Slippery Slope SUPPLEMENTS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
spicy clam juice with tomato juice beers for the vitamin D!
Yes!! I like the way you think! I made a curry with a bottle of clam juice and put in some mushrooms and a pho flavored chicken bone broth, and split among three of us we got more than 100% of our vitamin D.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow look at the B12 in these mussels,1130%! I am gonna give these a try!

“Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, is an essential vitamin that your body needs but cannot produce.”

Attachments

• E7BE0F8F-7B3D-4C69-802F-595094A8E01A.jpeg
    E7BE0F8F-7B3D-4C69-802F-595094A8E01A.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 08AE629E-6DFD-4A0D-B670-DF6655958CF7.jpeg
    08AE629E-6DFD-4A0D-B670-DF6655958CF7.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 15
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow look at the B12 in these mussels,1130%! I am gonna give these a try!

“Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, is an essential vitamin that your body needs but cannot produce.”

The canned mussels were awesome! I am gonna fry, in ghee, a Chile cheese pupusa, for lunch today, and scatter the other half can of them on it, giving me more than 500% of my B-12, no supplement necessary!

Attachments

• C09B9F38-92E1-486D-A3A1-6B3C317B7F9C.jpeg
    C09B9F38-92E1-486D-A3A1-6B3C317B7F9C.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 96BD998D-A47F-4A07-9E84-69C959DD757C.jpeg
    96BD998D-A47F-4A07-9E84-69C959DD757C.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 7F585403-23D7-41E2-B8A0-5830A865ADCF.jpeg
    7F585403-23D7-41E2-B8A0-5830A865ADCF.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 7FCD0FB1-90FD-432E-85C9-C682AC1E48CC.jpeg
    7FCD0FB1-90FD-432E-85C9-C682AC1E48CC.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 8
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“…whether you are 18 or 80. Yes, I know it is hard to believe this statement but that is the conclusion of the study after examining the link between lifestyle (and environment) and cognitive function in a group of people with ages spanning the 18-89 years interval. The conclusion of the study was that an 80-year old one can be just as sharp as a person decades younger provided the "oldie" has at least a high school education, does not smoke, does not abuse drugs, does not have traumatic brain injury (TBI) or diabetes/depression. So, very little about cognitive function seems to be linked to genes or age, rather than to making health-promoting choices. Here is another choice the article did not mention but is probably much more important than the ones it did mention - avoiding professional medicine. Unbeknownst to most people, iatrogenic reasons are the THIRD leading cause of death in Western countries! So, just avoiding going to the doctor (unless it is an emergency) would add more years to your life than eliminating completely stroke (cerebrovascular diseases), Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, infectious disease, kidney disease .”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Emodin, an anti-inflammatory substance found in cascara sagrada bark and other plants, is similar to other molecules that have been used for treating cancer, and one of its effects is to lower HIF: "Consistently, emodin attenuated the expression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), VEGF, hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha (HIF-1!), MMP-1 and MMP-13 at mRNA level in IL-1" and LPS-treated synoviocytes under hypoxia" (Ha, et al., 2011). MMP-1 and MMP-13 are collagenase enzymes involved in metastasis. When cells are fully nourished, supplied with protective hormones, and properly illuminated, their ability to communicate should be able to govern their movements, preventing--and possibly reversing--metastatic migration.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Niacinamide is another nutrient that lowers serum phosphate (Cheng, et al., 2008), by inhibiting intestinal absorption (Katai, et al., 1989), and also by reducing its reabsorption by the kidneys (Campbell, et al., 1989). Niacinamide's reduction of free fatty acids by inhibiting lipolysis, protecting the use of glucose for energy, might be involved in its effect on phosphate (by analogy with the phosphate lowering action of a deficiency of polyunsaturated fatty acids). Aspirin is another antilipolytic substance (de Zentella, et al., 2002) which stimulates energy production from sugar and lowers phosphate, possibly combined with improved magnesium retention (Yamada and Morohashi, 1986).“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Carbon dioxide, glycine, GABA, saturated fatty acids (for example, Nanji, et al., 1997), vitamin K, coenzyme Q10, niacinamide, magnesium, red light, thyroid hormone, progesterone, testosterone, and pregnenolone are factors that can be increased to protect against inappropriate cellular excitation.

All of the nutritional factors that participate in mitochondrial respiration contribute to maintaining a balance between excessive excitation and protective inhibition. Riboflavin, coenzyme Q10, vitamin K, niacinamide, thiamine, and selenium are the nutrients that most directly relate to mitochondrial energy production.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some of the benefit from antibiotics probably results from the reduced endotoxin stress when intestinal bacteria are suppressed. However, antibiotics can kill the intestinal bacteria that produce vitamin K, so it's important to include that in the diet when antibiotics are used.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some fibers, such as raw carrots, that are effective for lowering endotoxin absorption also contain natural antibiotics, so regular use of carrots should be balanced by occasional supplementation with vitamin K, or by occasionally eating liver or broccoli.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Aspirin, which is antilipolytic, decreasing the release of free fatty acids, as well as inhibiting their conversion to prostaglandins, lowers the production of stress-induced aldosterone, and helps to lower blood pressure, if it's taken in the evening, to prevent the increase of free fatty acids during the night. Aspirin increases insulin sensitivity. A low salt diet increases the free fatty acids, leading to insulin resistance, increasing free fatty acids in the blood, and contributing to atherosclerosis “ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The most highly unsaturated fats found in fish oil break down into chemicals that block the use of glucose and oxygen.” Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The polyunsaturated fatty acids differ from the saturated fats in many ways, besides their shape and their melting temperature, and each type of fatty acid is unique in its combination of properties. The polyunsaturated fatty acids, made by plants (in the case of fish oils, they are made by algae), are less stable than the saturated fats, and the omega-3 and omega-6 fats derived from them, are very susceptible to breaking down into toxins, especially in warm-blooded animals. Other differences between saturated and polyunsaturated fats are in their effects on surfaces (as surfactant), charges (dielectric effects), acidity, and their solubility in water relative to their solubility in oil. The polyunsaturated fatty acids are many times more water soluble than saturated fatty acids of the same length. This property probably explains why only palmitic acid functions as a surfactant in the lungs, allowing the air sacs to stay open, while unsaturated fats cause lung edema and respiratory failure.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some of the clearest evidence of the protective effects of saturated fats has been published by A.A. Nanji's group, showing that they can reverse the inflammation, necrosis, and fibrosis of alcoholic liver disease, even with continued alcohol consumption, while fish oil and other unsaturated fats exacerbate the problem.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“More research is needed, but stinging nettle is also said to:

Promote lactation

Stimulate hair growth

Help control blood sugar in patients with diabetes

Reduce bleeding connected to gingivitis

Treat disorders of the kidneys and urinary tract

Provide relief from water retention

Prevent or treat diarrhea

Decrease menstrual flow

Provide asthma relief

Heal wounds

Treat hemorrhoids

Stimulate contractions in pregnant women

Treat insect bites

Treat tendonitis

Treat anemia“

PeskyPeater

“Yes the mint issue has come up before on this forum. I use to put the extract in a lot of my desserts prior to first hearing about this issue.. I'm pretty sure Ray said most herbs that are leaves will raise estrogen. Roots seem to be the better choice due to the estrogen issue. I avoid mint, but I often have orange/lemon oil wafting around my house.
Lavender will definitely increase estrogen. they often tell parents not to use in high quantities with babies. I'm not sure if the therapeutic properties of the these herbs out-way the estrogen aspects.
I have tea tree in my first aid kit and tend to use it only when I have a rash or insect bite. if you're using every day then it will probably have a estrogen impact.”

myths, lavender and tea tree are not estrogenic

PeskyPeater

I've been avoiding lavender, tea tree, and mint oils since I discovered they are estrogenic. Does anyone know which essential oils are safe to use? I have a lot and don't want to just throw all of them away...
Nonsense. peppermint, tea tree, lavender, are not estrogenic essential oils. I like eucalyptus though

OP
Rinse & rePeat
myths, lavender and tea tree are not estrogenic
I don’t know about tea tree, but I have read a lot about lavender being estrogenic. Can you post something to the contrary, because I recently dried some of my growing lavender to make lavender soda and now I have put it on hold.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“D., a co-investigator for the new study, previously found laboratory evidence that lavender and tea tree oil have estrogenic (estrogen-like) properties and anti-androgenic (testosterone inhibiting-like) activities, meaning they compete or hinder the hormones that control male characteristics, which could affect puberty.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“While weak estrogenic results may be seen in vitro (outside a living organism, ie. a test tube), it does not mean that these results can be replicated in vivo (inside a living organism). Much more testing would need to be done before one could conclude that tea tree oil or lavender oil are indeed endocrine disruptors”.
The plastic polystyrene trays used for lab testing contain xenoestrogenic compounds. Essential oils serve as a solvent, so it’s entirely possible the plastic lab trays could have contaminated the essential oil samples.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals