Slippery Slope SUPPLEMENTS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The low carbon dioxide production of hypothyroidism (e.g., Lee and Levine, 1999), and the respiratory alkalosis of estrogen excess, are often overlooked. An adequate supply of calcium, and sometimes supplementation of salt and baking soda, can increase the tissue content of CO2.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The Central Dogma continues to be influential, even after a series of revisions. Until the 1990s, the only "practical" fruit of genetics had been genocide, but now it has become possible to insert genes into bacteria, and to use the bacteria to produce industrial quantities of specific proteins. In principle, that could be useful, although bovine growth hormone poses a threat to the health of both people and cows, human growth hormone poses a threat to athletes and old people, and human insulin could increase the number of treated diabetics. A deranged culture will put anything cheap to bad use.”—Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The serotonin syndrome has been reported in users of St. John’s wort as an antidepressant. Since the other large neutral amino acids compete with tryptophan for entry into cells, the branched chain amino acids have some anti-serotonin activity, and this could be a justification for their use by athletes, since tryptophan and serotonin decrease glycogen stores and reduce endurance.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Serotonin, like histamine, has its proper physiological functions, but it is a mediator of stress that has to be systematically balanced by the systems that support high energy respiratory metabolism. The use of supplements of tryptophan, hydroxytryptophan, or of the serotonin promoting antidepressant drugs, seems to be biologically inappropriate.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The government’s irresponsible actions helped to create the drug culture, in which health warnings about drugs were widely disregarded, because the government had been caught in blatant fraud. In more recent years, government warnings about tryptophan supplements have been widely dismissed, because the government has so often lied. Even when the public health agencies try to do something right, they fail, because they have done so much wrong.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some people who know about the involvement of calcium in aging, stress, and degeneration suggest eating a low calcium diet, but since we all have skeletons, dietary calcium restriction cant protect our cells, and in fact, it usually intensifies the process of calcification of the soft tissues. Statistics from several countries have clearly shown that the mortality rate (especially from arteriosclerotic heart disease, but also from some other diseases, including cancer) is lower than average in regions that have hard water, which often contains a very large amount of either calcium or magnesium.

Many studies have shown that dietary calcium (or vitamin D, which increases calcium absorption) can have very important antiinflammatory effects.”
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“It is well established that several antioxidant nutrients are protective factors in heart disease. The medical establishment has expended a great amount of money and time in the last 60 years fighting the use of vitamin E or selenium for treating or preventing heart disease, though many physicians now take vitamin E themselves.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Broccoli is one powerful food source which may help us solve our vitamin D deficiency epidemic. However, one 30ml shot of Wheatgrass juice contains the same amount of minerals and vitamins as 1 1/2 lbs of broccoli, making it an even better way to ensure you receive more than enough Vitamin D.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“100% of the RDA is intended to provide the nutrient requirements for about 98% of the population. Most people will get what they need from food. Many North Americans feel that more vitamins are better, or take a vitamin pill as an insurance policy against an inadequate diet. Both of these have been reasonable hypotheses, but many studies have been done, and have not shown any convincing benefit of taking vitamins in absence of a clear medical reason for deficiency.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Having low levels of magnesium has been associated with heart disease, diabetes, and osteoporosis (brittle bones). Too-low levels of magnesium is rare, but it is more likely among those who (MedlinePlus, 2021):

Have alcoholism
Have a gastrointestinal disease or surgery that causes your body to not properly absorb nutrients
Have type 2 diabetes
Are older

Calcium is another mineral important for bone health. It can be found in foods like milk, yogurt, and cheese. In the US, calcium is under-consumed by 30% of men and 60% of women (USDA, 2020). A supplement may be called for if there is insufficient dietary intake of the mineral. Not getting enough calcium can lead to reduced bone strength and osteoporosis (NIH, 2022).

Taking both minerals together can result in a decreased absorption of magnesium if you take very high doses of calcium (2600mg daily). It's recommended that people at high risk for magnesium deficiency who take calcium supplements take the calcium at bedtime instead of during a meal. That's because taking the calcium supplement during a meal could negatively affect how much dietary magnesium is being taken in (NMD, 2022).”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“There is some evidence that taking high amounts of vitamin C (over 1,500mg) can reduce copper absorption. The finding was based on research completed among young men, and it is likely that it only affects people whose intake of copper is low (NMD, 2022).”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives. In the winter I use vitamin D, but only on my skin in an oil. Using a thyroid supplement temporarily might help to lower your estrogen." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Although occasionally a short supplementation of progesterone, pregnenolone, or thyroid will decisively correct a problem, most often there has been something environmental-nutritional that had to be changed. If people don’t change their diet and/or problematic surroundings, then they are dependent on hormones, stimulants, antiinflammatories, etc." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Benzyl alcohol by itself is quite toxic, and was responsible for the death or brain damage of thousands of babies in hospitals, even in the small amounts that remained as residue in tubing after they had been rinsed with "bacteriostatic water," which contains 0.9% benzyl alcohol, and which is still used as the vehicle for many injections, such as penicillin and vitamin B12.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Mushrooms are one of the best vegetable sources of niacin, providing 2.5 mg per cup (70 grams) — that’s 15% and 18% of the RDA for men and women, respectively (40).

This makes these tasty fungi a good option for vegetarians or vegans looking for natural sources of niacin.

Mushrooms grown under sunlamps also produce vitamin D and are one of the best plant-based food sources of this vitamin (41Trusted Source).

Interestingly, studies have found that consuming vitamin D through mushrooms is as effective as supplements for raising vitamin D levels in deficient adults (42Trusted Source).”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The cheapness of the seed oils led to their use in animal feeds, to promote growth. By the 1940s, the polyunsaturated oils, including fish oils, were known to cause deterioration of the brain, muscles, and gonads in a variety of animals, and this was found to be caused mainly by their destruction of vitamin E. A little later, the disease called steatitis or yellow fat disease was found to be produced in various animals that were fed too much fish or fish oil.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oops….

“In declaring EPA and DHA to be safe, the FDA neglected to evaluate their antithyroid, immunosuppressive, lipid peroxidative (Song et al., 2000), light sensitizing, and antimitochondrial effects, their depression of glucose oxidation (Delarue et al., 2003), and their contribution to metastatic cancer (Klieveri, et al., 2000), lipofuscinosis and liver damage, among other problems.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The humble mushroom, when exposed to UV light – either by sunlight or a UV lamp – can produce a healthy amount of vitamin D, according to research published in Nutrients (opens in new tab) journal. In fact, 100g of mushrooms, if eaten before the best before date, can provide 10 μg of vitamin D. This is two thirds of the RDA for adults, making it a useful dietary addition for ensuring adequate vitamin D.

Mushrooms also contain other goodness including various B vitamins, which can support the health of our hearts, as well as supporting our nervous system. Some B vitamins also help the body break down and use energy from food.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I remember when I first started supplementing zinc I got to a point my joints were hurting really bad. two other forum members reported this symptom. I stopped supplementing zinc. past three weeks I have noticed something. Every single time I consume zinc my asthma gets exacerbated very badly. hell i Just end up getting way more allergies.
I tested this like 8 times to ensure it was the zinc. It’s bizarre how such a thing is not reported to be an issue.

my only theory for why this is happening is zinc is shuttling more retinol cause that would increase th2?

any ideas folks ?

it may be time for a big supplement break“

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals