructose meals than pure fat, although some of those keto lunatics seem to enjoy drinking heavy cream lol.

The influence of meal composition on plasma serotonin and norepinephrine concentrations. - PubMed - NCBI

Tfw I enjoy drinking heavy cream and half-and-half

Hgreen56

Read the article

- when he discovered that while sugar water, a stand-in for soda, caused inflammation, orange juice—even though it contains plenty of suga

- The non-juice drinkers, half of whom drank sugar water, and the other half plain water, had the expected response—inflammation and elevated blood sugar.

- But the OJ drinkers had neither elevated blood sugar nor inflammation.

- But a high-sugar diet can produce endotoxemia, fatty liver, and metabolic syndrome in animals. So that’s yet another reason to avoid refined, sugary foods.

- Before cheap sugar became widely available, plaque microbes probably occupied the warm and inviting ecological niche of your mouth more peaceably. But dump a load of sugar on them, and certain species expand exponentially. Their by-product—acid—which, in normal amounts, protects you from foreign bacteria—now corrodes your teeth. A once cooperative relationship becomes antagonistic. Something similar may occur with our gut microbes when they’re exposed to the highly refined, sweet, and greasy junk-food diet. They may turn against us.

Tagged with Ray peat

Vins7

So, is Danny Roddy and some Peter wrong about eating as much refined sugar?

Hgreen56

So, is Danny Roddy and some Peter wrong about eating as much refined sugar?
research shows that sugars from food/fruit react differently in the body than refined sugar.
So why some people here eats lots of table sugar or drinking coke for example is is a mystery to me.

Pharmaceutical antibiotics doesn't help, natural antibiotics doesn't help, carrot salad doesn't help, prokinetics doesn't help, the only thing that helps for a while is when I eat something bad and get diarrhea (sorry).

It is actually getting worse over time and I'm getting desperate.

Is there anything else I could try to stop the body from producing endotoxin?
hey @JanP Focus on reducing transit time. Shoot for 2x poops per day.

Effective transit time reduction protocol:
- 1 raw carrot daily (morning/night)
- 1/4 tsp cascara sagrada (morning/night)
- 6x tbsp cacao powder

The above caused me to have much shorter transit times, thus reducing endotoxin symptoms. I think it's important to have these things multiple times per day.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

hey @JanP Focus on reducing transit time. Shoot for 2x poops per day.

Effective transit time reduction protocol:
- 1 raw carrot daily (morning/night)
- 1/4 tsp cascara sagrada (morning/night)
- 6x tbsp cacao powder

The above caused me to have much shorter transit times, thus reducing endotoxin symptoms. I think it's important to have these things multiple times per day.
What a coincidence, I was thinking of bumping this thread just today.

I'm just experimenting with cascara and one dose shrinks my belly by 2-3 inches in the matter of hours. Nothing else gave me such a huge relief. It is incredible.

Sadly, once I stop the supplementation, my stomach distention always returns to baseline, also in matter of hours.

I need to try cocoa powder asap. Thank you for this post!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals