Insect Bites

peatra

Thought this might be of interest to people here as we get into summery insect-season in the Northern Hemisphere. I've always been prone to large welts from bites. I was out in my garden yesterday and got a number of bites, all of which swelled up - not so terribly badly as when my health was poor, but it was still an immediate, noticeable reaction. I hadn't yet scratched to exacerbate the bites either. I happened to take a handful of supplements with food just afterwards - 100,000 IU vit A, b vitamins, n-acetyl cysteine, and cat's claw - and a couple of hours later I noticed the reaction had just disappeared. Not a typical progression for me. It's hard to say which one was the decisive supplement but I am guessing vitamin A. It makes sense that supplements could help as it is a histamine/inflammatory reaction. This makes me suspect that there actually aren't people who are bitten by mosquitos more or less, which many claim, but actually people who are more or less susceptible to reactions based on their health status.

paper_clips43

Thats not my experience. I watched and watched as the mosquitos would land on select individuals and not land on others. After many discussions I personally came up with the theory that mosquitos were attracted to people with higher blood pressure. Thats just my theory. I am interested in this though.

Thats cool you found out how to relieve the inflammation form your bites.

tara

paper_clips43 said:
Thats not my experience. I watched and watched as the mosquitos would land on select individuals and not land on others. After many discussions I personally came up with the theory that mosquitos were attracted to people with higher blood pressure. Thats just my theory. I am interested in this though.

I think the local biters are selective too. But they've always liked me, and I have mostly had lowish to normal blood pressure.

treelady

I was on Lamictal for seizures for a short time and I was bombarded with bugs. Now no bites. I have read otherwise, but I also think B1 helps me. I was taking it when I was on Lamictal but it seemed like the drug decreased it.

paper_clips43

tara said:
paper_clips43 said:

I think the local biters are selective too. But they've always liked me, and I have mostly had lowish to normal blood pressure.

Hmm yeah... ok my other theory was high stress hormones. Although now that I am writing this I remembered reading somewhere they smell C02. So people that put off a lot of C02 would be high potential targets...

tara

paper_clips43 said:
tara said:
paper_clips43 said:

Hmm yeah... ok my other theory was high stress hormones. Although now that I am writing this I remembered reading somewhere they smell C02. So people that put off a lot of C02 would be high potential targets...

Yeah, CO2.
But also, there is a rumour that you can put them off your smell by eating enough of some B-vits - can't remember which ones.

OP
P

peatra

it could be both things having an effect - some people bitten more and some people having a stronger reaction to bites so they seem to be bitten more. i have also heard that type o blood means you attract more mosquitos.

tomisonbottom

So......I got bit by a tick (I think). I tried googling what kinda it was, but couldn't find a picture of it. It was grey, not brown like the pictures.
But it was about a week ago, and I still have a little red bump. Wondering what would be the best way to treat it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals