Starch free dinner for family ideas

Beastmode

You can do a lot with masa harina. Stovetop and oven recipes work great. It's recommended by Peat all the time as a carb source and is very filling. I use about a cup of it per day for cooking.

Lejeboca

You can do a lot with masa harina. Stovetop and oven recipes work great. It's recommended by Peat all the time as a carb source and is very filling. I use about a cup of it per day for cooking.

Is it for cooking something like tortillas or cornbread? Or are you just adding it to other recipes for nutrition and taste?

lampofred

Either milk only or OJ with eggs. On special days (like birthdays) I scramble the eggs for my kids instead of raw. My wife can't handle raw eggs, so she cooks hers every night. For variety she alternates between cooking the eggs with coconut oil vs butter.

Lollipop2

Made half a portion of this meatloaf. Tasted really good! :thankyou
Would you let me know please whether it looks anything like yours (I am not good at food staging for presentation)?

This was my first time cooking meat (beyond chicken breast) in the oven. Could you tell me what you do with "pan juices" that I poured off? Also since it was 1/2 of a portion. I've reduced the baking time to 30 and 15 min for two "bakes", respectively. It turned out well-cooked and not too dry. What times would you suggest for half portion? Thanks!

Sorry couldn't resist a couple of alterations off-the-bat, so to speak: I skipped the bell peppers and made the chili sauce myself. I also finely cut oats and added dried oregano. I was tempted to start playing with the recipe more but resisted. Am glad I did: It goes into my recipe book "as is"!

Well, hope I didn't derail the thread too much with my questions and raves :):
How delicious it looks @Lejeboca! ❤️

Yes similar to mine. I had a tiny bit more sauce on top but that is all. Yes this meatloaf is sooo good and simple anyone can make for the first time and love it.

Your timings sound spot on. This is definitely not a dry meatloaf so you captured its true spirit :):

WoW your own chili sauce, Go Lejeboca. Congratulations on your fabulous meatloaf.

Beastmode

Is it for cooking something like tortillas or cornbread? Or are you just adding it to other recipes for nutrition and taste?
You can definitely do them those ways. I typically make a pizza using the masa mixed with an egg, water, sugar and salt until it forms to a nice dough. Add whatever you want on top and bake at 450 until desired crust and it's amazing.

Lejeboca

You can definitely do them those ways. I typically make a pizza using the masa mixed with an egg, water, sugar and salt until it forms to a nice dough. Add whatever you want on top and bake at 450 until desired crust and it's amazing.
Thanks! Sounds interesting. I will try a pizza like this.

We cook the meat and starch components separately, low carb recipes are good for this ;-) I'm more particular starch than low starch, but principle would be the same. So there is a bit of something for everyone. A typical dinner is like Salisbury steak (from a low carb recipe), mac n cheese and squash and maybe a vegetable. I don't eat mac n cheese, some of the kids don't eat squash, hubby doesn't eat veggies :happy: it works. If I were lowering starch, I would probably have more fruit sauces (like applesauce, pear sauce) or more dessertish fruit compotes with the meal. Pretty sure the kids would like that option being available.
I am doing the same as you LucyL separating carbs and proteins, but now applying Ray Peat's advice and having the meats during day and starches and fats at night. Here was my newest dinner invention, two nights ago, and everyone liked it better than the noodles! The leftovers were just as addicting the next day!
We cook the meat and starch components separately, low carb recipes are good for this ;-) I'm more particular starch than low starch, but principle would be the same. So there is a bit of something for everyone. A typical dinner is like Salisbury steak (from a low carb recipe), mac n cheese and squash and maybe a vegetable. I don't eat mac n cheese, some of the kids don't eat squash, hubby doesn't eat veggies :happy: it works. If I were lowering starch, I would probably have more fruit sauces (like applesauce, pear sauce) or more dessertish fruit compotes with the meal. Pretty sure the kids would like that option being available.

Attachments

• 20210424_124159.jpg
    20210424_124159.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 28

tankasnowgod

- 3 lb beef stew meat cooked for 15 min in the instant pot, drain and cover with one bottle of KC Natural Mastodon (or homemade sweet and sour sauce) sauce and baked pineapple drizzled with coconut aminos (I use canned and try to rinse off the ascorbic acid). My husband has cottage cheese and milk with this, I have a fruit smoothie and egg shell for calcium.

- pulled chicken ( we don't eat pork)... Bake chicken, shred. Saute some onion and celery. Combine and smother in Mastodon sauce (or BBQ) and coconut oil. Baked apples on the side (or fresh if you find them truly ripe). Same calcium sides as above.

- chicken stir fry... Saute some onion, celery, carrot, greens, bamboo shoots (cook till mushy) in coconut oil and coconut aminos. Add in a couple scrambled eggs and pre cooked shredded chicken, add more coconut aminos and oil to saturate every thing and cook on low a few more mins to combine all the flavors. Carrot salad instead of rice on the side Same calcium sides as above.

- coconut wraps... Fat free turkey slices plus cheese. Pickles and carrot salad on the side. Fruit compote on the side (usually cherries and peaches). My husband will have greek yogurt with the compote, I eat it plain, maybe sprinkle on some cinnamon.

- tuna salad... Fat free canned tuna, plus Choosen foods "Keto" mayonnaise (it's made with MCT oil, no PUFA, 'keto' is such a gimmick these days lol), add some chopped green onion or chives, lots of salt. Carrot salad and ripe apple as a side. I would have sugary, creamy coffee with this. If my nieces/nephews were over I'd give them hot chocolate or chocolate milk shakes. (Edit...) We have freeze dried carrots with this or else carrot sticks.

- zucchini noodles mixed with ground beef, italian style... Cook both on stove top, combine, add a jar of spaghetti sauce and voila! Cottage cheese on the side and fruit.

- also we make chicken soup frequently.. cook chicken, separate, put the bones and skin back in the instant pot for 1.5 hour, cook veggies, drain broth, combine and heat.

Oh man, some of those sound good. I'll have to give that stew meat a try.

LucyL

I am doing the same as you LucyL separating carbs and proteins, but now applying Ray Peat's advice and having the meats during day and starches and fats at night. Here was my newest dinner invention, two nights ago, and everyone liked it better than the noodles! The leftovers were just as addicting the next day!
That looks yummy! Do you have a recipe for it?

That looks yummy! Do you have a recipe for it?
I just made up a macaroni and cheese sauce with butter, a couple of tablespoons of heirloom flour, whole milk and sharp cheddar, and poured it over small cubed peeled potatoes, slice parsnips, broken up broccoli and spring onion (green onion) white and green parts. I hesitated to use a lot of regular onion since they put out a lot liquid unlike the green ones. I figured the small potatoes would put off enough starch to thicken it like scalloped potatoes. I covered it with foil, cooking it in a buttered glass dish, on 350 for 40 minutes then took the foil off and cooked it till tender and thick. At the last 5 minutes I sprinkled on a few French's fried onions, not "Peaty" or necessary, and they do sell gluten free ones at Costco. It was so sweet and the cheddar flavor came through more than bland macaroni.

Lejeboca

Hi @Lejeboca!
I ask the butcher to combine organs in my ground beef. Liver etc. So good. Here is my meatloaf recipe and sauce. Instead of bread it uses oats. You could try without the oats but it sort of helps hold the loaf together and they disappear in the final product - you don’t even know they are there. I love it:

Lisa’s Yummy Meatloaf:

Ingredients:
2 tbls butter
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 pounds ground beef
2 large eggs, beaten
cup uncooked regular oats
1/4 cup chili sauce (I bought an organic one from Whole Foods - Peat Friendly)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Meatloaf Sauce (recipe below)

Instructions:
*Sauté in butter all the garlic green bell pepper and onion for a few min to soften.
*Combine 1/2 of the onion mixture, ground beef, eggs, oats, chili sauce, sea salt.
*Shape into a loaf.
*Place in a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan. I use butter to grease pan.

*Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. *Remove from oven, and pour off pan juices.
*Spread half of Meat Loaf Sauce evenly over meat loaf.
*Bake 25 more minutes.
*Remove from pan.
*Serve with remaining Meat Loaf Sauce.

Meat Loaf Sauce

Ingredients

1/2 of the onion mixture sautéed above
3/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

*Mix everything together and cook on low until the sauce thickens to your preference. You might even want to add more chili sauce.

Interesting you should mention corn bread as I am currently trying to get a good one. Mine have been okay but not to my full satisfaction. I will let you know when I succeed.

Substitutions:

I have found Peat friendly items for pretty much every product.

For soy sauce, I use Coconut Aminos with some salt (tends to be sweet) I like to use in my chicken fried rice.

For dairy:
Instead of cream look for “whipping cream - I have seen it in regular stores that is clean.
You might can use half and half in some recipes and you should be able to find it clean.
I have also used full fat Greek yogurt plain. It should be clean.

Brands that are good:
*Fage has sour cream with no bad additives.
*Good has cottage cheese that has no bad additives - their sour cream does unfortunately.
*Nancy’s has all of her products with no bad additives: cream, sour cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese, etc.
*Maple Hill
*Look for local products

You are correct milk and gelatin wouldn’t work well in a lot of recipes.

Do you have any other substitutions you need? My mind is drawing a blank - lol.

Been curious whether you have tried your recipe with adding gelatin (and possibly calcium) per Haidut's suggestion in a YT chat w Danny Roddy and per Tanka's thread Haidut's Bulgarian Bioenergtic Burger ?
I haven't added them yet for the meatloaf b/c I minimize my oven use in the summer months. And now it is time to restart cooking meatloaf
again :): !
But I did add gelatin already to my slow-cooker meatballs. They come out very nice, juicier I'd say. I use 1 Tbsp of Zint gelatin for 1 lb of ground beef.

Lollipop2

Been curious whether you have tried your recipe with adding gelatin (and possibly calcium) per Haidut's suggestion in a YT chat w Danny Roddy and per Tanka's thread Haidut's Bulgarian Bioenergtic Burger ?
I haven't added them yet for the meatloaf b/c I minimize my oven use in the summer months. And now it is time to restart cooking meatloaf
again :): !
But I did add gelatin already to my slow-cooker meatballs. They come out very nice, juicier I'd say. I use 1 Tbsp of Zint gelatin for 1 lb of ground beef.
I need to try :): Unfortunately these days I have to work full time and am frankly wiped at night. I stick to simple meals like chicken/beef enchiladas and tacos, eggs and roasted potatoes, etc. still Yummy but much quicker. On weekends I sometimes cook longer meals - need to head back to meatloaf and try that gelatin idea. Thanks for tagging me and reminding me ❤️

Lejeboca

I need to try :): Unfortunately these days I have to work full time and am frankly wiped at night. I stick to simple meals like chicken/beef enchiladas and tacos, eggs and roasted potatoes, etc. still Yummy but much quicker. On weekends I sometimes cook longer meals - need to head back to meatloaf and try that gelatin idea. Thanks for tagging me and reminding me ❤️

Yeah, life is busier for me too these days. Plus all the craziness around.
I will post my experiments with gelatin in the meatloaf when I cook it. Please post also if you decide to try it with gelatin.

Lollipop2

Yeah, life is busier for me too these days. Plus all the craziness around.
I will post my experiments with gelatin in the meatloaf when I cook it. Please post also if you decide to try it with gelatin.
I will!

Lejeboca

Cooked it yesterday :): Turned out pretty good. Basically, I've used the your recipe for 2 lb of ground beef with 2 Tbsp of gelatin.
I've mixed oatmeal with gelatin first and then added to ground beef, which was mixed with the rest already. But I don't think the sequence matters as long as gelatin is not dropped in like a glob...

Some more improvisations: Per my meatball experiments, adding mineral water really fluffs up the texture. So I've added 1/3 cup of mineral water to the mix in the end, mixed some more and shaped into a loaf.
1644129862636.png

(N.B. I do not put in bell peppers.)

Lollipop2

Cooked it yesterday :): Turned out pretty good. Basically, I've used the your recipe for 2 lb of ground beef with 2 Tbsp of gelatin.
I've mixed oatmeal with gelatin first and then added to ground beef, which was mixed with the rest already. But I don't think the sequence matters as long as gelatin is not dropped in like a glob...

Some more improvisations: Per my meatball experiments, adding mineral water really fluffs up the texture. So I've added 1/3 cup of mineral water to the mix in the end, mixed some more and shaped into a loaf.

(N.B. I do not put in bell peppers.)
Oh oh yummmmy, looks delightful and delicious like a delicacy ❤️ Thank you for circling back. Will definitely be trying this ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals