Combining Starch with Frutis (for hypoglycemia)

Tcrazyjam

I know a lot of people who cannot handle a peatarian diet with a lot of fruits.
Now, i do a high carb diet with a lot of starch. Now i am asking myself, wether starch is fattaning if i combine it with fruits (little fructose)? Like eating potatoes with 10 gr Honey?
So lets say in our example you eat 3-4 meals and 2 meals with starch. So can i add there 10 gr of honey?

I allways combine starch with proteins (along with gelatin).

Zachs

Fructose is not fattening, turning sugar into fat is a last resort of sorts after filling glycogen stores, increasing stores and elevating metabolism to dissipate excess energy. Only if you add fat on top will it become fattening.

Personally i do a lot of both starch and fruit and also a lot of honey, maple syrup and sugar. I actually lost 30lbs eating 3k calories of only that stuff...

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Zachs,

ok. But actually peat himself says to combine starch with fat (along with protein). I read his article starch, sugar in context. As i understood, he was analyzing studies where only starch was given. Many of them where done on rats.

But actually i do not found a study combining starch and fructose (in the form of fruits). The scientist are only interested in, isolating a part (like starch or fhcs).

And i truely believe that HC is the way to go. Eating once a week liver, shellfish, 2-3 Eggs (for AA).

johns74

I saw a study with fructose and starch. They found that consuming fructose before eating a potato meal reduces the insulin secretion induced by the potato meal.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Johns74,
very good information. is this study examined on rats or humans? Can you provide more information please? The insulin secretion is reduced - why?
Is it isolated fructose, hfcs?
Hoch much fructose?
Is reduction in insulin significant?

If you are interested in some fructose+starch studies, i will look myself for studies later

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

freedom
thanks, that is allready known, because it is sugar vs. starch, but the combination of both were not examined. You have also go into details, methodically/ study design. You have also check the Dose–response relationship, in order to evaluate whether just "some" honey, like a tablespoon, makes a difference.

So practically spoken, you are able to eat 1 tablespoon of honey (or even more), while preparing your ray peat - french fries with coconut oil

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

very good, 25 % ~30 mins before 50 gr starch meal.
yeah, 200 g apple = 10 gr fructose.
i was surprised that honey is low in fructose,
it has only 1/3. So you have to eat 30 gr honey! WoW!
How do you interprete this study:

1.) makes 25 % reduction in insulin a difference? it is also isolated starch, right? without fatty acids
2.) is there a dose-response? so, you have to eat more fructose for lets say the double amount, 100 g starch?

johns74

Your second question is interesting.

Also, too bad they didn't do 10 or 15 minutes before the meal. That's more practical than half an hour. I wonder if coca cola or orange juice would work, probably.

It wasn't isolated starch, it was mashed potatoes.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

yep, sorry - indead it is whole food experiment on the one side (starch), unfortunaly isolated fructose on the other... I think, a "big" fruit, like 200 gr apple induces a different insulin reaction than fructose/hcfs alone,

a typical apple, 100 gr:
11 gr carbs:
2 gr glucose
6 gr fructose
x gr fiber, etc. (di & polysaccharides)

for example fiber can slow insulin, i assume. "Maybe" the reduction of insulin response after the starchmeal is stronger, than fructose alone

tara

That sounds like an exceptional apple - varieties vary, but I thought most were between 50:50 and 40:60 glucose:fructose?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals