Starch free dinner for family ideas

Angel45

Butternut squash fries and cod fish chunks dipped in egg and battered in seasoned corn starch, deep fried in coconut oil. The corn starch is just a thin covering so you won't get to much. It's great for friday nights not more than 1x a week. I do this with chicken and beef to make a mock panda dish and add a sweet chili sauce to flavor the fried meat...lol

Lollipop2

I am still at substituting for heavy cream but now in desserts: I've used condensed milk (1:1) for heavy cream in a ganache recipe. Tuned out good even though I've skimped on butter. The latter affected only consistency but not taste much, I figured.

I substitute unsweetened coconut milk for milk in (canned) oyster stew. And often add coconut milk to make my tomato sauce creamier, such as for meatballs. Note that a splash of vinegar or lemon juice added is better for taste when coconut milk is used this way.

I often substitute part of the butter for coconut oil (leaving butter for taste mostly). Note that I use refined or hydrogenated coconut oil.

Sometimes, I substitute vinegar for lemon juice concentrate (1:1).

Oh, and another important substitute, when a recipe calls for almond slices, as in almond-cracker cookies, I use shredded coconut with a bit less sugar.
Aaahhh...now I understand your substitutions! I tend to stick with dairy over coconut oil or coconut milk as I think they work way better for my body. The sweetened condensed milk is fabulous and good idea for substitution. I think the coconut substitutions can be great for people with dairy problems.

I tend to always use fresh so would never buy lemon concentrate. I simply juice lemons.

Honestly, I was thinking about it last night and I realized with the choice to avoid PUFA oils and beans nuts most grains, the addition of occasional white jasmine rice, potatoes, corn tortillas, and occasional oats makes food very easy to make and gives lots of options. Many people struggle over food and what to eat and it really isn’t necessary. There are so many options.

Great idea for subbing coconut shredded instead of almonds! I think shredded coconut works so well with baking.

When I looked at tons of recipes, I started noticing that it is easy to have good food by simply switching out the oils and nuts and most beans and grains. Yummmy....I am gathering my recipes and one day want to put them out for others.

Butternut squash fries and cod fish chunks dipped in egg and battered in seasoned corn starch, deep fried in coconut oil. The corn starch is just a thin covering so you won't get to much. It's great for friday nights not more than 1x a week. I do this with chicken and beef to make a mock panda dish and add a sweet chili sauce to flavor the fried meat...lol
Here are a couple of mine. I often stuff peppers of anykind with leftover meats and cheeses, add salsa, verde, enchilada or bbq sauce, onions, shredded white carrot or whatever, bake it on parchment paper on 375° for 25 minutes or so for large ones and less for smaller ones and serve it with some mango or other fruits.

Attachments

• 20210411_145605.jpg
    20210411_145605.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201003_153929.jpg
    20201003_153929.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 20
....here is another one I made two nights ago....
For those that eat little or no starch, what does a typical family friendly dinner look like?

Attachments

• 20210416_214559.jpg
    20210416_214559.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 26

Lollipop2

Here are a couple of mine. I often stuff peppers of anykind with leftover meats and cheeses, add salsa, verde, enchilada or bbq sauce, onions, shredded white carrot or whatever, bake it on parchment paper on 375° for 25 minutes or so for large ones and less for smaller ones and serve it with some mango or other fruits.
Hi @Rinse & rePeat!

Your food looks amazing! You are inspiring me to photo my food more often :): Thanks for that.

Hi @Rinse & rePeat!

Your food looks amazing! You are inspiring me to photo my food more often :): Thanks for that.
I started photographing my food because I got tired of feel like a deer in the headlight always having to think of what to cook. I put them all in a file on my phone to refer to when i need inspiration :)

I started photographing my food because I got tired of feel like a deer in the headlight always having to think of what to cook. I put them all in a file on my phone to refer to when i need inspiration :)
Thank you for the kind words! That inspired me too ?

Jennifer

Here are some low-starch recipes I posted in an other thread...

Turnip fries:

Jicama fries:

Zucchini manicotti:

Zucchini lasagna:

Eggplant parmesan:

Crustless quiche:

Lisa’s Yummy Meatloaf:

LOL You’re too cute, Lisa. Love the title!

For those that eat little or no starch, what does a typical family friendly dinner
For those that eat little or no starch, what does a typical family friendly dinner look like?

Thank you for the kind words! That inspired me too ?

I started photographing my food because I got tired of feel like a deer in the headlight always having to think of what to cook. I put them all in a file on my phone to refer to when i need

For those that eat little or no starch, what does

I started photographing my food because I got tired of feel like a deer in the headlight always having to think of what to cook. I put them all in a file on my phone to refer to when i need inspiration. Thank you for the compliment, it inspired me too ?

Sorry for the double post I am trying to get the hang of how this site works. ..

Lollipop2

Here are some low-starch recipes I posted in an other thread...

Turnip fries:

Jicama fries:

Zucchini manicotti:

Zucchini lasagna:

Eggplant parmesan:

Crustless quiche:

LOL You’re too cute, Lisa. Love the title!
These look awesome @Jennifer!! LoL...I forgot my name on here is Lollipop2. I am a bit strange but love love love my cooking! I think because I experiment and tweak until I feel it is super yummy. Then in a tiny bit of Victory I claim it on the title :):

Hey hope you are well! ❤️

Lollipop2

Great idea! Your posts of the last few days are fun! Hey I also love grasslandbeef.com. I didn’t even think about boneless oxtail. Fantastic idea. Going to experiment with that :):

Great idea! Your posts of the last few days are fun! Hey I also love grasslandbeef.com. I didn’t even think about boneless oxtail. Fantastic idea. Going to experiment with that :):
Oxtails have become my favorite "go-to" meat with so many was to incorporate them into meals. The GrasslandBeef boneless beef short ribs are a great find too! They are good roasted on a foil lined pan on 275° for 2.5+ hours then I eat them right then salted or with bbq sauce and refrigerate the rest for easier slicing (against the grain) or cubing for those stuffed peppers, machaca or whatever!

Lollipop2

Oxtails have become my favorite "go-to" meat with so many was to incorporate them into meals. The GrasslandBeef boneless beef short ribs are a great find too! They are good roasted on a foil lined pan on 275° for 2.5+ hours then I eat them right then salted or with bbq sauce and refrigerate the rest for easier slicing (against the grain) or cubing for those stuffed peppers, machaca or whatever!
Yummmmmy! Thank you for the tips!

Jennifer

These look awesome @Jennifer!! LoL...I forgot my name on here is Lollipop2. I am a bit strange but love love love my cooking! I think because I experiment and tweak until I feel it is super yummy. Then in a tiny bit of Victory I claim it on the title :):

Hey hope you are well! ❤️

Thanks, Lisa! ❤️ I’m feeling pretty amazing these days. I hope you are, too! I think it’s great that you love your cooking. I’m super passionate about the food I consume so I totally understand.

gaze

if i was a kid and all i had for dinner was meat+ juice while all my friends had pizza, pasta, rice, etc i'd be pretty upset. is it even safe for kids to go no starch? do they need the insulin to grow?

Angel45

if i was a kid and all i had for dinner was meat+ juice while all my friends had pizza, pasta, rice, etc i'd be pretty upset. is it even safe for kids to go no starch? do they need the insulin to grow?
My son did starch free for over a year when he was younger and it definitely had some negatives. The biggest draw back was having a hard time going to sleep and constipation. Later found out that some kids with mitochondrial disorders and seizures need starch at bedtime to help them go to sleep and make it through the night.

tara

I would be cautious about restricting a child's diet to remove starch. I certainly wouldn't be confident that it would do them good, and it might do harm.
How about making starch-free meals if that's what you want to try for yourself, and then offering rice or potatoes etc on the side if they want?

Lejeboca

Hi @Lejeboca!
I ask the butcher to combine organs in my ground beef. Liver etc. So good. Here is my meatloaf recipe and sauce. Instead of bread it uses oats. You could try without the oats but it sort of helps hold the loaf together and they disappear in the final product - you don’t even know they are there. I love it:

Lisa’s Yummy Meatloaf:

Ingredients:
2 tbls butter
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 pounds ground beef
2 large eggs, beaten
cup uncooked regular oats
1/4 cup chili sauce (I bought an organic one from Whole Foods - Peat Friendly)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Meatloaf Sauce (recipe below)

Instructions:
*Sauté in butter all the garlic green bell pepper and onion for a few min to soften.
*Combine 1/2 of the onion mixture, ground beef, eggs, oats, chili sauce, sea salt.
*Shape into a loaf.
*Place in a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan. I use butter to grease pan.

*Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. *Remove from oven, and pour off pan juices.
*Spread half of Meat Loaf Sauce evenly over meat loaf.
*Bake 25 more minutes.
*Remove from pan.
*Serve with remaining Meat Loaf Sauce.

Meat Loaf Sauce

Ingredients

1/2 of the onion mixture sautéed above
3/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

*Mix everything together and cook on low until the sauce thickens to your preference. You might even want to add more chili sauce.

Interesting you should mention corn bread as I am currently trying to get a good one. Mine have been okay but not to my full satisfaction. I will let you know when I succeed.

Substitutions:

I have found Peat friendly items for pretty much every product.

For soy sauce, I use Coconut Aminos with some salt (tends to be sweet) I like to use in my chicken fried rice.

For dairy:
Instead of cream look for “whipping cream - I have seen it in regular stores that is clean.
You might can use half and half in some recipes and you should be able to find it clean.
I have also used full fat Greek yogurt plain. It should be clean.

Brands that are good:
*Fage has sour cream with no bad additives.
*Good has cottage cheese that has no bad additives - their sour cream does unfortunately.
*Nancy’s has all of her products with no bad additives: cream, sour cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese, etc.
*Maple Hill
*Look for local products

You are correct milk and gelatin wouldn’t work well in a lot of recipes.

Do you have any other substitutions you need? My mind is drawing a blank - lol.

Made half a portion of this meatloaf. Tasted really good! :thankyou
Would you let me know please whether it looks anything like yours (I am not good at food staging for presentation)?
1619318758326.png

This was my first time cooking meat (beyond chicken breast) in the oven. Could you tell me what you do with "pan juices" that I poured off? Also since it was 1/2 of a portion. I've reduced the baking time to 30 and 15 min for two "bakes", respectively. It turned out well-cooked and not too dry. What times would you suggest for half portion? Thanks!

Sorry couldn't resist a couple of alterations off-the-bat, so to speak: I skipped the bell peppers and made the chili sauce myself. I also finely cut oats and added dried oregano. I was tempted to start playing with the recipe more but resisted. Am glad I did: It goes into my recipe book "as is"!

Well, hope I didn't derail the thread too much with my questions and raves :):

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals