Solutions For Snoring?

whit

For some time now there's been a growing issue in my nose.
Though my mouth remains closed the noise persists. Body position makes little difference.
I've seen ads for devices of all sorts. I'm curious if anyone has had success with these.
If there are any practical solutions I'd be greatly appreciative.
I have a theory that C02 levels are involved somehow.

OP
whit

whit

QUOTE="shepherdgirl, post: 243090, member: 3446"]just a few thoughts: have you tried sleeping on your side? A bed wedge? Are you congested?[/QUOTE]
I've always slept on my side. It does diminish the effect some but still persists.
What's a "bed wedge" and how do you use it?
I'm occasionally congested but there doesn't seem to be any correlation.

shepherdgirl

it's just a wedge - of foam, etc. - that raises the head and chest a small amount. It's supposed to help keep the airways open by preventing the tongue from falling back into the airway. You could probably just stack blankets in a slight wedge to try it out and see if it helps.
How do you know that your mouth stays closed when you sleep?
If I am congested then it is very hard to breathe through the nose and i usually end up snoring. I would imagine ongoing sinus issues could be problematic.

x-ray peat

I would agree that CO2 probably has something to do with it. Maybe try Buteyko or a rebreather. In the mean time breathe right nasal strips may work.

As for sinus issues you could try saline neti pot washes. I have also heard breathing the fumes from a drop of oil of oregano in a bowl of hot water can kill anything growing inside your sinuses.

Last edited:
OP
whit

whit

it's just a wedge - of foam, etc. - that raises the head and chest a small amount. It's supposed to help keep the airways open by preventing the tongue from falling back into the airway. You could probably just stack blankets in a slight wedge to try it out and see if it helps.
How do you know that your mouth stays closed when you sleep?
If I am congested then it is very hard to breathe through the nose and i usually end up snoring. I would imagine ongoing sinus issues could be problematic.
The wedge might be a possibility I'll give it a try.
As for the knowledge of weather my mouth stays closed I have to rely on my ladybird who happens to be the one annoyed by the snoring.

OP
whit

whit

I would agree that CO2 probably has something to do with it. Maybe try Buteyko or a rebreather. In the mean time breathe right nasal strips may work.

As for sinus issues you could try saline neti pot washes. I have also heard breathing the fumes from a drop of oil of oregano in a bowl of hot water can kill anything growing inside your sinuses.

I've tried the breathe right strips and it seems to be hit or miss; thats what triggered the possible Co2 connection in my brain.
I've done the nebulized bicarb and it's hit or miss as well. I've been considering some other Co2 therapies as well.
Buteyko is something that may work.

Low carbon dioxide levels cause knows problems including deviated septum's and issues like you're describing. Since this thread is about snoring, I will say that I snore even if I sleep sitting up which I generally do. Snoring is not harmful however.

Energizer

Keeping the metabolic rate and thyroid function up and getting plenty of nutrient rich foods and carbohydrates will help make more CO2.

Last edited:

shepherdgirl

Breathing through the nose can help with retaining more CO2 at night. If the mouth falls open, not only is less co2 retained, but it might sometimes be a cause of snoring too. They have snoring straps that keep the mouth closed, for example. But if your mouth is closed during sleep then it might be a different issue.

OP
whit

whit

You must sleep alone...
:rolling

Low carbon dioxide levels cause knows problems including deviated septum's and issues like you're describing. Since this thread is about snoring, I will say that I snore even if I sleep sitting up which I generally do. Snoring is not harmful however.
I can snore sitting up too.
I wonder if Co2islife has any insight to add to this subject.

Nick W.

Using breathable micropore tape over my mouth at night helps somewhat to reinforce good oral posture, though my mouth is often dry upon waking, which suggests it's not foolproof. I worry that when I don't have the tape, I'm even more likely to mouth breathe, given my Pavlovian reliance on it.

If you do snore, sleep on your right side (left side smushes the heart). I've heard it suggested to sew a tennis ball on the back of your pajamas to keep from rolling onto your back.

OP
whit

whit

Using breathable micropore tape over my mouth at night helps somewhat to reinforce good oral posture, though my mouth is often dry upon waking, which suggests it's not foolproof. I worry that when I don't have the tape, I'm even more likely to mouth breathe, given my Pavlovian reliance on it.

If you do snore, sleep on your right side (left side smushes the heart). I've heard it suggested to sew a tennis ball on the back of your pajamas to keep from rolling onto your back.
Right side ehh ok. I don't want to wake up with a smooshed heart if I even woke up. Is that a problem?
Yea I've heard of the tennisball method. Problem is I all ready sleep with my mouth closed on my side.
So does the sound of tape make your mouth dry?;)

Last edited:

Nick W.

I should have re-read your question before posting, seems my response came up short!

While I can't recommend a device I do know a little bit. Adopting good oral posture (see Mike Mew's "Orthotropics" channel on YouTube) will ideally strengthen the tongue, preventing it from falling. Occasionally, in the wee hours, I find my tongue has slipped, and struggle in my near-sleep state to raise it back into place, which reminds me of holding my eyelids open when dead tired: possible, but... why... bother... zzzzzz. It really does get tired pressing against the palate.

Doing this very* consistently is thought to move the maxilla forward, creating more room for your tongue and less inward pressure constricting the airway.
*Mew suggests that doing it inconsistently may do more harm than good.

It seem a little overboard, but it's what I myself do, and what I'd recommend to a loved one before suggesting a device they may become even worse without having access to.

OP
whit

whit

I should have re-read your question before posting, seems my response came up short!

While I can't recommend a device I do know a little bit. Adopting good oral posture (see Mike Mew's "Orthotropics" channel on YouTube) will ideally strengthen the tongue, preventing it from falling. Occasionally, in the wee hours, I find my tongue has slipped, and struggle in my near-sleep state to raise it back into place, which reminds me of holding my eyelids open when dead tired: possible, but... why... bother... zzzzzz. It really does get tired pressing against the palate.

Doing this very* consistently is thought to move the maxilla forward, creating more room for your tongue and less inward pressure constricting the airway.
*Mew suggests that doing it inconsistently may do more harm than good.

It seem a little overboard, but it's what I myself do, and what I'd recommend to a loved one before suggesting a device they may become even worse without having access to.
Thanks a bunch nick I'll check it out.
I'm a bit weary of getting hooked on a device.

OP
whit

whit

I recently had a positive experience with a combination of activated charcoal and nebulized bicarb.
Apparently there was much less noise from the nose. We'll see if it's repeatable.
There is definitely correlation between how tired I am and the level of snoring.

tara

I worry that when I don't have the tape, I'm even more likely to mouth breathe, given my Pavlovian reliance on it.
Many months of using tape eventually trained me to sleep mouth closed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals