Solutions For Snoring?

OP
whit

whit

I think there exists a product like braces that goes in your mouth and which keeps your teeths/mouth at a certain position so you are unable to snore, and it positions your mouth in such a way that air can easily go in. Don't remember the name but I remember you can get it over the counter.
I also heard GABA-A can help with snoring, you should try out Haidut's 5a-DHP.

If you find the link feel free to share.
I've tried 5a-DHP but was not testing for snoring at the time.
I'll keep it in mind for future reference.
Maybe a combination of therapies will work better.

OP
whit

whit

The Theravent product review: the product is a sticky strip that's applied over the nostrils. It makes breathing in easy but exhaling is metered.
If the user has issues with breathing through the nose this product may not be for you. It does work consistently for me.

shepherdgirl

Just a thought: I know Ray has mentioned that a good test for hypothyroidism is the achilles reflex test. If I understand correctly, hypothyroid muscles and tendons are slow to relax. One big problem with snoring is that the soft palate and/or possibly septum are too relaxed. Also good thyroid level, i believe, promotes good CO2 level. Could there be some relation between snoring and thyroid status? Perhaps a problem with adequate muscle contraction/response as well? The oropharyngeal muscles "not being ready" to handle air flow? I seem to remember Ray discussing restless leg syndrome as the muscles not having a smooth response, possibly being related to hypothyroidism (again not positive i remember correctly and don't have time to find this now). I want to dig into this but don't have time right now.
Also I saw that oropharyngeal exercises are sometimes helpful for snoring.

Lucas

Just a thought: I know Ray has mentioned that a good test for hypothyroidism is the achilles reflex test. If I understand correctly, hypothyroid muscles and tendons are slow to relax. One big problem with snoring is that the soft palate and/or possibly septum are too relaxed. Also good thyroid level, i believe, promotes good CO2 level. Could there be some relation between snoring and thyroid status? Perhaps a problem with adequate muscle contraction/response as well? The oropharyngeal muscles "not being ready" to handle air flow? I seem to remember Ray discussing restless leg syndrome as the muscles not having a smooth response, possibly being related to hypothyroidism (again not positive i remember correctly and don't have time to find this now). I want to dig into this but don't have time right now.
Also I saw that oropharyngeal exercises are sometimes helpful for snoring.
hypothyroidism thickens the pharyngeal walls (tissue in the throat area), which narrows the upper airways.

OP
whit

whit

I've heard some people resolve the issue the first few weeks on the carnivore diet.
This of course is only anecdotal and not very Peaty.

Beastmode

In an email exchange with Ray Peat about snoring:

"Vitamin D, calcium, pregnenolone, and progesterone can improve night breathing."

OP
whit

whit

In a recent interview Ray Peat mentions using an ionizer to improve sleep.
Reference:
Jodellfit podcast

Has anyone had an experience with this?

CrystalClear

Hi whit, I've had a snoring issue for many years, but only recently started working on trying to resolve it. I used SnoreLab app to find at night I breathe through my nose. I try various things to try to lower my score.
I just purchased an ioniser and used it last night. I had given my room a thorough clean up a few days before, including mattress, so air quality was pretty good. Last night I got a lower score than the night before, but I also used nose vents/cones that I didn't use the night before either.
There seems to be a wide combination of factors that can help and hinder.
I am going to try inclined bed asap.
Hope you have had success with snoring issue over time.

orewashin

In a recent interview Ray Peat mentions using an ionizer to improve sleep.
Reference:
Jodellfit podcast

Has anyone had an experience with this?
What brand of ionizer? I'm sure there are ineffective brands, or unnecessarily expensive ones.

Would connecting yourself to the ionizer with a copper wire be more effective (which would be similar to grounding)?

Would ions make it into a CPAP machine?

OP
whit

whit

Hi whit, I've had a snoring issue for many years, but only recently started working on trying to resolve it. I used SnoreLab app to find at night I breathe through my nose. I try various things to try to lower my score.
I just purchased an ioniser and used it last night. I had given my room a thorough clean up a few days before, including mattress, so air quality was pretty good. Last night I got a lower score than the night before, but I also used nose vents/cones that I didn't use the night before either.
There seems to be a wide combination of factors that can help and hinder.
I am going to try inclined bed asap.
Hope you have had success with snoring issue over time.

Hey
Crystal Clear,
Thanks for the input.
I seem to have plateaued.
The attempts that work cause lack of quality sleep.

If you could link the type of ionizer your using it might help
All of us who suffer.

Vinny

I've lost fat recently and an unexpected but nice bonus was that my snoring had been 90% reduced

CrystalClear

Hey
Crystal Clear,
Thanks for the input.
I seem to have plateaued.
The attempts that work cause lack of quality sleep.

If you could link the type of ionizer your using it might help
All of us who suffer.

Hi whit,
it is a moderately priced Devanti brand I found on ebay australia. Filter replacements seem easy to get. It certainly helps to clear nasal passages.
I used it all last night however snoring score increased due to other factors. The night of the low score I was sleeping on my back for some of the night, last night slept on my sides. I think also what I ate at dinnertime might have made a difference.
So many variables are involved it seems in my case. I will go on trying though to lower my score.

Jib

I tape my mouth shut at night.

I use 1" wide Nexcare Durable Cloth medical tape. Also known as Durapore tape.

The 1" x 10 yards is the cheapest. You can usually find them on Amazon or eBay in small bulk quantities, like 6 rolls, for pretty cheap. Much cheaper than the ones that come in a dispenser. There's no need for a dispenser. Tears very easily by hand.

It has great adhesion. Much better than paper tape. But not so much that taking it off is any problem at all.

OP
whit

whit

Hi whit,
it is a moderately priced Devanti brand I found on ebay australia. Filter replacements seem easy to get. It certainly helps to clear nasal passages.
I used it all last night however snoring score increased due to other factors. The night of the low score I was sleeping on my back for some of the night, last night slept on my sides. I think also what I ate at dinnertime might have made a difference.
So many variables are involved it seems in my case. I will go on trying though to lower my score.

Hey CrystalClear,
Thanks for the input and the updates.
Keep it coming.
I don’t have any devices on in the room I sleep in to track the progress. So having someone here who has that is a great resource. I’m interested however as to such applications.

I decided to try an ionizer next and see what good it might do.
No harm in trying.
The air quality is pretty poor here so only good can come from it anyway.
Cheers

Vinny

Recoen

I had a friend who had bad apnea and snored loudly at night. After 2 days of 50mg TTFD (thiamine) this went away.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals