Solutions For Snoring?

schultz

No not yet.
What's your experience?

I have never used it myself, but Ray has mentioned it a couple times in regards to sleep apnea. It's not exactly what you said you have but you did mentioned CO2 in the original post so I just thought I would bring it up.

I searched the drug on pubmed and there are lots of recent studies on it.

Here are a few Peat quotes on the drug.

Dr. Ray Peat: Yeah. And there is a drug called acetazolamide. The brand name is Diamox. It used to be considered a diuretic, but it became popular to prevent altitude sickness because it causes you to retain carbon dioxide and hyperventilators are the people who are susceptible to altitude sickness. And so, taking this acetazolamide makes you retain your carbon dioxide by inhibiting the carbonic anhydrase enzyme and prevents altitude sickness. But it also prevents over-breathing and alkalosis at night. People who have sleep disordered breathing, it’s found that acetazolamide will usually cure that. And it’s very effective in treating asthma, which is one of the pretty direct ways to show that carbon dioxide deficiency is so closely related to asthma and other breathing disorders.

----------------

RAY PEAT: Yeah, the medical opinion is often that people don’t breathe enough during the night, but when you look at their changes of pH and the actual blood chemistry the usual thing is that they hyperventilate during the night because as their blood sugar is pushed down to go to sleep, their adrenaline comes up periodically and the adrenaline changed disposition of the sugar makes them have in effect higher estrogen, higher inflammatory hormones that drives hyperventilation and blow off too much carbon dioxide; then they don’t breathe for a while, so they wake up feeling like that they have died or have not been breathing enough. The best chemical treatment for that is a chemical called Diamox or Acetazolamide that causes the body to retain more carbon dioxide, which keeps stimulating the brain to keep breathing at the right speed but it prevents the body from losing the carbon dioxide and holds it in the blood... It’s well established as a cure basically for the sleep apnea.

artlange

I placed on order for Diamox from an On-line Canadian distributor. My Kaiser HMO Dr. would not write me a Rx, claiming that Diamox is not approved for Sleep Apnea, and they also don't want to encourage people to put themselves at risk by prescribing Diamox so they may go to high altitudes (I'm only going to 6800 ft.) without their CPAP machine. He said to bring a battery and solar recharging panel for the CPAP machine.

I will try the Diamox at sealevel first, with the CPAP machine and see what my AHI is compared to without Diamox. Typically my AHI with the CPAP machine is around 25. Without the CPAP I don't have a way to measure my AHI. Any suggestions?

OP
whit

whit

I have never used it myself, but Ray has mentioned it a couple times in regards to sleep apnea. It's not exactly what you said you have but you did mentioned CO2 in the original post so I just thought I would bring it up.

I searched the drug on pubmed and there are lots of recent studies on it.

Here are a few Peat quotes on the drug.

Dr. Ray Peat: Yeah. And there is a drug called acetazolamide. The brand name is Diamox. It used to be considered a diuretic, but it became popular to prevent altitude sickness because it causes you to retain carbon dioxide and hyperventilators are the people who are susceptible to altitude sickness. And so, taking this acetazolamide makes you retain your carbon dioxide by inhibiting the carbonic anhydrase enzyme and prevents altitude sickness. But it also prevents over-breathing and alkalosis at night. People who have sleep disordered breathing, it’s found that acetazolamide will usually cure that. And it’s very effective in treating asthma, which is one of the pretty direct ways to show that carbon dioxide deficiency is so closely related to asthma and other breathing disorders.

----------------

RAY PEAT: Yeah, the medical opinion is often that people don’t breathe enough during the night, but when you look at their changes of pH and the actual blood chemistry the usual thing is that they hyperventilate during the night because as their blood sugar is pushed down to go to sleep, their adrenaline comes up periodically and the adrenaline changed disposition of the sugar makes them have in effect higher estrogen, higher inflammatory hormones that drives hyperventilation and blow off too much carbon dioxide; then they don’t breathe for a while, so they wake up feeling like that they have died or have not been breathing enough. The best chemical treatment for that is a chemical called Diamox or Acetazolamide that causes the body to retain more carbon dioxide, which keeps stimulating the brain to keep breathing at the right speed but it prevents the body from losing the carbon dioxide and holds it in the blood... It’s well established as a cure basically for the sleep apnea.
Thanks Schultz. I was aware of the drug but not this particular application. Guess some homework is in order.

Mage

Hey there! I'm a newbie here, so I'm sorry if what I'm about to recommend is not 100% peaty, but I can relate to snoring problems a lot.

I've been recently using a combo of: mouth taping with a micropore (a thick one works best) + a breathe better nasal strip + eating a meal with some saturated fat and salt before bed (carrot salad, anyone?). Anecdoctally, it works wonders for me, I've used to wake up 2-3 times a night to pee and my parter complained a lot about my snoring and she would often wake me up to change positions bc I was snoring way too much. Also, I would often "wake myself up with my own snoring", almost like a jumpscare, and getting back to sleep after this was really hard.

With this "combo" I've been using, I can sleep 9+ hours without waking up and no snoring was noticed by me or my parter so far, with the exception of a single day when I've unconsciously took the micropore off, sleep is also way more restful. I'm not sure if this would work for anyone else, but it could be worth a try as it's pretty simple and inexpensive to do!

ken

upload_2017-7-1_3-37-39.png

Nick W.

Many months of using tape eventually trained me to sleep mouth closed.

Thank you Tara, it's heartening to hear of any success in the fight against airway constriction! I struggle with wisdom tooth pain, wish I'd heard of Mew before they began erupting years back.

With this "combo" I've been using, I can sleep 9+ hours without waking up and no snoring was noticed.

Good on you, and thank you for the tips on a pre-bedtime meal, Mage!

PSST! Here's some extra credit for the overachievers: Mew's "oral posture" seems to be limited by actual body posture, it even seems he's expanded his focus from just malocclusion and narrow palates toward craniofacial dystrophy.

So... after a recommendation to take a Pilates class, I was fortunate enough to have found Dr. Evan Osar, via his excellent Pilates book co-authored with Marylee Bussard. He's a chiropractor who employs corrective exercise techniques to achieve realignment in his patients, and demonstrates tons of strength exercises on YouTube. His primary focus for new clients is breathing retraining (the body largely creates stability by using the force of the diaphragm against the inward pressure of the Transverse Abdominus). His "Functional Anatomy of the Pilates Core" is fantastic resource to learn more about this.

I have zero affiliations here, just sharing what I find to be the best resources. Two others I'm still checking out: Andreo Spina and Brent Brookbush

OP
whit

whit

Thank you Tara, it's heartening to hear of any success in the fight against airway constriction! I struggle with wisdom tooth pain, wish I'd heard of Mew before they began erupting years back.

Good on you, and thank you for the tips on a pre-bedtime meal, Mage!
Thanks Nick for the insight. I'll enjoy looking into these.
Sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth.:(

PSST! Here's some extra credit for the overachievers: Mew's "oral posture" seems to be limited by actual body posture, it even seems he's expanded his focus from just malocclusion and narrow palates toward craniofacial dystrophy.

So... after a recommendation to take a Pilates class, I was fortunate enough to have found Dr. Evan Osar, via his excellent Pilates book co-authored with Marylee Bussard. He's a chiropractor who employs corrective exercise techniques to achieve realignment in his patients, and demonstrates tons of strength exercises on YouTube. His primary focus for new clients is breathing retraining (the body largely creates stability by using the force of the diaphragm against the inward pressure of the Transverse Abdominus). His "Functional Anatomy of the Pilates Core" is fantastic resource to learn more about this.

I have zero affiliations here, just sharing what I find to be the best resources. Two others I'm still checking out: Andreo Spina and Brent Brookbush

Mage

Pretty interesting, I'll check it out!!

We excell at oddities around here but if occasionally we do reach bizarre well... that's just a bonus.

Not that we care * starts bag brathing under red light * :sweatsmile:

OP
whit

whit

I placed on order for Diamox from an On-line Canadian distributor. My Kaiser HMO Dr. would not write me a Rx, claiming that Diamox is not approved for Sleep Apnea, and they also don't want to encourage people to put themselves at risk by prescribing Diamox so they may go to high altitudes (I'm only going to 6800 ft.) without their CPAP machine. He said to bring a battery and solar recharging panel for the CPAP machine.

I will try the Diamox at sealevel first, with the CPAP machine and see what my AHI is compared to without Diamox. Typically my AHI with the CPAP machine is around 25. Without the CPAP I don't have a way to measure my AHI. Any suggestions?

Any news on your experience with diamox?
I'm considering the posibilities myself.

artlange

Any news on your experience with diamox?
I'm considering the posibilities myself.
the canadian pharmacy is really slow to deliver. Amazon 1 or two days. these guys two weeks (or more?) I'm still waiting.
I tried 2 in wide paper tape under my nose and mouth CPAP mask, and have increased the performance by a lot: gross leaks mostly zero, AHI often under 10, however some nights still 24 with the tape. without the tape, usually in the 20's, very seldom 10. without the tape I used a chin strap and this was really a pain (both ways figuratively and literally) I do have a slight anxiety taping my mouth shut under the CPAP mask. The anxiety is reduced each day with better CPAP numbers. I have been using the 2 in wide tape, however, a single 1 in strip might be easier to pull off in the morning than the 2 in wide tape and still be effective. All night use with some pressing of the CPAP mask makes the paper tape stick very well.

OP
whit

whit

I had a unique experience a few nights ago.
It was reported to me that little was heard from my side of the bed.
There have been numerous experiments in the attempt to lessen the noise level.
A hearty meal heavy with well cooked mushrooms with red sauce and ground beef.
A side of mashed potatoes and white sweet potato stix. One quart of whole milk and half a tsp. eggshell.
Later that evening a raw grated carrot washed and salted with a cup of aloe and ten drops of lapodin.
Half a quart of milk one cup coffee before bed and 1Tblsp. honey.
5 drops lapodin topically and two 400mg asprin.
Woke up early and well rested.
I'll attempt a repeat of this soon to confirm validity.

A.R

I had a unique experience a few nights ago.
It was reported to me that little was heard from my side of the bed.
There have been numerous experiments in the attempt to lessen the noise level.
A hearty meal heavy with well cooked mushrooms with red sauce and ground beef.
A side of mashed potatoes and white sweet potato stix. One quart of whole milk and half a tsp. eggshell.
Later that evening a raw grated carrot washed and salted with a cup of aloe and ten drops of lapodin.
Half a quart of milk one cup coffee before bed and 1Tblsp. honey.
5 drops lapodin topically and two 400mg asprin.
Woke up early and well rested.
I'll attempt a repeat of this soon to confirm validity.
How has your progress been getting on?

Any experiences using diamox?

OP
whit

whit

How has your progress been getting on?

Any experiences using diamox?

Well I've not gotten any diamox yet. I'm still not sure how it really works and the possible sideffects.
Right now diet is my main goal before supplementation.

I recently had a trip to a lower elevation that made the snoring much worse, so the theory of CO2 is winning.
The diet is helping considerably when coupled with breathing techniques.
Thanks for asking.

OP
whit

whit

I've recently been given a free sample pack of a homeopathic solution for snoring called Snorestop.
I've included a pic of the nasal spray option of the kit.
The first two times I tried it was right before retiring an it gave me palpitations and restlessness.
Oh yea, also I still snored all night.
I may give it one more try. If so I'll post the results.

Attachments

• 20171231_213203.jpg
    20171231_213203.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 6
OP
whit

whit

There are some products on the market
For solving the issue of snoring.
If affordable I will make an attempt to try them and report back to the community.

Last edited:
OP
whit

whit

I recently tried a newer product.
Theravent strips.
This product really worked quite well for the snoring, however I felt like I was suffocating and didn't sleep well at all.
I've tried it numerous times with similar results.
My ladybird really appreciated the good nights sleep.
I only use them on nights when the next morning isn't too early a call.

Attachments

• 15389676040001121235931.jpg
    15389676040001121235931.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 13
M

member 6316

I think there exists a product like braces that goes in your mouth and which keeps your teeths/mouth at a certain position so you are unable to snore, and it positions your mouth in such a way that air can easily go in. Don't remember the name but I remember you can get it over the counter.
I also heard GABA-A can help with snoring, you should try out Haidut's 5a-DHP.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals